Sign in to follow this  
Breezzy

Small wood builds rot quicker when abandoned

Have a 1x1 shed between my two deeds on my perimeter that has been abandoned. I've been there almost 2 months and it is at only 30 percent damage. I want to put my deeds together into one large deed. This is entirely too slow! I've advertised for the owner if still playing to take it down for silver. He/she has never been back. Being it's only 1x1 it is a starter, left behind shed. I've made a forum post. I've done everything possible to find said person if he/she still plays. Because this is rotting too slow, I have to wait, from my calculations up to 6 months to make a full deed? This is much too long.

Edited by Breezzy

Hello Breezzy :)

My wife and I deeded a small deed on Melody back in March 21, we expanded a huge perimeter over the top of 20 abandoned buildings, some wood, some stone, they took close to the same amount of time to all vanish, I hate to say this, but in total, it took 7 months for them to go :(

I wish you all the best and hope it happens faster for you!

Valliance

• Like 1

I think this process needs to be sped up. If this person even came back he couldn't deed it, fix it, or anything else. It's super annoying, It's an area that I could use for animals.

This is already the case, the player has to be off the server for a certain amount of time and accelerated decay kicks in. 

If they've been on the server, it's not considered abandoned 

Yeah, after 90 days of them not logging into the server, the decay rate rapidly increases for those buildings. But, if they log in on the server for even a minute, that 90 day counter resets. Unfortunately, not every player reads the forums, in fact I'd guess that the majority don't - at least not regularly. Might try chatting in your Freedom chat or even GL-Freedom to see if anyone knows that person and can get a message to them.

With regard to your suggestion, I'm kinda on the fence about it. I'd like my buildings to stand for awhile if something were to happen to cause me to not be able to log in, on the other hand I understand your frustration. You could build yourself some stables, with enchanted grass inside, to house your animals in the perimeter. The bonus there is that they then don't count against your animal ratio on either deed. Also, if you don't want stables, you could make very strong fences and move your lesser animals (cows, sheeps, pigs, etc) out there. Just a thought.

how about this. if after 90 days of the player not logging in then you can use your steel and flint to set fire to the wooden homes walls.  then it can be gone in a blaze of glory.

since wooden sheds are common in game and can also clutter up the lands.  give a nice and simple way to burn them to the ground.  

Edited by BoulderDash
  • Like 1

Just now, BoulderDash said:

how about this. if after 90 days of the player not logging in then you can use your steel and flint to set fire to the wooden homes walls.  then it can be gone in a blaze of glory.

since wooden sheds are common in game and can also clutter up the lands.  give a nice and simple way to burn them to the ground.  

uh, NO

5 minutes ago, DaletheGood said:

Because I don't want that mechanic in the game.

oh ok

Just now, BoulderDash said:

oh ok

Too much potential for abuse, and that's really a slippery slope as the next thing people would probably want is some mechanism for taking down stone houses and walls.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

Too much potential for abuse, and that's really a slippery slope as the next thing people would probably want is some mechanism for taking down stone houses and walls.

Thats a good idea, +1 for dynamiting abandoned stone houses

• Like 1

I think the recent rule of 90 days til accelerated decay snaps in is fair. From that moment on it is less than a week in perimeter, and around 2 weeks off deed until the structure turns to dust.  I know well how painful it is to wait for months with the building decaying first by 0.01 per day then slowly speeding up a bit, with the first full 1 taking nearly a month (observed on a ql75 stone structure).

On the other hand, this is for protection of squatters and new settlers who cannot just be chased off by deed owners. It is a fragile equilibrium, worst during deed and territory spats. Yet I do not see a point in tilting it.

The devs decided against structure owner or maker identities to be visible. There certainly are legitimate reasons for, yet I would have wished sometimes to be able to contact the creators.

• Like 2

Abandoned meaning, nobody has been near it in over 2 months. It' is only still at 35 percent damage. I reached out to everyone, forums, everywhere. It's on my perimeter and stopping me from expansion that I need. It is literally 1x1. 😕 

Edited by Breezzy

it will go away eventually Breezzy unlike the stupid stone 1x1 in the perimeter of our deed that has not gained any damge in the 5 months the person set it up to block our expansion (2 days before we had the cash to expand too >.< ) and they have yet to do anything with the area that they took over

Well still there and only at 48 percent damage now. sigh

-1 Waiting for the 90 days off server is not unfair, admittedly it can be unnerving. But once that time is over, the buildings go in about a week.

