Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Travel Bugs - Exploration Update Focus

With the incoming exploration update, a lot of people are going to be leaving their homes and discovering that travelling in wurm is like visiting an entomologist - an enjoyable day filled with bugs.

There are a couple of really big ones that need some attention, and I'd like to suggest they're focused on before the exploration update drops:

1.  Tent Permissions - make a tent, lock it, try it out at home.  Everything works well.  Travel to another server, do the same as usual, lose all your stuff because permissions do not function.  Some kind of cross-server permissions (similar to vehicles) is needed for locked tents.

2.  "Oops, you clipped a wall, better dismount you buddy".  This is a really annoying bug that hits especially often when exploring caves with fences/hedges near the entrance.

3.  "I'll follow you anywhere! <- He says fading into the distance".  Pet and led animal pathing is a real issue when navigating tight deeds, or even exploring outside.  The number of times I've been riding down a road, only to have to backtrack 20 mins because the wildcat I tamed got snagged on a wall corner is...  Well, if I had a silver for every time I'd be at around 97 silver.

4.  "Hmm, I just crossed the server, better jump overboard".  Crossing server borders is always a pain, for some reason you end up in the water, even though you're on the boat.  You either need to relog to fix this (pain), or disembark, then re-embark - if there is more than one of you on the boat, and you're being transported AFK this becomes a real nightmare!

• Like 6

5. Diving out of your boat for no reason when executing a hard turn.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Etherdrifter said:

1.  Tent Permissions - make a tent, lock it, try it out at home.  Everything works well.  Travel to another server, do the same as usual, lose all your stuff because permissions do not function.  Some kind of cross-server permissions (similar to vehicles) is needed for locked tents.

For some reason the locks don't seem to always transfer properly. Sometimes it works, other times it'll say something like "the lock has rusted away" when examining the tent. I always take an extra lock or two along when going to a different server, so I can replace it when the original lock bugs out.

2.  "Oops, you clipped a wall, better dismount you buddy".  This is a really annoying bug that hits especially often when exploring caves with fences/hedges near the entrance.

Yes. This can be lethal if it happens at just the wrong time, and is really annoying the rest of the time.

3.  "I'll follow you anywhere! <- He says fading into the distance".  Pet and led animal pathing is a real issue when navigating tight deeds, or even exploring outside.  The number of times I've been riding down a road, only to have to backtrack 20 mins because the wildcat I tamed got snagged on a wall corner is...  Well, if I had a silver for every time I'd be at around 97 silver.

You can set up an audio alert in Wurm Assistant on "You stop leading", but that can't distinguish between pathing issues and whenever you intentionally stop, so it's no real solution. But it can save you 19 minutes at least.

The game should just properly move whatever you're leading though. 

4.  "Hmm, I just crossed the server, better jump overboard".  Crossing server borders is always a pain, for some reason you end up in the water, even though you're on the boat.  You either need to relog to fix this (pain), or disembark, then re-embark - if there is more than one of you on the boat, and you're being transported AFK this becomes a real nightmare!

I've made a number of crossings with a priest alt, and for whatever reason, my main always ends up in the water while my priest always stays in the boat. The only difference is that the alt is on very low graphics settings.

I once got dumped in the water next to a shark and the shark did attack me. I think you really are in the water, only the boat doesn't realize that, which is why you first have to disembark.

• Like 1

The invisible Horse/Cart when walking over a Mine door.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

I never use a tent, but I understand people who do, it's annoying and I believe the basis of the issue is how each server stores its own data. This needs to be solved on a sever data issue. 

Forces us to relog yeah, annoying as heck. 

I would be at around 10 gold. 

This is why I am always hesitant to take boat trips. It's one of those small irks in Wurm that for me acts like someone scratching his nails on a chalkboard. It's been a bug for years and everyone has experienced it. I haven't met one wurmian who hasn't and if he says he doesn't bug out, I'd probably think of him a liar or he doesn't sail at all to understand what's the issue. 

The weirdest thing is ... this didn't used to be a thing. I vividly remember crossing from desertion to Elevation years ago many times and I was on the boat. The passengers were on the boat. (not always, but 90% of the time no bugs happened)  Something broke at one point that made this a persistent issue that hasn't been solved. 

