Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Development Update - May 2022

Just now, Tpikol said:

i dont put hundreds of diferent types of items on the same bsb or fsb, why would you?

Why wouldn't I? I have one FSB for all of my food and still haven't reached the limit of what it can hold yet.

1 minute ago, Tomatoes said:

I sort by quality, rather then what item it is, when I toss things in a bsb/fsb

This also.

1 minute ago, Gwiz said:

Why wouldn't I? I have one FSB for all of my food and still haven't reached the limit of what it can hold yet.

Didn't want to derail this thread or anything, but thought I'd show you the magic of multiple FSBs :P (Or at least what I consider magical when it comes to easily finding the right ingredient)

EK1xylY.png

ya, but then you have a fsb/bsb for every quality type/number, and when you want a specific ql for something, its gets annoying finding the correct object to grab out of.

Quality of ingredients/materials matters for all sorts of things. 

Edit: point was, i would much rather less fsb/bsb's floating around deed if at all possible.

Edited by Tomatoes

7 minutes ago, Tomatoes said:

ya, but then you have a fsb/bsb for every quality type/number, and when you want a specific ql for something, its gets annoying finding the correct object to grab out of.

Quality of ingredients/materials matters for all sorts of things. 

Edit: point was, i would much rather less fsb/bsb's floating around deed if at all possible.

the point is if you want to do that you can, if you want to not have search bars everywhere i cant do that.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tomatoes said:

Why you want to shut off your search/filtering functions is beyond me: i use them all the time. However what adornments? what icons need replacing?

The same reason you use them.

Preference.

And also because I don't need a search bar or icons to find things. That's why I have a sort by name function and why my inventory has inventory groups. That's how I've done it for 10+ years and how I'd like to continue to do so.

• Like 8

On 5/17/2022 at 2:15 PM, Keenan said:

One thing I’ve struggled with since stepping up into the manager role has been determining what we’re going to be doing after this Exploration Update is complete. This is precisely why I’ve yet to release a more in-depth road map. This is not for lack of ideas; we have enough ideas to keep Wurm going for a long time between you all and the development team. It’s a matter of priority and what would be best for the game as a whole. The clear response from that review is that we need to fix what is broken, polish the rougher edges, and focus on the new player experience.

Here's an idea, how about in depth dev diaries like what Paradox does, or basically every other company these days when it comes to online games?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but we have this supposedly massive update coming out in 2 weeks, and yet we know absolutely nothing about it, other than it will include treasure maps we can dig up. Great. Anyone who played on WU will have experienced this, but whatever... 

The lack of communication from the devs is issue number one. And it has always been number one. How many times do we have to say this??

Now sure, you can say "We'll keep you posted and write up a full feature list before release" but that's not adequate for something that is coming out in only two weeks and has been in development for years at this point AND was supposed to come out last year. You give a release date way in advance, you mention what will be included way in advance, and then you start hyping it up over time, give people a chance to take days off from work, perhaps a chance to resub, get things done and prepare, etc... and not just come out and say "Oh yeah by the way it's finally coming out in two weeks guys. Here is what it will include: *crickets*" 

This is why the game has so few players.

I remember Retro saying that he couldn't share details with us about upcoming updates because he wasn't told anything. Why do the devs work in such secrecy for this game? Why, did we never, ever once got any sort of "behind the scenes" update, any videos discussing, or something, anything that detailed how the game is being developed and the mindset of the devs behind it all? Perhaps Josh is wrong. Perhaps the issue isn't where he thinks he is. Perhaps it is in the developers and the poor management that happens behind the scenes and the volunteers. Personally i have 0 hopes for this update. It will be another rushed out, broken, half finished update that somehow, somewhere got shelved because a volunteer stopped working and the others had to step in and quickly slap together something, with more than half of the planned features never making it. Hence the massive delays, and silence surrounding it. And then, when it does get released, we'll be waiting at least half a year for fixes and balances, if they ever come. Just look at the animal husbandry update. How long did people have to wait for fixes? And for what? 

