Sign in to follow this  
Darklords

Exploration: Part 1 - Public Testing Round 2!

Open and read the text.  It will give you a map grid and an item to look for (colossi, guard tower, archery tower, mission structure) and a range around that map grid to look for said item.  Good luck.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

Im using the map dump it doesnt help

SmeJack, its a pattern matching thing. thats why its not helping you, you are not seeing where the pattern matches up. its hit or miss for me sometimes. Feels

1 minute ago, Tomatoes said:

What do we do about maps that have no hints?

unknown.png

This is currently my problem as well.  the maps aren't that bad to find with the circle giving you an area to search, but I'm trying to find a guard tower that is 'within 7 map squares'  that is a 14x14 area that I need to search with no other clues.  this will be pretty trivial on live where I'm sure all the guard towers will be mapped fairly quickly, but I want to TEST and can't get past this clue...

• Like 1

how likely is it that people will have multiple treasure maps going on at the same time? If its likely that more than one or two will be active, then i think we should see about a container to hold them in, like a treasure seekers notebook or whatever you want to call it.

Edited by Tomatoes
  • Like 1

I think this is a bug. Spamming "forage" repetitively on the same "picked clean" tile still awards the casket.

Seeing how on live this will be tied to rare rolls will probably not work there, but Im not sure, so Im reporting this anyway.

Either way for now it's a decent way to cheat yourself some maps. You welcome, fellow testers lol.

6D1Qe3S.png

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Vessel said:

I think this is a bug. Spamming "forage" repetitively on the same "picked clean" tile still awards the casket.

Seeing how on live this will be tied to rare rolls will probably not work there, but Im not sure, so Im reporting this anyway.

Either way for now it's a decent way to cheat yourself some maps. You welcome, fellow testers lol.

6D1Qe3S.png

That is just a result of how its setup to give them so often on test, won't happen on live servers.

• Like 2

I think this is also broken. "squares of Q12 and ." The intent was to have another square there, yes? Or is it like map smudges, intended to throw off?

Also would've made those guard towers clues ever so more tolerable becasue as it stands right now these are incredibly difficult. (on test, on live those should be way easier)

Spoiler

33I1cmU.png

Edited by Vessel

18 minutes ago, Vessel said:

I think this is also broken. "squares of Q12 and ." The intent was to have another square there, yes? Or is it like map smudges, intended to throw off?

Also would've made those guard towers clues ever so more tolerable becasue as it stands right now these are incredibly difficult. (on test, on live those should be way easier)

Hide contents

33I1cmU.png

Thanks for the report; after the "and" it's supposed to mention a nearby village. We'll have that fixed shortly.

• Like 1

Here are my thoughts after several hours of testing the changes.

I spammed myself an 80ql map, and it gave me a map clue.  The 'hint' was a huge help in finding the right spot on the map using the clue and the map dump.  So off I went, where I quickly found the first problem....now that there are no distance messages on examine, finding the right area is much easier, but finding the right spot to dig is SOOOOOO much harder.  I really think the examaine messages need to remain.  My map clue was easy to figure out where I needed to go, but figuring out the right spot in the landscape is near impossible without just spamming dig, which is much worse then spamming examine.  and a higher res map won't help...imagne the spot being in the middle of an Olive forest.

However, I got lucky and found the right spot, dispatched the guardians, and opened up my second clue.  find a specific guard tower within 7 map squares of Q-22.  14x14 map squares is close to 25% of the map, and there were no additional clues.  after several hours of aimlessly roaming, I gave up.  Unfortunately this is simply WAY to tedious to test.  I understand that these guard tower and collosuss clues will be much easier on test....players will probably have them all mapped out in a few weeks, but I've got way better things to do with my time then visually search a 14x14 grid for a particular guard tower.

So while I think this is a step in the right direction, I really think we STILL need the distance message from Examine.  spamming examine is not fun, but I think it won't be used much with the new hints, and once structures start getting mapped

• Like 3

Bug: I have a map that when I click the minimize button it locks the game up and you have to force close the game and reboot in order to open it back up. 

Steps to Replicate Open your Treasure map then click the minimize button the entire game will lock up.

Edited by BattleWall

After some testing (3 maps) and ending on the WEST coast  beach for clue 1 of 3 on the third map I have a question:

• Different difficulties, the harder the less common they will be but the larger the end rewards will be. 
    • Novice(1/5 chance on rare roll)(1-29ql)
      • Will be between 2-3 steps long
      • Will have very small combat challenges occasionally.
      • Will not be terribly far from the locations they are found.
    • Challenging(1/10 chance on rare roll, supreme rolls will always give one)(30-59ql)
      • Can be 3-5 steps long
      • Will have decent sized and not infrequent combat challenges.
      • Will be a moderate distance from the locations they are found.
    • Difficult(1/25 chance on rare roll, fantastic rolls will always give one)(60 - 100ql)
      • Can be 4-6 steps long
      • Will always have difficult creatures to kill for most every step
      • Will be long distances away from the locations they are found.

Could it be that the map clues dont look for the first clue around the area where they are found, but where you open the dirty caskets? If yes that would make a difference when and where you open the caskets you get on the start or during the treasure hunt, Making it a lot easier to return to your starting point after each step to open the casket. This way you would search over the same area again and again, making finding towers etc. a lot easier.

