Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Exploration: Part 1 - Public Testing!

I think some frustrations will clear once this goes live and we can do this on servers we're at least mostly familiar with.

Glad to see the loot is gonna be revised. Personally, I'd just say get rid of the random stuff that's not really special. Leather, cotton, wemp plants? Please, god no, at that point just drop more gems.

• Like 7

Thank you both, managed to get the test to work, but then the server closed down!

4 minutes ago, Madnath said:

Personally, I'd just say get rid of the random stuff that's not really special. Leather, cotton, wemp plants? Please

Is it weird that I like this stuff and want to see more of it?

Like hell yeah, gimme some rare sassafras. Gimme some silver ribbons. 

Give me a chest filled to the brim with teeth.

Give me a chest filled with hostile mobs!

I'm already bored with wemp and charcoal and cotton and tar and leather - the rewards don't need to necessarily be better, just weirder

• Like 6

Just now, Stanlee said:

Is it weird that I like this stuff and want to see more of it?

Like hell yeah, gimme some rare sassafras. Gimme some silver ribbons. 

Give me a chest filled to the brim with teeth.

Give me a chest filled with hostile mobs!

I'm already bored with wemp and charcoal and cotton and tar and leather - the rewards don't need to necessarily be better, just weirder

One wurmians trash is another wurmians treasure.

everything that is decayed in trash heaps gets regenerated into treasure maps

7 minutes ago, Stanlee said:

the rewards don't need to necessarily be better, just weirder

Yes.  I want something made from ore, or meteorite.

Roses and bouquets in metals, stones and timbers.

I'd rather get flints than charcoal.

• Like 1

Is it possible to take on a combat challenge as a group? Seems to me some of these harder challenges will be near impossible for most players on their own. If other players aren't allowed to help, I feel that's pretty unfortunate as it would make for a good reason for some group pve combat

• Like 1

Some ideas for rewards:

• Affinity food and drink. Thematically it'd have to be stuff that you could hide as a treasure, so no fresh meals. But sealed barrels of booze would work, and food items like cookies.
  • Food recipes.
  • Jewelry with decent enchants.
  • Someone already mentioned this, but coins. Treasure chests need coins.
  • Runes.
  • Some of the things from the marks shop. For example the random affinity would be a good high end reward. Skins and wooden nameplates would also do well.
  • Like 5

A couple of small things that maybe need attention:

1. When digging for treasure, sometimes I get a message saying I found a piece of parchment in addition to the small old casket, but should only be the casket at this point as I haven't opened it to get the parchment yet.
[14:02:40] You start digging for treasure!
[14:03:06] You find a small old casket.
[14:03:06] You find a piece of parchment.

2. I'd like to be able to open more than one clue at a time, but opening one clue replaces the one that's already open, so you can only see one at a time.

3. The dig for treasure action is too long. It might be ok if it was guaranteed that the action would produce the chest, but this often isn't the case and we have to sit through this long countdown several times in a row just to find "nothing interesting" despite being right on top of the location.

I agree with feedback on the rewards, especially adding coins and hopefully the rewards will also be more unpredictable and include some more unusual or special items so it feels worth the effort.

If possible, maybe the clue could switch to behaving like an archaeology report including directions when you get within "stone's throw" range. It's super tedious to run around spamming the examine button over and over again, but at this point there is no other way to do it.

Would it be possible to add a status indicator such as a bit of text or a little dot into the map window that changes as you get closer or farther from the location? Then we could just keep an eye on that window instead of spamming the examine button.

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 3

Recap of my first short experience with the treasure maps for the exploration update:

• 20 min digging gave me a rare dirty casket
    • Received a Novice Clue -- Fairly far away -- Treasure Map
    • After finding first location, recovered another rare dirty casket
      • second map had a clue on it: "close by what once was Dogchester Isles"
        • color of text over map made the clue almost unreadable.
          • I wish I would have screenshot this. Hopefully I get another to show the example. Sorry.
        • Also, the landmark/terrain hints in the map were not helpful at all.
    • Final location ended up being very close to the first location and digging recovered the treasure chest after running around spamming examine map since the map/clue was useless. Rewards were very underwhelming.
      • I know I saw mention that the rewards would be re-worked. It's just my observation of my experience. Most the rewards given, with the exception of the sleep powder, could have easily been acquired in a shorter time than it took to find the treasure.

Some feedback/takeaways:

• You should be able to use in game map to search for possible treasure location. In current state, it would be impossible to use the in-game map to find the treasure location; you will need to use the public maps to find.
  • Activate shovel and right click ground to dig up treasure once found -- This should be more clearly instructed in game somehow.
  • As indicated on other posts, especially for difficult to decipher maps, the best way to find the locations is just riding around and spamming examine on the map until you get the message you are right on top of the treasure. This is not an exciting or fun way to discover treasure.