Nothing against you Keenan really, you are trying your best, but at times it feels like you are wasted for something like this. Like no wonder people, including the PR person had a burn out on the dev team. Just look at what happened with Sindusk a few years back.  

Oh and i thought Budda wasn't working for Wurm anymore? Maybe he's just another volunteer again. 

Edited by Pandalet
Moderation edit
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, atazs said:

Here's an idea, how about in depth dev diaries like what Paradox does, or basically every other company these days when it comes to online games?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but we have this supposedly massive update coming out in 2 weeks, and yet we know absolutely nothing about it, other than it will include treasure maps we can dig up. Great. Anyone who played on WU will have experienced this, but whatever... 

The lack of communication from the devs is issue number one. And it has always been number one. How many times do we have to say this??

Now sure, you can say "We'll keep you posted and write up a full feature list before release" but that's not adequate for something that is coming out in only two weeks and has been in development for years at this point AND was supposed to come out last year. You give a release date way in advance, you mention what will be included way in advance, and then you start hyping it up over time, give people a chance to take days off from work, perhaps a chance to resub, get things done and prepare, etc... and not just come out and say "Oh yeah by the way it's finally coming out in two weeks guys. Here is what it will include: *crickets*" 

This is why the game has so few players.

I remember Retro saying that he couldn't share details with us about upcoming updates because he wasn't told anything. Why do the devs work in such secrecy for this game? Why, did we never, ever once got any sort of "behind the scenes" update, any videos discussing, or something, anything that detailed how the game is being developed and the mindset of the devs behind it all? Perhaps Josh is wrong. Perhaps the issue isn't where he thinks he is. Perhaps it is in the developers and the poor management that happens behind the scenes and the volunteers. Personally i have 0 hopes for this update. It will be another rushed out, broken, half finished update that somehow, somewhere got shelved because a volunteer stopped working and the others had to step in and quickly slap together something, with more than half of the planned features never making it. Hence the massive delays, and silence surrounding it. And then, when it does get released, we'll be waiting at least half a year for fixes and balances, if they ever come. Just look at the animal husbandry update. How long did people have to wait for fixes? And for what? 

Oh and i thought Budda wasn't working for Wurm anymore? 

How can you say all this, then point out you havent read that budda returned lol 

• Like 7

Thanks for the info, Keenan. Looking forward to the Exploration Update and all the "back to basics" improvements the team makes after!

9 minutes ago, Archaed said:

How can you say all this, then point out you havent read that budda returned lol 

Ok i'll admit i missed that part from February. 

2 hours ago, Eyesgood said:

Wurm's anniversary is approaching fast.  Please consider opening up the border between NFI and SFI.  More player interaction and more trading opportunities are good things for this sandbox.

yes please  I miss my Southern friends .

3 minutes ago, atazs said:

Ok i'll admit i missed that part from February. 

I also want to say your expectations are too high, you're comparing Paradox Interactive, with 100x more employees than Wurm, to have the resources that Paradox has. 

90% of your complaint boils down to you expect A-AAA standards from an absolutely tiny dev team, they are unrealistic expectations and you need to temper them. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Archaed said:

Honestly the fact that he didn't know that proves his point about communication. While it was announced, it was an after thought on a thread about something completely different.

7 minutes ago, Archaed said:

I also want to say your expectations are too high, you're comparing Paradox Interactive, with 100x more employees than Wurm, to have the resources that Paradox has. 

90% of your complaint boils down to you expect A-AAA standards from an absolutely tiny dev team, they are unrealistic expectations and you need to temper them. 

Just because another team is really good at something that you're not as good at doesn't mean you shouldn't try. The complaint isn't that we don't have perfect communication, it's that there's seemingly no effort being made.

Keenan is doing a better job than before, but considering before you'd get communication maybe once a year, or longer, moving to every couple of months is subjectively better but objectively still bad.

