Sign in to follow this  
ofLegends

Stop advertising Cadence as "new server"

When you make a new character and choose a server, Cadence is still being advertised as a new server:

unknown.png

This naturally entices most new players into joining Cadence, since it's "new". I realize that Cadence technically is the newest server, however it's also the most populated near/around spawn. This is reflected in the majority of the game's recent negative reviews on steam, which are mostly complaints about how far you have to walk to find a spot that isn't claimed. I think a lot of people want to just find a spot and get started asap (unlike me, who usually spends hours looking for the right spot), and advertising the most crowded server isn't the best solution to this problem imo.

I know steam reviews shouldn't really matter to those of us already playing and enjoying this game, however, the truth is that all of us current players are affected by these reviews. I think we'd all like to see more players giving the game a try and enjoying it like we do, and some people who might otherwise try it out might be turned away by all the negativity. I realize the game is already niche to begin with so negative reviews are to be expected, however, as I said, the majority of recent negative reviews are about how hard it is to find a spot, and this could easily be addressed if Cadence stops being advertised as new. Then, players will be more likely to choose a server at random or based off a youtube video instead.

Edited by ofLegends
text size
  • Like 14

I guess they better complain that the server is crowded and hard to find a spot rather than going to a server and meeting nobody around to realise its a dead game... however advertising 2 year old server as NEW is a far stretch lmao

It would be better not so pointedly and onesidedly to advertise the barren world of NFI, at least as long as the merge perspective is not clear.

Edited by Ekcin

I've lobbied for that to be changed, both in public and staff boards.

I hope it'll happen one day where the signs and portal map in the tutorial server will no longer direct players to Cadence with a 'new server!' label.

In the very beginning at the opening of the Northern Freedom Isles, Harmony did get overwhelmed.  That's clearly no longer the case, though, and Melody, the smallest of the NFI servers, isn't crowded either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skatyna said:

I guess they better complain that the server is crowded and hard to find a spot rather than going to a server and meeting nobody around to realise its a dead game... however advertising 2 year old server as NEW is a far stretch lmao

If you think about it, the steam playercount for wurm online speaks for itself, so people are already expecting a low player pop. Then they come to Cadence and can't find an available piece of land.

this sounds harsh but people who cant find empty land on cad, wouldnt find it on xanadu either, the problem is people not knowing how to look and not understanding that roads are made by players to go somewhere, so following a road you always go to deeds.

but is cadence new? no, changing the tutorial portal would just be fair.

how much newer is it than harmony, was it 2 weeks?

Edited by Tpikol

3 hours ago, Ekcin said:

It would be better not so pointedly and onesidedly to advertise the barren world of NFI, at least as long as the merge perspective is not clear.

Not sure what you mean by this... Majority of active players (as in logging in more frequently) are on NFI, not SFI.

56 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

how much newer is it than harmony, was it 2 weeks?

I thought it was Harmony -> Melody -> Cadence, as in Harmony is the oldest one. Could be wrong.

1 hour ago, ofLegends said:

Not sure what you mean by this... Majority of active players (as in logging in more frequently) are on NFI, not SFI.

I thought it was Harmony -> Melody -> Cadence, as in Harmony is the oldest one. Could be wrong.

if i remember correctly i seem to remember that i started on harmony then cadence came out with the melody server being the 3rd server  each came out about 2 weeks after the other i think but they started the new server of cadence to handle the heavy over population of harmony at the very beginning and it did seem to be massive when i first started but when the new server cadence came out we saw a lot of people take the portal there right away from harmony

Melody was about 2 days after Harmony, and Cadence came almost a month later.

Harmony - 24 July 2020

Melody - 26 July 2020

Cadence - 21 August 2020

It was NEVER appropriate to funnel new players to NFI and Cadence by default.  It always should have been a case of "Here is what each server is like.  Choose accordingly."   There was talk of a deed heatmap to help people decide where they preferred to be, but I don't know what came of that.

Regardless, Cadence is not "new" anymore.  Almost 2 years on,  the NFI servers are all pretty much the same age (a couple of weeks makes no difference anymore).

We can't even construct player made notices and signs about this, because it all happens on the login/tutorial server.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Melody was about 2 days after Harmony, and Cadence came almost a month later.

Harmony - 24 July 2020

Melody - 26 July 2020

Cadence - 21 August 2020

It was NEVER appropriate to funnel new players to NFI and Cadence by default.  It always should have been a case of "Here is what each server is like.  Choose accordingly."   There was talk of a deed heatmap to help people decide where they preferred to be, but I don't know what came of that.

Regardless, Cadence is not "new" anymore.  Almost 2 years on,  the NFI servers are all pretty much the same age (a couple of weeks makes no difference anymore).

We can't even construct player made notices and signs about this, because it all happens on the login/tutorial server.  

