Sign in to follow this  
elentari

Leading only 1 animal & theory crafting

Honestly this is one of the most nonsensical and painful updates I've had to witness. 

For those unaware, a recent patch made it so you can only lead 1 animal on pvp servers. The intuitive (or assigned) explanation would be that leading more than 1 horse in pvp can be considered overpowered if your main mount dies, you just jump on a backup. Despite the fact that leading more than 1 animal gives you a CR penalty, but if you're buff enough that penalty might not be that much.  Having 4 backups would obviously give you an edge. 

I get that and on paper it sounds nice but in practice it seems this hasn't been tested to account for player behaviour, which should be the main thing you're looking at when patching a game.

Here's a scenario I've been struggling with for the past few weeks. 

I am on deed. I breed new horses and have to rearrange them in pens. I can only lead 1 horse at a time on my deed, when there aren't even enemies in my local. This leads to a frustrating situation and I do use "frustrating" as an euphemism here for p**** off, where  I have to make 10 x the trips just to place horses where they are meant to be. In addition to that, if I want to dump a wagon off deed in a lava tile, now I have to take 4 trips to get back my horses . Just why ? 

Also, let's keep in mind there are other animals that aren't even useful in pvp , still can't lead 4 of them. Can I win in pvp if I lead 4 sheep? Or 4 pigs? How about 4 roosters? 4 hens? We can only lead 1 now. For reasons. 

This isn't fun. 

This isn't even remotely rewarding. 

This is just a blanket update to "fix" one problem while creating 10 others.  

Let's theorycraft some potential fixes. 

1. While on deed the limitation of leading 1 animal is removed. This is obviously to remove to pointlessly designed frustration generated by wasting a lot of time for what used to be a simple chore = move animals around. 

2. Related to point 1, even if enemies would be in local near your deed, you should still be able to lead 4 animals, since defenders have natural advantage. Maybe you want to secure a wagon, or move horses to strategic location, doesn't matter, on deed you should have advantage, that's the point of having a deed. 

3. If out of deed, you should be able to lead 4 animals. Really how is any player expected to get a breeding stock by making 20 trips when not too long ago it would've been 5 trips. Good game design should respect players time. Especially when your model is subscription based and players are literally paying for time. 

If an enemy pops your local when off deed, then you're automatically forced to drop 3 animals. That would be a fair trade off. This would also put the enemy at an advantage if you lead too many geared horses into combat and are forced to retreat , potentially leading to a situation where you have to leave horses behind to cut your losses. 

Also if the animals you leave behind are random wild ones, there isn't much loss there. 

4. Allow people to lead 4 animals in pvp but with higher CR penalty that would effectively discourage leading more than 1 animal. 

Can any dev provide some feedback please? Pvp servers are tedious as they are...but this just gives more incentive to say screw it and just focus on playing only freedom. 

Edited by elentari

Wasn't this been added years ago on Epic? I'm not sure that this is a new thing.

There was an issue and they fixed it this way.

And how would the game know which animal to keep and which other 3 to leave behind?

I can imagine it being very annoying when breeding animals but I don't really see a way around it.

1 hour ago, Timoca said:

I can imagine it being very annoying when breeding animals but I don't really see a way around it.

If you're out in the wild and have  4 wild horses, doesn't matter which 3 are abandoned. 

If you go into pvp with 4 backup barded and geared horses then it's on you if you lose 3. 

I just posted ways around it. It can be done. The current situation creates more problems than solves them. 

I don't do pvp so mind you I have no experience with losing mass horses in battle.

My question is if I can lead 4 and everybody can lead 4 where is the imbalance. 

They can bring  geared horses and so can I. 

They have the ability to ride away just as I do.

PVP though has A LOT OF META GAMING that goes on that I hate about pvp and people are always in my experience whining about something or wanting desperately for something to be changed.

I disagree with it in practice and if you did it on PVE the hellfire that would rain down would blot out all the wurmian suns.

Edited by puncher

8 hours ago, puncher said:

-words spaced out weirdly-

If you've not previously experienced how awful it is and don't know why it was added, and your post is just made to try and poorly crap on PvP players without any knowledge yourself, best not to share it.

On 5/10/2022 at 2:58 PM, elentari said:

-good words spaced well-

Honestly up for removing lead limit on deed, given how AH works and will continue to work, no real way around it. I'd rather you just drop the leads done after your initial one when you leave peri or something, just slapping a metric asston of CR nerf onto a person is just gonna make them lead the horses until the fight kicks off and then you've got a load of backups incredibly close by, and then the solution isn't really working anymore.

There's something to be done, I'm sure. I'd say best to make an actual suggestion thread, but then the PvE players will chime in as if they know the issue.