Sign in to follow this  
Fearil

Hide Glue / Animal Glue

Ok, ok, I know you've heard this before (not from me) but I want to detail how I think this could be a great addition (namely Use 2) to the game.

First of all, creation:

Craft :: Activate animal part onto lye. Equal parts Lye + (Fish or Horn or Bladder or Leather/pieces/bits) = Glue

• Animal parts provide the resulting ql. Allow combining of finished glue and storage in BSB (as this stuff is shelf stable until needed). If not BSB, then store in barrels and seal, whatever flavour the powers-that-be prefer.
  • Converted at 5-10% of combined input weight. So, 5kg + 5kg = 10kg * .05 = 500g Glue
    • This could contain an extra level of complexity in order to make the smaller components available easier to convert (this would actually be accurate to the irl process);  the leather and fish components require boiling to further soften/purify into some sort of aptly named pre-glue product (stinky slurry) (output 25% of input leather) which is then turned into glue with lye as above. Perhaps? This would give a greater value to the smaller weights of horn/bladder which are purer sources of the collagen that makes up the glue. Also, I figure tortoise shell could probably slot in with the leather process.
    • Hoof could also be included, but from research it seems that hoof makes keratin glue, a different product. However, for simplicity, probably doesn't hurt to add it, perhaps using mortar + pestle or grindstone to make hoof powder (1:1, as per max volume of tool) which is then processed like horn/bladder into glue.

Skill: Natural Substances, of course. It's not really any more difficult than making leather (perhaps less-so) but it could be slotted in to the difficulty levels appropriately for another method of effective NatSubs skillgain.

Uses:

Use #1: Turning all those horrible woodscraps into something useful ::

• Woodscraps & Glue into a Shaft :: 2kg woodscrap + 50g glue = 1 shaft (ql based on woodscrap ql?  perhaps woodscrap ql * (glue ql /100)  )
  • Woodscraps & Glue into a Plank :: 5kg woodscrap + 150g glue = 1 plank ( " " ")
  • Woodscraps & Glue into a Wooden Beam :: 25kg woodscrap + 650g glue = 1 wooden beam (" " ")
    • etc... As an alternative that would really cut the use of glue here, have it turn into crude shaft & (new) crude planks that are useful for carpentry but not fine carp recipes?
  • Skill: Carpentry, factoring into success chance along with glue/scrap ql?

Use #2: Repairing pottery. Ok, read on before arguing with me here, please. I have often thought that the techniques of the japanese art of Kintsugi would be a great add to the game, without the specific name. In brief, this craft uses a glue and precious metal dust torepair cracked pottery. While we could certainly go into this as a method of improving pottery, I think the repair aspect would be most benificial. Still, I'll cover both:

• Simple Repair: Pottery with damage + 50g glue (per 1 damage) = Repaired piece, with caveats. Uses repair or pottery skill? (Skill ultimately not really factoring in here in the act of applying)
    • The math here isn't exactly in my wheelhouse, but 100ql glue = a mend cast, but below 100ql the glue consumes the difference in ql from 100 as a percentage extra ql consumed...
      • If glue ql = 100, then ql lost = (damage repaired  * .1)
        • 20 *.1 = 2
      • Else ((100 - glue ql) * .01 +1) * (repaired damage * .1) = ql reduced
        • 90ql glue: 100 - 90 = 10 * .01 = .1 +1 = 1.1 * 2 = 2.2 ql reduced
        • 50ql glue: (100 - 50) = 50 * .01 = .5 +1 = 1.5 = 3 ql reduced
      • Perhaps skill can alleviate ql loss, but overall I feel like this makes the function of glue repair attractive to non-priests but not affecting the market for a mend cast.
      • Perhaps we could also use this for tents.... Maybe I'm dreaming...

• Complex Repair or (Kintsugi-style) Improvement
    • The goal here is to create a method of improving damaged pottery, however in an extremely limited fashion. The intention is to allow you to keep your high ql pottery in top shape, but not go creating batches of amazing ql pottery with glue alone. The higher the damage (up to 20), the greater potential improvement of the item with the appropriate high-ql enameled glue product (eg: taking a shattered cup and piecing it together with gold enamel, creating a more pleasing and valuable object).
      • Extra materials: Gold, Silver, Electrum, Addy/Seryl/Glimmer. ([MetalType])
        • These extra materials offer varying levels of effectiveness in mitigating ql lost in the previous method, and allowing for potential improvement if high enough ql enamel glue is used.
          • Silver 100% Effectiveness (1) (baseline, no ql added, but can reduce ql loss by using higher ql silver to bolster lower ql glue)
          • Electrum 110% Effectiveness (1.2)
          • Gold 120% Effectiveness (1.4)
          • Addy/Glimmer 140% Effectiveness (1.8)
          • Seryl 150% Effectiveness (2)
    • Craft: Glue + Metal = [MetalType] Enamel Glue (for lack of a better name off the top of my head)
      • Resulting weight: lump weight (minimum 100g) + (lump weight *2) glue = [MetalType] Enamel Glue (combined weight of input)
      • Resulting Enamel Glue ql: (lump ql + glue ql) / 2 = [MetalType] Enamel Glue ql  (simple average of component ql, but could weight it either way)
      • Using the previous method for repair, the MetalType modifier then allows the ql loss to reverse.
      • MetalType modifier increases effective glue ql. If the effective ql goes above 100, then the item is repaired and improved in ql at the same time, the same way Kintsugi can create a more appeal item after repair.
        • EnamelEffectiveQuality = 100 - (EnamelGlueQl * MetalTypeModifier)
          • If: EnamelEffectiveQuality is < 0, Ql Change = EnamelEffectiveQl * -.1
            • Gold 100ql enamel :: 100 - (100 * 1.2 =120) = -20 * -.1 = +2 ql added.
            • Gold 85ql enamel :: 100 - (85 * 1.2 =  102) = bla bla bla +0.2 ql added
            • Seryl 100ql enamel :: 100 - (100 *2 = 200) = -100 * -.1 = +10 ql added
          • Else: Repair Normally.
            • Silver 80ql enamel :: 100 - (80 *1 = 80) = 20 => Repair Normally as per Simple Repair. Silver ql already factored into enamel quality allows for higher glue output ql (rather than just using lower ql glue), not to mention bolstering glue weight.
      • Anyways, I'm tired of doing math, but as an example system perhaps it has merit.

Use #3: It's more of a passing thought since I don't mind the system as it is, but this could be an added level of complexity for piecing together archaeology fragments.

• Adding glue to a fragment might raise the fragment's QL by the difference in ql between Glue (at higher ql) and Fragment?
  • Adding glue might increase the chance of rune recovery?

I'm sure I could brain up more uses, but I think that's enough for now. Overall the use with pottery I believe would be a beneficial game-changer. Other topics have a few other suggestions that I won't repeat here.

Of course, we could go even deeper and use glue as an essential ingredient in fine carpentry and leatherworking, but that might be a bridge too far.

Thanks for reading.

tl:dr - Glue stuff. Just read the damned thing.

Edit: Tortoise shell as source of glue added.

Edited by Fearil
Tortoise shell as source of glue added.
  • Like 4

I really like the pottery repair idea.

I'm not really sold on the particle board. It's attractive in a way to have more use for wood scraps, but if I need wood products it's going to be far easier to just make them from fresh wood. Why bother with glue, outside of "just because you can"?

• Like 1

To be fair, the particle board idea isn't really what I'd be set on, but it's an option.

It's more use #1 because it was quick off the top of my head before I kind of unnecessarily brain dumped on the pottery stuff. 😁