Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Exploration: Part 1 - Public Testing!

We are delaying the update 1 week til June 7th to allow time for public testing before its release. We have enabled treasure hunting for everyone on our test server Oracle, let us know of any issues or feedback in this thread. Below are some details about how treasure hunting works, a map of the Oracle test server and details on how to get on the test server. 

• Only available on our test server Oracle for testing.
    • To use the test client, use the Test Client launcher shortcut or the Choose Client shortcut and choose the test client. For Steam, right-click Wurm Online in your Steam Library and click Properties. Then add a -c to the Launch Options. This will give you a prompt to select the Test Client.
    • Logging in with a new username/password will register an account automatically and log you in.
    • Selecting any item and using it on the ground will give a test option which allows you to change your skills and spawn in items like armour and weapons. You can also use it to change your faith, deity and spawn items like vesseled gems/statuette. Submitting the test menu will also heal you fully and restore your stamina.
    • At the bottom of the test item creation option you can also spawn in a fully geared horse/ropes to get around quicker.
  • Chance to find them from rare rolls on the following actions. For testing, we will have a 1/25 chance on non rare rolls as well.
    • Farming/Harvesting
    • Botanize/Forage Actions
    • Digging
    • Mining
    • Investigating Archeology Sites
    • Fishing/Dredging
    • (Not on Test yet) Praying
  • Different difficulties, the harder the less common they will be but the larger the end rewards will be. 
    • Novice(1/5 chance on rare roll)(1-29ql)
      • Will be between 2-3 steps long
      • Will have very small combat challenges occasionally.
      • Will not be terribly far from the locations they are found.
    • Challenging(1/10 chance on rare roll, supreme rolls will always give one)(30-59ql)
      • Can be 3-5 steps long
      • Will have decent sized and not infrequent combat challenges.
      • Will be a moderate distance from the locations they are found.
    • Difficult(1/25 chance on rare roll, fantastic rolls will always give one)(60 - 100ql)
      • Can be 4-6 steps long
      • Will always have difficult creatures to kill for most every step
      • Will be long distances away from the locations they are found.
  • Possible types of clues
    • Map clue
      • Shows a map with a location you must go to, will not be super close to villages or in an enclosed area.
    • Challenge clue
      • Will give an area and some information about an item from a list of items to find.
        • Any guard tower that are not enclosed or near or in a village
        • Colossus that are not enclosed or near or in a village
        • Mission Constructed items that are not in caves/enclosed or near villages.
    • Combat Challenges
      • When you try to dig up a location you may come across some creatures ambushing you which you must defeat before you can continue digging it up.
        • Will go into hiding again after 45 minutes if not yet killed until you come and dig again, then the same remaining creatures will ambush you again.
        • Creatures from this will drop no corpses but will give skill for fighting.
  • Interaction to dig up clues
    • Use a shovel on the ground and select the dig up treasure option which will check if any clues you have on you are at your location.
    • Has some grace distance, you do not need to dig on the exact tile/item it picks just near it.
    • Examining a clue will give an indication of roughly how far away you are from it but not a direction.

Red box is the test server starter village.

terrain-starter.png

Edit 1: Added praying to the list of actions (not yet on test).

Edit 2: We are looking into changes to the rewards given in the chests will update with more info on that soon.

• Like 21

Perfect, thank you for the info and opportunity to test!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Keenan said:

Red box is the test server starter village.

I think this answers Tom's question

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sheffie said:

I think this answers Tom's question

of course, its under the picture and centered: I completely missed it. wonder if a change in color would have helped there. /shrug

Thanks, Keenan et al.

26 minutes ago, Keenan said:

Has some grace distance, you do not need to dig on the exact tile/item it picks just near it.

That is a nice QOL consideration.

1 minute ago, Tomatoes said:

of course, its under the picture and centered: I completely missed it. wonder if a change in color would have helped there. /shrug

Made it more visible!

• Like 1

Some UI elements won't properly move to the foreground. Seems the Character screen, Name/status bar, and skill tracker will always be above any other window. Likely others.

Seems like the map window cannot be minimized. I also managed to drag the bottom right to increase the size of it to the point where i can no longer make it smaller.

[18:18:37] You stop dig treasure. - should be digging for treasure

[18:21:10] This is a novice clue. You have completed 1 steps of this treasure hunt. - should be 1 step

Clue states "Find the guard tower it was inscribed with... It is somewhere in the center regions it was not far..." Could use punctuation to make it not read so strangely.

Upon revealing the chest, it spawned a few tiles away partially concealed by a tree. Would probably be best if it appeared on your tile like archaeology caches.

Dropped chess pieces (pawn, knight) use the model of an entire chess board. 

When displayed on a map, highways seem to have random bumps in them rather than being straight lines. Caused some confusion as to what it was actually representing.

If random resources are going to be included as rewards, it'd be best to have them always be at least 50ql and higher. I see a lot of trashed piles of garbage resources left around like they are on pvp servers. There's just no use to grab and carry these back home.

