Sign in to follow this  
Stanlee

No more rift bumps

The arrival of the forces of Jackal was impressive - the ground shook so hard the trees fell and the earth shifted, their strange arrival heralded with crystals and tundra.

The earth shifting is what remains the longest. You get small pits like this

0bea54814ff3960b7812965eae2d0dc1.jpg

and mountainous molehills like this
e37c8f9dea696f5d515833be6d6eb276.jpg

Seemingly pits/hills of 5-20 dirt, a few shifts every rift.

But

It's been adding up, hasn't it?

October 2016 to be exact, and if rifts have been happening every 9 days, most SFI servers have seen over 200 rifts!

And in some places the damage is truly apparent: look at this slice of map from 2016 Pristine

76d85ecb14ff28db1bbf2af421e3e2b2.png

Looks like they had a couple rifts there - you can see the dirt spots it leaves behind.

Here's that same area now

4d2454f369b09be5a3ce007fdd6d9436.png

Bonus if you can use this to figure out of some of the rift spawning rules.

Each one of those dirts represents a change in terrain height also. One of those pits or one of those rises, sometimes multiple hit the same spot. Some tiles out there threaten to be so steep you can't ride on them any more. The area commands imagery of teeth as you ride across it.

One of Wurm's greatest features is the beautiful terrain it conjures, but this is a "feature" which makes the servers slowly grow uglier. Perhaps it was thought originally that this would be something the players would clean, but it's become increasingly obvious this is not so. Please consider a removal or rework of this.

• Like 18

Definite +1 from me.

Us players are really good at changing the terrain ourselves (for better or for worse). We don't need the rifts to do it for us!

• Like 1

oh, didn't realize they do that. that's not good. +1 on getting that stopped

At the very least I'd like to know what the devs had in mind with terrain being modified.

Yesterday, after the Xanadu rift, I removed the dirt traces I had planted myself to mark the way to the rift in the desert, and also renaturated a few (most but not all) of the dirt patches from a previous rift. Frankly spoken, I was not overworked by it (yet bit tired from the fight so did not perfectionize the task).

Generally spoken, the spikes and holes are not dramatic, but an annoyance anyway. It would be good for them to stop. The turning into dirt may remain, originally those were (inactive) mycelium spots. As Jackal is not really Libila territory, I am ok with that having gone, ymmv.

I’ve posted similar before. Remove that stuff. Maybe add some destruction models that act like tree stumps behave (but random debris/etc) and can be bashed or will decay in a couple days. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LionIX said:

can be bashed or will decay in a couple days. 

I think this is the biggest thing. I don't imagine you'd care if the terrain modification "decayed" after sometime leaving it back the way it was. Right? I'm all for the dirt being changed to the rest of what you were saying, but I think it's important to point out the key issues in things. Which to me would be it needing to be anything that reverts overtime.