Sign in to follow this  
baseema

NFI vs SFI which to choose?

I’m thinking of starting on NFI. Anyone have any good words to say about NFI vs SFI?  Thx.

Edited by baseema

Either way its the same game. Same people sharking the market on NFI that are on SFI. Just depends if you want a "fresher" feel, if that's the case go NFI. If you like to explore and see a bunch of maps and plenty of opportunity to see cool stuff, SFI is your place. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, baseema said:

I came back to SFI but now I’m thinking of starting fresh on NFI. Anyone have any good words to say about NFI vs SFI?  Thx.

I am no longer sure if this is a genuine question or a hand-grenade.

No offense is intended, it is just that this is a perennial argument that seems to have only recently cooled off to a simmer.

Honestly at this point I can only really suggest trying what I tried.  Start a fresh character in NFI and run them in parallel for a little while and see which way you lean.

EDIT:  There have been many calls since the launch of NFI for basic information about the clusters and servers so people can make an informed choice.  I don't think we have seen anything yet.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

It definitely was not mean to be a hand grenade question. 

Besides the market are people friendly? is player turnover higher? is there more free and untouched land? is there an advantage to using steam? do sfi players just make new toons on nfi for the fun of it or are there actually new faces and names? That's what I'm asking about. 

There are great and crazy af people on both sides, there are new and old people on both sides, theres free and untouched lands on both sides.

Using steam really just takes away some money from the game if you care about that.

Some people think that people are mostly lower skilled on nfi because it's new but that's not really the case either since people waste less of their time by making informed skilling choices these days and there seems to be some strong arming meta to change religion for every rite to get sleep bonus.

There's not really any pros or cons either way it's just the same ol same ol no matter which you decide which probably means better to save your money and stay where you are. 😶

Edited by SmeJack
Bad editing

1 hour ago, TheTrickster said:

I am no longer sure if this is a genuine question or a hand-grenade.

Depends on how people answer the question, this is such a hot topic.

As long as they separate the SFI and NFI, this comparison is unavoidable. The new players and returners should know the differences if they ask.

The SFI PVP(Chaos server) affect PVE(sailing) more than the NFI PVP(Defiance server) affect PVE(portal). Because of sailing VS portal mechanic. NFI PVE prevent items transfer from PVP but SFI allow items transfer.

I would say the mechanic of NFI is more PVE friendly and SFI is more PVP friendly. So its two different mechanics which attract people with different interests. 

SFI PVE, SFI PVP, NFI PVE, NFI PVP are four different mechanics. More info in wurmpedia if u are interested.

On 4/26/2022 at 9:23 PM, Keenan said:

disparity in the code base making NFI and SFI currently incompatible with each other.

So the codes are simplify and improved in NFI? Learned from the mistakes in wurm history. 

Economic market and people will change from time to time, but the mechanic they stay strong. The SFI and NFI mechanics possibly won't change anytime soon, but not never i believe. 

Edited by Coach

Smejack, you probably already knew and just mixed it up in your post, but Southern Freedom Isles (SFI) is the old cluster, and Northern Freedom Isles (NFI) is the newer cluster that's been around over a year and a half now.

For others,

If you're a player that wants to get coins from the market, NFI is probably the one for you as SFI has more years of crafting with prices lower due to a lower demands.

If you like to see great works and terraformed structures and architectures, SFI is probably good for you as some of those player designs have been around for years.

Exploring?  Well, both have already had their shares of players exploring unclaimed areas.  SFI has a larger area of land, but NFI is newer and so more of a chance of acreage undeveloped.

The % of players that are long-term veterans tends to be higher on SFI than NFI, but that's not really a measure of friendliness more just whether they're established or not.

Some of those established SFI players did create new characters on NFI (myself one of them), and so that aspect generally won't be as different between the two as you might think.

Don't expect any chance to travel/mail/visit the other cluster from where your character is as devs have stated they've made changes between the two so they're incompatible at the moment.

