Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

New Atypical Lags

There are new lags recently which differ a lot from previous lag behaviour. They occur frequently but without clear pattern.

Normally, a lag occurs during client and server, and is executed syncroneously. That means, the player (client side) initiates an action, the action is transmitted to the server. The lag may occur merely client side (e.g. CPU congestion), may happen network side client to server, on server during processing the action, on network server to client when sending the resulting frame and data, or on client while processing and presenting the result. In all cases, the lag is fully syncroneous.

The new lags are different, and worrying. When I execute a series of actions, and I can stack 8, meaning issueing 9 actions at a time, sometimes the progress bar stops at the usual "Finishing" and "Refreshing .." is displayed on right click, But when the lag ends after sometimes one minute or so, all or most stacked client actions have been executed, the results reflected in Event, Combat, Skill etc. window.

Normally, it is possible to abort stacked actions which can be important in some cases to avoid item loss or combat damage. With these new lags, that is not possible anymore. Maybe something in the execution or command processing stack on server side has been changed for performance reasons, but this behaviour is evil.

This kind of "asynchronous lag" is far from new. I've been experiencing them randomly for years. In fact, for me they seem to be more frequent than other kinds of lag. Which server are you on? 

• Like 2

On Xanadu. But I never experienced them prior to recently. Ok, except during dragon slayings ..

I too saw a similar experience today on Xan. imping bowls, hung on finishing the first, then when it caught up all four actions were completed in event log complete with skill tics etc.

Edit: I have also been disconnected\reconnected at least once the last few days. Though that is not a new issue, the frequency is. I have typically only seen that on rare occasion.

Edited by Huserx

Yeah that's xan hanging for a short second

To be honest it almost sounds like a combination of optimization and resource allocation issues: the ONLY time i see this type of lag was when i was at a slay of any sort and/or on a server with a big event(think 50+ ppl in local) going on - even when i was on chaos with 25 toons online during the founding it was never like that

6 hours ago, Yaga said:

This kind of "asynchronous lag" is far from new. I've been experiencing them randomly for years. In fact, for me they seem to be more frequent than other kinds of lag. Which server are you on? 

it's really old, at least 4 years old, I've had it once, usually not having any issues with client/server, good ping etc.. on my side, but had a mining que end and generate output while I was actually not in the game because of dc or crash at the time, after client restart just had all shards I needed but wasn't able to mine before relogging