Sign in to follow this  
Rudie

Locked containers on Freedom

19 hours ago, Wilczan said:

I have suggested some time ago void mechanic to get rid of abandoned vehicles and boats with ability to reclaim those when owner come back. I think it's a good compromise.

This I think would be the best option to serve both worlds. 

Example : Player A quits the game, doesn't login for 3 months (let's say summer break?). His carts, wagons, ships, go into a void, the void can even be called "The void server" where his items are stored based on his player ID and ownership, should be a decently thing to code. 

Player A comes back after 1 year. He has an option in Manage - Void items - Re summon - Pop up box with all items in the void : ships, wagons, etc. 

This way items don't create trash and players can also get back their stuff. Win win. 

• Like 3

-1 on making anything that is locked on PvE lootable from anyone who does not have the perms to it. If new person joins the game makes a chest and puts a lock on it in the wilderness it should be protected. Not everyone is going to have items on a deed and if a deed does fall said people should not have to worry about their items being stolen real life happens and people do take legitimate breaks from the game outside of their control. There is a solution for those items that can be push/pulled around and that is to push them onto a lava tile and they will poof in about 24 hours.

• Like 3

reading this annoyed me so bad.

1) Just because someone requests lockpicking don't mean you're going to be utterly raided.
2) most of your good stuff is in your house, and I doubt your 70-90ql stone houses are going to be completely decayed in a matter of 3 months even after deed-decay. 
3) I've been gone months at a time, a 30ql stone house off deed lasts a LONG LONG TIME. No excuses.
4) If you're focused on life and have to worry about your wurm items, i think it's time to stay focused on life and let go. complaining your deed might go and someone steals your 60ql logs from an out-side BSB is just sad.

Right now, I see a Supreme Beehive, I want it. I can't load it because it's locked. BUT Also because I don't have 23Body strength. Does it make me a theif because I want to salvage it?? NO IT DONT.
The deed has been long since looted, I can literally move the beehive and everything, it's only fault is being locked. 

Nobody is asking for lockpicking so they can break into your god damned houses, so get over it already. People want to reuse BSBs, FSBs, and other High-skilled containers that are normally locked or require ridiculous skills to make.

Seriously people ITS A GAME NOT YOUR LIFE.

• Like 4

If it's damage is over 80 and it's off deed, I say let it be considered lootable/picklockable. It is going to decay anyways, let us have fun when we explore otherwise what's the point? 

Also like, if your worried about stealing, people literally steal other peoples accounts because they are given access. Players steal from their own villages and alliances, because they were given access. Atleast with the rep system they get caught.

Edited by kaidley
for those worried about stealing.
  • Like 1

i agree with Kaidley's suggestion personally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meyfei said:

People want to reuse BSBs, FSBs, and other High-skilled containers that are normally locked or require ridiculous skills to make.

Almost this entire thread indicates that this is simply not the case.  People want the contents, and in practice the unlocked containers are already left littering the landscape.

• Like 2

I've seen unlocked containers on PVE looted while my friends were only logged off for the night. One was a bsb right next to an off deed building a friend was working on which didn't stop a looter from stealing all the mortar my friend had just spent days making. Locking it changed that! The other was an entire bsb full of 80ql cotton that another friend left by his off deed stables for the use of our locals for healing and such. That too was cleaned out over night and not by any of our locals. Neither were abandoned by the players who were only logged off for the night and FYI both containers were left behind after they were emptied by the thieves. Lock picking would allow this behavior to go unchecked. And don't try to tell me it will not be abused.

Edited by Katrat
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Meyfei said:

1) Just because someone requests lockpicking don't mean you're going to be utterly raided.
2) most of your good stuff is in your house, and I doubt your 70-90ql stone houses are going to be completely decayed in a matter of 3 months even after deed-decay. 
3) I've been gone months at a time, a 30ql stone house off deed lasts a LONG LONG TIME. No excuses.
4) If you're focused on life and have to worry about your wurm items, i think it's time to stay focused on life and let go. complaining your deed might go and someone steals your 60ql logs from an out-side BSB is just sad.

