Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

Stone Circles for Fast Travel

1 hour ago, TheTrickster said:

I do want as many people as possible to enjoy Wurm as much as possible.

Me too, but rather than hoping those forms without substance will achieve this in Wurm, I rather want Wurm to stick with it's vision and provide something valuable to it's target audience. And it's a pity really, people seem to think that the only way to be succesful in the gaming world is to cater to insta-reward, kill-streaking lollerboy culture. But if you at our genre people are actually looking for a more "cerebral" experience - look at other projects such as MO, Pantheon, Ashes of Creation. Even the Chronicles of Elyria story shows that people are hungry for this kind of experience.

Putting the interesting mechanics of travel on the chopping block will not help Wurm - it won't compete with WoW, it will have less to offer to it's niche, it will make existing players lose interest.

No, you claim it would but your reasoning is not even specious but obviously your own conclusion based on your own paradigm of Wurm.

It's not specious it's common sense. There's really no way I can put it any simpler.

The reason you deny it is because you, as you have said will not use this new shortcut despite it's effectivenes, and I believe you. However, most people don't play games like that, and you cannot assume the rest of the population that has played the game how it is will just ditch teleport, and maybe also put some anvils in their pockets to simulate walking so they can better take in the visuals. They will just lose interest in the game over time, while some will quit early on.

Let me give you a similar example from the game: a lot of us Epic players who moved to Freedom would like to play more on Epic - the reason we don't is that we don't get any game-benefit for doing so: skills no longer transfer, items of course do not transfer. I always want to be doing stuff there, but it always gets pushed back due to it not resulting in any progress. There are lots of former Epic players I run across on Freedom. Others have quit the game altogether. I am giving it as an example here only for the purpose of debunking this idea of players doing what they like even though there is no benefit.

Yes, I was probably getting a bit impolite, but concrete thinking tries my patience.

That's no excuse. I've been repeating some obvious common sense ideas a few times already, and  while it is trying my patience also I do see some benefit in at least making it more clear (like how I repeated it again just above with an example and some more context :) ), maybe people will see the game a bit differently.

Edited by Idlamn

4 hours ago, Idlamn said:

Putting the interesting mechanics of travel on the chopping block will not help Wurm - it won't compete with WoW, it will have less to offer to it's niche, it will make existing players lose interest.

As an existing player who likes to explore I can say this will not make me lose interest at all in fact it would likely allow me to get to rifts and public slayings again. And searching for the stone circles would be fun. This would add to my gaming not detract. Also if I still want to take the scenic route then by all means I will. No one would be holding a gun to my head saying "You have to fast travel!". It's a conscious choice that you the player can make. The choice would still be yours. Denying others the option to fast travel selfishly leaves them with no choice.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Idlamn said:

I've been repeating some obvious common sense ideas a few times already,

No, you have not.  You have been repeating, but not common sense.  What you insist will happen would have happened at least one of the many other times a teleport mechanic was introduced.  It didn't, so the common sense approach is to think it probably wouldn't this time either. 

I don't think there is anything further to add, because you are getting into "Only I make sense" and insist that your subjective opinion is objective reality, in a rather absolutist manner, and you keep equating claiming something will happen with demonstrating or even reasoning that it will happen.  I am sure you will want the last word, but I am also sure I already know what it will be, so I don't think I will be back on this topic for a while.

Edited by TheTrickster

8 hours ago, Idlamn said:

debunking this idea of players doing what they like even though there is no benefit.

Nope, I still have a bit more to say.  You have debunked nothing.  Just because some players don't do what they like to because they don't benefit does not mean that ALL players behave like that.  There are plenty of die-hard explorers in Wurm, who have travelled a lot "even though there is not benefit".  In fact it is really "no in-game direct reward system" because we do benefit by travelling - we gain the enjoyment of it, the discovery of things we have not seen, the achievement of getting to some pretty inaccessible places without helpful infrastructure like bridges and roads.  Not everybody is playing a fancy version of numbers-go-up.

