Sign in to follow this  
Sheffie

Stone Circles for Fast Travel

Krill hoisted the last stone onto the circle.  
The middle stone began to glow an eeeriy amber blue.
  The earth seem to tremble suddenly as if some giant hand had pressed the stone down.
  The stones around the circle slowly began to ebb in pulse with the middle stone.
   Then without noise a small section of the middle stone opened. 
A small altar of some kind asking for payment for activation.
   Krill took the three gems around his neck and placed them on the stone.
  Suddenly in a flash the portal activated with a low ominous roar. 
But wait the power was so great the outer stones were beginning to crack under the enormous power, it would not last long.  
Mounting his steed Krill rode through the portal to the sound of roaring and an explosion behind him sealing  the destruction of the circle.

Thank you wurm player you have now traveled to location within 300 tiles of destination and the transporting circle is devastated. 
Time to be able to use again  1 week (24 hours)
Also the timer is on the character trying to build with an alt to go back through is a NO GO RED RIDER.

Next  notice the randomness of the teleport it is not exact.  You can only teleport to areas that have had a circle in them or your deed.  How do you know where you can teleport to well its called...wait for it..EXPLORATION muaahahahahahaha

Edited by puncher

On 5/21/2022 at 6:26 PM, Idlamn said:

I think the travel challenge is a part of the game.

On 5/24/2022 at 2:19 AM, SmeJack said:

Travelling is as far opposite to a challenge as anything could ever be

8 hours ago, Idlamn said:

If tedious and challenging are the issue

You quote me but seem to be ignoring the counters and just arguing with yourself? We get that you don't like the idea, some of us do like it 😀

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

I still don't understand the argument of "I don't want to use it so I don't want anybody else to have the choice."  All of this "it's a core element" talk misses the essential "to me" part.  It is a sandbox and is different things to different people who want to play it in different ways.  Allowing fast travel for those who want it in no way has any effect at all on those who don't want to use it.

A core mechanic of a game is not something subjective. If travelling was supposed to be a gimmick or mini-game or whatever do you think the devs would have implemented bridges, paving, hwys, ships, mounts and mount breeding, speed runes, speed equipment and other stuff? Imagine how many big updates have been wasted when we could have had more house architecture options, windows, more combat updates, etc.

I don't think wurmians that don't want teleport are the ones having preferences. I myself play a lot of MMOs with teleport and I am fine with it there, where it makes sense. In Wurm it does not. As I said before it's a form without substance in Wurm.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Idlamn said:

A core mechanic of a game is not something subjective. If travelling was supposed to be a gimmick or mini-game or whatever do you think the devs would have implemented bridges, paving, hwys, ships, mounts and mount breeding, speed runes, speed equipment and other stuff? Imagine how many big updates have been wasted when we could have had more house architecture options, windows, more combat updates, etc.

I don't think wurmians that don't want teleport are the ones having preferences. I myself play a lot of MMOs with teleport and I am fine with it there, where it makes sense. In Wurm it does not. As I said before it's a form without substance in Wurm.

For a sandbox, anything beyond "sandbox" being called a core mechanic is indeed subjective.  Just because development is invested in provided better travel does not mean that travel is a core element of Wurm.  There are plenty of people who play who do very little travel.  Likewise I have heard that skillgain a core mechanic - yet travel and skillgain are complete strangers.  They are skew.  Travel is just about the ONLY activity in Wurm that can be undertaken for hours at a time and give absolutely no direct in-game "increase" or benefit of any kind.  What are we to make of that?  Perhaps that while extremely commonplace it is still incidental to the activities that are prioritized?

Apart from that - what harm is there to you as a player, since you can still travel to your heart's content, if someone else just pops over by teleport to help someone with something (maybe enchanting a bunch of grass, for example) and then pops back home?  I think you will find the answer is "none".  Player A in eastern Xanadu merely wants their grass enchanted and Player 2 in the southwest of Xan merely wants to help with that - having put in the grind to be able to enchant.  You are saying that this can only be permitted if Player 2 physically puts in multiple hours of travel just for this one favour and then puts in multiple hours of travel back home afterwards.  I think you may forgotten what games are for.