1) It encourages people to go raided after lockpicking in PVE is a thing, then increase the chance for people to get an utterly raid.
2, 3) People place their locked containers outside a house everywhere, they even named their deed something something hoarder on melody. They don't secured items under a house. They secured items by a simple lock.
4) People should consider when they see a the locked container off deed, there is a chance the owner is on hiatus, sleeping, doing daily chores, etc instead of something just let go by the owner. Also consider some people don't play under a deed. 

5 hours ago, kaidley said:

If it's damage is over 80 and it's off deed, I say let it be considered lootable/picklockable. It is going to decay anyways

There is a chance the owner will come back, also the owner might not want people to access it at anytime so they put a lock. There is a chance it's not 100% going to decay anyways. 

7 hours ago, Meyfei said:

reading this annoyed me so bad.

Right now, I see a Supreme Beehive, I want it. I can't load it because it's locked. BUT Also because I don't have 23Body strength. Does it make me a theif because I want to salvage it?? NO IT DONT.
The deed has been long since looted, I can literally move the beehive and everything, it's only fault is being locked. 

Nobody is asking for lockpicking so they can break into your god damned houses, so get over it already. People want to reuse BSBs, FSBs, and other High-skilled containers that are normally locked or require ridiculous skills to make.

Seriously people ITS A GAME NOT YOUR LIFE.

1)  Considering the lengths people go to in order to get around PvE and raid other people's stuff - there is ample reason to expect that PvE lockpicking would be used to utterly raid secured items.  I can't even call it an exploit, because it isn't some off-label exploit of a mechanic; it is using a theft mechanic for, well, theft.  People lock containers because they want their stuff not-stolen - if they are happy for people to take their stuff they can either specify which people in permissions or remove the lock, but it is their choice and nobody else has a right to over-ride that.

2) Not everybody in Wurm is you.  Plenty of people don't have 70-90 ql stone houses, or even deeds for that matter.  The fact is container locking is a mechanic provided so that people can secure their items without having to resort to high q buildings on long-upkeep deeds.

3) If someone locked something away (in a boat, a building or, shock, even a box) then they want it protect and nobody else gets to countermand that.  No excuses.

4)  Wow.  Basically, if real life is keeping you away from your escapist entertainment then other people should feel justified taking your stuff while you are dealing with real drama?  Wow.

If you want a supreme beehive then either make one or buy one.  The one you covet has been locked, so the person who owns it obviously wanted to secure it against someone else taking it.  Does it make you a thief because you want to take it?  Frankly and bluntly, yes. Likewise if you want a high ql container and don't have the skill to make it, put out a WTB.  I don't believe that motivation though, because I have played Wurm.

Seriously, it's a game specifically demarcated between PvE and PvP - if you want to loot stuff, PvP is that way.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

1)  Considering the lengths people go to in order to get around PvE and raid other people's stuff - there is ample reason to expect that PvE lockpicking would be used to utterly raid secured items.  I can't even call it an exploit, because it isn't some off-label exploit of a mechanic; it is using a theft mechanic for, well, theft.  People lock containers because they want their stuff not-stolen - if they are happy for people to take their stuff they can either specify which people in permissions or remove the lock, but it is their choice and nobody else has a right to over-ride that.

2) Not everybody in Wurm is you.  Plenty of people don't have 70-90 ql stone houses, or even deeds for that matter.  The fact is container locking is a mechanic provided so that people can secure their items without having to resort to high q buildings on long-upkeep deeds.

3) If someone locked something away (in a boat, a building or, shock, even a box) then they want it protect and nobody else gets to countermand that.  No excuses.

4)  Wow.  Basically, if real life is keeping you away from your escapist entertainment then other people should feel justified taking your stuff while you are dealing with real drama?  Wow.

If you want a supreme beehive then either make one or buy one.  The one you covet has been locked, so the person who owns it obviously wanted to secure it against someone else taking it.  Does it make you a thief because you want to take it?  Frankly and bluntly, yes. Likewise if you want a high ql container and don't have the skill to make it, put out a WTB.  I don't believe that motivation though, because I have played Wurm.

Seriously, it's a game specifically demarcated between PvE and PvP - if you want to loot stuff, PvP is that way.