There are a few such committed travellers on here in favour of this suggestion, and I would say that we are actually more committed to travel than you think you are.  Why would that be?  Because the two are not mutually exclusive - neither is significantly detrimental to the other.  We already travel even without some other motive like trade or skillgain.  

Repeating from above, what you insist will happen would have happened at least one of the many other times a teleport mechanic was introduced.  It didn't, so the common sense approach is to think it probably wouldn't this time either. 

Edited by TheTrickster

I would be more in favor of this if it were something very difficult and costly to construct and maintain, requiring more effort than any single player is capable of. That would make it more an achievement of a given community of people, and not something to be looked upon as trivial by anyone who might benefit from it. Dragon blood, moon metals, large amounts of rift materials, components improved to extremely high quality, a high difficulty religious ritual requiring many attempts by a large group of priests of all four gods, frequent sacrifices of champion creatures to keep it operational, etc.

4 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Nope, I still have a bit more to say.  You have debunked nothing.  Just because some players don't do what they like to because they don't benefit does not mean that ALL players behave like that.  There are plenty of die-hard explorers in Wurm, who have travelled a lot "even though there is not benefit".  In fact it is really "no in-game direct reward system" because we do benefit by travelling - we gain the enjoyment of it, the discovery of things we have not seen, the achievement of getting to some pretty inaccessible places without helpful infrastructure like bridges and roads.  Not everybody is playing a fancy version of numbers-go-up

9 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

No, you have not.  You have been repeating, but not common sense. 

It kinda is. You can pretty much expect people to take shortcuts IRL whenever they can. More so in a game. Why do you think metas exist even if in some situation they are limiting the player experience? To give you a personal example from another game: when I played MO there was a meta build Thursar-Khurite, but I wanted to play the dark elf. Sure I didn't change, but being ineffective I lost interest in the game pretty soon and quit.

You may not see it as common sense because you see Wurm as something different than a game - a virtual world or something, more akin to Second Life than to other MMORPGs. But for most players it's a game and it's being sold as a game.

There are a few such committed travellers on here in favour of this suggestion, and I would say that we are actually more committed to travel than you think you are.

Well said "a few". And no I am not committed to travel THAT way: I took teleports when it made sense, I went on multi-day trips with a tent and bedroll and using inns when it made sense to do so. If it ever makes sense I would even pay for a farwalker branch, so far it didn't. I also used village teleport on some of my alts.

Just because some players don't do what they like to because they don't benefit does not mean that ALL players behave like that.

Some players here = most players.

Repeating from above, what you insist will happen would have happened at least one of the many other times a teleport mechanic was introduced.  It didn't, so the common sense approach is to think it probably wouldn't this time either. 

Those are different. And I actually think some of them actually took from the game. I gave an example earlier with joining your first deed.

And let me give you a common example: summoning at rifts. I used it once and what I found out is that rifts are uninteresting, the only reason I liked it the first time I did it was that I actually took a trip over there and did some other things along the way. I no longer do rifts. I sometimes drop by if they are near where I am for the fighting xp and seeing other people.

I think scenarios like this take wonder away from the new player's experience. For a new player joining their first deed being taken by ship there is basically showcasing them some of the best things the game has to offer. Sure by the time they are at this new little settlement after sailing for 1 hour, that new player might log off to get to sleep, but they will want to get back the next day and continue with their gameplay. They will have a good impression of the game. If they are teleported directly there and given a picaxe "go mine" and spend 1 hour breaking 3 cave walls, they will think "this game is a chore" even if the village elder reassures them they will get quicker and break 6 cave walls an hour in the future.

Edited by Idlamn

Still one of the better suggestions in a very long time!

• Like 3

Idlamn talked a lot about the experiences why fast travelling won't work for Idlamn. Lets turn them into theory. 

On 5/31/2022 at 5:41 AM, elentari said:
On 5/31/2022 at 4:49 AM, TheTrickster said:

I still don't understand the argument of "I don't want to use it so I don't want anybody else to have the choice."  All of this "it's a core element" talk misses the essential "to me" part.  It is a sandbox and is different things to different people who want to play it in different ways.  Allowing fast travel for those who want it in no way has any effect at all on those wo don't want to use it.

