Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Development Update - May 2022

On 5/17/2022 at 4:46 PM, Eyesgood said:

Wurm's anniversary is approaching fast.  Please consider opening up the border between NFI and SFI.  More player interaction and more trading opportunities are good things for this sandbox.

You want to improve new players experience them? Let the older players interact and help them

Everytime I see someone asking for help I try to either go there and help or mail them an item, and sure enough theyre never on the compatible servers

• Like 4

22 hours ago, elentari said:

@Keenan is the explo update live on the test server so we can do some testing?

Development has been tight, but we should have some notes up for general testing in the next day or so. Unfortunately one of our developers working on the update came down with COVID, which has impacted the schedule. At this time we aren't pushing the patch date out, but it does mean a crunch on public testing.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Keenan said:

Development has been tight, but we should have some notes up for general testing in the next day or so. Unfortunately one of our developers working on the update came down with COVID, which has impacted the schedule. At this time we aren't pushing the patch date out, but it does mean a crunch on public testing.

Personally I prefer pushing the patch and do a proper public testing and give some time to fix possible issue and address concerns

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, KillerSpike said:

Personally I prefer pushing the patch and do a proper public testing and give some time to fix possible issue and address concerns

It's a bit of damned if you do and damned if you don't for the devs unfortunately, but in this case I agree a reasonable time to address issues and fix bugs would be the better path, provided that is what actually happens.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Keenan said:

Thanks for letting us know, @Keenan.  I don't envy the position, delay and get complaints for another delay, push ahead and get complaints about rushed testing.

Hmm,,,  maybe call it "Released for testing for x-period".   😉

• Like 1

Yeah I can live with delays if we manage to do some testing and iron out whatever bugs we can find :D 

P.S. Hope the sick dev gets well and it's a mild covid 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 2

I hope the sick devs get better soon!

Delays happen. Everyone is always in uproar about an event that is delayed, but then it eventually happens and everyone forgets that they were in uproar in the first place ;)  Proper testing is a good idea. Looking forward to the patch when it's ready!

• Like 3

Since its Friday and we had no public testing we can assume the release date is pushed?

13 minutes ago, Bekador said:

Since its Friday and we had no public testing we can assume the release date is pushed?

If you read topic, like the posts right before your, you will find out that a dev has covid. So yep a delay.

• Cat 1

10 minutes ago, Bekador said:

The short answer is yes. We've made the decision to push the release by a week in order to allow for time to public test the new features.

We are currently putting together a post with all the information needed for testing, as well as a map dump of Oracle to help with treasure maps, and we will have that up by tomorrow.

I apologize for the short notice in pushing the date, but we feel it is important to have some feedback from you all before we push this to live.

I'll also edit the original post to reflect the new date of June 7th.

• Like 8

@cecci

If you read the post from Keenan from tuesday you would have noticed that the date was NOT officially pushed despite the covid case in the dev team:  "At this time we aren't pushing the patch date out,"

So unless someone is clairvoyant there was no way of knowing of the delay unless Keenan confirmed it after your post. There may have been something in the grapevine, but some of us are mere humans and not part of the mysterious ways some information flows in wurm and have to wait for official confirmations.

Edited by Bekador
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Keenan said:

We are currently putting together a post with all the information needed for testing, as well as a map dump of Oracle to help with treasure maps, and we will have that up by tomorrow.

Will there be an in game map also (I could only find in game map of "Ocrea", not sure if that is same server or not)? (atm it seems to just show southern isles overview when opening in game map). Also, is there a server page for the oracle server that show uptime, etc?

Edited by Drogos

2 hours ago, Drogos said:

Will there be an in game map also (I could only find in game map of "Ocrea", not sure if that is same server or not)? (atm it seems to just show southern isles overview when opening in game map). Also, is there a server page for the oracle server that show uptime, etc?