1) I do not have a 70ql+ stone house.
2) I AM one of those people who play unDeeded. I know very VERY well what it's like having things out in the open. Know what I do? I Keep it concealed, in my house, or behind a fence.
3) Actually they lock it so people on their deed probably wont take it, which you know- backstabbers and crooks are a thing even amongst alliances and deeds sometimes. But I am sure you'd argue with the wind on what directions right or wrong in this case.
4) I've had important stuff come up in life, I FOUND TIME TO MOVE THINGS. Friends are nice to have eh? One of them let me move all my stuff into a house on his deed for 5+ years damnit. Infact I might not be able to play for a while starting next month. If my stuff decays, well it damn well sucks to be me!

Please refrain from attacking me with your one-sided single-minded mentality. Unlike the cash grab called NFI, The islands we are on are old, stagnant and aged. Almost like hundreds of people left their deeds so they could play on a new account entirely in a fresh environment! So if they, (the devs) so deemed lockpicking be allowed off-deed, that's THEIR choice, and frankly? If they did, I'd damned hope it would be Triple the difficulty to grind it, half the success rates, and require more difficult of a means to utilize it. Perhaps people could be more inclined to actually use high ql locks for a change? New Market in this abandoned land?

But you see, I got attacked here for voicing a concern, as do a few others. I'm annoyed, out right annoyed by this incessant childish mentality that "you're all thieves blah blah blah", I don't care, mute me in game, block me, KOS me. I ain't touching your deed or your trash. I collect BSBs, Shelving units. I cannot justify or speak for others who aimlessly raid anything open and available. If I see a "Free cotton bin" sure I'll take a few pieces, I wont empty the damn thing. I respect the locals, and the generosity that goes around.

But when it comes to "Free game" when i KNOW it's a dead land, thats literally abandoned for well over 7 months, and has long-since been cleaned out? sorry, I'll do as I please there, and clean up the scraps everyone's left behind. Oh, that makes me wonder! Was I supposed to leave the rare auld syne I found in the middle of nowhere on the ground and wait for the owner to log on while someone else grabs it? 😃

If theres something I'd want, and could contact the original owners, I would try! BUT, Keep in mind alot of people moved to NFI! On Independence there is SO MUCH FREE SPACE NOW. if you haven't played here. don't judge! Every island is different, everyone plays different. Get the Old age mentality out of here and look to the future. Things need to change, cause some people would love to move those damned secured BSBs off the yard too(without having to pester GMs). It's not ALL about looting.

P.S: Whats your opinion if you can pick up a locked item? Then what?

Edited by Meyfei
correcting sentence
  • Like 1

Sorry if I was over the top.  I didn't intend it as an attack, so I will apologize for any personal component. with a caveat.  Notice the wording of your earlier post - you started off with stating how annoyed you were. My 2nd and 4th points were mirroring the tone of your corresponding 2nd and 4th points.  So, yes, I can see how you would take those personally; can you see likewise how someone might have taken yours personally?

The thing is that a lot of the pro-lockpicking posts are not about clearing up clutter, and even when they mentioned that it is leavened with "I want".   As to removing clutter, at least two non-picking solutions have been proposed (that don't involve GM intervention).  What would you think of one of those?

As to finding the time to move things, yes that would be best course of action but for some there is no opportunity for that.  I mentioned a neighbour who suffered a dead PC and couldn't get on the game for about 8 months - and would have been thoroughly cleaned out if their stuff wasn't put aside securely for them.

17 hours ago, Meyfei said:

Whats your opinion if you can pick up a locked item? Then what?

I think it is problematic, and a bit of a loophole/pitfall.  My preference if something is locked would be that it also cannot be picked up (unless the owner specified so).  Unlocked carts and wagons are a bit of a problem in that regard, as deed permissions can  lock someone out of a vehicle they are using if they are not the owner.  There are a lot of permissions conflicts.

