Sign in to follow this  
Seriphina

Let's talk about music again

Yes, we've discussed/suggested musical instruments before multiple times with vague "if we did like LOTRO blah blah blah" while waxing poetically about the Prancing Pony.  Clearly we crave some art to our grind, and a reason for communities to come together. So, I gift you this not vague, thoroughly laid out suggestion for musical instruments and associated skills in Wurm Online. If you're here to just link every other post and say that it's been suggested before, thank you for stopping in, but I'm aware.

To save you from a wall of text, I have broken up the suggestion into several parts and put them in spoilers to keep things looking cleaner.

The Music

xiccOQv.png

Spoiler

To protect the intellectual property of musicians, the first part of my suggestion is likely going to be the least popular. I'm suggesting that the ONLY music that can be learned/played are songs in the Wurm Online Soundtrack catalogue. For 21 of these beautiful creations, see this link:

Music performed solo will be a very basic version of the song based on the instrument you are playing. Adding more players to the group with different instruments makes the song more complex and closer to the original recordings.

I propose that songs can be learned through three methods:  Skill, Discovery, and Exploration.

Skill - These are the songs that you learn as you gain skill in various instruments. New songs are unlocked as you gain music skill. This will be 50% of the music available in the game.

What does this look like in game?

Event message after gaining 20 skill in Music - "You recall a song called "Finger of Fo" that you heard often while growing up and jot down the lyrics and notes on a blank music sheet in your songbook.

Discovery - When playing with others, you can discover new songs together or learn them from someone who has already mastered that song. Much like Lore with cooking, you can discover songs by selecting a player with an activated instrument and choose Music > Songwriting to discover new songs or Music > Mentor to teach them a song they don't know that you previously discovered. This category will make up about 25% of the music catalog.

What does this look like in game?

Event message after successful mentoring - "Now that you've run through the notes a few times, you think you understand how to play 'Familiar Lands' and jot it down on a blank music sheet in your songbook."

Event message after songwriting - "This sounds pretty good! You decide to call this song 'Long Summer' and write it on a music sheet in your songbook."

Exploration - Sometimes when doing archaeology (inside caches), hunting (when looting a humanoid or guard*pvp only), or exploring (spawned like valrei items) you'll find a parchment with some notes scribbled on it about a song. 25% of the songs will only be able to be discovered in this way, and they can not be taught to others using the mentoring mechanic.They can be traded, dropped, and mailed. To learn the song, you must first restore the piece using Restoration skill.

What might this look like in game?

You're in a boat exploring - "You find a waterlogged parchment floating on the water. There is some smearing of the ink but you think you could restore the parchment and learn to play this forgotten tune."

You defeat a troll - "There's a scrap of parchment stuck to the bottom of his foot. The ink is smeared with dirt, but you think you can clean it up and learn the song written here."

You discover a cache - "Lining the bottom of the chest is a small scrap of parchment. The ink has faded with time, but you may be able to restore it and learn this melody."

The Instruments

B3KjBBC.png

Spoiler

First, I'll start by saying that I know there are a TON more instruments out there. We all want the moon and the stars, but this limited selection fits the music suggested above, and keeps things simple enough that we don't need a separate wagon to carry instruments as a traveling musician.

17wejmz.png

Tabor - requires a minimum of 30 leatherworking, created using a small barrel, bowstrings, and leather. Can be played at Music skill 1.

SJKZl9m.png

Nakers - requires a minimum of 30 leatherworking, created using a metal bowl, bowstrings, shafts, and leather. Can be played at Music skill 1.

Small bells - requires blacksmithing to create. We have this now. Can be played at Music skill 1.

Recorder - requires a minimum of 20 toy making and is created and continued with a carving knife on a shaft. Can be played at Music skill 5.

GRcmnzd.png

Buisine - requires 35 jewelcrafting and is created with brass or electrum.

Lute - requires a minimum of 35 fine carpentry, started with a carving knife on a log, then continued with pegs, string, eyelets, and two shafts. Can be played at Music skill 25.

2gIF46X.png

Hammered Dulcimer - requires a minimum of 40 fine carpentry, started with planks, continued with shafts, strings, pegs, and eyelets. Can be played at Music skill 50.

Harp - requires a minimum of 70 fine carpentry, started with a carving knife on a log, continued with shafts, planks, strings, and eyelets.Can be played at music skill 70. Can not be picked up, must be loaded.