I honestly think post exploration update, dev focus should be on 2 fronts : the new player experience and fixing these stupid bugs that have been in the game for years and cause nothing but frustration. Everyone experiences them and just makes the game annoying to the point I rage quit for a short time until my goldfish memory forgets about why I quit. 

• Like 2

Yeah, these issues need to be addressed urgently. I'd say if they're not addressed in this upcoming update, that they need to be priority #1 before any new changes are implemented. Get the foundation correct before adding on new rooms and additions.

try exploring by riding a tamed creature.. or taming a new pet.. or champion to bring home.. it's certainly " a trip " to remember

disembarking on uneven terrain is another old bug, anything that becomes borderline impossible to ride or continue on.. water or high slope and kicks you off the vehicle, best example is water with max depth where you can still use a cart, maybe it's uneven slope corners on roads.. but "bumps" stopping player's movement force disembark

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

With the incoming exploration update, a lot of people are going to be leaving their homes and discovering that travelling in wurm is like visiting an entomologist - an enjoyable day filled with bugs.

There are a couple of really big ones that need some attention, and I'd like to suggest they're focused on before the exploration update drops:

12 hours ago, Ajala said:

7 hours ago, Finnn said:

disembarking on uneven terrain is another old bug, anything that becomes borderline impossible to ride or continue on.. water or high slope and kicks you off the vehicle, best example is water with max depth where you can still use a cart, maybe it's uneven slope corners on roads.. but "bumps" stopping player's movement force disembark

These are the main reasons I don't travel to unfamiliar servers. These and the "cared for" animal bugs when switching servers. If traveling to a new server equals losing your animals, gear and life to some long ignored game bug like getting disembarked on a steep mountain side and not being able to find your corpse or cart/mount again then whats the point?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elentari said:

I haven't met one wurmian who hasn't and if he says he doesn't bug out, I'd probably think of him a liar or he doesn't sail at all to understand what's the issue. 

It has never happened to me, and I sail inter-server a lot.  😉  However, I sail solo, which I think is the critical aspect.  The thought that I have a multi-person ship but can only safely take one across the border in a ship is a bit daunting, though.

I take cargo, but no animals and no other characters.  I have read enough horror stories to avoid those - but it would be better to not have to even think about it.

8 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

It has never happened to me, and I sail inter-server a lot.  😉  However, I sail solo, which I think is the critical aspect. 

It happens to me all the time when crossing solo, too.

It's *usually* safe though, just annoying. Except that one time I met a shark.

It's not a bug but travel/exploration related.

We could use another camera setting in 3rd person view, that would be even more far from player, for travel on wagons and ships.

Currently, second view is almost in wagon.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2022 at 1:37 PM, Ajala said:

This is the most annoying.

Somewhat similar:

And please address this:

Edited by Idlamn

On 5/19/2022 at 11:06 AM, Etherdrifter said:

4.2. Getting disembarked on a server crossing from A to B, but on the front end of the switch. The ship travels to the plotted-course server B on its own, while the players get dropped overboard into the sea on server A. Happens solo or with passengers, and in the latter case with everyone or just part of the crew.

I have had (myself and witnessed on others) a handful of cases in the last months. In the cases where I was solo or the whole crew dropped, I was lucky to get help from other players who fished me out and brought me cross-server to find my ship. (Yes, the first time I called support, but then found a helping hand before support had time for me and cancelled the ticket. The other times I managed to source help before having to bother support.) I've also witnessed it happen to others, and fished them out to return them to their ship on the other side of the server border (all the while hoping the bug didn't hit us again and leave two crews adrift :P).

On 5/19/2022 at 6:05 PM, Finnn said:

disembarking on uneven terrain is another old bug

Getting catapulted off your cart or mount by(nearby?) a fence, seemingly over the fence. Then you have to figure out a) which side of the fence the game thinks you are on, so you can reach your cart again, and b) how to get out of the fence if needed. Also similar problem by sliding down a slope on foot and getting thrown over a fence at the bottom.

On 5/19/2022 at 1:54 PM, HawkHawk said:

The invisible Horse/Cart when walking over a Mine door.

X) Oh yeah, so much of that, especially early as a newbie before I figured out the cause to avoid it, or how to fix it. Not fixing the root issue, but an easy in-the-moment fix is to walk into an open cave tile.