My Initial Summary:

I do like the concept and can see how this would be enjoyable with some tweaks. I don't want the rewards to be OP, but receiving low ql resources is super lame (who the heck would bury 19ql tar to keep safe?). I think even finding statue fragments, etc. would be a much better find that people would be interested in. The rewards in their current state I'm not sure anyone would bother with unless they were desperate for some sleep bonus.

The treasure location indicators need adjusted. Spamming examine should not be the way to find the location of the treasure. I'm not sure if just adding a vague direction ("The treasure is located somewhere between the north/northeast") and not give a proximity indicator would be better, but the current set up just seemed kind of cheesy to me.

Again, I do see some great potential with this and will try again soon to do some more testing. I hope this was at least a little bit helpful. If you're interested, here was my treasure haul:

https://imgur.com/a/ybkZqFN

• Like 1

Guard Towers, can be placed on deeds, or even off deed inside a building one does not have access to and since one basically needs to be inside the guard tower to examine it, it would be impossible to figure out the name.

11 minutes ago, Drogos said:

Guard Towers, can be placed on deeds, or even off deed inside a building one does not have access to and since one basically needs to be inside the guard tower to examine it, it would be impossible to figure out the name.

The first post mentions that it only uses guard towers that aren't enclosed or on deed.

Edited by Lisimba

I think after all this time people expected more than a bad version of a simple WU mod.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lisimba said:
  • Affinity food and drink. Thematically it'd have to be stuff that you could hide as a treasure, so no fresh meals. But sealed barrels of booze would work, and food items like cookies.

A thousand times no. ;)

• Like 1

Just remember, if you can waste 30 minutes on something, getting 1 hour of sleep bonus only breaks you even to the going doing nothing but sitting around digging, mining etc.

4 hours ago, Synjor said:

Is it possible to take on a combat challenge as a group? Seems to me some of these harder challenges will be near impossible for most players on their own. If other players aren't allowed to help, I feel that's pretty unfortunate as it would make for a good reason for some group pve combat

My experience with a 99ql map was that it would be near impossible for all but a few people to take on the mobs by themselves.  I was ambushed by a greenish hell hound, a normal hell hound, a greenish croc, a hardened spider and 2 normal brown bears.  And with all 90's in skill and characteristics, and 90ql addy huge axe (but no LT which would have helped) I survived with about 10% of my health.   

Don't get me wrong, I think the physical part of the challenge being something you can't reasonably expect to do yourself is a GREAT thing, but it presents a huge logistical challange.   Having 2 or 3 friends cross half the server to come help you is a problem, not to mention that rewards need to reflect a group effort.

All in all, there is a great framework here, and I really do think this can be a fun addition to Wurm, but my own experience reflect what has already been said, and in it's current state I simply wouldn't bother

Question about journal rework: Will we be able to skip one task in each tier as on a test server at the moment?

A low ql rare map wasn't very hard just riding around and repeatedly hitting examine and adjusting direction as the message changes. Feels like that is a bit lame as is, perhaps the map should gradually take damage which reduces by up to half the radius of the proximity messages. To balance that give an initial clue to the location like a one time direction from where the map is first read.

One map clue was very helpful as it had a highway and was obviously in steppe, but the other map clue I had was in forest and was unrecognizable even when I was at the spot.

Reward was underwhelming even for the time to find a low ql treasure. Wouldn't go so far as to put items from uniques in but chances for rare resources, tool or weapon heads, archae items, rift resources, runes, skins and perhaps very rarely moon metals or metallic liquid.Will there ever be any more use of the jackal wood textures? A very rare chance of a jackal wood plank or shaft that cannot be gotten any other way would be a great reason to do the exploration.

16 minutes ago, Caroc said:

A low ql rare map wasn't very hard just riding around and repeatedly hitting examine and adjusting direction as the message changes. Feels like that is a bit lame as is, perhaps the map should gradually take damage which reduces by up to half the radius of the proximity messages. To balance that give an initial clue to the location like a one time direction from where the map is first read.

Oh please, no. Never. Don't degrade and destroy the maps every time we examine them. That takes us squarely back to digging and packing literally hundreds of squares in the wilderness in hopes of getting lucky because if we examine again we might kill the thing.

It's hilarious to see people wanting all the good stuff, and lots of it.. and this content will be coming from all kinds of easy to spam actions with alts, etc..  this will be excessively farmed.. for sleep powders, coins, etc... 

Are you really in that much of a hurry to bring inflation to valuable items to wurm 🤪

Stuff that wont matter but be rare are fragments of skins, slow painful rare grind of skin tier groups...

low changes for lmc/smc/etc that's a bit too much.. but made really rare.. it shouldn't brix the market;

sleep powders .. as tradeables.. is literally gifting players with 1-3 silver for random farming/mining/etc inspiration, BUOY do we get a lot of these;

this is not fun content.. this is just a coin farm;

I like the idea of obtaining some stuff like cavalier helmet(to me that's the only good looking rare helmet with the wolf).. but that definitely wont be liked by anybody having one.. because of the cost to obtain one with the existing mechanics so far.. sad or not..