I travel all the time - and I am unlikely to use a teleport often, or even at all really, because I travel for the enjoyment of the journey and exploring - but I have no speed runes, no speed equipment, my mount or team is simply whatever happens to be available, I spend most of my travel time not on paving at all let alone highways, so none of that has any bearing at all on travelling.  As to ships and mounts - one can never be riding both so which one is the core mechanic and which is not?  Just because the means to do something are available that does not mean that they must be used.

I have travelled a lot without any vehicle at all - much of it on my own two pixellated feet.  I therefore call your "core mechanic" and say that since character run speed is so constantly moderated and affected, travel on foot is the core mechanic and anything else is just spoiling Wurm.  Or not, and it is a sandbox where we can choose what we want to do and how we want to play.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

For a sandbox, anything beyond "sandbox" being called a core mechanic is indeed subjective.  Just because development is invested in provided better travel does not mean that travel is a core element of Wurm.  There are plenty of people who play who do very little travel.  Likewise I have heard that skillgain a core mechanic - yet travel and skillgain are complete strangers.  They are skew.  Travel is just about the ONLY activity in Wurm that can be undertaken for hours at a time and give absolutely no direct in-game "increase" or benefit of any kind.  What are we to make of that?  Perhaps that while extremely commonplace it is still incidental to the activities that are prioritized?

What exactly is this sandbox? A set of rules defined somewhere? It's just a general category. Yielding skillgain or not does not mean it is a core mechanic or not.

I've played long periods of time without terraforming or building - doesn't make it a side show. You can literally just eat, drink, travel and fight in this game if you, for instance, join a settlement on Epic only for pvp.

Apart from that - what harm is there to you as a player, since you can still travel to your heart's content, if someone else just pops over by teleport to help someone with something (maybe enchanting a bunch of grass, for example) and then pops back home?  I think you will find the answer is "none".  Player A in eastern Xanadu merely wants their grass enchanted and Player 2 in the southwest of Xan merely wants to help with that - having put in the grind to be able to enchant.  You are saying that this can only be permitted if Player 2 physically puts in multiple hours of travel just for this one favour and then puts in multiple hours of travel back home afterwards.  I think you may forgotten what games are for.

I travel all the time - and I am unlikely to use a teleport often, or even at all really, because I travel for the enjoyment of the journey and exploring - but I have no speed runes, no speed equipment, my mount or team is simply whatever happens to be available, I spend most of my travel time not on paving at all let alone highways, so none of that has any bearing at all on travelling.  As to ships and mounts - one can never be riding both so which one is the core mechanic and which is not?  Just because the means to do something are available that does not mean that they must be used.

I keep hearing this. I travel a lot in WO. All I can say is that I won't be doing it if we get teleport. It doesn't make sense. It's like \walking all the time in World of Warcraft - sure in a game like Runescape where you have tht energy meter it makes sense, but why would do it in WoW? Just to be slower than everyone else?

Or not, and it is a sandbox where we can choose what we want to do and how we want to play.

I gave an exmple earlier with skill books. Why isn't  it possible to level offline in WO? Some people want to be able to craft all decorations without doing a bazillion clicks to lvl up fine carpentry. Or making a bazillion spindels or whatever the meta is. It's how those players want to play the game, right? For the people who want to craft those bazillion spindles it's fine they can still do it...

I give this example because it is successfully employed in other games.

Edited by Idlamn

Sorry, the tone of that got a bit ranty.  Not so much what I said, but how I said left a bit to be desired.

For "sandbox" try on "an open world with no imposed story line or activities".  It's simplistic and incomplete but covers the basics.

The fact is there is a grouping of naysayers who are essentially insisting that they are allowed their choice (to travel the distance between points) but want to deny others from having their own choice (to skip the distance and translate between points).  It is highly arrogant.