My desire is they'll see having incompatible clusters leads to greater future hardship and will make changes so they'll be compatible and able to be linked, but that's just my hope.

As for Steam client or not, my personal choice is to remain with the standalone client. I don't wish to be dependant on a third-party to play.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, baseema said:

do sfi players just make new toons on nfi for the fun of it or are there actually new faces and names?

The Steam launch of NFI was a huge succes with higher player numbers than ever seen in Wurm before (like 1500 online at the same time on Harmony). 

Most of them left soon of course, but nevertheless, the remaining population of NFI is quite different from the population on SFI. In my experience, most players you talk to have still never seen SFI, they've never heard of PMK wagons or banners, player gods etc. Since PMK and the whole server histories are not found on NFI, it's a little more dull IMO.

The plus side, as mentioned, is that economy on NFI is leagues better. You can/could pay your subscription by doing any choice of profession really.

Edited by CistaCista

Thank you for the honest answers. I appreciate it.

On 5/6/2022 at 8:06 PM, baseema said:

I came back to SFI but now I’m thinking of starting fresh on NFI. Anyone have any good words to say about NFI vs SFI?  Thx.

nfi still have higher prices.. starting there will cost you more; better market prices doesn't necessarily mean you'll make a buck with ease

best check server online count and decide if you want more or less people for w/e social/trading, don't think we have a sfi/nfi online counter, you'll have to do the math on your own

I think it depends a lot on your playstyle.  If you are a grinder, min/max player NFI is the place to be.  The downside for most is that players gouge with high prices and most fun events like slayings are controlled by a small cartel of greedy players, keeping 99% of the population on the outside looking in.  The landscape on NFI is quite different as well, much more boring compared to SFI, imho.  If you enjoy a fun, casual playstyle I would stay on SFI.  I think both clusters are pretty close in population these days. 

Edited by Tukodama
  • Like 1

The "better economy" on NFI is a question whether you are on the buyer, or on the (best already high skilled) seller side. Though prices are not as extremely high as they used to be short after the start of NFI, they are still pretty much higher than on SFI where more experienced players frequently give away good stuff for free, and generally prices, except for max quality stuff, are fairly low. But there are also friendly and helpful players on NFI certainly. 

As to population, SFI had more most of spring, now both are fairly even. Overall player count is stable for nearly a year, and player count decline on NFI has stopped.  That of course means that the same number of players on NFI is on 3 servers vs. 8 servers on SFI, where one of them, Xanadu, has more surface area than all NFI servers together. So the chance to meet more people at one spot is certainly better on NFI.

Also from SFI, the widely deserted 4 server PvP cluster of Epic can be reached by portal (like the PvP server Defiance on NFI), breathtaking landscapes, creatures not seen anywhere else, and a special skill gain mechanic (curve).  The other PvP server of Freedom, Chaos (formerly Wild), is connected to SFI PvE, you may just sail over there (at your own risk ;) ) .

You will need to dig less dirt to sell to pay for upkeep and premium on NFI compared to SFI. The price of 1k dirt sells for around 2s on NFI compared to 1s (i think? Correct me if I'm wrong, sfi:ers).

As everyone already told you, all the prices are higher on NFI. This is for more or less everything player traded, not just dirt.

If you're a new free to play player, you might want to keep in mind that you'll need to do less (bulk) work to stay free to play on NFI (1 month of prem is 10 silver no matter NFI or SFI)

If you want to buy a bunch of coin to propel yourself, you'll get more value out of every silver on SFI.

Edited by Borstaskor
  • Like 3

Yes, thanks for that remark, Borstaskor. Also, support beams, as a reliable source for some silver, will certainly bring better income on NFI. On the other hand, if you forage and botanize, or hunt, bury, and sell stuff to the settlement tokens to get some coins, you get ways less purchasing power through those activities. 

