Sign in to follow this  
wsrich

Connecting Island NFI - SFI - Chaos

Don't really want to start another thread since theres already enough going around but if people are that strongly opposed to server merging.

Would they perhaps be open to a server transfer option, perhaps 1-time free and then paid after that?

The options of what can be taken would need to be decided, at this point I think theres enough high skilled players on NFI to make skills transferring ok, maybe a limit on gold and items so you can take some across but not too much?

Edited by HawkHawk
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, HawkHawk said:

Don't really want to start another thread since theres already enough going around but if people are that strongly opposed to server merging.

Would they perhaps be open to a server transfer option, perhaps 1-time free and then paid after that?

The options of what can be taken would need to be decided, at this point I think theres enough high skilled players on NFI to make skills transferring ok, maybe a limit on gold and items so you can take some across but not too much?

I would actually be fine only for a Server transfer for a toon on NFI to transfer to SFI but not the other way around. They could take an inventory of stuff, their money, and their bank. But I am not good with SFI players being able to transfer to NFI. Remember SFI had RMT etc. where NFI has been unscathed by that. I would like to keep NFI as pure as possible.

So on the one hand we do not want fragmentation, though do want new places to explore.

On the other hand we want to start over, but at the same time bring over old equipment and an existing market.

NFI is designed to be separated from SFI for a reason, where players have started anew for a reason, not expecting for a merge to happen ever. If you did expect that, that would only boil down to having been giving false promises to yourself and potentially you would have been wasting your time. No announcements have been made or hinted to so far, because there likely is nothing to announce about this.

How would it have been different from introducing more SFI servers? Would everyone in favour of merging the servers now, have been in favour of having had introduced new SFI island at the time instead?  (If not, because of reasons stated above, then why wouldn't you have isolated yourself from the market, if not temporarily?)

Honestly I see no difference in merging the servers now and having introduced more SFI servers instead.

Can we all please make up our collective minds?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Rishy said:

NFI is designed to be separated from SFI for a reason, where players have started anew for a reason, not expecting for a merge to happen ever. If you did expect that, that would only boil down to having been giving false promises to yourself and potentially you would have been wasting your time. No announcements have been made or hinted to so far, because there likely is nothing to announce about this.

Asserting falsehoods does not help. At the time NFI was designed, it was stated that there would be a merge some time in the future once the state of the servers has matured. The reason to keep them apart was for the allegedly fresh start from zero (which was in fact a huge headstart for SFI players starting there), the waste difference of experience, stored high ql equipment and banked silver present in SFI and similar. There have been quite a number of hints and announcements that while a merge is not planned recently, it may well happen in the future. 

Now most if not all of the prerequisites have been fulfilled. Average experience of the playerhood has come close to equal to that of SFI, lots of silver stored and distributed within the community, marketing overpriced stuff becoming more and more difficult. On the other hand, NFI players suffer from the embargo. Not only are they cut off from most of historical Wurm, cannot visit the Epic cluster, or the frequent impalongs, also they are barred from PMK merchandise, and have no chance for practical reasons ever to get hold of drake or scale armour. Also, reaching journal goals such as the 100 rifts one is more than double as hard as on SFI.

Consequently, the population on NFI has shrunk, and may go on shrinking further. It is mainly the profiteers of overpriced markets, and economy centered players in particular, who cling to the idea of a separate cluster. Not few NFI players appear to support the idea of tearing down the walls they are confined in.

And no, new servers, no matter whether on SFI or NFI, are a no brainer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

It is mainly the profiteers of overpriced markets, and economy centered players in particular, who cling to the idea of a separate cluster. Not few NFI players appear to support the idea of tearing down the walls they are confined in.

So it was with Release and Pristine, and so it will be again with the old and new clusters.

Personally, I would be satisfied if we weren't actively directing players to the new cluster (see stickied post here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1179680/discussions/0/3880365909903427772/).

• Like 2

please able to transfer my NFI toon to SFI please like defiance=NFI transfers

On 4/19/2022 at 7:05 PM, Coach said:

They didn't make any promise about a merge on SFI and NFI before and after the steam launch.

Why people assume there will be a merge.

I guess they would say they don't have a plan for a merge in the near future.