Yeah... Looking back it would have been much better to have done it that way, mix the new players in with older. We could have gotten a lot more help and a better start. Instead all of us new players ended up on the same servers, most of us didn't know what we were doing, and the majority quit soon after.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ofLegends said:

Apparently, stated by the players that like to read statistics, SFI now is more active.
Not gonna go look for those posts to link here thou.

45 minutes ago, Cecci said:

Apparently, stated by the players that like to read statistics, SFI now is more active.
Not gonna go look for those posts to link here thou.

There are "number of charakter", number of player" (yes, different) and and there is player density per map square. Since NFI only has 3 (more like 2,5 since Melody is so smol) servers the player density especially on cadence is higher than on SFI even if the amount of total payers may be a bit lower.

Edited by Bekador

14 hours ago, Ekcin said:

at least as long as the merge perspective is not clear.

But it IS clear.  Currently it is technically impossible and the required development to make it possible is not currently being planned yet alone progressed.

• Like 1

+1 from me - the old cluster got kicked hard in the teeth by decisions like this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

But it IS clear.  Currently it is technically impossible and the required development to make it possible is not currently being planned yet alone progressed.

It is clear that it is not to be expected in short time. But it should be clear that maldecisions like making a code split need to be fixed, and as fast as possible because code splits always generate more code divergence unless one actively works on. And when an Epic access for NFI is planned, that will be extremely consequential.

It will require either new bandaids to prevent NFIers and SFIers trading silver, which would be a catastrophe, or it creates a single silver money space which would be a pre-merge with extreme consequences. For example, funds amassed on either side could be transferred, silver earned on the one and spent on the other server. I can imagine mainly unpleasant outcomes for such a situation creating panicky "fixes" as happened before.

But procrastinating the merge forever won't help.

• Like 4

Having to work on two sets of codes seems like a total waste of time also. Adjust the code on NFI to SFI please!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ekcin said:

And when an Epic access for NFI is planned, that will be extremely consequential.

Best joke of the year there, thanks Ekcin. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, elentari said:

Best joke of the year there, thanks Ekcin. 

I am not sure what you wanted to express with, unless it is your frequent confusion and lack of understanding. Keenan announced plans to allow NFI access to Epic.

That is not important because of Epic, as much as I like Epic and would appreciate it given more attention by both the devs and the players.

It is important because of the account management of both NFI and SFI. In fact, the cluster blockade is the only thing which separate NFI and SFI account spaces. They buy the same silvers from the shop, and share the same account name space and bank account management. That means, if SFI and NFI characters come together anywhere where they have access to tokens and the bank, they may freely exchange funds.

Let us recall: The large sums of silver allegedly or really amassed on SFI over the years were and are one of the justifications to keep the clusters apart. Once these limitations fall, funds may freely flow between the clusters. This will certainly affect the item trade, hard to say how exactly, but will certainly cause frictions.

The concern is not about Epic, but about such disruptions which in turn may cause panicky bandaids by the team which will drive the cluster codes further apart, and destroy parts of the gameplay as did the priest and imbue nerfs before.

19 hours ago, Cecci said:

Having to work on two sets of codes seems like a total waste of time also. Adjust the code on NFI to SFI please!

It's not two sets, don't worry 😀

2 hours ago, Archaed said:

It's not two sets, don't worry 😀

I don't worry.  And laughing at me...my spontaneous reaction to that is... well I'll tell you what I think about that in private!
However Keenan has stated that there are differences in the code for the clusters, making it hard to merge.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Archaed said:

The differences are not code. 

Keenan has specifically said that the codebases are now different.  I.e. the differences are code.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Keenan has specifically said that the codebases are now different.  I.e. the differences are code.

The differences in nfi and SFI are not code. The only differences he's referred to in code are the client. I've not seen any discussion on them being separate codebases. 

My bad, went digging. 

It's not entirely different code or something that needs to be compiled in two separate ways like the client, it's just different settings, the way one thing works on one server might not work the same on the other. So it's not something that has to be managed

Edited by Archaed

On 5/21/2022 at 4:06 PM, Tristanc said:

I've lobbied for that to be changed, both in public and staff boards.

I hope it'll happen one day where the signs and portal map in the tutorial server will no longer direct players to Cadence with a 'new server!' label.

In the very beginning at the opening of the Northern Freedom Isles, Harmony did get overwhelmed.  That's clearly no longer the case, though, and Melody, the smallest of the NFI servers, isn't crowded either.

You've lobbied and no response? "I hope it'll happen one day" you said. Yikes! Not my fault but I'm sorry to hear that.

Wurm Online's Cadence servers have been open for a few years now.

Cadence opened - 21 August 2020 

That should have been off, from us reading it, say 6 months min after the server opened?

To be fair, it's still the most populous and active server, and by those rights new players will get the better community experience, right?