EDIT:  Actually, if my responding in kind to your post is an attack - what should be made of "incessant childish mentality"?  Or "get over it already"?   See, it is possible for an expression of disagreement, or a contra-argument, to be made without it being an attack.  The fact is your argument is still littered with "I want stuff that someone else locked up" which is exactly why lockpicking shouldn't be permitted on PvE.  "Get it before someone else grabs it" is also not a good reason.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

[picking up locked or secured items]

I think it is problematic, and a bit of a loophole/pitfall.  My preference if something is locked would be that it also cannot be picked up (unless the owner specified so).  Unlocked carts and wagons are a bit of a problem in that regard, as deed permissions can  lock someone out of a vehicle they are using if they are not the owner.  There are a lot of permissions conflicts.

Exactly that. As far as permissions can be overridden, they are amply mis- or abused. Further opportunities would spell further unwanted side effects.

• Like 2

Oh, now i understand why people support lockpicking. It's the history of wurm in SFI created lots of stuffs. NFI might need to deal with this one day too.

2 hours ago, Meyfei said:

Things need to change, cause some people would love to move those damned secured BSBs off the yard too(without having to pester GMs). It's not ALL about looting.

Well, it's true that it's not all about looting. But the lockpicking change decision will lead to a problem in looting mechanic. Can't really change a mechanic for good but also create another problem in this game.
There are probably another way to solve the scraps everyone's left behind, but idk how can lockpicking work without create another problem in PVE.

But I want the woodscraps in the random bsbs I find! 

Seriously though, securing/planting needs looking at regarding how it stays long after the player is gone, if it can be secured, it should be bashable as well. 

Lockpicking, apply the same effect, lock doesn't work below 10ql on containers, vehicles stay owned. 

Absolutely against any lockpicking in PvE beyond the current status. Bashable, maybe, lock not working, against. Would cause too many troubles for newcomers. In summary, -0.66 to -1

• Like 6

8 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

EDIT:  Actually, if my responding in kind to your post is an attack - what should be made of "incessant childish mentality"?  Or "get over it already"?   See, it is possible for an expression of disagreement, or a contra-argument, to be made without it being an attack.  The fact is your argument is still littered with "I want stuff that someone else locked up" which is exactly why lockpicking shouldn't be permitted on PvE.  "Get it before someone else grabs it" is also not a good reason.

"But you see, I got attacked here for voicing a concern, as do a few others. I'm annoyed, out right annoyed by this incessant childish mentality that "you're all thieves blah blah blah","

My meaning was referring to those who point finger and go on a witch hunt before offering a clear vocal reasoning. And at no point was it a direct attack at anyone. The finger pointing and belittling nature is what I was calling incessant childish mentality. The lack of ability to put forward a meaningful conversation, without the need for putting people down.

Yes I understand fully why people do not want lockpicking. I completely get it. And Yes I understand how many people would literally camp out at a deed falling (there's literally a deed near me with 60+ damage on all walls. it's sad to see that, the deed's been there since LONG before I started.) IF lock picking was allowed, people would likely have picked through the fences by now and setup literal camps with their Disposable Deed-dropper at the ready.

But what I think people need to do is be more open minded, stop attacking, stop screaming bloody murder. throw a suggestion. As someone who absolutely abhors the thought of lockpicking- Think on what you fear, what you despise, and question your own views. How would it work in a way YOU would be ok with it? Think about it this way. As I stated; If the devs decided to add it in 2 months, but wanted public feedback. What would you recommend? How would  you "Like to see it done".

Because "I'm gonna quit", dont matter to the devs. They'll just make another cluster in 5 years like they always do and separate it from everyone else for more cash grab profits. Wurm is pretty much dead at this point. So ultimately I don't care what happens to my stuff, or the game.

Edited by Meyfei
More explaining.

Just a quick note to interject here, but "protection" isn't the only reason to put a lock on a storage container.  I recently built several containers and put locks on them specifically to ALLOW ACCESS to someone who was not a member of the deed to have access to said containers.

It is unfortunate that real life can take us away from the game, but at some point the game has to stop holding your hand and protecting your stuff from your inactivity.  The game cannot know that your lack of login activity is due to a pressing life matter and that you'll be back in a few weeks or few months just the same as the game cannot know that you never expect to return.  At some point, something has to give.  The devs have chosen three months to be that point.  After three months of not logging in or visiting a particular server where you have a structure, that structure will start to decay more rapidly.

