Sign in to follow this  
Yaz

Fishing Question

TL;DR: I'm not here to complain or put the game down, I am genuinely enjoying it (i am new to the game), but wow fishing feels exceptionally awful.
-----------------------------------------------------
I made myself a fishing pole with hook, float, and bait. I understand the game is old and its mechanics are shallow and that's totally fine. I don't really care that I need to click, i don't really care that it could then take like 3 minutes to reel in a potential catch. I don't mind that I have to constantly repair my fishing pole. I don't mind that I need to occasionally replace the float, hook, and bait..

But, what I do mind, is that the time investment vs reward is logically not worth doing it for any other reason than completionism.

Is there a reason to do fishing? does it get better? Should I be creating higher quality poles, hooks, etc? I don't understand why anyone would do fishing. I will literally starve to death before i can feed myself.

I understand there are nets and other ways to fish, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking specifically fishing poles. If they are so bad, why do they exist? :P

Again though, i love the game, i got it a few months ago and have had two long spurts of playing now and I'm up to 140 hours in game. I think the game is great, but this is one thing that constantly irritates me in the game.

• Like 4

Its not really worth it, maybe just to finish journal, othe then that its pretty useless.

Put your fishing pole down, go hunt for an houre and you set with food for a long time.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Stinboi said:

Its not really worth it, maybe just to finish journal, othe then that its pretty useless.

Put your fishing pole down, go hunt for an houre and you set with food for a long time.

That alone takes "casual" suffering to around 70 skill, possibly less, but then you run into repetitiveness until you achieve the goals.

Fishing just needs some sort of reason/meaning to be useful.. it requires exceptional level of effort to obtain trash, literally.. you can get more meat than you need for the week with 1-2 kills and no weapon.. just baiting enemy into guard's tower/village templars.. alternatively.. lets save the time.. explaining the amount of skill, actions and so on .. it takes to get what, fish-meat?

• Like 1

If you want to grind fishing close to the old system, ask someone to cast CoC on some fishing nets. Put the nets in your toobelt slots 1, 2 and 3 respectively, activate 1 - fish, 2 -fish, 3-fish. 

Thus you create 3 queued fishing actions taking 3 minutes. You get skill , you don't have to pay attention constantly to bait, or to hit the sweet spot when you see a fish nibbling on the line. 

Yeah there's a fishing journal to catch a 90 kg fish (a marlin). That's pretty much the reward for fishing, doing the journal. Although exploration update might fix that, so you might just be able to skip fishing entirely. 

I'm a veteran player who'd fished alot before the big update that totally changed the fishing system.

Now as it is, I exclusively  fish using a net or fishing spear (spearfishing for larger fish, the net just catches tiny ones but easily and predictably).

One thing I also did was make a settings save for just fishing that did things like turn off surface reflection, amount of graphics clutter for the water view, etc.  I found that makes it alot more easy to spear fish as I can now have a better view when fishing with that graphics set.

If you're just starting out fishing, I highly recommend a fishing net.  It'll give a good source of meats (fish) for simple meals though with a net you generally won't get fish big enough to fillet.  That'll also help get your Fishing skill up so you can use a fishing spear for better chances and eventually a fishing rod if you need to go that route for journal achievements.

Also, fishing nets don't use bait or any other disposables.  They won't break if you make sure your fishing net's kept repaired as well.  Likewise with using a spear, just keep it repaired.

• Like 1

All the prep work for pole fishing can be off putting for a lot of players. When it takes so much time to gather the lines, floats, bait, and hooks that you barely have any time left for fishing then why bother. And it is often a lot of work for little reward since most fish don't tend to have a lot of uses. The majority of fishing I do at this point is net fishing which sadly tends to leave sailing and exploration out of the fishing experience.

10 minutes ago, Katrat said:

. And it is often a lot of work for little reward since most fish don't tend to have a lot of uses. The majority of fishing I do at this point is net fishing which sadly tends to leave sailing and exploration out of the fishing experience

It's been raised by a majority of players that the rewards from fishing are simply not worth it. Most have asked for better rewards from this convoluted system. Maybe the exploration update will take fishing into consideration, finding lost map pieces, or maybe a bottle with a message, who knows...

• Like 1

Fishing isn't awful, it's incomplete. I hope one day the devs will take on the challenge of picking up where Tich left off. I do enjoy it as it is, because I find it relaxing and a nice activity when I want to play a little but don't feel like getting into crafting etc, but I did have a hard time getting into it at the beginning, similar to the new cooking system. It has huge potential to be a fantastic part of the game and there are clear signs that it was meant to be more, it just isn't fully developed. For example, fish display the date they were caught and who caught them, possibly hinting that there was meant to be a way to display fish as trophies but it was never implemented.

