Keenan

New Client Issues Thread

In an effort to sunset the old UI client we’ve made some changes to the test client to improve performance and get everyone that is currently still using the old UI client for technical reasons over to the new client.

If you are currently using the old UI client, we’d appreciate you loading up the test client and playing around with the new settings to see if the issues you have currently on the live client are fixed or more manageable. If they’re not, please let us know exactly what you’re having issues with, including information on what you’re seeing/getting on the old UI client that you’re not on the test client.

New Settings & Changes:

NewClientSettings.png

Graphics Profiles:

• The settings windows (both the launcher and in-game versions) have been shuffled around to a new layout to support the addition of graphics profiles available on the Graphics tab.
  • There are 5 new graphics profiles that will change settings that impact performance so you don’t have to. These profiles include Minimum, Low, Medium, High and Maximum. The final choice in this option is Custom, which will enable the Custom Graphics tab to change any performance-related settings manually.
  • There are some settings that are changed within these profiles that will require a client restart before taking effect, but since the majority do not you are able to change your graphics profile while the client is running for an immediate change.
  • Selecting these profiles does not change your custom settings at all, so you will be able to switch from Custom to one of the profiles and back with no lost settings.
  • Existing players will default to the Custom profile, while new players will default to the Medium profile.

UI Buffer:

• The majority of UI elements have been shifted to buffered rendering, meaning that they will no longer update every frame, instead only when changed.
  • In addition to this, there is a new setting in the Custom Graphics tab to allow limiting the FPS of the UI independently of the normal game FPS.
  • Enabling this setting should increase overall FPS in most cases, with the downside of the UI feeling less smooth the lower the UI FPS limit is set.
  • Some windows (particularly animated ones) are excluded from this buffer and will update at the normal game FPS.

Other Changes:

• Text rendering should be slightly faster.
  • Disabling reflections and animations will now properly disable them.
  • The in-game browser will no longer load in the background if the Wurmpedia setting is disabled.
  • Terrain detail and tile decoration settings are now editable while in-game.
  • Removed slope info from tile corners and grass info from corners and slopes.
  • Sound settings can now be changed in-game.
  • Like 2

If you are currently using the old UI client,

How do we know? 

we’d appreciate you loading up the test client 

How do we do this?

Just now, Ajala said:

How do we know? 

How do we do this?

To use the Old UI, you'd have to be using the "Choose Client" shortcut of the Wurm Launcher. Also, the old UI version numbers are "4.1.xxx" whereas the newer UI is "4.2.xx"

To use the test client, you would use the Test Client launcher shortcut or the Choose Client shortcut and choose the test client.

1 minute ago, Keenan said:

To use the Old UI, you'd have to be using the "Choose Client" shortcut of the Wurm Launcher. Also, the old UI version numbers are "4.1.xxx" whereas the newer UI is "4.2.xx"

To use the test client, you would use the Test Client launcher shortcut or the Choose Client shortcut and choose the test client.

Thanks.

I would suggest making the Choose Clients a thing on Steam so that people don't have to edit the shortcut just to access the Test Client. Currently the only way to access the Test Client from a Steam account is to create a shortcut and add a -c to the end of the file path. Not everyone is going to be well versed in this and it could help you catch and solve more bugs.

i dont know about others, but for me the reasons i use the old ui is that the new one fill 60% of the my screen with things i dont want and will never use but cant be turned off.

please let us disable the filtering and search bars. if that doesntt change il have to retire with the old UI.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tpikol said:

i dont know about others, but for me the reasons i use the old ui is that the new one fill 60% of the my screen with things i dont want and will never use but cant be turned off.

please let us disable the filtering and search bars. if that doesntt change il have to retire with the old UI.

Would you mind providing a screenshot of your typical view so we can better understand what you mean here?

3 hours ago, Tpikol said:

Not really the case no more. I am the same - don't use new UI due to the fact that the screen gets filled a lot more comparing with the old one. But they been working on the new UI for a while now and with the right settings, font sizes etc you can make pretty the same. The only thing I still don't like on it is  the skill tracker misalignment and that the fight action window is not sizeable as its too big for my liking. 

Old UI

Old-UI.jpg

New UI

New-UI.jpg

i tried showing the same view with the old and new ui so its easy to see the diference

old ui:

Spoiler

5iK3ENC.jpg

new ui:

Spoiler

VkTMsiH.jpg

its like everything takes twice as much space.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

i tried showing the same view with the old and new ui so its easy to see the diference

You can make transparent menus, make a huge difference. Also lower fonts sizes on the new UI.

2 minutes ago, Tpikol said:
  Hide contents

new ui:

Hide contents

VkTMsiH.jpg

I think you have to set your "UI scale" and "UI text scale" in "Text and UI" tab on other  than actual parameters.

4 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

old ui:

Reveal hidden contents

5iK3ENC.jpg

new ui:

Reveal hidden contents

VkTMsiH.jpg

its like everything takes twice as much space.

In settings under the Text & UI tab there are two settings that should help with this if you play around a bit. You can change these while the client is running to fine tune exactly how you want things to look.

LReA2gk.png

I'd recommend starting with dropping your UI Scale down to 90-100 (Maybe lower if you can handle it being smaller), then increasing the Text Scale to make things more readable if needed.

We can't turn off the fight window and have it stay off. The fight window will pop back up every combat. I don't need to see it and I'm not using auto fight. 

