Sign in to follow this  
VirusMD

Lava Tweaks / Problems?

Has there been any quiet changes to lava spread or its behavior in general? The reason I ask is that I've having a lot of weird things happen lately that would seem to indicate some kind of change...

I've been selling Lava as a service for like a year now, and keep an active patch on my deed for personal use. For several months now I've had static patch of 2x2 stone surrounded by a paved border.  I've never seen spread beyond the border, its incredibly rare for lava to spread over a non stone surface at all from my understanding. Typically I suggest sand/dirt/paved border to customers to keep the lava confined to a small patch when being used for repair grinds / item destruction. Never once has someone reported that a lava patch spread beyond its intended area to me. My personal patch has remained more or less the same with a couple exceptions of re-heating one tile every few weeks when I get a random cool. Then starting about 5-6 weeks ago i started seeing odd things. First I had a random tile of lava pop up, a good 50 tiles from the only existing patch in the area. I heavily scouted the area tracking to see if someone was just screwing around but I could not find any names that were not my characters, so I cooled it and didn't give it much more thought. then about a week ago my patch on deed spread east over the paved border, at this time id never heard of it passing over paving, but a coupe people said it was possible just incredibly unlikely. Now in the last several days it seems like one tile spread several times over 3 more tiles that were also all paved... Now I don't know the numbers but given the player feedback, the fact I had paving added to the wiki list, the incredibly unlikely chance of spread over said surfaces. Its seems virtually impossible to me that this could happen 4 times is as many weeks, 3 almost back to back to back.....

Is anyone else having similar experiences lately, or have any thoughts or idea's?

RbSYkOL.png

like 10 days ago that was just the 4 in the center as described, thoe I've started cooling them you can see what I mean.

Edited by VirusMD

Was it on a rock tile that first one? Perhaps someone erupted it. I had it spread on paved tile so many times,  but never had it spread past 2 tiles. The weirdest this for me so far was: spreading 3x3 tiles in single instance and if i cast erupt on tile next to a lava tile, the previous lava tile got frozen next day(or it happened on server restart coincendetly, maybe)

8 minutes ago, Tor said:

Was it on a rock tile that first one? Perhaps someone erupted it. I had it spread on paved tile so many times,  but never had it spread past 2 tiles. The weirdest this for me so far was: spreading 3x3 tiles in single instance and if i cast erupt on tile next to a lava tile, the previous lava tile got frozen next day(or it happened on server restart coincendetly, maybe)

yes, the patch started as a 2x2 rock that i erupted, stayed that way for a few months until now. The one random one way off from the cluster I thought someone might have erupted that rock tile, but my alt is good at tracking and I scoured the area, did not find any unusual names. 

Edited by VirusMD
typos

My experience is that lava easily expands to tiles which are grass/steppe/sand/maybe anything and with only 1-2 dirt on a corner but otherwise close to rock.

My lava tiles are happy to expand onto such tiles for quite many months, even consuming a fence in their way.

Maybe quite a similar check than other cases like if you can plant a tile partially submerged in water. Checks NW corner (or NE? always forget it). So if NW corner is rock (adjacent to lava) it can turn into lava.

Edited by Jaz

Lava is quite happy to spread, to me it seems you have just been lucky until now. I've used it to remove things like peat pre trans fluid update and that was climbing up slopes of 60 not just 1 or 2 dirt. It favours some directions over others and sometimes just flat refuses to go.

2 hours ago, Jaz said:

My experience is that lava easily expands to tiles which are grass/steppe/sand/maybe anything and with only 1-2 dirt on a corner but otherwise close to rock.

My lava tiles are happy to expand onto such tiles for quite many months, even consuming a fence in their way.

Maybe quite a similar check than other cases like if you can plant a tile partially submerged in water. Checks NW corner (or NE? always forget it). So if NW corner is rock (adjacent to lava) it can turn into lava.

it is all very shallow, the entire mountain is surface mined to shape and covered with a thin layer of dirt, no more then 5 deep in alot of places. the lower left of the image would be NW the corner that rises on eruption. In these cases spread was east and s/sw, when i initially set the area up it was flat with -4 offsets in the corners i knew would rise, making it perfectly flat for months, this is maybe why it did not spread... i recasted a tile a few weeks ago, maybe that gave it the slope it needed to "flow".... maybe it makes sense to make an outer ridge and form a bowl sort of to help keep it contained...

Edited by VirusMD

4 hours ago, VirusMD said:

it is all very shallow, the entire mountain is surface mined to shape and covered with a thin layer of dirt, no more then 5 deep in alot of places. the lower left of the image would be NW the corner that rises on eruption. In these cases spread was east and s/sw, when i initially set the area up it was flat with -4 offsets in the corners i knew would rise, making it perfectly flat for months, this is maybe why it did not spread... i recasted a tile a few weeks ago, maybe that gave it the slope it needed to "flow".... maybe it makes sense to make an outer ridge and form a bowl sort of to help keep it contained...

Perhaps trees and bushes stop it as well but I have no real experience of it - but all the tiles lava expanded to were without them.

12 hours ago, Jaz said:

Perhaps trees and bushes stop it as well but I have no real experience of it - but all the tiles lava expanded to were without them.

Have two oaks in the corners of the lava tile for around 3 years, didn't spread over them, yet