I do not understand the random aggression or questioning of my want for a minimalistic GUI setting. I am not asking for the devs to take anything away from anyone else: I simpy want an option for straight edges around the windows (not that slanted top one with an invisible overlay that's in the screenshots featured in the thread) and for the majority of the information to be printed in text instead of GUI icons. I am not asking for anyone else's preferred GUI to be removed or altered.

• Like 4

I Think it would help if the Devs could add in the options UI toggle options.  like i hate not having body in my inventory window.  so i'm happy as it's a toggle option. the search thingy that i admit never really noticed but can see it useful . could also be made a toggle option.  the more options the better.  also as many have said it would be great if we could remove some hated F key default options.  like disembarking from horse/ cart/wagon  while doing an action like harvest picking ect...  i hate popping off so darn much.  just have the list of those options made available to us to change.

I do love seeing new features coming into the game.  but at the same time we should see fixes and improvements coming more often.   use fix a few things at a time. don't wait 6-12 months.

and again really would love to see the joining of the north and south this summer. and with the new exploration. we could go to all servers. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Aeris said:

I do not understand the random aggression or questioning of my want for a minimalistic GUI setting. I am not asking for the devs to take anything away from anyone else: I simpy want an option for straight edges around the windows (not that slanted top one with an invisible overlay that's in the screenshots featured in the thread) and for the majority of the information to be printed in text instead of GUI icons. I am not asking for anyone else's preferred GUI to be removed or altered.

It's wurm, if someone's not telling you you're wrong, are you really on the forums? 

• Like 4
  • Cat 1

7 minutes ago, Dinant said:

Just because another team is really good at something that you're not as good at doesn't mean you shouldn't try. The complaint isn't that we don't have perfect communication, it's that there's seemingly no effort being made.

Keenan is doing a better job than before, but considering before you'd get communication maybe once a year, or longer, moving to every couple of months is subjectively better but objectively still bad.

See, this is where you have a misconception. 

You are still expecting development to proceed at a pace similar to a larger game. The reason there's time spaces between updates is because that's when there is something to talk about. I'd hazard a guess that very few people understand just how long features take to scope, design, develop, test, and then have something to show for it. 

You expect more communication when there's less to talk about. 

• Like 1

I'm not expecting a single update.

I am expecting communication.

Two completely different things. If nothing is being done there's nothing to talk about, but lots of things are being done. There's constant little updates with no patch notes. If nothing has changed there wasn't a need to download an update.

1 minute ago, Dinant said:

I'm not expecting a single update.

I am expecting communication.

Two completely different things. If nothing is being done there's nothing to talk about, but lots of things are being done. There's constant little updates with no patch notes. If nothing has changed there wasn't a need to download an update.

The only "updates" have been the monthly skins, which included posts about them. 

Again, you're assuming things are happening that arent being communicated, when in reality there's progress and at each stage a post is made. That's the rate of progress. 

The devs aren't hiding things from you, it's okay. 

Why do I have to download a new client with a version number difference if nothing is being changed?

3 minutes ago, Dinant said:

Why do I have to download a new client with a version number difference if nothing is being changed?

Usually it's due to the new skin

New skins happen once a month and usually have a patch note.

Updates without a patch note are three to four times a month.

Just now, Dinant said:

New skins happen once a month and usually have a patch note.

Updates without a patch note are three to four times a month.

THEY ARE NOT UPDATES. 

Again, stop thinking that every time there's a small change that the devs are not communicating something, this is borderline paranoia

Just now, Archaed said:

THEY ARE NOT UPDATES. 

Again, stop thinking that every time there's a small change that the devs are not communicating something, this is borderline paranoia

A change is not an update. We have always been at war with Eastasia.

Mince words however you please, it doesn't invalidate my point.

1 minute ago, Dinant said:

A change is not an update. We have always been at war with Eastasia.

Mince words however you please, it doesn't invalidate my point.

Yes it does. 

The client hasn't been updated in two months, since the last update that - surprise-  came with patch notes!