Thanks for pointing out what a lot of people seem to fail to understand. 

On 5/31/2022 at 2:19 PM, TheTrickster said:

Or not, and it is a sandbox where we can choose what we want to do and how we want to play.

On 5/31/2022 at 11:38 PM, Sheffie said:

There's a big difference between saying "I believe fast travel is bad, therefore I will not do it" and saying "I believe fast travel is bad, therefore you will not do it"

But what Idlamn seems to be saying is, "I believe fast travel is bad because I would do it if it was an option, therefore it must not be an option"

I don't think there's any advantage in trying to argue this point with this person any further.

Wurm is a sandbox game. If wurm is just a sandbox, people can do whatever they want even other people doesn't like it.
Here is the trick. Wurm is also a game. Offer multiple options and let the player know how those choices affect the game and the players. 
A strategy game for finding dragon. A economic game for trading stuff. This can be a competition. 
That means if fast travelling suggestion doesn't benefit the player in a competitive game compare to now, the player may oppose the suggestion. 

A smart competitor know what to choose if the suggestion is being executed, there are slow travelling and fast travelling, he will choose fast travelling 100% the time. 
He choose fast travelling only because he is being competitive, like earning silvers more compare to slow travelling. Unfortunately, he doesn't like the suggestion change at all.
A smart competitor know what to choose if the suggestion is still a suggestion, there are slow travelling(stay what it is) and fast travelling, he opposes the suggestion and 100% choose slow travelling(stay what it is). 
He choose slow travelling(stay what it is) because he can earn more silvers compare to fast travelling being added.
Earn 10 silvers if there is no changes > 5 silvers choose fast travelling from two options after the change > 1 silvers choose slow travelling from two options after the change. He knows what option is the best for his competitive style.
This sounds cruel but this is a sandbox game, competitive playing style happen, chill playing style happen, other playing style can happen. 

On 5/31/2022 at 4:48 PM, TheTrickster said:

The fact is there is a grouping of naysayers who are essentially insisting that they are allowed their choice (to travel the distance between points) but want to deny others from having their own choice (to skip the distance and translate between points).  It is highly arrogant.

It is arrogant when wurm is just only a sandbox because sandbox means everyone can create nearly anything they want, no one should interrupt other player's choice.
However, wurm is not just a sandbox, wurm is also a game, can be a competitive game that can interrupt other players to create what they want to achieve. PVP server, private dragon slay, economic strategy business, etc.
If fast teleport change have a bad effect on finding a dragon to slay privately, the person can oppose the suggestion.
If ship building business owner predict a loss income of silvers after fast teleport update, the person can oppose the suggestion. 
If fast teleport increase raid frequency that the villagers don't like it in PVP server, the person can oppose the suggestion. 
These are just few examples why people would oppose the suggestion. 

I support fast travelling if the reason is reasonable, for example the NFI PVE to PVP server added portal to teleport, this is a great example of fast travelling because people can swap server faster without consider items transfer on ship(items are separtated on NFI PVE and PVP server unlike SFI). It isn't reasonable to slow down the travelling time if people swap server without the need of items transfer. 

On 4/26/2022 at 9:23 PM, Keenan said:

Edit: One other thing I would likely see us do before a merge is to allow travel to Epic first.

There might be a merge on NFI and Epic, i support fast travelling teleport swap servers there. 
But now i don't see any needs to add more teleport mechanic unless people convince me with good reasons.