Probably because this isn't the first time a new cluster has been added to the game like this. If I'm not mistaken it has happened twice before and so far every time the clusters were eventually merged into one. Thus there's precedent of pve clusters being merged and there's actually no precedent of pve clusters not eventually being merged. Makes perfect sense to assume things will end up merged at some point then, doesn't it? At least to me it would make more sense to assume that then to assume the opposite.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, BattleWall said:

I would actually be fine only for a Server transfer for a toon on NFI to transfer to SFI but not the other way around. They could take an inventory of stuff, their money, and their bank. But I am not good with SFI players being able to transfer to NFI. Remember SFI had RMT etc. where NFI has been unscathed by that. I would like to keep NFI as pure as possible.

Worried about taking silver is not a argument since people do deals to sell SFI - NFI and vis vera. 

I think if it was to happen no items would be allowed to be taken 

And i think the more important thing of this whole situation is getting toons from SFI and bringing them to NFI where the long time players has migrated too. i think its just a waste having mothballed accounts sat on SFI that years and money have been spent on them just to sit there and rot. 

I have wanted a merge since the release of NFI but to be fair i don't really care what happens just want my toons at my NFI deed, and i feel a transfer token if not initially free could be charged for and then its good for both sides, Warm makes money have it as a shop item in the same place you can buy silvers / prem and when you have loaded a transfer token onto your selected account you can use a portal at a starter town to cash in the token and travel to the other side. - No items at all will be transferred with you i think this would be the best option and just keep the boarders closed off | Wurm makes a bit of money in the process and the players who want there mothballed accounts to go either way now have that option, maybe make it a one time purchase so people cant go back and forth. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wsrich said:

Worried about taking silver is not a argument since people do deals to sell SFI - NFI and vis vera. 

I think if it was to happen no items would be allowed to be taken 

And i think the more important thing of this whole situation is getting toons from SFI and bringing them to NFI where the long time players has migrated too. i think its just a waste having mothballed accounts sat on SFI that years and money have been spent on them just to sit there and rot. 

I have wanted a merge since the release of NFI but to be fair i don't really care what happens just want my toons at my NFI deed, and i feel a transfer token if not initially free could be charged for and then its good for both sides, Warm makes money have it as a shop item in the same place you can buy silvers / prem and when you have loaded a transfer token onto your selected account you can use a portal at a starter town to cash in the token and travel to the other side. - No items at all will be transferred with you i think this would be the best option and just keep the boarders closed off | Wurm makes a bit of money in the process and the players who want there mothballed accounts to go either way now have that option, maybe make it a one time purchase so people cant go back and forth. 

If you wanted a merge since the start of NFI then you clearly wanted the merge to benefit from bringing your stock of goods from SFI to NFI which is what we are trying to Prevent. No one said that I was worried about taking your silver all silver in NFI had to be bought from the store thus keeping the servers alive. If you want to play on NFI make a character there if you don't want to spend money to keep your SFI toons alive then don't but I don't think that they should merge both clusters together at least not anytime soon. SFI still has way more items overall in the economy and way higher skilled accounts than are on NFI. Your choice was to play on NFI but wanting a merger from the start meant that you wanted to bring your already high skilled toons over rather then working towards that again. Just because Rolf stated that there would be a merger means nothing since he is no longer the owner and has stepped away from anything administrative with the game. 

If you join the clusters together then wurm will actually lose income which will mean less updates and less development. Lets actually work towards making the game hold players rather than use development time on things like Virtual Reality that no ones going to use. Address more pressing issues rather than inventing more issues and things that most wont even use or care for.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BattleWall said:

[..quarrel with Wsrich.]

I don't care, don't even agree to all his points. But he is right that a merge was not only never outruled, but rather considered likely once the prerequisites matched. Which they do now. There are no huge disruptions to be expected from a merge, and there is few justification to further lock up and embargo NFIers only to make profiteers feast on them.

2 hours ago, BattleWall said:

If you join the clusters together then wurm will actually lose income which will mean less updates and less development. Lets actually work towards making the game hold players rather than use development time on things like Virtual Reality that no ones going to use. Address more pressing issues rather than inventing more issues and things that most wont even use or care for.

The loss of income does not follow at all. On contrary, a merge event (e.g. my "Atlantis" scenario 😎) may attract new or returning players. Most who held accounts both sides long mothballed one side. I consider players like Wsrich (still his decision and playstyle I am not entitled nor willing to frown upon) more an exception rather than the rule. Most Wurmians peek to the other side with f2p if at all.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2022 at 10:58 PM, MordosKull said:

(Not quoting the doubling-down on trying to play a racism card)

People playing Wurm on particular servers are there because they chose to be  - it hasn't nothing to do with race at all.  People who don't / didn't like that particular culture on NFI generally left in one way or another.  One of those ways was to continue in/return to/restart in SFI.  Those who stayed in NFI are obviously happy with the style of the game there, while there is definitely an element of SFI that dislikes the style of game on NFI.  All of this "merge now" pressure (let's call it what it is) amounts to another example of an attitude of entitlement from noticeable NFI players, in that there are vocal NFI players who think that their own desires in Wurm count for more than others. (Although it should be noted that there are NFI players who also object to merging).

