Sign in to follow this  
Ayuna

Tips on video-making?

Could any of you that are well-versed in uploading videos into The Showtime Theater forum share some tips for those of us new to the path & desiring to document our adventures via videos (not streaming)? Do you use keybindings to make recording streamlined? What are tips I should be aware of? 

I would recommend using OBS or a similar software. Most use OBS to stream but it can record videos just as well. It offers a lot of tools to allow you to make quality videos such as scene switching, putting overlays, images or text on the screen, and it takes care of all the sound (ie. the game sound plus your mic or any additional music you want to add). It take some learning to figure it out but there are a lot of YouTube tutorials out there. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

I would recommend using OBS or a similar software. Most use OBS to stream but it can record videos just as well. It offers a lot of tools to allow you to make quality videos such as scene switching, putting overlays, images or text on the screen, and it takes care of all the sound (ie. the game sound plus your mic or any additional music you want to add). It take some learning to figure it out but there are a lot of YouTube tutorials out there. 

Thanks for this great tip. Would you know if OBS is better than Nvidia Geforce for recording?

Much better. Obs allows you to record your own microphone and audio as well, add overlays and various other pieces. Of content. 

Even if you don't want to use those, It's a superior recording system for sure 

• Like 1

OBS is a very robust video recording software. It’s only downside is that it takes a bit of learning to figure it out. The nividia software is super easy to use but it has so many less options. It depends on the type of content you intend to make. If it’s just a one off, short video, where you don’t need any bells and whistles (like any overlays, adding your web cam etc) then nvidia would work ok. I’m pretty sure you can capture the game and your mic at the same time with it. On the other hand, if you are interested in getting into content creation more seriously, learning OBS, or something similar, is almost a necessity.

• Like 2

Windows + Alt + R worked fine for me... I have hundreds of gigs of game footage (not only Wurm).

There are plenty of options for recording in-game vids and you can go with any popular option or search for something the suits your needs. I use a paid app called Action by Mirillis. It's easy to setup and easy to use with a very low learning curve, especially when compared to OBS. It has a couple of features that I like a lot, one is that I can pause the recording without stopping the recording, this makes it easy for me to record content without the need to edit the video afterwords, that's the time consuming part. This is also real handy for household distractions, just pause, go take care of business, get a drink, eat dinner, whatever, then resume.

It also has a time-shift feature that lets you record past actions. This is good if you just want to record clips without recording hours of footage while waiting for an interesting thing to happen, and then needing to edit out that small minute clip. It's also handy for when you encounter an issue with another player, just hit the time-shift hotkey and it will retroactively record everything you've encountered in the game for the last x minutes where x is the value you define ahead of time. I record from time to time but I don't stream live, but Action also lets you stream to a list of streaming sites like Twitch, Youtube, livestream, facebook, etc. You can also use standard streaming options like a webcam, overlay, etc...

Edited by Whane
  • Like 1