Edited by Coach

unless epic is planned to be converted to 100% pve content or have just 1 map for pvp... current trend is .. pvp crowd's small, whatever the reason for that might be, nobody bothered to ask so far why people just don't want to have anything to do with it.. besides buying kingdom skins

honestly i think that the amazing amount of keyboard arguing over this is mindboggling, if you dont like the idea then state why you dont like the idea and then leave it at that. there really is no need to go back and forth argueing and downplaying other peoples statement(which also includes the belittling of others that is happening). we are supposed to be playing a game and like any game there with be people that play it differently than others. for my part i stand by my inital reaction to this i think this is a solid suggestion that could bring more work to crafters and preists and if implemented i would want to make sure that 1 these circles can not be on any player deed and 2 that these circles would be subject to the decay mechanic ala like bridges that go unused start to decay over time. If a person doesnt want to partake in using such a device then guess what? They do not have too. if this is implemented i might try it out a few times but nothing is going to keep me from my carts and boats for any forseeable amount of time.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kordethbludscythe said:

If a person doesnt want to partake in using such a device then guess what? They do not have too.

People keep saying this concept in this discussion. I already replied on the last post but lets reply it in a different way. 
Imagine someone suggest to add motor vehicles to wurm online. And people use this "If a person doesnt want to partake in using motor vehicles then guess what? They do not have too." as an argument to support adding motor vehicles. 
Ya, they don't have to, but motor vehicle did't appear in medieval time, and motor vehicle violate the core of wurm which is a medieval theme of a game. The suggestion of adding motor vehicle violate the person's expectation of wurm online. So the argument is not a reasonable one for them.
A logical concept doesn't mean it's reasonable reason.

Back to fast travelling, i think one of the core of wurm is everything takes time and effort to achieve something. If the suggestion of fast travelling save a lot of time and effort compare to the travelling we have now, that's a no.
Also this stone circles fast travel teleporting is gonna be abused by the meta-people. They use less time and effort to create more silvers, achieve things quicker, can teleport thousand of times, while the newbie doesn't have the requirements to use this stone circles. Require priest, 600 karma, gems, favor? What? Just like the caffeine mechanic added in the first time. Not a newbie friendly or a less playing time player friendly mechanic. It will increase the differences between meta-people and newbies or the causal.

On 5/22/2022 at 3:19 PM, Idlamn said:

You see this in all MMOs, they start adding all those facilities to make the game easy, suddently you hear the population asking for an old school game.

Some people think the core of wurm is an old school game. 

If the suggestion lean to a typical modern type of game and it violates their expectation, they may oppose it.

On 5/21/2022 at 12:15 PM, belacane said:

There is no need for Wurm to become just like another typical PC game UI and game play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coach said:
12 hours ago, kordethbludscythe said:

If a person doesnt want to partake in using such a device then guess what? They do not have too.

People keep saying this concept in this discussion. I already replied on the last post but lets reply it in a different way. 
Imagine someone suggest to add motor vehicles to wurm online. And people use this "If a person doesnt want to partake in using motor vehicles then guess what? They do not have too." as an argument to support adding motor vehicles. 
Ya, they don't have to, but motor vehicle did't appear in medieval time, and motor vehicle violate the core of wurm which is a medieval theme of a game. The suggestion of adding motor vehicle violate the person's expectation of wurm online. So the argument is not a reasonable one for them.
A logical concept doesn't mean it's reasonable reason.

I agree. It would be absurd to not use it from a game perspective - why use a horse at max 40kmh when you can use a motor vehicle at maybe 120kmh? For those of us who like the medieval setting of the game we would not like this change but we would have to conform - others are moving at 120kmh while we at 40 if we are lucky. It's like putting rockshards in your pocket only to not run. Sure you can play like that, but it wouldn't make sense game-wise.

An example from another game: in Aion they added a new mechanic called transformations - basically a bunch of powerfull buffs for your toon that also had the side effect of transforming it into some critter from the game (penguins, monsters, whatever). While the game does not force you to transform it is basically required to play effectively - which means any sort of character customization (very comprehensive - a unique selling point of that game) goes out the window.

2 hours ago, Coach said:

Back to fast travelling, i think one of the core of wurm is everything takes time and effort to achieve something. If the suggestion of fast travelling save a lot of time and effort compare to the travelling we have now, that's a no.

While travel in Wurm can take time it is also one of the most interesting mechanics of the game. You have to figure out navigation for once, take into account multiple factors, prepare your equipment, etc.