Anyway, here's a solution.

• Close Melody and whichever of Harmony and Cadence has the less activity.  Consolidate the PvE players onto one server
  • Open Defiance to sailing from the server kept open, like Chaos can be sailed from SFI.
  • Allow a one-off, one way transfer of characters, with their skills and worn/equipped gear and some set kg of inventory  - for some cost in silver.  Like a character has exactly one teleport-to-deed allow exactly one teleport to the login server from whence the character can re-choose a destination server.  If people simply want to bring their dormant characters over to where they are active, this would allow that.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

TheTrickster, reread the posts above... you've really taken what I originally said warning about segregationist-like arguments for continued separation way too far. Warning about segregationist views is anti-racism last I checked. But at least you are correct in saying race has nothing to do with server choice, though that's a given most of us don't need pointed out, sort of like saying the sky is blue.

But I do disagree with this:

1 hour ago, TheTrickster said:

People playing Wurm on particular servers are there because they chose to be

They may have technically chosen by a click of the mouse, but many chose blindly, not having a clue, as new players, the qualities or detracting factors of the server they chose. Many new players randomly pick a server to get started, or pick because they like the server name, or by coming onboard via Steam, have no idea they are now stuck on a certain cluster. 

huh???  And this:

2 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

All of this "merge now" pressure (let's call it what it is) amounts to another example of an attitude of entitlement from noticeable NFI players, in that there are vocal NFI players who think that their own desires in Wurm count for more than others. (Although it should be noted that there are NFI players who also object to merging).

entitlement? because people want to travel and see all of the game, not just half of it?  Don't forget, staff also said in the beginning in multiple posts that the intention was to eventually merge if and when the economies and NFI player skill would get to a point where it was a good idea.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

People playing Wurm on particular servers are there because they chose to be  - it hasn't nothing to do with race at all. 

Mordoskull never said it had to do anything with race, but with segregation between communities in the 19th or beginning 20th century. It were poorly educated people like Archaed (apologies, but that is matter of fact) who immediately raised the racism accusation. Bit more knowledge of social and cultural history would have avoided such a kneejerk reaction.

Traditionally, societies had deep divides, class divides in particular, also ethnic divides, of course, divides between the sexes, divides between religious and cultural communities, ethnics, several outcast communities looked down upon on different grounds. Then there were and are divides between nations and the according mutual prejudices and accusations *). And prejudice and accusations are what we are speaking about. Screaming "racism!" obfuscates that there is at least some truth in Mordoskull's hysterically rejected reasoning. 

People who don't / didn't like that particular culture on NFI generally left in one way or another. 

It is doubtful at least that such a "culture" exists beyond some spurious observations. More exactly, no objective data exist about, no criterion to corroborate or falsify that assertion. So far, we know that some NFIers may have behaved in unpleasant ways, maybe still do behave. We do not know whether many act that way, or just a few, whether the phenomenon, if at all, exists over all three servers, only one, two, or only special regions, deeds, or alliances. We do not know whether such players left or prevailed. In short, not much more than assertions  and prejudice remains. But it was enough to stamp half of the playerhood of Wurm as petty egotists. If anything, that is "racism". or at least an attitude coming close to.

One of those ways was to contiue in/return to/restart in SFI.  Those who stayed in NFI are obviously happy with the style of the game there, while there is definitely an element of SFI that dislikes the style of game on NFI. 

Again, "proof" by assertion.

All of this "merge now" pressure (let's call it what it is) amounts to another example of NFI entitlement attitude in that there are vocal NFI players who think that their own desires in Wurm count for more than others.

Give me a break. Vilifying others with a different idea and perspective is truly thinking "that their own desires in Wurm count for more than others", namely those accused and singled out. And it is "only" the whole active population of one of the two clusters. Drinking too much, or smoking the wrong stuff?

Anyway, here's a solution.

Close Melody and whichever of Harmony and Cadence has the less activity.  Consolidate the PvE players onto one server ..

Sure. Close Independence, Exodus, Pristine, and whichever has less activity. Consolidate the PvE players onto Xanadu.

Anything else?