What I do not understand, is that buildings do not hold the name of the creator. I would see no harm in that for the creators, founding a structure causes some responsibility. But it was a conscient decision of the devs and GM to hide it. I would like much an "official" comment about the reasons.

• Like 2

I must be spoiled by the expanse of Xanandu but are there no building free spots to plop a deed on anymore?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Katrat said:

I must be spoiled by the expanse of Xanandu but are there no building free spots to plop a deed on anymore?

That's what I'm wondering. I'm still very much opposed to this whole idea. This game is slow-paced enough that if you stick with it, all the buildings off-deed will decay. It took a year or so, but buildings that were cluttering up my view near Summerholt eventually decayed, and I'm pretty sure they never got that increased decay as the owner rarely was offline for more than 90 days.

• Like 1

I've always wanted the owner of a building to be listed when you examine the wall.

I don't see a reason for this not to be displayed. Well not any reason that isn't I built a house and I don't want anyone to know it's me. Which normally means they are up to no good 😛

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 3:20 AM, Ekcin said:

-1 Waiting for the 90 days off server is not unfair, admittedly it can be unnerving. But once that time is over, the buildings go in about a week.

What I do not understand, is that buildings do not hold the name of the creator. I would see no harm in that for the creators, founding a structure causes some responsibility. But it was a conscient decision of the devs and GM to hide it. I would like much an "official" comment about the reasons.

I literally put my name on my buildings. lol I mean why not?

4 hours ago, Ohana said:

I've always wanted the owner of a building to be listed when you examine the wall.

I don't see a reason for this not to be displayed. Well not any reason that isn't I built a house and I don't want anyone to know it's me. Which normally means they are up to no good 😛

It does make you wonder.

19 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

That's what I'm wondering. I'm still very much opposed to this whole idea. This game is slow-paced enough that if you stick with it, all the buildings off-deed will decay. It took a year or so, but buildings that were cluttering up my view near Summerholt eventually decayed, and I'm pretty sure they never got that increased decay as the owner rarely was offline for more than 90 days.

When our nearest neighbor left we had no problem waiting for the decay to do it's thing before we utilized the space. In fact we even waited a while after it was all gone just to be sure since he had a habit of taking long breaks from wurm.

• Like 1

I think undeeded structures that are in the perimeter of another deed (the extra 5 tile border on top of the deed) should decay faster than what it is right now, regardless of material. That being said, there are times that players do take hiatuses from time to time in this game and neglect to top up sufficient silver to maintain upkeep, so that can backfire.

I would suppose having structures have increased decay time when they fulfill the above requirement and are smaller, so 1*1*1 buildings decay significantly faster than say a 3*3*2 (W*L*H), and when they are on a deed border (maybe 2 weeks?). Still, abusers can simply build a bigger wooden building to work around that which can, again, be attempted to be mitigated based on materials used (higher ql = slower decay). At the end of the day, I think any building that isn't within deed but in another deed's border causing people to be unable to expand should expire faster. Faced a problem where this stone building where the deed owner has left for better lands just sat there at <1DMG after 2 months... we left shortly after to another place but we really wanted to take the land that the building obstructed us from. Ended up just getting one of the villagers to just deed the land eventually, but it's just unnecessary additional costs after all.

• Like 1

Ya know, I've just kind of given up. The one wall just hit 60 after about 4-5 months, heck idk. It moves about 1 a day. I'm looking at 40 more days for this thing to fall and me be able to make a full deed instead of two. It's bugged or something. Losing money sitting there. but hey

On 6/27/2022 at 2:39 PM, Katrat said:

I literally put my name on my buildings. lol I mean why not?

It does make you wonder.

When our nearest neighbor left we had no problem waiting for the decay to do it's thing before we utilized the space. In fact we even waited a while after it was all gone just to be sure since he had a habit of taking long breaks from wurm.

Which is fine if it was a prem player and not a 1x1 shed with nothing else.