Spoiler

d5OA1Dx.png

Or rather than so many resources, toss in some rare coins to add another sink to kingdom coffers. Treasure hunting often involves coins ;)

Unsure as to the rewards from higher tier clues, but small scraps of hide/scale would be nice, as well as rare bones and tomes (tome fragments?) from the hardest of clues.

Low chance of scavenger runes from higher tier clues. Small lumps of mm.

When digging, if you go down to hit solid rock then continue to dig, every instance of "You can not dig in the solid rock" can result in a clue casket.

Spoiler

QWfyOy1.png

Trolls that spawn as part of a combat challenge still drop their clubs, as well as recipes upon death.

Would it be possible to slightly increase the amount of fight skill given from defeating combat challenge mobs? Slightly increased reward for what actually is a pretty difficult encounter would be a nice bonus.

Rewarding novice clues from killing mobs (hostiles only?) would make for a nice break in the middle of a hunting trip. 

And the loot from a 95ql, 4 step clue... And a 96ql, 6 step clue...

Spoiler

a5GsGe8.png

caIQg4A.png

The easily acquirable materials have got to go. If I'm capable of defeating a horde of lava fiends, champ trolls, and deathcrawlers, I can very likely grow my own 90+ql wemp/cotton in bulk, mine my own 90+ql iron, etc. If it's a material I can get on deed or a short trip away, in bulk, it should not be a reward for a treasure hunt that takes me across the server, killing a horde of difficult mobs 4-6 separate times. 

Gonna make a list of potential rewards as I think of them or see them suggested by others. Obviously, the more valuable rewards should be very rare even from the hardest of clues. Just knowing there's a chance at them will be enough to drive people to complete them. There doesn't even need to be valuable items like these available. There just needs to be more interesting things. As Stanlee suggested, toss in some weird stuff. It's difficult to make the base rewards all great and worthwhile, but variety will make it less mundane.

Spoiler

Creation ql, tiny lumps (.1kg) of moon metal for novice, ql and lump size increasing with difficulty.

Star gems

Alloy lumps

Rare coins

Sealed booze

Hide/scale scraps

Rare bones

Scav runes

Tome fragments

Archaeology fragments

Casted high ql horseshoes

Chance at a reward being rare+

Previous loyalty skins

Shaker orbs

Rods of transmutation

SMC/LMC fragments (1/30, 1/60)

Gift pack rewards (staff of land, pale mask, cav helmet, challenge statue) They're available from a microtransaction, why not an actual gameplay reward

Of course, this entire list being included would be a bit much but it's a good bunch of things to consider implementing as rewards should they fit the theme being aimed for. Sleep powder, moon metals, and mats are good and all but having some sort of "mega-rare" table would really be the kind of treasure players would be hunting for. They are the kind of things needed to drive a new piece of content like this, whether the items are existing valuables or new implementations to the game.

I was able to cast Charm Animal on a Champion Hell Hound that spawned from a combat challenge, making it my pet. Probably shouldn't be able to happen, but I messed around with it a bunch to try and break things but was still able to continue on without issue.

Spoiler

With the threat "neutralized" I again attempted to dig for treasure. The Hell Hound respawned, this time under the Freedom Isles kingdom and attacked me. I was unable to retaliate, stuck in a "You try to cut..." loop as if it was still tamed. Properly untaming it via the Body>Manage>Animals tab caused it to respawn again, allowing me to attack it, but this time with no kingdom. I again Charmed it and dug for treasure, being met with the same "Creatures are guarding this location still." However, the Hell Hound did not attack me again. Waited 50 minutes to see if it would go back into hiding, but it's still here. After untaming, it vanished as expected. Was able to dig again, kill it then retrieve the next step without issue. Nothing super broken aside from being able to tame it and it swapping kingdoms

It's possible to dig for treasure from horseback, probably commanding a cart/wagon too. Doesn't seem like something that's intended, but is nice to be able to do.

Will edit with anything else, bolding anything severe

Would be helpful if the L33t Horses could be updated to properly be the best, with the new traits from the AH update. 

Edited by Synjor
  • Like 10

i got a casket after 30 seconds of digging, dropped the map and now looks like i cant ever get another one.

2 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

i got a casket after 30 seconds of digging, dropped the map and now looks like i cant ever get another one.

You can have as many as you find on you no limits to how many at one time, likely just bad luck keep trying and you will get another one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Darklords said:

You can have as many as you find on you no limits to how many at one time, likely just bad luck keep trying and you will get another one.

ok i took me a long while but i did get more.

1 hour ago, Keenan said:

For testing, we will have a 1/25 chance on non rare rolls as well.

I'm curious why, wurm, you would make it difficult to test? Sure, it's easier then waiting for a lucky MOI. But would it hurt to make them supper common, say 1:2?

1 minute ago, joedobo said:

I'm curious why, wurm, you would make it difficult to test? Sure, it's easier then waiting for a lucky MOI. But would it hurt to make them supper common, say 1:2?