The Skills and Non-Instrument Objects

Spoiler

Okay, really this is just one skill. A skill for every instrument would be overwhelming and coding would be a pain, not to mention the havoc of affinities and all of that. For the sake of simplicity, I'm suggesting a single Music skill.

Progression through the music skill would unlock the ability to play new instruments (possibly poorly at first), add vocals into the mix, and allow the player to learn new songs.

Title suggestions:

Bard at 50

Traveling Minstrel at 70

Troubadour at 90

Settings and Mechanics

Spoiler

Some folks may not want to be bombarded by song everywhere they go. Because of this, I would recommend starting with a setting on the profile for silencing player-generated music.

Instruments take damage over time with use, and as such will need to be repaired and upgraded through the various pre-existing skills.

If you have a songbook in your inventory. It works much like the almanac and archaeology journal. Songs automatically appear on a blank music sheet (created with papyrus making) as you learn them through skill, discovery, and mentoring. Music sheets must be at least 25 quality, and require 20 papyrusmaking to create. They are made from paper or papyrus, and a reed pen with ink. They take no damage when stored in a book, though the book may take damage, even outside of player inventory. Music discovered through exploration options are a parchment that must be restored before being added into your songbook. The song pages in your book start at a low level, and are "improved" through practicing your instruments.

To play a solo piece, activate the instrument in your inventory, then right click the song you wish to play and choose Play > Solo, or attempt to improve your skill playing this song by selecting Song > Rehearse

In order to play music together, musicians must first form a team to signify that they are a group of minstrels. This will open up the interactions to play songs together. The group leader would select a song to play from their own songbook. If anyone in the group doesn't know how to play one of the songs, the option for that particular song would be greyed out for that session to indicate it is unavailable to your band. Group members would activate their chosen instrument and right-click the group leader and choose Music > Play together (much like linking for priests, but for a limited period of one song).

Gaining Music skill happens through various music tasks, but like many other skills the greatest improvement happens through improving, or in this case, rehearsing songs. Skill ticks also occur at the end of a piece that is played. Music played in groups has a higher skill potential than solo playing due to a synergy bonus from other musicians.

Though not impacted by speed boosts, Circle of Cunning and Blessing of the Dark work on instruments in the same way as any other tool.

Some of my previous suggestions for fun and bumps:

Edited by Seriphina
  • Like 11

Wow Seri did it again! What a great suggestion! Well thought out, seems pretty much plug-and-play, lol, I mean besides the coding of course. Nice job!

44 minutes ago, DaletheGood said:

Wow Seri did it again! What a great suggestion! Well thought out, seems pretty much plug-and-play, lol, I mean besides the coding of course. Nice job!

Ah, so only the year long work left then! 

An interesting idea for sure 

• Like 1

Every time this topic comes around, I plus one it, because, clearly it's something the masses want :)

+1

• Like 1

Very good and cool suggestion.  I would love a harp ❤

The only issue I have is: You mentioned copyright but there are lots of public domain old style medieval music that could be inserted in place of some of the wurm tracks.

Ah, maybe also another use for training music but also gaining a bit of favor could be playing a song at an altar. The song would be about the god. Could maybe also have a special song that is performed at those giant god statues.

• Like 4

Brilliantly thought out and put together.  This would be wonderful.

On a semi-related note, we should be able to carve out and blow animal horns - maybe these could require no skill to play, but could function for practicing music skill like the dolls for fight skill.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Brilliantly thought out and put together.  This would be wonderful.

On a semi-related note, we should be able to carve out and blow animal horns - maybe these could require no skill to play, but could function for practicing music skill like the dolls for fight skill.

I like this idea! Horns made from horn wouldn't be able to be imped or repaired, except by mend spell, so a good small sink for horns that are sitting in BSBs.

• Like 2

+ 1 Loving this!... bring in the bards.

• Like 3

On 5/16/2022 at 2:57 PM, Seriphina said:

Hide contents

Recorder - requires a minimum of 20 toy making and is created and continued with a carving knife on a shaft. Can be played at Music skill 5.

Recorders aren't toys! Recorder players won't like this : >

I've been  playing project Gorgon and what seems to be suggested there is a similar approach. What seems to be the approach in that game is that there are multiple songs composed for player music, each song has several parts each with a variation for each instrument. All those parts can work together. When someone is playing a part  from a song you cannot play a part from another song. The game Vanguard SoH used something similar in that the soundtrack itself was composed as separate pieces that were mixed together during playtime.