Vehicles (and many other items) know who owns and/or has constructed them.  If those items are left outside, off-deed, they should also take that accelerated decay after three months like houses.  I've traveled around and see many former deeds, all structures completely gone, but there are FSBs, BSBs, etc. littered all over the place.  That's pretty ridiculous.

Lockpicking is a PvP mechanic; leave it on the PvP servers, unless some NPC villages are introduced where we have to lockpick the containers to access them once we *ahem* persuade the villagers to leave.  Instead, let the locks themselves begin to decay at the three month mark.

Again, it is sad to leave and come back to missing stuff, but you can't expect the game to hold onto your stuff forever.  The devs picked three months, so that should be the base time for all of this conversation.  If that time is too short, petition for it to be changed.  Arguing about it is nonsensical.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zakiah said:

Again, it is sad to leave and come back to missing stuff, but you can't expect the game to hold onto your stuff forever.

Best summary of the topic, but I'am sure it won't be seen this way by the most of pve folks.

Also, in this topic, many times people were pointed to pvp if they "want to steal etc".

I'am playing my whole Wurm time on pvp, and most dramas about lands, items, horses, vehicles, horses, uniques killing I have heard from pve topics.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

I'am playing my whole Wurm time on pvp, and most dramas about lands, items, horses, vehicles, horses, uniques killing I have heard from pve topics.

As someone who for the past 2 years has played both clusters, sadly agree. The threat of the axe tends to keep things civil on pvp. On pve, such lack of a threat causes drama.

Not saying pvp doesn't have its own drama, but usually it's more kingdom related and interpersonal, rather than about items or who abandoned what cart. 

It's a case study of how protectionism (lack of consequences) can also foster douchebag attitudes. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, elentari said:

It's a case study of how protectionism (lack of consequences) can also foster douchebag attitudes. 

I would rather say that this is a case study in prejudice and hypocrisy. As far as I observe, you are more often on "protectionist" Freedom than on Epic or Chaos. Seems you, like most PvP players, enjoy the advantages of "protectionism".

It has been explained more than once why conflicts in PvE tend to escalate into bitter strife more often. It is simply that there is no power hierarchy like in PvP. If a spiteful opponent digs up your perimeter, hacks down trees around your deed you planted for nice view, bashes down and takes (not steals in sense of rules) your lamps, or otherwise makes hell out of your Wurm life, you have no sensible ways to retaliate. You may be 99 FS, and the pestering devil a f2b makeshift alt or noob, it does not help. And GM rightly do not love to interfere into inter player strife, especially as there rarely is a single innocent side.

In PvP, it is a simple matter of power, be it the power of high quality locks, 900 slop tar walls, double reinforced cave tiles, or 99 FS, and according armour and weapons (not to forget 99 channeling battle priests). But introducing PvP with stealing and ganking certainly is no solution in PvE. It does not mean it is bad for PvP. But not only in Wurm, 80-90% of all players vote with their feet for PvE environments. Even Wurm PvP players do most times.

Introducing PvP mechanics like stealing and lockpicking is no sensible solution for PvE.

Edited by Ekcin
typo
  • Like 3

My meaning was referring to those who point finger and go on a witch hunt before offering a clear vocal reasoning.

You are probably going to need to provide some "clear vocal reasoning" yourself for that.  What witch hunt?  The reasons for wanting lockpicking kept out of PvE have been provided repeatedly - in the topic but also many other times significantly pre-dating this topic.  How many more times must they be provided?  Your complaint - the thing that has made you so annoyed - didn't happen.

But what I think people need to do is be more open minded, stop attacking, stop screaming bloody murder. throw a suggestion. As someone who absolutely abhors the thought of lockpicking- Think on what you fear, what you despise, and question your own views. How would it work in a way YOU would be ok with it? Think about it this way. As I stated; If the devs decided to add it in 2 months, but wanted public feedback. What would you recommend? How would  you "Like to see it done".

I literally posted multiple suggestions about this over previous years.  I already linked in this topic my much earlier suggestion about a mechanism.  Others have done likewise.   There are, in this thread, at least 2 specific mechanisms proposed which have been largely ignored in favour of the repeated (can I say "childish" too, or is it an attack when I do it?) "I want to take ... "   In fact I pointed them out to you and asked what you think of them, but you have instead ignored them and said "throw a suggestion" as if they don't exist.  