I want to travel, but I also want people to be able to play the game they want to play.  If they teleport it is no skin of my nose.  In fact players teleport all the time, and I don't even notice. We also already have mailboxes and wagoners specifically provided to help avoid travel.

We DO already have teleports in WO.  If we have more teleports, I will still travel.  Because to me travel is worthwhile.  Conversely there are already a lot of people who already don't travel.  That's a bit of what "Exploration Update Part 1" is about - getting people off their deeds.

You are saying that implementation of this or something like it would actually be an improvement - because you would use it and abandon travelling - but at the same time saying travelling is better.  The argument has become paradoxical.  You would abandon travel if given the opportunity so you argue that the opportunity shouldn't exist.  I wonder if you have really read and remembered what is being proposed.  There are still plenty of activities where actual travel would be necessary.  These kind of teleports wouldn't help in a whole raft of situations.  

These arguments about travel being a core mechanic, or what makes Wurm unique, just don't hold water.  The problem is, that is so subjective and the arguments are so tenuous (e.g. that the existence of methods of travel demonstrate that travel itself is "core") refutation becomes a bit like herding cats, or putting a live squid in a string bag.

I will repeat:

37 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Travel is just about the ONLY activity in Wurm that can be undertaken for hours at a time and give absolutely no direct in-game "increase" or benefit of any kind.  What are we to make of that? 

Oddly, going a long distance in the game gets you nowhere.

This has become very bogged down, to which I know I have contributed (although not I alone).  I apologize to@Sheffiefor that.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheTrickster said:

The fact is there is a grouping of naysayers who are essentially insisting that they are allowed their choice (to travel the distance between points) but want to deny others from having their own choice (to skip the distance and translate between points).  It is highly arrogant.

You are saying that implementation of this or something like it would actually be an improvement - because you would use it and abandon travelling - but at the same time saying travelling is better.  The argument has become paradoxical.  You would abandon travel if given the opportunity so you argue that the opportunity shouldn't exist.  I wonder if you have really read and remembered what is being proposed.  There are still plenty of activities where actual travel would be necessary.  These kind of teleports wouldn't help in a whole raft of situations. 

We DO already have teleports in WO.  If we have more teleports, I will still travel.  Because to me travel is worthwhile.  Conversely there are already a lot of people who already don't travel.  That's a bit of what "Exploration Update Part 1" is about - getting people off their deeds.

Mine, and most player's purpose, is to play the game. Not to travel for no reason at all. When I read that it's like we're talking about a paralel state or something with rights and all not a game. Choice doesn't mean removing game rules entirely. What's the point of a game if we just du whatever we want? It would be like VRChat.

There certainly is choice. Players  can  also choose to travel  faster with better equipment, vehicles, timing. Or log off during travels with a tent. This is the kind of choices I am for. And truly traveling has the most choice from all the Wurm activities. 

These arguments about travel being a core mechanic, or what makes Wurm unique, just don't hold water.  The problem is, that is so subjective and the arguments are so tenuous (e.g. that the existence of methods of travel demonstrate that travel itself is "core") refutation becomes a bit like herding cats, or putting a live squid in a string bag.

I don't really know how to explain it better than what I already said. Ever since I first tried the game, while there werent multi-storey houses, cosmetic armors and all that stuff, there were roads and carts/horses. It never occured to me that they started with implementing features along this sideshow called travel so that players can have a way to transport themselves until they could implement teleportation somewhere in the 2020ies. Cmon guys... teleportation/fast travel is way easier to implement than all this other stuff.

Edited by Idlamn

You can have multiple forms of travel coexist and all be useful.

Consider real life travel. I'd walk to the next room, or the next house. For slightly longer distances I'd go by bicycle, but a bicycle has both an upper limit (my endurance) and a lower limit (it takes more effort to bike to a neighbor than to just walk there). Beyond the bicycle range I'd go by car, or bus, or train. Beyond that you have planes, and if we ever get around to colonizing Mars there'd be rockets.