It's a pretty good alternative to LotRO's music system which is rather complex but also allows the most freedom. The result will also be more well polished.

In addition to instruments it would be nice to also have singing so we can sing the Jenn Kellon anthem:

Oh and effects: maybe we should get a skill/skill gain increase after listening to a concerto. Or an increase to fighting efficiency when listening to an anthem.

Edited by Idlamn

On 5/21/2022 at 7:06 PM, Idlamn said:

Recorders aren't toys!

Well, they aren't ONLY, or PRIMARILY toys.  

By this I mean that because of the simple construction, there is very little structural difference between a "toy" recorder and a "real" or maybe "serious" recorder.   The difference is mostly in the material and its quality, and perhaps the method of manufacture (not an issue in Wurm) and possibly the number of pieces in construction.  For contrast think for example of the difference between trumpets, and toy trumpets.

I would love there to be a "whittling" skill, but without that, where would this belong? (Not rhetorical; an actual question).

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 2

I like all of this, but honestly I don't see the need to have a skill for it. Just have something fun people can play for quick little segments. 

I've always wanted instruments in Wurm Online, should have been added long ago. Other games have them, Elderscrolls Online has lute and such but it is automatic, you put a /lute command and it plays. I hope they consider putting this into the game, will make it really interesting and I'd certainly go down and skill for instruments.

So.. basically... make a few keys on screen pop if you equip some tool.. and pressing something and something plays static prerecorded long tune?

I imagined.. actual tools.. and tones and ability to create music on your own

imo for prerecorded things.. we just need a jukebox.. gramophone.. or something like that, pointless to have actual musical tools if there's prerecorded tune to play, you'll only end up making, carrying and storing a few whenever you want to play music

1 thing to consider is... ability to opt-out of all this.. nobody likes donkey-slapping event in local.. imagine what happens if somebody enjoys music but other aren't in the mood but are close enough to be bothered by it solo and sharing tunes will be something to consider, also option to mute players

In the java version of Rising World they have a piano you can play with keyboard keys. If they can do that why can't we have a flute with a few simple notes or different drums each with there own single note based on size and/or wood and hide type? Maybe bells made of different metals that each produce a single note based on metal type and/or size? I would love a revision of the bell tower tones based on metal type. As they are they sound awful. Playable ram and bull horns should definitely be added and maybe unicorn horns too each with their own distinct trumpeting note. *sigh* I know don't hold my breath.

I recall RaiderZ having Lute.. and string tones, only a few.. but some people were able to pull pretty good music from it, that of course required to be not a musical-wreck and to know what the hell you're doing

instruments were just for lols, no skill or anything for them, it was all for RP and lolz while chilling in town and not leveling or doing dungeons and quests

• Like 1

THIS, wait, no, YES, THAT

so... yea..... seems like that had premade melodies also.. but the insruments had tunes.. so players could make their own tune.. even if that was limited and to actual musician.. this could cause some serious harm.. yet... that was gg content for the chill times

what the heck is finn writing... huh..

fine.. this... I guess..

• Like 2

I'm just here to +1 x ∞ infinity this idea. I absolutely love everything you mapped out about all the instruments, mechanics, skilling, etc., Seriphina. I've thought this would be such a cool idea for a while.

Having just stumbled across your post, I have found that you truly are an angel with regard to not only bringing up the concept, but also the angelic way you laid out all these ideas. They all make sense and are very well thought-out. I even love that you have introduced me to a couple of instruments I never knew existed.

One reason for my +1 is that games are a great place to live out things we can never/probably won't do in real life. I am never going to be a real-life archeologist, but I am fascinated by archeology. Wurm lets me do this and have the fun of discovery and creation. Growing up, I always wanted to play some kind of instrument at school, but for reasons, that did not happen. I even dabbled around with guitar as a teen. But music/playing instruments is just not one of my real-life skills. Being able to play a bard in Everquest, RIFT, and in LotRO was really a lot of fun for me because of this. If I could have this experience as Seriphina has laid it out, I would be beyond the moon with giddiness. ❤️🌜

Edited by Moonbeams
  • Like 3

I fully support this idea and would love to see it happen. 

This sounds wonderful  - i wonder if we could incorporate the audience in the mix as well - sorta like the sermon system, that way at higher levels groups of bards can get skill by playing a piece

make 'Practice' and 'Perform' two separate tasks. 

Edited by Tomatoes
  • Like 2