It doesn't have a server uptime page, being s test server it goes up and down at will 

2 minutes ago, Archaed said:

It doesn't have a server uptime page, being s test server it goes up and down at will 

Exactly the reason why it would be nice if it had a status page, just like the others do, like https://freedom002.game.wurmonline.com/

17 minutes ago, Archaed said:

Never mind, I found it :)

On 5/17/2022 at 2:24 PM, Keenan said:

It's being investigated, I can dig into the progress of that.

Any update on this please? I am a rather eager beaver

On 5/17/2022 at 4:15 PM, Keenan said:

With that being said, I wanted to talk about the recent video from Josh Strife Hayes. If you haven’t seen it, I recommend giving it a watch here. One thing I’ve struggled with since stepping up into the manager role has been determining what we’re going to be doing after this Exploration Update is complete. This is precisely why I’ve yet to release a more in-depth road map. This is not for lack of ideas; we have enough ideas to keep Wurm going for a long time between you all and the development team. It’s a matter of priority and what would be best for the game as a whole. The clear response from that review is that we need to fix what is broken, polish the rougher edges, and focus on the new player experience.

I still intend for us to work on PvP and decor in the months after Exploration is finished, as I mentioned in a previous thread, and I still plan for us to review some of the skills that we have and improve on them. I believe these things can be done alongside a more “back to basics” approach. We touch on the new player experience every few years, but it’s essential to review how new players see and learn the game. I also want to check other game areas and see how a new player would approach them. Some things, like meditation, are arguably essential to the gameplay due to the bonuses but are nigh on impossible to discover without help. That is not to say that everything should be easily found out, this is Wurm, after all, but we should be doing a better job introducing some mechanics earlier on.

I really  gotta say that all the time I played Wurm I had this feeling that Wurm development team knew how to prioritize what is most useful, impactful, meaningful. Not only that but also to what extent to take those ideas and get something to the players that they can enjoy.

In fact I had this feeling when I started Wurm for  real, as I had a few false starts before in the no animation age, and I was so pleased to see all the customizability - both players and houses. It wasn't anything comparable to Aion or whatever but it got the game past the level of players not being able to have a distinguishable presence in the game.

I really appreciate you guys looking into player feedback, player suggestions, even those online reviews. It is still you guys who get the hard work to keep a clear vision of what the game is and wants to be to make sense of all this feedback and turn it into something applicable and truly enriching to Wurm.

Now about the video, one thing I noticed that I have said before is that a lot of this "what is the idea in this game" is a bit lost. E.g. I've spoken with people who played the game and they are astonished to see how long it took to mine a tunnel and whne they see 100 tiles mined they just extrapolate and think "this is impossible for me". They do not know the idea is that  timers decrease as the player progresses. Another example, not from the video, is how PvP is portrayed as just PvP - this does not tell the player how in fact it's 3 realms fighting each other with both home  servers with a more tame atmosphere and a more perilous central, contested island, where players can even for their own kingdom. A lot of people assume you are just getting  griefed and robbed all the time. This can be about anything like the purpose of the event tab, the idea behind improving your gear for better timers, the idea of player made items as opposed to quest drops, etc.

Some people might be transitioning from completely different MMOs and a simple  technical introduction to Wurm might not be sufficient.

Edited by Idlamn
  • Like 2

I noticed the journal changes are live on the test server, has anyone progressed enough to see what benediction looks like?

i dont know if i only got this because i had an existing test account , i dont get if i make a new one now but in the one i had from before the treasure map testing i see this.

3HFvBSJ.png

looks like they are working in themed journal goals.

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 2

Yep.  I have those. but 1st steps is still first steps, and it leads to Finding the Path, etc all the way to Destinations Unknown.  I know in First steps they added "Pick a Flower" with no other changes.  Just wondering what the other added goals are.  The Basic Training someone said they had 3+ levels (imp tool to 30, imp to 60, imp to 90), but I haven't unlocked any but the basic ones, so haven't seen any of the higher levels.