Sign in to follow this  
Guest Yehosh

Backpacks, barrels, and satchels.

The wiki is vague about this at best.  What are the differences between backpacks and satchels?  Some speculate that satchels do not prevent decay as well as backpacks (or at all).  And how does the backpack's bonus work inside of other decay-reducing containers?  An example is a backpack inside of a large barrel.  Does an object inside the backpack receive the bonus of both the backpack and the barrel, or just the backpack, or just the barrel?

The only difference I know of for certain is that backpacks can hold certain objects that satchels can't.  I think mallets are one of those items.

The wiki is vague about this at best.  What are the differences between backpacks and satchels?  Some speculate that satchels do not prevent decay as well as backpacks (or at all).  And how does the backpack's bonus work inside of other decay-reducing containers?  An example is a backpack inside of a large barrel.  Does an object inside the backpack receive the bonus of both the backpack and the barrel, or just the backpack, or just the barrel?

Backpacks have got a volume size of 75, satchels has a volume of 18 (units of water). This allows the backpack to hold more and larger items. A mallet is a fine example of what a backpack can hold, but a satchel cannot.

Also, nesting/stacking containers doesn't work. Placing an item in a container, which is placed in a larger container will not yield additional decay rate reduction. Quality of satchels has no effect on decay rate (according to Rara's test with 1 vs 50QL satchels). However, according to my own testing, the QL of waterskins affects the liquid inside.

So satchels offer the same decay-rate reduction as backpacks?  Which bonus will be applied to an item inside of a container which is likewise inside of another container?

So what is the point of a satchel then? if it holds less and provides no other bonus, why bother have them?

So what is the point of a satchel then? if it holds less and provides no other bonus, why bother have them?

they wheigh elss and are easier to make i guess.

Satchels can also be used as emergency bandages.

Really? I wish I knew that last night lol...didnt have to die twice then.

Because satchels are made out of only 0.5 KG of the relatively cheap raw material cotton, whilst backpacks are made out of a whopping 2.00 KG of the more expensive material leather.

And then there's the 50% success rate of a satchel compared to the 20% success rate of a backpack, with 20 in each skill.

By satchels, we are talking about the leather ones yes?

Well, I find they hold bigger objects than backpacks. For example, I'm probably wrong about this, but my satchel holds 2 stone bricks. I don't think one could fit in my backpack.

Is that true? Do things like saws and water skins fit into satchels?

Well, I find they hold bigger objects than backpacks. For example, I'm probably wrong about this, but my satchel holds 2 stone bricks. I don't think one could fit in my backpack.

No, that's waterskins. Satchels are made out of cloth, and are can hold a much larger volume than waterskins.

I can't get a mallet into satchels, so I doubt I can fit saws or bricks into them.

No, that's waterskins. Satchels are made out of cloth, and are can hold a much larger volume than waterskins.

I can't get a mallet into satchels, so I doubt I can fit saws or bricks into them.

Ah, I was referring to those satchels but I thought they were made out of leather, especially under the influence of the image.