Sign in to follow this  
Rudie

Locked containers on Freedom

On 5/17/2022 at 9:08 PM, puncher said:

No.. leave it alone..if ya don't like clutter make a WU server and have it be as pretty as u want.

This attitude...

On 5/17/2022 at 9:08 PM, puncher said:

Also why are people leaving would be a good question?

Answers this question. 

Lack of accountability. 

I'd just like to say, because I don't recall if I said it

I made my first deed a few months ago, and I was hitting constant roadblocks because of numerous locked things on the perimeter. I'm talking about bloody BEEHIVES. They hid them in oak trees.

Being told a GM wouldn't move them due to them not been on deed is fair, but it means I had to expand to get rid of them to better redo the area.

I think there's something to be done with certain locked containers that can be a headache, or a nuisance. But not just a widespread allowance of lockpicking.

• Like 2

Not in favor at all.

Every time I hear of an instance of unambiguous theft in game, I become that much less sympathetic toward anyone wanting to make off with anything which is not theirs, under any circumstances at all.

I'm actually in favor of any feature or mechanic which would make that more difficult.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Madnath said:

I made my first deed a few months ago, and I was hitting constant roadblocks because of numerous locked things on the perimeter. I'm talking about bloody BEEHIVES. They hid them in oak trees.

Being told a GM wouldn't move them due to them not been on deed is fair, but it means I had to expand to get rid of them to better redo the area.

I think there's something to be done with certain locked containers that can be a headache, or a nuisance. But not just a widespread allowance of lockpicking.

Just curious: Couldn't you deed over a locked beehive? Agreed that such a thing can be a nuisance even withouth that. And hiding it in an oak tree is somewhat vicious (still the annoying messages lead to it). And should be able to be lava'd.

Btw. congrats to first deed
😎

11 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Just curious: Couldn't you deed over a locked beehive? Agreed that such a thing can be a nuisance even withouth that. And hiding it in an oak tree is somewhat vicious (still the annoying messages lead to it). And should be able to be lava'd.

Btw. congrats to first deed
😎

Yeah I already touched on that, was easier to just expand my borders

So, at the risk of repeating something due to not having time to read all 5 pages, the gist of what I understood from the OP was that after a given amount of time things should be lockpickable (is that even a word??)  Some of the arguments I was reading made it sound like as soon as someone logged off for a week, all their stuff would be up for grabs. That was not my take at all.

I also would like to be able to get into locked stuff, and yes, I'm talking things that are obviously abandoned, like in the middle of the wilderness or on pathways that if you squint hard enough, you could see being pathways in a deed.  Things that just sit there until they rot away don't help anyone, and the argument of "what if the original owner comes back?" just don't hold water.  With the time frame I'm thinking, the deed has already fallen, the buildings have already crumbled, everything not nailed down has already been taken and what is there left to come back to?  People that leave for that long "usually" know that if they come back, they are coming back to start over.  Unless they assigned someone to take care of their things, which I know does happen.  It is not fair to assume the world will freeze in time while you are away, to maybe or maybe not rejoin the gaming community. 

This is a game about exploring and adventuring, which includes finding treasure.  It really seems to be counterproductive to make something locked and planted safe from the ravages of the Wurmian world, when the same can't be said for buildings or other feats that people accomplish.  Why can't a bridge be immortal when FlexIDontCare left locked chests in the middle of the forest before rage quitting, to never be seen again, and they will be there until the end of time?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jingerjas said:

left locked chests in the middle of the forest before rage quitting, to never be seen again, and they will be there until the end of time?

They won't be.  The decay mechanics already works.  

• Like 2

I'm not sure if this plays in to the "i want to be able to get a bunch of free woodscraps from abandoned deeds" topic but here's my take on this:

I never, ever lock any of the containers on deed, other than vehicles.

If i stop playing and the deed falls, all the contents, including LMCs can be used by someone else. This has happened multiple times when i had lapses in attendance. No point letting them go to waste and rot, even though i'm 100% sure that i will be back.

However.

This is just my opinion and my approach and we have the facility to allow me to do exactly that. I made those items and i decide that they should be used by someone else if i can't use them.

If the next person sees it differently and they don't want others to use their stuff, despite them not using it either, it is their choice and they can lock the containers.

This system works.

You get what isn't secured from you getting it by the owner.

It's a simple concept and the original owner gets to decide what happens to the items they created/obtained.

Edited by Locath
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, Jingerjas said:

This is a game about exploring and adventuring, which includes finding treasure.  It really seems to be counterproductive to make something locked and planted safe from the ravages of the Wurmian world, when the same can't be said for buildings or other feats that people accomplish.  Why can't a bridge be immortal when FlexIDontCare left locked chests in the middle of the forest before rage quitting, to never be seen again, and they will be there until the end of time?

So here's the thing. That building will decay into nothing. You can't just walk up to a building that's at 95% damage and suddenly own it. You want a building there, you build one when the original is gone.  That bridge is cool and abandoned and you wish it were named for the highway? You can destroy it and replace it, but you don't get to claim it.  Locked chests spill their contents when they decay away. The issue people are having here are the bulk goods they can't have or the shinies with a lock that they're not entitled to because they don't want to put in work to obtain something similar.

Lock = only for me & who I give permissions.

No lock = maybe eventually you'll have a chance to reclaim it from the wilds.

The time and effort I've put into something, if I want to put a lock on it to say I don't want someone to be able to benefit from my work, then that's my right within the system. It's a conscious effort to make and apply a lock. Respect the choice.

Edited by Seriphina
typo
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, Seriphina said:

It's a conscious effort to make and apply a lock. Respect the choice.

Exactly

• Like 3

On 5/24/2022 at 2:39 AM, Jingerjas said:

I think this subject might be taken up right now with exploration.

While loosing stuff is common in a lot of sandbox games, we need to take into account that items in Wurm are much harder to get, then there is people getting caught up with stuff to RL and forgetting. And honestly i never liked the constant maintenance in other games so you don't loose items-even through Wurm has deed/house protection on place. 

I'd like to see lockpicking as a viable skill for an adventurers repertoire. But only in case of fair solution. 

...another idea - what if decayed items become reclaimable through archaeology for those with higher skill? : >

On 5/24/2022 at 3:16 PM, Seriphina said:

The time and effort I've put into something, if I want to put a lock on it to say I don't want someone to be able to benefit from my work, then that's my right within the system. It's a conscious effort to make and apply a lock. Respect the choice.

Isnt every container and wagon/cart now created with a lock? I kinda agree with OP but only on the grounds of there being wagons which were abandoned 8 years ago still there locked. Only thing you can do is expand to get them moved by GM. Imo, if the owner of the item has not logged in a year and its off deed then the item should be somehow unlocked, claimable. For example on my current deed there is plenty of locked beehives. Cant do anything with them.  Go out on in the wild and see tons of bsbs/fsbs with locks. Run along the coast of any server and you see ships that have been there for 3-4 years. Sorry, but after like 365 days if the user has not logged in just make them claimable or salvageable or usable.

• Like 4