A lot of the other activities that are in Wurm also take time and some can be much less interesting, much less involving. If the game were to loose this aspect of travel I think it would be a much more bland and uninteresting game and that can only hurt when you have little development capacity to make the other aspects more interesting to compensate.

2 hours ago, Coach said:

Some people think the core of wurm is an old school game. 

If the suggestion lean to a typical modern type of game and it violates their expectation, they may oppose it.

On 5/21/2022 at 7:15 AM, belacane said:

In the end the argument can be made that everyone bought into the game with time and money with those expectations and the game, in the end, should meet them. There would be no reason for developers to cut off an integral part of the game because some people find it inconvenient at times.

Edited by Idlamn

Wurm is a unique game, as far as I know. Where else can I change the terrain, build everything I need, explore on land and sea, and invest in friendships with my (virtual) neighbors? All of these things take time and dedication in Wurm, and make it an exceptional experience.

Just like in real life, fast transportation has the potential to alter the fabric of Wurmian society. Before people had cars, everyone knew their neighbors and relied on each other for help. With the advent of "fast travel", though, I only see my real life neighbors as they walk from house to car, and have nearly no relationship with them. :( I love that Wurm has given me that window into the past, and I worry that by making things too easy and too fast, our community will also change into a more rushed and distant environment.

Perhaps a compromise might be automatic but not fast travel? In original Everquest, the boat ride from Kaladim to Freeport was that sort of journey. It took about 25 minutes, and you could leave your character standing or hang out on the boat. My husband and I would often get into sparring matches, and I only fell overboard twice! Anyway, a travel solution like a caravan might address both the desire to get safely home without having to babysit your avatar, and yet diminish the perseverance that Wurm requires.

As far as the original question of teleportation goes, I would reluctantly support the 1,000-tile radius, decaying version with a high building and high usage cost.

• Like 1

Sure.  Since you have to find them first, to activate them, there would still be travelling around the map.   I'm sure that on a big server like xan, they would really come in handy. 

I would also expect that people would create teleportation maps on the forums or add teleport points to the current user maintained maps.

I would of found them very handy when I used to travel to the other side of the server and wanted to get back fast on my horse.

The other good thing is that, if you have some favorite locations that you found on the map or have a friend who lives far away, you can zip over to them for a small fee. 

People might also start doing more quests if karma is one of the payments for teleportation.

You could even have a cool down system for teleporting. So if you teleport to the starter town (for example), that would only activate once every 24 hours or something.  

You could set a home (main) teleportation stone circle, so that you can always go back home though.

• Like 3

On 6/4/2022 at 12:23 AM, Coach said:

But all of the already-in-use methods of doing exactly that are fine?   Also, I think the actual OP has been largely ignored in this - there is a huge focus on "fast travel" and very little acknowledgement of the limited scope of this.  Exactly what slow travel is it going to replace?  Heavy hauling?  Wagoners  do that but didn't destroy travel.   Small personal deliveries?  Spirit houses etc do that but didn't replace travel.  Exploration?  It doesn't provide that at all so wouldn't effect travel for that.  

You have recall home from 80 med and summon soul from 80faith+ priests.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

But all of the already-in-use methods of doing exactly that are fine?   Also, I think the actual OP has been largely ignored in this - there is a huge focus on "fast travel" and very little acknowledgement of the limited scope of this.  Exactly what slow travel is it going to replace?  Heavy hauling?  Wagoners  do that but didn't destroy travel.   Small personal deliveries?  Spirit houses etc do that but didn't replace travel.  Exploration?  It doesn't provide that at all so wouldn't effect travel for that.  

It's a bit off topic to talk about every single already-in-use methods whether they should be added or not because the focus should be on whether this stone circles fast travel suggestion should be added or not. And a suggestion is about a comparison of between now and the ideal future.

If the fast travel consider a travel, then fast travel won't destroy travel after the adding because it's just add a different type of travel called the fast travel.

Whether stone circles fast travel destroy/replace travel(shipping, vehicle, walking, whatever, etc) or not, doesn't mean stone circles won't save a lot of time and effort in general to achieve something, compare to the travelling we have now. 