The client apparently doesn't support non-square shaped GUI window. The new GUI has a design like a manila file folder with tabs. But the client doesn't actually support this design and the transparent area doesn't support click through to things behind the window.  I'd suggest only using GUI designs that the client supports because otherwise it looks unprofessional.

I agree with others about size of things.  we can't just scale down the UI because then the things inside inventory will be too small. I'd like to see GUI window titles have an option to scale them down.  And an option for GUI window design based on 16x16 simplified icons.

• Like 1

im trying things out,when i tried lowering the scale before the toolbelt "hitbox" (the position of it when you moused over it) didn't scale properly, that seems fixed but i still see some problems.

even with 100 opacity the backgrounds are still not solid, they look like the old ui at 50% opacity, specially the skill tracker and the settings menu background. the background also toggles itself off anytime i log out and i have to toggle it back when i log in.

FV7tQm3.png

this is what the old ui one looks like with 100%

GVCHoim.png

it wont let me move the fight / target window all the way to the right border of the window, it stops when there is still space to the right.(it just wont move further right.) 

omVKP5L.png

the list of names on the chat window cuts off long names. even at 80% scale looks like scaling doesn't affect  how that works.

4mO3Vbq.png

the fps and movement speed numbers are much harder to read:

VERpeI8.png

the scaling down really destroys the toolbelt icons and the compass.(the toolbelt and compass would be fine if they didn't change with the scaling.)

glMi4uY.png

and last for now, there is no way to turn off  the filters for categories and search bars everywhere. i never needed to search for anything or filter any categories but i have to keep bigger windows to make room for those things.

17 minutes ago, joedobo said:

The client apparently doesn't support non-square shaped GUI window. The new GUI has a design like a manila file folder with tabs. But the client doesn't actually support this design and the transparent area doesn't support click through to things behind the window.  I'd suggest only using GUI designs that the client supports because otherwise it looks unprofessional.

I've just taken a look at this and it was just a sizing bug, this will be fixed in the next test client update.

18 minutes ago, joedobo said:

I agree with others about size of things.  we can't just scale down the UI because then the things inside inventory will be too small. I'd like to see GUI window titles have an option to scale them down.  And an option for GUI window design based on 16x16 simplified icons.

The combination of UI Scale and Text Scale options should take care of this issue, see the example below. If you're meaning the icons don't scale with the text scaling, I'll add that to the list to fix. I'm not sure what you mean about a 16x16 design. sorry.

PwKqau7.png

10 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

im trying things out,when i tried lowering the scale before the toolbelt "hitbox" (the position of it when you moused over it) didn't scale properly, that seems fixed but i still see some problems.

Thanks, I'll have a look into these.

6 hours ago, Keenan said:

Existing players will default to the Custom profile, while new players will default to the Medium profile.

The one thing i wish i had a clearer understanding of when selecting options is weather the specific setting is more cpu or gpu bound. some of us have some 'odd' setups, and being able to fine tune things easily/quickly would be cool. Would this be possible as an addition to the ? button next to each option?

Are the themes going to be fixed? Just logged into the test server to check and all three, classic, classic light, and ironwood look identical. They all appear as the new theme which I don't like.

https://imgur.com/a/dzVC7Us

Don't forum enough to know how to insert the images properly.

15 minutes ago, Dinant said:

Are the themes going to be fixed? Just logged into the test server to check and all three, classic, classic light, and ironwood look identical. They all appear as the new theme which I don't like.

https://imgur.com/a/dzVC7Us

Don't forum enough to know how to insert the images properly.

Yes, that'd be my fault messing with the settings window, will be fixed for next test client update.

I think there is a bug that causes focus to stop at lvl 3 (only hotkey can be used to raise it)

I don't know if this still exists, because I only use it when fighting uniques few moths ago, and I happened to my priest who was around 80fs, the eye icon was locked at level 3 and I couldn't click it.

I currently cannot start the test client - either from Choose client or the Test icon - error is:

POPU0QG.png

Tried to run the freshly downloaded installer too - nothing changed.

Normal client works fine.

I'm a bit worried about the new profile presets, I strongly hope "Custom..." will not be cut to allow a single custom preset only, currently I use a bunch of different custom settings depending on the task I used the actual toon/client. For example some have sound off, some are minimalistic in some aspect but set to high settings in another and vica versa. It would be a great hassle to change all the settings all the time, I assume default profiles might be too generic compared to what we are used to.

Edited by Jaz

17 minutes ago, Jaz said:

I currently cannot start the test client - either from Choose client or the Test icon - error is:

POPU0QG.png

Tried to run the freshly downloaded installer too - nothing changed.

Checking on this now.

17 minutes ago, Jaz said:

I'm a bit worried about the new profile presets, I strongly hope "Custom..." will not be cut to allow a single custom preset only, currently I use a bunch of different custom settings depending on the task I used the actual toon/client. For example some have sound off, some are minimalistic in some aspect but set to high settings in another and vica versa. It would be a great hassle to change all the settings all the time, I assume default profiles might be too generic compared to what we are used to.

The new graphics options don't change how the current settings profiles work, so everything will work exactly the same. They are solely for taking care of performance related graphical options automatically so you don't have to worry about them if you don't want to.

• Like 1

Test client should be working again - updated with some fixes for issues discussed here so far.

New/old client and renderer and water transparency, is there any difference to be expected with the renderers?

Just now, Finnn said:

New/old client and renderer and water transparency, is there any difference to be expected with the renderers?

No, the major difference between the two clients is just the UI.

• Like 1