6 hours ago, Katrat said:

All the prep work for pole fishing can be off putting for a lot of players. When it takes so much time to gather the lines, floats, bait, and hooks that you barely have any time left for fishing then why bother. And it is often a lot of work for little reward since most fish don't tend to have a lot of uses. The majority of fishing I do at this point is net fishing which sadly tends to leave sailing and exploration out of the fishing experience.

I really wish the tackle box would stop decay on these items, so we can stock it up and just have it ready to go whenever we feel like doing some fishing. I suspect this was meant to be the case, or that those items should have been able to be stored in bulk.

As for the rewards, having a fishing almanac/journal to complete, maybe some achievements, and being able to mount and display nice fish as trophies would go a long way. It might actually help if fish didn't produce quite so much food too. When you can get hundreds of fillets from just a couple of large fish, there's hardly any need to go fishing for food anymore.

• Like 3

Fishing is like most activities in Wurm: skill level matters. At low skill, trying to rod fish (especially using higher-tier reels) will produce the same result as trying to imp a 70-ql pickaxe with 30 blacksmithing or trying to build a caravel with 30 shipbuilding: you will repeatedly fail and get nowhere. Don't try to run before you can walk, as they say.

Is there a reason to pursue fishing to rod-feasible levels? Absolutely. You can very quickly reel in truly silly amounts of meat (whole fish or fish fillets) once you know what you are doing and have optimized your setup. And it takes little active attention, so you can easily fish in one window while doing something else in another. Plus, aside from being a source of fodder for panfilling, some fishies have interesting properties that are useful to chefs. Then there's the subjective matter of enjoyment; rod fishing imho can be a meditative, chill way of passing the time (on a related note, maybe there could be a 'throw back into the water' option?). Those reasons might not be compelling to every player, but nor should they be. Such is Wurm; to each their own.

31 minutes ago, Caolon said:

on a related note, maybe there could be a 'throw back into the water' option?

Love that idea!

13 hours ago, elentari said:

Maybe the exploration update will take fishing into consideration, finding lost map pieces, or maybe a bottle with a message, who knows...

Already in place, there's bottles on test with maps in them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vorticella said:

I suspect this was meant to be the case, or that those items should have been able to be stored in bulk.

I very much doubt it, Tich was pretty anti protection and as far as bulking goes she didn't even want the basic processed foods we can currently bulk to be enabled.

For rod fishing, I found it's best to ignore most of the tackle options and stick with those easy to collect. Thus, I use moss float, fish-bits bait, and bone hooks.  

Net fishing produces too small fish. It's a great way to skill up at first.

Spear fishing requires too much precision clicking for my liking. I want to push a button and wait. Rod fishing is close to this.

Here is a tip. Willow wood reduces usage damage for rod, pole, reel and spear.

Well, for raising fishing skill with net, don't forget you can also use those small fish as well to raise skill further.

Make fishing bait from small fishes. (sardines are not good except very early, roach gives more bits and perch the most, ql also effects the amount of baits produced per fish and therefore the skillgain as well)

Enchanted butcher knife is extremely helpful, but you do get good gains especially at lower levels of fishing skill. And it still works even after 70 skill. Plus sb and maybe caffeine to boost.

You will create lot of baits and they will flood your inventory in few actions. Now I'm not sure if you get skill gain for the discarded pieces in case your inventory is full. For some reason at first try it seemed to me skillgain stopped if inventory was full already, but I'm NOT sure and can't test it right now. IF you do get skillgain even with full inventory wasting the bits, it is very good way to gain skill in case you have thousands or even hundreds of small fish, basically could buy perches and make your way to 90 fishing spending some hours making baits. 

I always made baits next to cart with lot of barrels there and just dropped them in barrels. Those baits work well for deed enchant bonus when you dump altar full and sacrifice. No exact numbers to give now, but I think 100 bait in altar is about as good or better as 20 rock shard. When I did fishing grind on my main to get over 70, I could forget about deeds (plural intentionally) bonus for long time after.

5 hours ago, Nestangol said:

Well, for raising fishing skill with net, don't forget you can also use those small fish as well to raise skill further.

Make fishing bait from small fishes. (sardines are not good except very early, roach gives more bits and perch the most, ql also effects the amount of baits produced per fish and therefore the skillgain as well)

Enchanted butcher knife is extremely helpful, but you do get good gains especially at lower levels of fishing skill. And it still works even after 70 skill. Plus sb and maybe caffeine to boost.

