Sign in to follow this  
Ayuna

Lake naming

First, a question - how is it that only one (?) lake on Xanadu is officially named, which is Hammer Lake?

Secondly, what can I do to go about naming the lake that spans I14 through H16? Can this be "officially" done?

There are several lakes on the map that have names attached to them. As I recall you used to live on Shimmer Lake north of Summerholt, and the lake below that is called Lake Woebegone (named by me after I took control of the lake and dredged it out to make it a lake again). There's also Summerholt Lake as well as 4 bays that are named.

Basically, those who live in the area are free to name the lake as they see fit, keeping in mind to take the desires of their neighbors into mind when doing so, as well as obviously adhering to the community guidelines. Just post the name and center coordinates of the lake on the map post and I'll add it. If there are objections from neighbors I'll take the name off until there is a peaceful resolution.

I think Hammer Lake in particular is named that because on the map it looks pretty much like a hammer :)

The names we currently have have are mostly from the early history of Xanadu.

• Like 1

i14 vrock lake, through darq canal to h16 pumpkin lake south of greymead, hammer just cause looks like hammer in west etc

vrock also known as selkie lake

Shamank

Edited by Sage
name

1 hour ago, Sage said:

i14 vrock lake, through darq canal to h16 pumpkin lake south of greymead, hammer just cause looks like hammer in west etc

vrock also known as selkie lake

Shamank

No, F14 is Lake Vrock, I14 is usually called Lake Selkie, some call it The Long Lake as well. Never heard it being called Vrock Lake, it is between Vrock Landing, Linton, Greymead, and even Whitefay, no reason to name it after any starter town.

Hammer Lake seems to be consensus, Pumpkin Lake, why not. The Lake around EFG18? I heard "Lambchop Lake", as the shape resembles a huge axe for slaughtering.

The Lake north of Lake Vrock D14: Running Bear Lake or short Bear Lake due to the shape. The Bay from I9 up to I11 and on: Glasshollow Fyord, no idea whether the EF11 part is named separately.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ekcin said:

No, F14 is Lake Vrock, I14 is usually called Lake Selkie, some call it The Long Lake as well. Never heard it being called Vrock Lake, it is between Vrock Landing, Linton, Greymead, and even Whitefay, no reason to name it after any starter town.

Hammer Lake seems to be consensus, Pumpkin Lake, why not. The Lake around EFG18? I heard "Lambchop Lake", as the shape resembles a huge axe for slaughtering.

The Lake north of Lake Vrock D14: Running Bear Lake or short Bear Lake due to the shape. The Bay from I9 up to I11 and on: Glasshollow Fyord, no idea whether the EF11 part is named separately.

Thanks for this info! My real question, I guess, is why does the community map not reflect these lake names? I only see the Hammer Lake one

The lake around EFG-18 / H19 was called Ageless Lake when I started playing around 6 years ago.

Hence the "Ageless  Tunnel" at E-20.

Thorin :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ayuna said:

Thanks for this info! My real question, I guess, is why does the community map not reflect these lake names? I only see the Hammer Lake one

As Dalethegood who maintains the community map currently (which we are so grateful for) mentioned, over time some may have contended the names and so to maintain the peace they may remain publicly nameless. Alternatively, no one may have officially asked it to have a label placed. 

Edited by Huserx

So, Ayuna, a couple of things to note here. If no one has put in a request to name a particular body of water or other topographical feature via the official map thread ( New Xanadu Community Map ) then I wouldn't have put it in the data for it to show up.  If someone puts in a request to name a feature, and then someone else disputes the naming, I'm going to pull that name off the data until the dispute resolves itself thru a consensus.  However there hasn't been a dispute over naming things in several years, certainly not since we moved over to this new map.

I'm confused a bit as to why you can't see the other lakes and bays that are labeled on the map. There's Shimmer Lake, Lake Woebegone, Summerholt Lake, Summerholt Bay, Mraconia Bay, Surefall Bay, and Jellyfish Bay.

If you or anyone else wants to name a body of water, like those mentioned by Sage and Ekcin above, just drop the name and coords in the Community Map thread linked above.

• Cat 1

I always mentally called the big lake that includes E,F,G 18 Hatchet Lake, as it looks like a hatchet to me.  

Edited by Spacy