Sign in to follow this  
wsrich

Connecting Island NFI - SFI - Chaos

7 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Smell the irony.

I would be interested to hear the explanation of how my preferring to no longer have rude and selfish neighbours is toxic and harmful.  I experienced a huge amount more anti-social behaviour in months on NFI than I did in years on SFI.  Although, maybe you aren't referring to me, because I am not "spewing about NFI toxicity" so much as saying I found the dominant culture to be thoroughly unenjoyable.  Maybe that culture has matured somewhat, but as of not so long ago it was still apparent in comments to the effect that only opinions that count are those of NFIers.

My mindset and attitude? 

1. Everyone should get to play HOW they want.
  2. Everyone should be treated with respect.
  3. Everyone who can use my assistance may have it.

My solid experience across 3 northern islands tells me that a merge would likely damage 1 and 2.  Everyone getting to play WHERE they want is already limited, so continuing to limit it and thus allowing everyone to continue playing HOW they want seems to make sense to me.

Was intended, and no it was not in reference to you.

"Huge amounts of anti-social behavior" can again be attributed to the huge amount of new players the game had, and continues to see on Cadence. If I recall my past playtime on SFI and compare it to how things are on NFI, they're no different to me.

My main point is simply that the "issues" seen on NFI (just Cadence, really) are no different than on SFI. They're just far more visible due to there being far more new players who are not as versed in handling conflict and issues in a sandbox. Labeling an entire cluster as "toxic, immature, etc." and demanding they be kept away based on a small portion of the playerbase is just bad.

• Like 5

On 7/19/2022 at 3:00 PM, Ekcin said:

Well, I would find it revolting to be forced to PvP to visit other PvE servers. Also, such a construct would raise tons of problems, bugs, and exploits.

I agree completely. If there're some who want to see PvP revived, I'd consider trying to introduce this sort of "incentive" to be in extremely poor taste.

On the other hand, I'd be all for making travel between the northern and southern island clusters somewhat perilous in a PvE sense. Create a new, very large server consisting of nothing but water and a few small islands, and make travel by ship between north and south a risky undertaking. Sea monsters, dangerous storms, nautical missions, terrible curses upon those who shoot at sea birds, ghost ships..

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Avaxas said:

I agree completely. If there're some who want to see PvP revived, I'd consider trying to introduce this sort of "incentive" to be in extremely poor taste.

On the other hand, I'd be all for making travel between the northern and southern island clusters somewhat perilous in a PvE sense. Create a new, very large server consisting of nothing but water and a few small islands, and make travel by ship between north and south a risky undertaking. Sea monsters, dangerous storms, nautical missions, terrible curses upon those who shoot at sea birds, ghost ships..

Or how about its just a normal server crossing instead of something that would take the current dev team 10 years to implement only for the features of that server to result in a 90% death rate of anyone trying to cross due to a few over tweaked value's and people to rage at the gms for their corpses back only to be met with a "no" and then quitting the game as they lost most of their stuff that they had while wanting to move to another place.
That will go over well with the parent company.

If any kind of connection has to be done it should just be like any other travel is between servers currently if due to code reasons a transfer server is needed then make it an small island map that mostly is there for the sake of the community the perfect place for impalongs and the likes something nice for the community not something that is potentially deadly or game ending.

• Like 2

Note

Characters aren't toxic; players are.

Keeping the servers separate doesn't prevent toxic players going wherever they want to.

• Like 4

On 8/27/2022 at 7:12 PM, Sheffie said:

Characters aren't toxic; players are.

Keeping the servers separate doesn't prevent toxic players going wherever they want to.

I partially agree. But behaviour is shaped by the environment and peer groups. Rarely an individual is just vicious or evil, toxicity arises from circumstances. A player who is upset over neighbours cutting trees or digging holes may be friendly and amiable in a less populous region.

Yet I agree that keeping the clusters apart is no remedy against troubles.

i support merging, bigger world is always better in my opinion

There will not be any skill transfer. When the clusters merge, it just means that it is possible to travel, and mail between them (incl. COD).

On 6/20/2022 at 12:41 AM, Sheffie said:

Just to clarify, Keenan did also say that the UI directing new players to NFI / Cadence was something that would be reviewed.

Tick Tock - Wurm staff

On 4/19/2022 at 1:17 PM, wsrich said:

Rolf actually said it would happen when it was all being planned out. i miss Rolf so much.  WO Steam Discussion - City Hall - Wurm Online Forum

Rolf says there that the servers would be merged soon if the Steam release was a failure.  If it wasn’t a failure, it would happen sometime in the future, when a disparity in level of development and related things would have little or no impact on new player’s experience of Wurm or existing players experience of Wurm.  The timetable for that would be strictly based on there being so little difference between clusters that it wouldn’t really affect things.

The difference in market pricing and development levels between clusters as they are now would have been covered under that guideline.  Rolf, at least at the time this was posted, would not merge clusters now.

I disagree. If there is any significant difference, then it is in first in unique stuff which will not suffice for the next five to ten years or more, given that there are about 3000 accounts sharing the about 15-20 scale and drake sets per year, also taking in account that Freedom veterans will reserve a good share for themselves, their alts, and their gadflies, and some remain on players who left since.

In fact, NFI never had a fair start like old Freedom. Highly experienced veteran Freedomers rushed to the new servers, and dominated the sheeple in a fly, using and abusing all of their knowledge, the glitches and flaws of the new servers, ruthlessly exploiting, triggering panic "fixes" damaging the whole honestly playing community, be it priests, miners, or woodcutters.

How much of the 28,000+ players originally logging into Wurm after the steam launch remained? It seems Wurm has stabilized at about 5-6000 active accounts (including premed alts ofc), relatively evenly distributed over the whole of Wurm. This is about double, or at least 60-80% more than what it was in the worst crisis year of 2019.

Still, the stagnation is frustrating for considerable and relevant parts of the community. There are the active PvP players suffering from the split far more than others due to their lower numbers. Then, there are NFI players feeling cheated by not having access to the wider world of southern Freedon, nor the wide realms of Epic, or to guard towers, flags, and other deco of factional or PMK design. The currency divide is blocking much desired Jackal revival. The community and cluster divide is a blocking point for much positive development.

Most of those arguing for preservation are frogs fearing for their swamp, namely the slavers violently arguing on behalf of their slaves with their slightly higher pay, almost exclusively old Freedom fugitive carpet baggers. Also some SFI conservatives fearing invasion of NFIers, bit weird given the size of SFI, and the fact that most players on all of Wurm are just that, players, open to communication and not addicted to dig holes or cut oaks in others' perimeter.

The time is nigh for a unification, it could long have been performed. If there are roadblocks because the devs botched some code split, they should be transparent and open about, and offer a roadmap for repair.

• Like 3

i used to spend my time on this game playing on both clusters but more and more i stopped playing on the northern cluster  partly due to finanacial constraints but mainly because i found the southern servers more to my liking i am FOR a server merge or even the oppurtunity to either transfer my toons north to south one time only by either sail or portal.  i am not interested in wether it would ruin the already bad economies of both clusters i just want to be able to play my charactors that i put my time and money into on my current set of deeds spread across the southern servers.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2024 at 5:03 PM, Ekcin said:

The currency divide is blocking much desired Jackal revival. The community and cluster divide is a blocking point for much positive development.

this jackal issue is a major one for several of us on SFI instead of stoping jackal completely they should just make it a SFI only feature until the merge is done!

plz send help we miss jackal :(

quote: "life is sweeta when your riding a weta"

Edited by Evilreaper