When I open a ql 3 map casket that I have found in the starter town in the middle of the server and it sends me to the west coast thats quite a bit more than "not be terribly far" from the point it was found.

Edited by Bekador

Do remember live maps tend to have a little more clutter on them, you're more likely to see a road/paving in a 100x100 square than the green splotches on test, so it's not too bad there. 

For example, the second a map hits a bit of road it's dead simple to find

XVTs5u2.png

8oWcfTf.png

I think a lot of this will need live runs and then tweaks with whatever part 2 is aimed at including tbh 

Edited by Archaed
  • Like 4

Just a quick question as when we had our treasure hunting mod on Mystic Highlands we had to make sure of this.

Treasure maps will never have the treasure location in water or on the side of big slopes like mountains right, as they are pretty much inaccessible.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Wulfrock said:

Just a quick question as when we had our treasure hunting mod on Mystic Highlands we had to make sure of this.

Treasure maps will never have the treasure location in water or on the side of big slopes like mountains right, as they are pretty much inaccessible.

Thanks.

this was already stated, but yes, it avoids any inaccessible terrain

Speedrun:

[17:19:45] You carefully work to open it up without damaging what's inside...

[17:26:20] You find a piece of parchment.

[17:31:33] You find a piece of parchment.

[17:34:26] You reveal a large treasure chest, it looks like its falling apart and may not last very long on the surface!

15 minutes from finding to discovery on a 3 stage map. 

• Like 1

Another bug found is that the "Show Hint" Circle does not stay zoomed in on the map. If you zoom out of the map the circle covers a larger section of the map than it does when your zoomed in.

aMicGDg.png

SH8FT8M.png

2 hours ago, Budda said:

Just wanted to add in regards to matching treasure maps to the in-game world map - yes we realise it's a bit difficult at the moment, but we have something that will address this slated for a later update. While not a perfect solution, for now the map dumps should have that extra detail needed to help match locations when the world map is missing some details.

I want to say that the idea of a multi-colour treasure map is a bit weird to me.  I would have thought these would be more like a charcoal drawing (so black, with maybe some red or green inked in as well), with features outlined with either symbols in them or labels ("oak forest" or a picture of an oak).  That would certainly add to the immersion of it, and would remove the ambiguity of subtle changes of shade.

Or, think of Tolkien's maps.  There are a variety of styles, but all are simple yet clear.  With a decent treasure map, the circle and other helps might not even be needed.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Darklords said:

Removed distance estimation on examination.

Really need to have some distance or direction estimation in there somewhere, if not on examination then on 'dig for treasure'. Otherwise it get to be like the old tree chopping missions from before the glow was added.

1 hour ago, Archaed said:

Don't see that stated in either the OP here, or the previous round's post. While it does say will not be super close to villages or in an enclosed area, or in a cave, there is nothing said about inaccessible terrain such as sides of mountains.

It maybe that the same idea of accessibility that is used for rifts is also used here, but that still results in rifts appearing in some difficult to access places (such as on top of flat tops on Xanadu).

• Like 2

Completed "Hunting for Clues" and no reward was given after clicking claim. Relogged just to check and nothing.

LLLYx9u.png

Just now, Gumbert said:

Completed "Hunting for Clues" and no reward was given after clicking claim. Relogged just to check and nothing.

LLLYx9u.png

Yeah can confirm - I did that too and asked people to double check. 

Other journal entires work just fine, or at least one that I tested(Basic Training: Pottery)

2 hours ago, Archaed said:

I also did not see this stated anywhere, that is why I asked :)

1 hour ago, TheTrickster said:

I want to say that the idea of a multi-colour treasure map is a bit weird to me.  I would have thought these would be more like a charcoal drawing (so black, with maybe some red or green inked in as well), with features outlined with either symbols in them or labels ("oak forest" or a picture of an oak).  That would certainly add to the immersion of it, and would remove the ambiguity of subtle changes of shade.

Or, think of Tolkien's maps.  There are a variety of styles, but all are simple yet clear.  With a decent treasure map, the circle and other helps might not even be needed.

We did test this kind of style originally but it became too hard to differentiate the different tile types (i.e. whats forest, clay, sand, etc).

• Like 3

The "hint" circle is okay, but vague.  It is great to for the initial "get to that area" stage but after that is no more help.  The lack of anything on examine has now made the search far worse than the bad experience it was before.  For a chest out in the wilderness (no towers, no villages) with just a map and no text clue, in mountainous and wooded terrain, it is an exercise in frustration.  I genuinely hated it and only continued out of stubbornness.

[16:47:35] Welcome back, Thetrickster! Oracle [PvE Test]

[17:54:22] You reveal a large treasure chest, it looks like its falling apart and may not last very long on the surface!

Over an hour, when I had already matched the treasure map to the dumped map before I logged out last night.

14 minutes ago, Budda said:

We did test this kind of style originally but it became too hard to differentiate the different tile types (i.e. whats forest, clay, sand, etc).

Nice!   Honestly I am just picturing something as simple as an outline with "forest" or "sand" written in it.  😁

• Like 2