We can go by foot in game, and horses and boats fill a role somewhat between real life bicycles and cars.

The role these stone circles should fill is similar to real life planes. (Or perhaps that'd make them airports.) They can get you somewhere distant fast, but their coverage is coarse. In real life you might use a plane to get to a holiday destination, but you then use other modes of transport to explore that holiday destination. Then at the end you take another plane back home. Just like that, the stone circles would unlock locations that you could otherwise not feasibly visit.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Idlamn said:

I don't really know how to explain it better than what I already said.

It isn't that I don't comprehend your explanations.  It is that I do not accept them as valid arguments.

Cmon guys... teleportation/fast travel is way easier to implement than all this other stuff.

Which is why it has already been implemented.  Fun fact, teleportation is the mechanic implemented to enable using horses and vehicles.  Not counting that, there is still also teleportation available through priests; also the one-off teleport when you first join a deed.  That one I used, and I think that was a mistake on my part.  I don't think everyone regrets it though.

Mine, and most player's purpose, is to play the game. Not to travel for no reason at all.

So we agree on certain points.  I almost always wind up with a reason to travel, though.  If I need to completely remodel my fencing and part of my house - that's a perfect reason to see what inland Celebration looks like  😁.  

The thing is, the fittingness (real word?) of travel in Wurm is not something I need to be persuaded to accept.  I already accept it.  However, that to me is not an argument to deny people the limited ability to just get the job done when the travel is ONLY to get their character to a particular location to do something.   I am also against the notion that anyone should be forced to grind just for the sake of a grind.  Long travel is that kind of grind for some people in some situations, and a limited ability to avoid that grind is not something I object to people being able to access.

Think of two locations, both on the highway system and the highway well covered with towers - a player has been between these points many times.  What is the difference to you (not to them) between ;

1. yet again shuttling along this perfectly safe and "urbanized" route from A to B, imp a friend's fences and shuttle back from B to A 
  2. going to one of the pair of portals that the player has passed umpteen times before and porting from A to B, imp a friend's fences and port back from B to A.?

To the player, the only difference is saving some time in-game, which for some could be the difference between Wurm being worth playing or Wurm being endless travel staring at the same stuff over and over for an occasional brief period "playing".

To you, I don't think there is any difference at all.  If the player is you, what is to be gained by travelling the exact same eventless route for the forty-eleventh time?

I keep thinking of a quote that seems relevant: "I need my pain!"  

Players  can  also choose to travel  faster with better equipment

Great - think of teleporting as the best equipment providing the fastest travel.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Idlamn said:

Cmon guys... teleportation/fast travel is way easier to implement than all this other stuff.

That might be why it was already implemented long before all those extra things you mention, and why theres now 6 different types of teleportation implemented in the game... yes 6, this is merely asking one more ;) twigs and stones have existed for more than 15 years to get you exactly where you want to go! recall home takes you right back again along with karma added later. Insanity offers an unreliable yet still teleportation method and the later addition of summon soul a more precise, repeatable and essentially free option. If you think teleportation was left by the wayside you are very sorely mistaken.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

It isn't that I don't comprehend your explanations.  It is that I do not accept them as valid arguments.

The thing is, the fittingness (real word?) of travel in Wurm is not something I need to be persuaded to accept.  I already accept it.  However, that to me is not an argument to deny people the limited ability to just get the job done when the travel is ONLY to get their character to a particular location to do something.   I am also against the notion that anyone should be forced to grind just for the sake of a grind.  Long travel is that kind of grind for some people in some situations, and a limited ability to avoid that grind is not something I object to people being able to access.

Think of two locations, both on the highway system and the highway well covered with towers - a player has been between these points many times.  What is the difference to you (not to them) between ;

1. yet again shuttling along this perfectly safe and "urbanized" route from A to B, imp a friend's fences and shuttle back from B to A 
  2. going to one of the pair of portals that the player has passed umpteen times before and porting from A to B, imp a friend's fences and port back from B to A.?