Whether Spirit house didn't replace travel or not, doesn't mean spirit house didn't save a lot of time and effort compare to shipping, transferring by vehicle or walking. 

What makes spirit house magical mailing(already-in-use methods) relate to the suggestion of stone circles fast travel?
A suggestion is for people to compare now and the ideal future. To discuss a suggestion is good or bad for the future and give reasons.

On 6/3/2022 at 10:23 PM, Coach said:

i think one of the core of wurm is everything takes time and effort to achieve something. If the suggestion of fast travelling save a lot of time and effort compare to the travelling we have now, that's a no.

Back to the stone circles fast travel, obviously, the suggestion will not destroy travel, but it will save a lot of the time and effort to achieve something compare to the travelling we have now. The suggestion is a no no for the future.

Edited by Coach

1 hour ago, Coach said:

but it will save a lot of the time and effort to achieve something compare to the travelling we have now

But no, it won't, because "what we have now" is a whole bunch of teleport stuff.

It will save some people some time some of the time.

• Like 1

But no, it won't, because "what we have now" is a whole bunch of teleport stuff.

It will save some people some time some of the time.

This topic is about the comparison of the stone circles teleport before the add(now) and after the add(Ideal future). 
Now: a whole bunch of teleport stuff 
Ideal future: a whole bunch of teleport stuff + stone circles teleport

We are talking about the amount of time and effort being saved that the stone circles teleport would bring. Not something we already have now that can save a lot time and effort because its out of topic. U were only talking about "Now: a whole bunch of teleport stuff."
That's why i had this questions.

2 hours ago, Coach said:

What makes already-in-use methods relate to the suggestion of stone circles fast travel?

i think one of the core of wurm is everything takes time and effort to achieve something, like this

14 hours ago, Keridwyn said:

All of these things take time and dedication in Wurm, and make it an exceptional experience. and i worry that by making things too easy and too fast.

Edited by Coach

I've edited the original post to make it clear that the minimum cost would be 500 karma or a 50ql gem. Longer distances would cost more, and bringing a mount would cost double.

This pricing structure will discourage use of stone circles for "short hops".

It will tend to encourage players to complete missions to earn Karma.

It will also tend to increase the price for gems.

This would not give players anything for free. It would give players a choice of spending time travelling, or earning karma, or earning silver to buy gems, or earning money IRL to buy silver.

Side note: Please don't begrudge players who have collected a large amount of gems or karma points, just because they may find a productive use for them. Those players worked to accumulate what they have.

Again, I'd like to stress that this is just one more way of travelling quickly from one point to the other. Wurm has numerous mechanisms of instant travel that have not "destroyed travel" and there's no reason to believe this one should be any different.

• Like 3

I live in the southern region of Deliverance and the southwest region of Cadence.  Because of the distances involved and the time involved to cover said distances, I'm simply not going to be wandering randomly around in the northern or eastern regions of Cadence, for example.  It took an inordinate amount of time traveling to the Deli Imp-along this past spring, and it'll take an inordinate amount of time to travel to the Cadence Imp-along in a couple weeks.

I wouldn't travel for a rift, nor would I be ready to just drop what I'm going and travel for a public unique slaying without some thought given to the matter.  I will not be arch'ing in those regions, nor gathering past settlement tokens for any sort of collection.  I will not learn the history of those regions using the in-game methods available to us.  I am certainly not going to be exploring in those regions to satisfy some random treasure map unless the reward were obscenely unbalanced (which I hope doesn't happen).

If there were a way to quickly travel to a specific region with a mount, and then quickly travel home with that mount, I would be far more open to exploring anywhere on Cadence.  I would think that with the exploration update coming, having more people out and exploring all over the islands would be something positive for the game.  It would also make the game feel more alive and more populated.

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way, and maybe not.  Maybe there are even those who don't want the riff-raff traipsing through "their" Local and who try to play this game as a single-player game and therefore are vehemently opposed to anything that makes exploration easier for the masses.