The cost of silver in the shop is the same on NFI and SFI. Likewise, the cost of premium time, deed upkeep, and rewards are the same.

Which cluster is "cheaper" or "more lucrative" depends on whether you're an unskilled worker, a grinding min/max smith or priest, or a whale looking to buy everything.

SFI has more islands, more unique creatures, more rift battles, more abandoned deeds, more ways to get to PvP.

NFI has terrain generated with (I would say) a more mature and realistic touch. Currently this last opinion is the one that persuades me to stay on NFI.

• Like 1

If you don't wanna "make some money" by playing 16 hours a day, making bulk, or labor or that kind of boring stuff and just wanna focus on your skills, build your deed and do your thing, then SFI is better choice because your 100 euros you buy silvers from the wurm shop is worth more on SFI. Grinder tool sat probably way cheaper, armor and weapon set too. Also, more servers on SFI means more rifts and unique opportunity and more mobs to kill, if that's your thing. Otherwise, go NFI, i guess.

Edited by Tor

Also, if you wanna make new account, better do it on steam if you care to get first two month for a price of one. From the wurm shop you don't have that option for new players/accounts.

2 hours ago, Tor said:

Also, if you wanna make new account, better do it on steam if you care to get first two month for a price of one. From the wurm shop you don't have that option for new players/accounts.

Thats wrong, you get the exact same offer through Wurm Shop.

Regarding NFI vs SFI i dont think it matter mutch anymore.

20 minutes ago, Stinboi said:

Thats wrong, you get the exact same offer through Wurm Shop.

Regarding NFI vs SFI i dont think it matter mutch anymore.

Which part is wrong?

Spoiler

f27285e4177d86a5f8b804c489dfbf87.png

2fdf4ea815c16c6c917778e992f63d4e.png

d0655405d8ec86fc5952e4c54244c92e.png

I would like to get that clarified by the team: Is the 2 months for 7.99€ first time for steam only, or is it only not mentioned in the web shop?

That screenshot shows a tab called bundles that may be what you need to click? I understand that Paypal should offer those new player packs while Xsolla never did. I recently got premium for the first time on an alt and though I don't remember the exact process I did get the new player pack offer. Sorry, not an official answer just my own experience.

Update: I just tested with a couple of 'care for' alts that I have not got premium on yet, and nope, no new player offers showing, all normal prices. 

Edited by Tilda
new info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tor said:

Which part is wrong?

Reveal hidden contents

f27285e4177d86a5f8b804c489dfbf87.png

2fdf4ea815c16c6c917778e992f63d4e.png

d0655405d8ec86fc5952e4c54244c92e.png

Is that screenshot for a new toon? I got 2 month for the price of 1 a year ago, dissapeared after i bought it once

Edited by Stinboi

29 minutes ago, Stinboi said:

Is that screenshot for a new toon? I got 2 month for the price of 1 a year ago, dissapeared after i bought it once

I got it too, 2 years ago or so, but i am talking about right now, like hour ago or so.

I just tried with both payment methods on a never premed f2p, and none offers the 2 months for 7.99€ starter package. I would like the team to confirm whether that is intended, and whether the package can or cannot be purchased with ingame currency.

My impression is, though, that it is more an omission when reorganizing the shop.

Edit: After reviewing removed remark about legal concerns. Still such intransparent pricing raises some suspicion about consumer protection guidelines. And it is hard to understand that the web shop, the profits of which go to the company in full without "tax" from Valve, should be worse off especially without notice.

Edited by Ekcin

Probably late posting here as you have already chosen but NFI is more active I think with more of an economy.

I went for NFI (cadence) but beware there are certain people who want to cause grief to others and operate in groups that exclude people. (the boys club) Personally I think this is the wrong approach in this game as we should all be included in everything.

If I could go back and keep my skills now I would choose SFI, it seems more relaxed and less drama. It is a good game to play so I hope you are happy wherever you choose to go and happy wurming.

• Like 3