To the player, the only difference is saving some time in-game, which for some could be the difference between Wurm being worth playing or Wurm being endless travel staring at the same stuff over and over for an occasional brief period "playing".

To you, I don't think there is any difference at all.  If the player is you, what is to be gained by travelling the exact same eventless route for the forty-eleventh time?

I keep thinking of a quote that seems relevant: "I need my pain!"  

For me travel being an integral part of the game has been a given since I first tried Wurm maybe 10 yrs ago or more. I would say it's even common sense that does not need any philosophical debate over it but I also did that. It seems to me that there is a number of players that want a certain type of playthrough without travel so dearly.

Same goes with the argument that teleport won't ruin travel. Obviously if you have a system it won't be used just in case you need to do someone a  favor and imp their fences, and in other situations, for no reason, just put the effort to travel, and for no reason also get a rare knarr for 1g, you know for the speed and all...

You can turn it all the ways around as you like. The devs won't ruin the game for the rest of the playerbase just because some players don't like travel. Same goes for other areas like combat, or crafting or whatever.

also the one-off teleport when you first join a deed.  That one I used, and I think that was a mistake on my part.  I don't think everyone regrets it though.

I don't regret it. I started when it wasn't. Joining my first deed was like an intro quest, done by players. Traveling over the snowy mountains, thain by knarr over the misty lake to reach this place. New players won't get that. They will be teleported directly in front of the forge which they will spend the next few hours looking at.

Great - think of teleporting as the best equipment providing the fastest travel.

It will be the only equipment. The rest would be used only for decor.

1 hour ago, SmeJack said:

That might be why it was already implemented long before all those extra things you mention, and why theres now 6 different types of teleportation implemented in the game... yes 6, this is merely asking one more ;) twigs and stones have existed for more than 15 years to get you exactly where you want to go! recall home takes you right back again along with karma added later. Insanity offers an unreliable yet still teleportation method and the later addition of summon soul a more precise, repeatable and essentially free option. If you think teleportation was left by the wayside you are very sorely mistaken.

I know, I used 2 of them a few days ago. We're discussing this extra one as you call it here.

Edited by Idlamn

There's a big difference between saying "I believe fast travel is bad, therefore I will not do it" and saying "I believe fast travel is bad, therefore you will not do it"

But what Idlamn seems to be saying is, "I believe fast travel is bad because I would do it if it was an option, therefore it must not be an option"

I don't think there's any advantage in trying to argue this point with this person any further.

• Like 1

If this kind of teleporter is crafter-linked (i.e. high crafting skill requirements and laughably low casting requirments), this is further content gated from priest players who are already shafted when it comes to transport (we can't imp our own boats/wagons/carts, nor can we easily build roads with our restrictions).

If it were caster-linked (high casting requirements but laughably low crafting requirements), you are adding a large advantage to priests that crafters don't have which isn't a great idea, but it isn't the worst.

If you make it both caster and crafter dependent (mid-level skills), you are essentially just punishing people who don't use alts.

The best alternative would be to gate it behind high channeling combined with high archaeology (i.e a spell gated behind archaeology and channeling) and high stone cutting (and technically mining because you need materials) - it's not easy to "alt priest" it (high channeling and high archaeology takes time and effort as a priest main), while high stonecutting is out of reach for priests due to their ability to only get creation ticks.  Essentially it is something that requires a hard working community of 2, or a solid no-lifer!

30 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

If this kind of teleporter is crafter-linked (i.e. high crafting skill requirements and laughably low casting requirments), this is further content gated from priest players who are already shafted when it comes to transport (we can't imp our own boats/wagons/carts, nor can we easily build roads with our restrictions).

If it were caster-linked (high casting requirements but laughably low crafting requirements), you are adding a large advantage to priests that crafters don't have which isn't a great idea, but it isn't the worst.

If you make it both caster and crafter dependent (mid-level skills), you are essentially just punishing people who don't use alts.