You will create lot of baits and they will flood your inventory in few actions. Now I'm not sure if you get skill gain for the discarded pieces in case your inventory is full. For some reason at first try it seemed to me skillgain stopped if inventory was full already, but I'm NOT sure and can't test it right now. IF you do get skillgain even with full inventory wasting the bits, it is very good way to gain skill in case you have thousands or even hundreds of small fish, basically could buy perches and make your way to 90 fishing spending some hours making baits. 

I always made baits next to cart with lot of barrels there and just dropped them in barrels. Those baits work well for deed enchant bonus when you dump altar full and sacrifice. No exact numbers to give now, but I think 100 bait in altar is about as good or better as 20 rock shard. When I did fishing grind on my main to get over 70, I could forget about deeds (plural intentionally) bonus for long time after.

Good tips to know. I'm at 76 currently but have not been motivated to go through the hassle of pre rod fishing prep to go grind it further with rod fishing. I'm not saying that I don't enjoy the peace and calm of sailing out to a quiet spot and rod fishing when I have the time to. I actually do find it quite relaxing but time is often the issue. Prep time + sail time = little actual fishing time. So now when I get the itch to fish I grab my handy net and go to the deed dock on the lake or head to the canals under the deed and fish away. Granted I only catch little fish that way but trophy fishing is pointless with no displayable trophies to show for it anyway.

15 hours ago, SmeJack said:

I very much doubt it, Tich was pretty anti protection and as far as bulking goes she didn't even want the basic processed foods we can currently bulk to be enabled.

But we can bulk store those items, so she obviously wasn't the only one making these decisions. It can still be the case that the fishing supplies were meant to be bulk stored and it just never happened.

On 5/13/2022 at 10:17 PM, Nestangol said:

To add to my earlier post, I tested making baits with full inventory and my earlier assumption/memory was correct. You get no skill gain for wasted bits. There was very tiny skill gain still, but I discovered it comes from inventory having space for 1 item after you "open" 1 space by making the bait. If you hold fish in container inside your inventory and make bait from there you don't get even that because no space is produced to make the bait and 100% is wasted.

My alt had 46,80 skill in fishing before the test and after making 20 perch into bait while clearing inventory to have space got skill up to 47,01. No sb, no coffee, butchering knife was ql26 (no idea if that was good or bad or meaningless for the result) with woa93 and coc96. No affinity food used and nutrition was only 86 at the time of test. ql of Perch was 52.5 taken from fsb and that made 27 fishing baits per action, so I can also confirm that skill in fishing does not affect amount of bait you get, it is based on ql (which equals weight taken from fsb) of fish used.

In any case, if you wish to grind fishing by making baits, make sure you have way to dump the baits so you can get skill gain.

edited: added underlined the thing I forgot to write, skill gain was less than 0,01 with full inventory wasting 20 perch but as soon as I cleared it to get baits produced, skill gain was the mentioned amount.

Edited by Nestangol
clarification

I'm still waiting for the ability to bulk store rod fishing consumables.

Bait, floats, etc. Everything should be able to be bulk stored, so you don't need to prep for an unreasonably long time every time you want to rod fish, especially if you fish infrequently, like once a week.

Oh, and maybe make the +10% ql gather rune work on fishing equipment. Fishing is supposedly not a gathering skill at the moment but butchering is 🤷

Edited by Borstaskor
  • Like 2

I thought the same when I first started, I thought it was going to be something similar to Life Is Feudal at least.

I did some fishing with the rod but I didn't enjoy it, I will go back to it at some point though. I've heard spear fishing is best to raise your skill first before trying others. I do wish they improved fishing though, I would do it quite regular if so. 

Fishing isn't awful, it's incomplete. I hope one day the devs will take on the challenge of picking up where Tich left off. I do enjoy it as it is, because I find it relaxing and a nice activity when I want to play a little but don't feel like getting into crafting etc, but I did have a hard time getting into it at the beginning, similar to the new cooking system. It has huge potential to be a fantastic part of the game and there are clear signs that it was meant to be more, it just isn't fully developed. For example, fish display the date they were caught and who caught them, possibly hinting that there was meant to be a way to display fish as trophies but it was never implemented.

There was originally a fishing trophy you could make using your biggest catches and somehow display them. Would have been amazing to have a shark hanging on the wall. Unfortunately something went wrong and the only mention in the patch notes is from the hotfix the day after the fishing system was added.

18 December 2018

Bugfix; Removed fishing trophy.