Because "I'm gonna quit", dont matter to the devs.

Well, fortunately that isn't generally what most here have been saying.  That man seems to be made out of straw.

So ultimately I don't care what happens to my stuff, or the game.

Okay.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 2

In order to solve the problem of items being left in the game world, untouched, for a long time, I think we first need to understand the problem. 

(Opinions vary as to whether old / disused /decaying items in the world are actually depressing signs of abandonment, or a confirmation that players were once here and created things. Such arguments may be worth having in their own right — but it's difficult to see them leading to any conclusions relevant to this topic other than, either, that these items are indeed problematic, or that they're not.)

Assuming for the moment that it is indeed a problem: What exactly is the problem?

• If it is clutter, then a solution should be proposed that directly addresses this. For example: removal of "clutter" items to a void space or limbo from which the original owner may reclaim them, either at their initial location or from another place such as a starter town. This wouldn't be much additional work for the server, and it would be considerably less for the client, because the items in question would not need to be displayed nor interacted with.
  • If it is that the containers are going unused, then a solution should be proposed that directly addresses this. For example: the large number of unlocked containers that are already lying around in the world should be picked up and used. Alternatively, the large number of trees and iron veins in the world should be used to create new containers. (If this seems like a strange counterargument, it is because I consider this to be a strange argument in the first place.)
  • If it is that decay leads to useful things going to waste, then a solution should be proposed that directly addresses this. For example: when a container is destroyed by decay, its contents are not destroyed, but are instead moved into some form of limbo, from which they may be recycled or recovered by players who have proven themselves worthy. (The exact process for demonstrating worthiness is beyond the scope of this post, but it should probably be more involved than finding a container and picking a lock.)
  • If it is that avaricious players get upset when they see things that don't belong to them, well, PvP is always available. It does, of course, offer the possibility that other players might take your stuff. But that's only fair.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Ekcin said:

I would rather say that this is a case study in prejudice and hypocrisy. As far as I observe, you are more often on "protectionist" Freedom than on Epic or Chaos. Seems you, like most PvP players, enjoy the advantages of "protectionism".

I usually play 60 / 40  for  Freedom / Epic. And the reason isn't protectionism. The reason is how skillgain is copied. Everything I earn on freedom is copied to Epic. Everything earned on Epic is not copied back.  I play Epic because I invested a lot of years in that server cluster and still enjoy my little home I built there. And I understand why everyone left it, due to this unfair skill copy system. 

In any case, I always supported "quick destroy" options in Wurm for abandoned stuff. It's trash. Wurm protects a lot of abandoned trash and I have always hated that. Not to mention dumb mechanics like a player planting a locked bsb with 3 woodscraps in it close to your deed perimeter then leaving the game forever. And honestly pestering people to spam lava doesn't seem like a good mechanic, it's just a bandaid for a larger problem.

Wilczan's "void" suggestion probably is the best so far concerning abandoned things. 

10 hours ago, Zakiah said:

Again, it is sad to leave and come back to missing stuff, but you can't expect the game to hold onto your stuff forever.

I don't think either the people on PVE and PVP expect their items gonna last forever. 

One thing can see is that items on PVE can be last longer than their life time if they put their deed upkeep into 200 years. Nothing people can do if the game still stand after 200 years. 
On PVP instead, people can drain other people's deed upkeep, and loot all the stuff with a method. 

One thing PVE people are expecting is, if they put a lock on a BSB, they expect no one can access the items inside it and will decay by natural as default. Not something called expect ur stuff last forever.
I expect the PVP people doesn't like it because they can't drain the BSB or any methods to loot the stuff. Nothing people can do if the lock is there for now. 

Edited by Coach
  • Like 4

No.. leave it alone..if ya don't like clutter make a WU server and have it be as pretty as u want.
N0.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.  
Tutorial takes waayyyy higher precedence then clutter fix that first.
Also why are people leaving would be a good question?
Really comes off as somebody who just wants to raid and get stuff and cares not for the wurm community as a whole.

NO..

• Like 4