The best alternative would be to gate it behind high channeling combined with high archaeology (i.e a spell gated behind archaeology and channeling) and high stone cutting (and technically mining because you need materials) - it's not easy to "alt priest" it (high channeling and high archaeology takes time and effort as a priest main), while high stonecutting is out of reach for priests due to their ability to only get creation ticks.  Essentially it is something that requires a hard working community of 2, or a solid no-lifer!

have you seen@daddon niarja.. it's priest account.. and have higher skills than ~90%+ of the players

Edited by Finnn

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

have you seen@daddon niarja.. it's priest account.. and have higher skills than ~90%+ of the players

Ah the good old days, when you could go to chaos and grind skills without de-priesting....

4 hours ago, Sheffie said:

There's a big difference between saying "I believe fast travel is bad, therefore I will not do it" and saying "I believe fast travel is bad, therefore you will not do it"

But what Idlamn seems to be saying is, "I believe fast travel is bad because I would do it if it was an option, therefore it must not be an option"

I don't think there's any advantage in trying to argue this point with this person any further.

What I am saying "fast travel is bad because it breaks the game". I think that was pretty clear in my posts.

If standard travel is such a core element of wurm then why are there players who have happily played the game in the same spot for years? I personally know of several who planted a deed and just kept building on it and never left it. They don't travel at all. How would that even be possible if travel was such a core element? And if fast travel would break the game then priest summoning should have already done so.

Edited by Katrat
  • Like 3

What I am saying "fast travel is bad because it breaks the game". I think that was pretty clear in my posts.

"Breaks" what exactly, and how?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Idlamn said:

For me travel being an integral part of the game has been a given since I first tried Wurm...

Critically: "For me".  Subjectively. 

I have seen this "what it is to me" argument for wanting to reject all manner of qol improvements.  I think this person is a bit along the same lines - in their own experience of the game, this is a key feature.  I get that, which is why I think optional mechanisms are the way to go (and, indeed, a massively user-configurable experience would be a great "feature" for any game), but usually would simply say "it's okay, you don't have to use it if you don't want".  Apparently, though, we have a situation where someone doesn't want it because even if only optional they would opt to use it and the game would break.  I don't think there is any traction to be had here, but it is worth trying to understand the POV, without necessarily subscribing to it.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Critically: "For me".  Subjectively. 

I have seen this "what it is to me" argument for wanting to reject all manner of qol improvements.  I think this person is a bit along the same lines - in their own experience of the game, this is a key feature.  I get that, which is why I think optional mechanisms are the way to go (and, indeed, a massively user-configurable experience would be a great "feature" for any game), but usually would simply say "it's okay, you don't have to use it if you don't want".  Apparently, though, we have a situation where someone doesn't want it because even if only optional they would opt to use it and the game would break.  I don't think there is any traction to be had here, but it is worth trying to understand the POV, without necessarily subscribing to it.

You are taking this out of context. I wasn't being at all subjective, I was telling you that travel is part of Wurm and that you are turning it around in all sorts of ways just becuse you want teleport so much. Full context below:

16 hours ago, Idlamn said:

For me travel being an integral part of the game has been a given since I first tried Wurm maybe 10 yrs ago or more. I would say it's even common sense that does not need any philosophical debate over it but I also did that. It seems to me that there is a number of players that want a certain type of playthrough without travel so dearly.

Same goes with the argument that teleport won't ruin travel. Obviously if you have a system it won't be used just in case you need to do someone a  favor and imp their fences, and in other situations, for no reason, just put the effort to travel, and for no reason also get a rare knarr for 1g, you know for the speed and all...

You can turn it all the ways around as you like. The devs won't ruin the game for the rest of the playerbase just because some players don't like travel. Same goes for other areas like combat, or crafting or whatever.

This whole argument with non-teleportists being subjectively biased is getting tiresome. I play and played a lot of games with teleport, and I like and liked them like that. Nothing against it where it works. For Wurm it doesn't.