All I personally am asking for is what I posted earlier in the thread: a way to get to the various regions I might not otherwise visit, and back home again, without spending my entire playtime traveling in one direction.  I suspect I'm not the only one.

• Like 4

I guess i need to start suggesting all players can use an instant travel mechanism like a gm creative mode.

8 hours ago, Sheffie said:

Again, I'd like to stress that this is just one more way of travelling quickly from one point to the other. Wurm has numerous mechanisms of instant travel that have not "destroyed travel" and there's no reason to believe this one should be any different.

Well, Wurm has numerous mechanisms of instant travel that have not "destroyed travel" and there's no reason to believe the gm instant travel creative mode should be any different. What a wonderful argument🤭

6 hours ago, Zakiah said:

All I personally am asking for is what I posted earlier in the thread: a way to get to the various regions I might not otherwise visit, and back home again, without spending my entire playtime traveling in one direction.  I suspect I'm not the only one.

It's just one more way of travelling quickly from one point to the other. No big deal. Such a fun game.

Hey, it's faster than the stone circles teleport, don't even need to spend the entire time to reach to a stone circle😉. Is a yes to gm instant travel mechanism for players, right?

49 minutes ago, Coach said:

I guess i need to start suggesting all players can use an instant travel mechanism like a gm creative mode.

Well, Wurm has numerous mechanisms of instant travel that have not "destroyed travel" and there's no reason to believe the gm instant travel creative mode should be any different. What a wonderful argument🤭

It's just one more way of travelling quickly from one point to the other. No big deal. Such a fun game.

Hey, it's faster than the stone circles teleport, don't even need to spend the entire time to reach to a stone circle😉. Is a yes to gm instant travel mechanism for players, right?

That's a huge leap. Stone circles are a far cry from God Mode.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Katrat said:

That's a huge leap. Stone circles are a far cry from God Mode.

13 hours ago, Sheffie said:

Again, I'd like to stress that this(god mode teleport) is just one more way of travelling quickly from one point to the other. Wurm has numerous mechanisms of instant travel that have not "destroyed travel" and there's no reason to believe this one should be any different.

I still don't understand the argument of "I don't want to use it(god mode teleport) so I don't want anybody else to have the choice." It is a sandbox and is different things to different people who want to play it in different ways.  Allowing fast travel for those who want it in no way has any effect at all on those who don't want to use it.

Put (god mode teleport) into their sentences. It sounds perfect to the people who oppose god mode teleport.

13 hours ago, Sheffie said:

I still don't understand the argument of "I don't want to use it so I don't want anybody else to have the choice."  All of this "it's a core element" talk misses the essential "to me" part.  It is a sandbox and is different things to different people who want to play it in different ways.  Allowing fast travel for those who want it in no way has any effect at all on those who don't want to use it.

After reading their argument to support stone circles fast travel, i think they can apply to support god mode teleport in a certain way. Lets use them as references and learn from them.

Again, I'd like to stress that god mode teleport is just one more way of travelling quickly from one point to the other. Wurm has numerous mechanisms of instant travel that have not "destroyed travel" and there's no reason to believe this one should be any different.

I don't understand the argument of "I don't want to use god mode teleport so I don't want anybody else to have the choice."  It is a sandbox and is different things to different people who want to play it in different ways.  Allowing fast travel for those who want it in no way has any effect at all on those who don't want to use it.

Reason for edit:

18 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Please delete or re-edit that post of yours, to remove YOUR OWN WORDS from the quotes of others.  Just putting them it italics and braces does not excuse the misquotes.  What you have quoted is certainly not what I have said or think, and I am pretty confident the same would go for Sheffie.

Edited by Coach

18 minutes ago, Coach said:

Perfect.

Flawed. Stone circles are not god mode. No one is demanding god mode. The average player is not a GM either yet they can currently fast travel by other means. None of the other forms of existing fast travel for non GM players in wurm are god mode and thereby cannot be compared as such. But they indeed can be compared to stone circles.

Edited by Katrat
  • Like 1