This content was to work better with something happening or lore or something trying to distract or derail you from your path to reach your treasure.

Also some new items or skins, maybe just old ones as whole or fragments, but now possible to also improve and socket or have directly 1-3 sockets on the items as tier of better or worse item..

The game have somewhat rare items.. have some new items that still are trash and still are not updated years after their release.. like sockets and shoulderpads, skins, if all the content we can get is reusing existing mechanics and spin them around.. at least can we get a simple new system with actually unique new items?

Instead of using the pendulum messages for distance... or even if you do use them... explain them ingame somehow, if you cant and the player have to open the wiki to decipher them.. you've failed to make this engaging and forced using 3rd party tools to explain another overcomplicated "mechanic".

Only reason to not try it on test for me is .. I wont go around and look for random guard towers.

• Like 1

This looks a lot like the mod for Wurm Unlimited. Funny how things are taken from there but nothing goes back.  Just sayin'.  I'll give it a try in a bit :)

• Like 2

Each map should reward some bone fragments. You put some amount of bone fragments together (100 maybe) and you get a rare bone. Some maps could contain supreme or fantastic bone fragments. These items would take minutes to add to the game and provide a much needed and stable reward that comes exclusively from the new exploration system. It fits thematically with the archaeology/treasure style of the content and ensures that there's always some value that people can appreciate in each chest.

As it stands, nobody is going to open up a chest and be wowed by getting 3 sleep powders instead of 1, or 90ql iron instead of 60ql. Instead, imagine the reaction of anyone opening up a chest and finding a fantastic bone fragment. While it will be a rare occurrence that not everyone will experience, the possibility alone will provide enough reason for players to engage with the content.

Credit to @Cipacadrinhofor mentioning the bone fragments idea first in this suggestion thread.

would give special bone fragments  and once we get like 100 of these bone fragments  can combine with a special item that could drop from an archeology cache or someting to create a rare bone?

• Like 5

Giving propper rewards for invested time is the most important aspect that is from i can see totaly missed. Unless it's a reasonable chance for something exquisite like moonmetals, rare+ bones(bone fragments as suggested), unique items and skins, materials etc. not gonna botter wasting time on it... Why on earth would i twist my brain staring at map dump and run whole day across server to get leather and wemp that aren't even decent ql. grinding for 1h without sb is much better than spending 2 hours on wild goose chase for 30 mins of sb.

Good decision to release this on test first. Seems that it can be fun, but only with worthy reward at the end, otherwise it's a huge dissapointment when you dig final chest, expecialy for difficult clues.

• Like 1

Give us moonmetal as a reward please and thanks

58 minutes ago, Finnn said:

It's hilarious to see people wanting all the good stuff, and lots of it.. and this content will be coming from all kinds of easy to spam actions with alts, etc..  this will be excessively farmed.. for sleep powders, coins, etc... 

Are you really in that much of a hurry to bring inflation to valuable items to wurm 🤪

Stuff that wont matter but be rare are fragments of skins, slow painful rare grind of skin tier groups...

low changes for lmc/smc/etc that's a bit too much.. but made really rare.. it shouldn't brix the market;

sleep powders .. as tradeables.. is literally gifting players with 1-3 silver for random farming/mining/etc inspiration, BUOY do we get a lot of these;

this is not fun content.. this is just a coin farm;

I like the idea of obtaining some stuff like cavalier helmet(to me that's the only good looking rare helmet with the wolf).. but that definitely wont be liked by anybody having one.. because of the cost to obtain one with the existing mechanics so far.. sad or not..

This content was to work better with something happening or lore or something trying to distract or derail you from your path to reach your treasure.

Also some new items or skins, maybe just old ones as whole or fragments, but now possible to also improve and socket or have directly 1-3 sockets on the items as tier of better or worse item..

The game have somewhat rare items.. have some new items that still are trash and still are not updated years after their release.. like sockets and shoulderpads, skins, if all the content we can get is reusing existing mechanics and spin them around.. at least can we get a simple new system with actually unique new items?

Instead of using the pendulum messages for distance... or even if you do use them... explain them ingame somehow, if you cant and the player have to open the wiki to decipher them.. you've failed to make this engaging and forced using 3rd party tools to explain another overcomplicated "mechanic".

Only reason to not try it on test for me is .. I wont go around and look for random guard towers.

Keep in mind, on live even a novice clue will be uncommon to come by. The higher tier ones, even rarer and more difficult to complete. Lacking in some serious rewards will render them dead content. Nobody is expecting these rarer rewards to be common place in the drop table, but having familiar rare items there at a low rate will certainly be enough to entice players to put in the effort to complete them for the chance of finding some serious treasure

• Like 1