And again the argument with optional... which is false. It will be mandatory to play the game effectively, therefore changing (the proper word would be breaking) the game for everyone else who wants to play the game as it has been. Game rules aren't something people opt in and out as they please. This isn't Second Life, IMVU or VRChat.

9 hours ago, Katrat said:

If standard travel is such a core element of wurm then why are there players who have happily played the game in the same spot for years? I personally know of several who planted a deed and just kept building on it and never left it. They don't travel at all. How would that even be possible if travel was such a core element? And if fast travel would break the game then priest summoning should have already done so.

Just because some want to stay at their deed doesn't mean it's a minigame-mechanic. If they wanted/needed to travel they would have to go through it like anyone else. I haven't changed a slope in years on my deeds, does that make terraforming a minigame? If I needed to place a house in an uneven area should it be autmatically leveled for me so that I can opt out?

Sandbox doesn't mean all those aspects are optional.

Priest travel is hardly even close to what is proposed here.

Edited by Idlamn

5 hours ago, Idlamn said:

you are turning it around in all sorts of ways just becuse you want teleport so much.

No.  As I have said many times, I don't want teleport and wouldn't use it.  

It will be mandatory to play the game effectively,

Rubbish.

Priest travel is hardly even close to what is proposed here.

Then you have utterly failed to comprehend the suggestion.

• Like 1

Rubbish.

Please be decent. I could have called easily called "rubbish" on a number of your posts if I wanted to, but I decided to ignore it and discuss constructively. Take for example this low hanging fruit - where you are saying that without teleportation we wouldn't have horses or vehicles:

On 5/31/2022 at 3:20 PM, TheTrickster said:

Which is why it has already been implemented.  Fun fact, teleportation is the mechanic implemented to enable using horses and vehicles.

I would have been more entitled to call you on this "bold" claim than you are to call me on something that is common sense: in every game where you have a shortcut players will take it for effectiveness.

It shows that there is no reason to argue - you just want teleport - when I put it plainly clear why that would remove travel from the game you just call it "rubbish".

19 minutes ago, Idlamn said:

when I put it plainly clear why that would remove travel from the game you just call it "rubbish".

Mailboxes didn't remove travel from the game.

Wagoners didn't remove travel from the game.

Town Portal didn't remove travel from the game.

Recover Corpse didn't remove travel from the game.

Priests casting Summon didn't remove travel from the game.

Being able to respawn at a tent didn't remove travel from the game.

Farwalker Twigs and Farwalker Stones didn't remove travel from the game.

Village teleport didn't remove travel from the game.

Path of Insanity "Teleport" didn't remove travel from the game.

The meditation ability "Recall Home" didn't remove travel from the game.

Fast travel through stone circles, with a cooldown and a non-zero cost per journey, might not remove travel from the game.

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Idlamn said:

I would have been more entitled to call you on this "bold" claim

Try an action right as you embark/disembark and read the error message.

38 minutes ago, Idlamn said:

you just want teleport

You plainly either do not comprehend or are trolling. You keep repeating this even though I have stated categorically several times that I don't actually want teleports.  I do want as many people as possible to enjoy Wurm as much as possible.

41 minutes ago, Idlamn said:

when I put it plainly clear why that would remove travel from the game you just call it "rubbish"

No, you claim it would but your reasoning is not even specious but obviously your own conclusion based on your own paradigm of Wurm.  What I called rubbish is the claim that these teleports will become mandatory to play effectively.   There are many teleport and other travel avoiding mechanisms, and not one of those has removed travel from the game, despite a couple being incredibly convenient.  Yes, I was probably getting a bit impolite, but concrete thinking tries my patience.

• Like 1

If players had to pay minimum of 1silver, extra is times total weight some (kind of formula).

I could see the use of this being a new money sink for the game. Plus needing to use karma would be a nice addon.

This mechanic would force players to choose traveling the cheap way (free) by walking, riding or sailing, vs the fast costly way.

summary:

I like the idea just needs check and bounds. (balancing)

PS, Would this be a decay on every use item? With no repair option too?

• Like 1