Sign in to follow this  
campus

Limit time that key can be held down

I just found out that physically holding a key is considered macroing which is not allowed, even though nothing is automated.
As this is not allowed, why is there no limit how many actions can be done by holding or how long a key can be pressed?
It should not be difficult to add at least a client side limit for this. This would make it much easier to enforce this "key jamming with your coffee cup" rule.

Edit: Why is there nothing prevent you from key jamming if it is strictly prohibited by the rules? It would be way less tempting to use mechanical key locking if it wasn't possible in the first place.

Edited by campus
addition to the reasoning

There are some actions that require holding down a key, walking and rowing for example.

6 minutes ago, Cecci said:

There are some actions that require holding down a key, walking and rowing for example.

It could be limited to actions that take time

I think it would just be easier to just not try to hold a key down unless you are moving. I imagine it's not an easy task to add such a feature.

• Like 1

I use a hotkey combo for pushing, and I hold that down.  Does this mean I am cheating?  If so, wow.  Basically on-deed it results in pushing the object until it is too far away to push and then I go after it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fencejumper said:

I think it would just be easier to just not try to hold a key down unless you are moving. I imagine it's not an easy task to add such a feature.

If it can kick you out from the game after holding a key too long, I don't think it's too hard to add.

1 minute ago, TheTrickster said:

I use a hotkey combo for pushing, and I hold that down.  Does this mean I am cheating?  If so, wow.  Basically on-deed it results in pushing the object until it is too far away to push and then I go after it.

It's not allowed weigh down the key with a physical object, that's considered macroing/key locking according to the rules but it's fine to hold the key yourself.

21 minutes ago, campus said:

It's not allowed weigh down the key with a physical object, that's considered macroing/key locking according to the rules but it's fine to hold the key yourself.

Well, if you know that, why even start this topic?
Just don't do it, they have code for discovering suspect behaviour, and your number of actions are limited by your mind logic.

5 minutes ago, Cecci said:

Well, if you know that, why even start this topic?
Just don't do it, they have code for discovering suspect behaviour, and your number of actions are limited by your mind logic.

I didn't know this yesterday, and neither did my alliance chat so I believe there's bunch of others who don't know this either.
The TOS tells you to "abide by the game rules" but doesn't even have a link to the server game rules.
Most people aren't going to bother reading rules, so wouldn't it be easier to enforce such rule by making it harder to break the rule unintentionally.

Apparently it is even in the tutorial according to this topic:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, campus said:

And you need to be aware of what you're doing, so no napping or sitting on the keyboard.

4 minutes ago, Cecci said:

Apparently it is even in the tutorial according to this topic:

I skipped the tutorial and figured that macroing is against the rules like in many other games.
But what I didn't realize was the key locking rule. As it was possible in the game, I fugred it would be allowed but I later found out it's bannable.

12 minutes ago, campus said:

I skipped the tutorial and figured that macroing is against the rules like in many other games.
But what I didn't realize was the key locking rule. As it was possible in the game, I fugred it would be allowed but I later found out it's bannable.

Writing a program that plays for you is also possible, but still banned. All games I know of that have an anti macro policy also disallow keylocking because the point is that you're not allowed to automate gameplay. It's supposed to be you in command, and when you can walk away but keep sending actions to a game, you're not in command yourself. Why would it be bannable to send repeated keystrokes with software but okay to do exactly the same with hardware?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lisimba said:

Writing a program that plays for you is also possible, but still banned. All games I know of that have an anti macro policy also disallow keylocking because the point is that you're not allowed to automate gameplay. It's supposed to be you in command, and when you can walk away but keep sending actions to a game, you're not in command yourself. Why would it be bannable to send repeated keystrokes with software but okay to do exactly the same with hardware?

The game allows to hold button to repeat any action.
Oldschool runescape is different game sure, but their rule is "1-button 1-action".
How I see it, jamming a key is one action and the game allows repeating the action by holding, so I thought this would be fine as I am not automating anything.

Same thing I always say to these type of things....

Why play a game if you actually do not want to play it yourself...makes no sense.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wulfrock said:

Same thing I always say to these type of things....

Why play a game if you actually do not want to play it yourself...makes no sense.

Wurm is very afkable game and I am not alone searching for the most afk method for skilling. Some people go to the extent to get a foot pedal and queue actions from a couch. That's just the nature of highly afk games when certain tasks aren't very engaging.
It's more about long term goals and I like when numbers go up hehe. Work smarter not harder.

52 minutes ago, campus said:

Wurm is very afkable game and I am not alone searching for the most afk method for skilling. Some people go to the extent to get a foot pedal and queue actions from a couch. That's just the nature of highly afk games when certain tasks aren't very engaging.
It's more about long term goals and I like when numbers go up hehe. Work smarter not harder.

Wow, just wow.
You call that smarter... I know of some popular and high skilled players that were perma banned for this sort of behaviour. Not so smart.
And now you certainly made all sorts of people aware that you will try to play "smarter".

• Like 2

Queuing up actions and watching a movie or something on the second monitor or even playing another slow paced game on it, or an alt seems fine. 

However, trying to lock down a button so you can walk away from the pc for prolonged afk is not good or fair in my opinion.

I imagine you have got the gist of how folks that have responded to you feel about what you want or are trying to do in Wurm though.

I will leave it at that and get back to my terraforming. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

There is an effect for this. Its called the server disconnecting you for spam. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Wulfrock said:

Queuing up actions and watching a movie or something on the second monitor or even playing another slow paced game on it, or an alt seems fine. 

However, trying to lock down a button so you can walk away from the pc for prolonged afk is not good or fair in my opinion.

I imagine you have got the gist of how folks that have responded to you feel about what you want or are trying to do in Wurm though.

I will leave it at that and get back to my terraforming. 

Good luck.

This isn't a suggestion to allow locking. The point was to make it impossible to do it in the first place to more easily enforce it.

1 hour ago, Cecci said:

Wow, just wow.
You call that smarter... I know of some popular and high skilled players that were perma banned for this sort of behaviour. Not so smart.
And now you certainly made all sorts of people aware that you will try to play "smarter".

I'm not encouraging rule breaking of course. Just trying to find the most afkable methods within the game rules.
The point of limiting repeated actions by holding a key, would discourage from doing that.
Afking from couch with foot pedal is fine in oldschool runescape but it appears the wurm rules are quite a bit more complicated.

Since this is now coming very close to discussing methods of breaking game rules, I'm going to post some links and lock the thread.

• Like 1