Sign in to follow this  
Finnn

100% ENTERTAINING - Josh Strife Hayes reviews Wurm Online

2 hours ago, Finnn said:

thx @Cheststrongwell

Indeed, fun to watch! The comments are entertaining as well (happy to see some of the active players contributing to them). Couldn't help wanting to correct him throughout the video, but realize that his perception is the reality for a brand-new player who doesn't know you can simply bring up the crafting window, etc. Don't think the Steam achievement percentages are relaying the full truth (ex. many folks just quit the tutorial without actually leaving the game itself), but I can see how they could be interpreted that way. Either way, I bet it brings a few new folks in to at least try it... :)

• Like 2

Very good video, but it's Josh, so it's kinda obvious.

For me, it's a good reminder of things, that I have forgotten or get used to.

- How hard it is, for new player, to do anything, and worse, how much time consuming. Players with good accounts dig, mine and build in seconds.

- How many clunky animations, no collision with objects and many other poorly done things it has. I think, we all just get used to it, after all those years, so we practically do not see it.

Every developer of Wurm Online should watch this video for sure.

Edited by Wilczan
  • Like 5

-

Edited by Joshh

On 4/29/2022 at 3:43 PM, Yggdrasil said:

https://youtu.be/VsJc2ZhbXIg

>if you left click and scroll you can zoom out

WHEN DID THEY ADD THIS!?!

long ago... since some to all of wurm new features are ignored from the UI... you can completely miss on them for years, you're back and playing for what.. 2 years now and you just learned this.. enjoy..

coffee and caffeine is 1 new thing.. nothing hints you to drink once coffee to get 10min sb for free, daily.. nothing hints you about caffeine mechanic, there's no UI about any of that, unless you use it..

It is entertaining and it might actually be beneficial to Wurm. But as a review I think he misses some points of the game entirely.

1. Complexity - I had a few false starts before remaining in Wurm some 8 yrs ago. And I never found it to be THAT complex. It's pretty easy - activate thing and use on other thing.
  2. The fact he expects to be given directions by starter quests. In all the time I played this game I hardly ever opened the journal, and I suspect most people if they do it they do it for the rewards and not for a need for direction. Also my "starter quest" was in a way created by players on Serenity, and it was rather captivating.
  3. I don't get the criticism of the combat system, because it's similar to RS: simple actions (no giant hotbars half the screen size) and relatively slow paced.

In the end I think people who see the game, even if not presented in more depth, will become interested. I found out about Ryzom from JoshStrifeHayes and I really like that game, even though his review of it was very negative.

On 4/24/2022 at 8:18 PM, Wilczan said:

- How hard it is, for new player, to do anything, and worse, how much time consuming. Players with good accounts dig, mine and build in seconds.

- How many clunky animations, no collision with objects and many other poorly done things it has. I think, we all just get used to it, after all those years, so we practically do not see it.

Epic has the best game pace imo. Many people would find it acceptable. If I had to play with freedom pace from the start I might have stopped also. There is also as you say that players can improve their productivity dramatically and this idea of the game should be made known to new players. Otherwise they might think in order to build those big deeds they see they will have to spend that many times amount of time as it took to build their first shack.

And yeah lack some of the animatiions and graphics can make the thing look unfinished. Imagine what a new player sees in this crafting with no specific animations, just looking at a forge for hours waving an anvil around.

Edited by Idlamn

On 5/14/2022 at 5:22 AM, Idlamn said:

Complexity - I had a few false starts before remaining in Wurm some 8 yrs ago. And I never found it to be THAT complex. It's pretty easy - activate thing and use on other thing.

My apologies Idlamn, but have you seen this:unknown.png -  Complexity does not have anything to do with being easy or hard, its about how things interact with each other. 

The fact he expects to be given directions by starter quests.

This should tell you something - everyone is welcome to talk to a few psychology majors and/or psychologists if they don't believe me, however - This is normal. This is TYPICAL. This is what most people joining any game for the first time expect - told how to play the game. Now i will grant most other games include 'who and what you are' as part of that telling - aka game and character lore.

I don't get the criticism of the combat system

i do and i can sum it up in a very short sentence: "I want buttons to push so i feel like i am doing something more then just standing there." they want to feel engaged with the task, not that it lines up with the slow nature of the game tbh.

even though his review of it was very negative

Imho it wasn't - he may have been very critical of the game but in the end he didn't call it the worst, and he very much praised some things, and I know I'm not the only one who thinks that josh is hooked.

imho it was a really good review. it opened my eyes some too.

Edited by Tomatoes

On 5/28/2022 at 7:43 PM, Tomatoes said:

Imho it wasn't - he may have been very critical of the game but in the end he didn't call it the worst, and he very much praised some things, and I know I'm not the only one who thinks that josh is hooked.

I was referring to his review of Saga of Ryzom as an example. Even if he reviewed the game as being bad it still sparked my interest. The Wurm one might have the same effect.

i do and i can sum it up in a very short sentence: "I want buttons to push so i feel like i am doing something more then just standing there." they want to feel engaged with the task, not that it lines up with the slow nature of the game tbh.

Yeah I heard him say  that. But afaik there is both visual, audio and text feedback. Attack anddefend directions also change the outcome of the fight. Fights are slower paced. What I think the issue with the combat is - it's that the critters later on are too easy to beat and there is no real point in trying. In my case I have to be somewhat careful because I travel in cloth so it can be a bit of a challenge with some mobs. Otherwise it's afk fighting.  I'd like to see more interesting combat - fewer critters to kill but more menancing.

My apologies Idlamn, but have you seen this:unknown.png -  Complexity does not have anything to do with being easy or hard, its about how things interact with each other. 

A lot of the things you do are kind of  intuitive. There are some wogical ones I agree. I remember this as an example: I  never touched the new AH mechanics but someone was telling me that after cutting grass they get some piles on the ground and didn't know how to get it into bundles or whatever. So I was like "don't they have a pitchfork or something like that in the game?" - and it worked. Stuff like cutting trees, chopping them up, mining, smelting is not a series totally bizzare steps you need  to perform (tho there are some things like small anvil usage that can be bizzare). I agree there is some wogic that needs to be made more intuitive, but a lot of it is not.

He did a LotRO review also and there is nothing in there about the game being bloated with all those systems that bring no value to the player (I played at initial version and still get in from time to time). I won't even mention the obvious difference in complexity: where in Wurm (and other sandbox games) you get players to craft combat gear, in games in the style of LotRO all this gear is obtained through dungeons/quests/drops/whatever - so for each item there is some speciic place or thing to do.  We can't really have a critical discussion about the complexity of a game unless we talk about points like those. Otherwise we're talking about how familiar Wurm is for people playing only hotbar, quest MMORPGs.

Wurm world is complex, but the interaction with it is not that complex. Compared with other MMOs I think it's a much better recipe for player satisfaction.

• Like 1