That's already super common. I got 3 of them in the space of 50 seconds or so. I think you're missing it's a 1/25 chance to get one on a normal action. On a server where you can set your skills to 99 and get a 90ql tool in 5 clicks.

Edited by Madnath

1 minute ago, Madnath said:

That's already super common. I got 3 of them in the space of 50 seconds or so.

apparently Tpikol doesn't have your experience.  1:2 is significantly more common than 1:25. 

Although, I recognize you think the drop rate is fine.  I hope that you can see that I have a different opinion.

3 minutes ago, joedobo said:

I got one within the first 9 tiles foraged/botanized. Keep on trying :)

"Selecting any item and using it on the ground will give a test option which allows you to change your skills and spawn in items like armour and weapons. You can also use it to change your faith, deity and spawn items like vesseled gems/statuette."

so double click green shovel and right click ground? how does this work? ty

3 minutes ago, Muunkey said:

so double click green shovel and right click ground? how does this work? ty

double click anything in your inventory then righ click the ground and click "test"

set your skill and ql to 90 and chose basic tools. that should get you started on this.

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 1

^^ thank you.  as per spawning point people spawn horses and cant use rope on them, many abandoned and lonely

• Like 2

lol I got rare dirt from opening a dirty casket - guess thjats why its called a Dirty Casket 😜 Although the next gave me 2 rare maps so all good :)

Edited by Rhianna

11 minutes ago, Muunkey said:

^^ thank you.  as per spawning point people spawn horses and cant use rope on them, many abandoned and lonely

Because they're being spawned on deed. Go off deed and spawn your horses and you can lead them.

It's not a regular dig, but just in case don't forget Libila priests can't dig. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Omar said:

It's not a regular dig, but just in case don't forget Libila priests can't dig. 

Priests who cannot normally dig can still do these we did not restrict that for them.

• Like 2

I was going to at least get all the way to finding a treasure before giving feedback, but as I am very close to just giving up I will give the feedback now, and maybe add to it or edit if I do eventually get to the end of this ordeal.

I got a novice "map" so the treasure is "not terribly far away".  Only it isn't a map.  It is plainly meant to be a clue, but really apart from the general region (centre east) it is not much use at all as a clue.  It says to search near a guard tower with a particular inscription, and that the guard tower was near a particular village.  The guard tower bit is useful for finding the exact spot, except that by the time you can examine the tower, examining the map will tell you that you are on the spot anyway.  As to being "near" a village; well yeah, sort of.  Within a few hundred tiles, I would estimate, and other villages where closer.  It was essentially a very long an imprecise game of hot hot cold with examining the map. 

The WU version with "very far away, to your left" is terrible.  This is worse.  It has the vague distance, but no directionality at all (and the "clue" is no help there).  Plus, you have to go through the whole thing over again.  Fortunately, I was on the east coast, so only had 3 direction to choose from.  

I eventually zeroed in on the spot by gauging when the examine distances changed and slowly boxing in the correct guard tower.  I dig, get another casket.

Next verse; same as the first.  Honestly, it was exactly the same process and lack of detail, with the village name and guard tower inscription being the only difference.  I had no way of knowing where the village was, so resorted to highway waystone and route finding (i.e. the opposite of exploring, I took the expressway).  From 300 something tiles inland I wound up back at the coast and then played hot hot cold with the map again to wind up well inland again, having passed a couple of closer villages AND a colossus (which would have made a good landmark).  I again boxed in the spot (I used a cow as a semi-stationary reference for the last bit, through willow trees).

Verse, 3.  I am again "Fairly far away" in SOME unknown direction; with this map to go by;

Si4VFMk.png

I have not yet been able to marry that to anything on the map Keenan posted.  I have no idea of the scale or what the marks on the map mean (apart form the big X of course).  Not happy, Jan.

EDIT:  I have I think identified the spot on the map.  Way north of where I have been.

The frustration continues.

[12:35:31] You have a feeling you are right on top of the location.

[12:36:33] You find nothing interesting here.

After moving a few tiles at a time, I eventually got the chest.  There was some sleep powder, source crystals, a couple of "special items", and a bunch or resources.  The resources where all stuff that could have been harvested/made/processed etc in probably less time than the search took.  All in all, a little underwhelming.

I would suggest that the directional element still be provided when examining the "clue".  Maybe drop that at "stone's throw" or maybe even "very close" but at greater distances, only examine is useful for "searching".  From my experience a novice "map" otherwise means almost blindly searching  360,000 tiles, at least twice.  The "clues" were too vague and imprecise to be useful - the "near" village was for me further from the spot than I was when I got the second clue.  The map was also vague, but I could eventually match something on the main map - again a directional cue would be helpful.  Directional cues wouldn't need to be more than the 8 compass directions.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 2

Summoned creatures from high difficulty clues still drop their items when killed (Trolls - troll club.)

Additionally, I've had 2 maps now where part of the map is "smudged" off, not sure if this is intended or not, but it made for a VERY long search because the clue was incorrect.