*) This is not to say that such divides and prejudices have gone, or at least somewhat subsided in our "better" recent ages. Sadly, I have reason to doubt.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 4

I am one of those horrible, awful steam players that joined the game about 18 months ago.  During the tutorial I was guided toward Cadence as being a "new server", not understanding the limitations that came with the choice I made.  I was disappointed when I later realized I could not travel anywhere I wanted.  I have since left Cadence and moved to Melody, where I have made a "home".

I am a casual, single account player with very few skills over 70 and have no desire to restart on SFI at this time.  I do have a desire to experience the entire Wurm universe with my main character and to see what both SFI and NFI have to offer.  I want to experience the impalongs, fishing derby's, all the rifts and dragon slayings.  Most importantly I would like to meet all the people I see here on the forums and overall meet as much of the Wurm population as possible.  I want to have the ability to explore all the islands and to be able to appreciate the work that Wurm players have created though out the years.  If there is one thing I have learned from all my travels, is that Wurm players love to show off their deeds!

Wurm advertises itself as an open sandbox MMORPG, but nowhere does it mention the invisible wall that divides SFI and NFI.  I would like to see the wall between SFI and NFI knocked down, bringing the community together and creating a truly open sandbox.      

• Like 7

The devs did mention a possible merge around the time NFI opened yes, however after moving here from Independence I do hope they never do it.
As good as merging the playerbase sounds like and as much as I miss my high skilled "alt", I personally do not miss the dirt cheap broken economy the old servers have.

19 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Sure. Close Independence, Exodus, Pristine, and whichever has less activity. Consolidate the PvE players onto Xanadu.

I have suggested similar consolidation of SFI, before it because "Southern".  I know the chances are slim and none, but I do think that Wurm has too many servers.  I have known games to spin off new servers when they have too many players, but Wurm is the first one in my experience to do so when there aren't enough players.

19 hours ago, Ekcin said:

This is not to say that such divides and prejudices have gone, or at least somewhat subsided in our "better" recent ages. Sadly, I have reason to doubt.

I agree with you there.  I think there are people who hate and are just in want of a reason to do so.  Otherness is sufficient reason for them.

I freely admit that I am asserting without proof, because I am speaking my opinion.  For the record, though, I have never said - and I hope never even implied - that I think it is only the whole active population of one of the two clusters.  In fact, in the post you are quoting: 

22 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

(Although it should be noted that there are NFI players who also object to merging).

But, I did say "NFI entitlement attitude" like it is a whole class of people, which I happily retract and for which I humbly apologize.

20 hours ago, Tukodama said:

I am one of those horrible, awful steam players that joined the game about 18 months ago.  During the tutorial I was guided toward Cadence as being a "new server", not understanding the limitations that came with the choice I made.  I was disappointed when I later realized I could not travel anywhere I wanted.  I have since left Cadence and moved to Melody, where I have made a "home".

I am a casual, single account player with very few skills over 70 and have no desire to restart on SFI at this time.  I do have a desire to experience the entire Wurm universe with my main character and to see what both SFI and NFI have to offer.  I want to experience the impalongs, fishing derby's, all the rifts and dragon slayings.  Most importantly I would like to meet all the people I see here on the forums and overall meet as much of the Wurm population as possible.  I want to have the ability to explore all the islands and to be able to appreciate the work that Wurm players have created though out the years.  If there is one thing I have learned from all my travels, is that Wurm players love to show off their deeds!

Wurm advertises itself as an open sandbox MMORPG, but nowhere does it mention the invisible wall that divides SFI and NFI.  I would like to see the wall between SFI and NFI knocked down, bringing the community together and creating a truly open sandbox.      

I also am a casual, single account player with very few skills over 70 (in fact, I am pretty sure only fighting, healing and repairing would be that high).  Having experienced SFI, (or just Freedom, as it was then) I too had a desire to experience what NFI had to offer, so I made a second account.  There was no other way to do it, but really a fresh character was the best way to experience it.  I later mothballed that second account, having decided which cluster I preferred.  If I had found Wurm later I could well have done it the other way around.  Started out and learned something of the game in NFI, and then created a second character to start out in SFI.  I wouldn't have had a problem with that.

Yes, the game steering people to NFI was and still is a problem.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2022 at 10:29 PM, BattleWall said:

If you wanted a merge since the start of NFI then you clearly wanted the merge to benefit from bringing your stock of goods from SFI to NFI which is what we are trying to Prevent. No one said that I was worried about taking your silver all silver in NFI had to be bought from the store thus keeping the servers alive. If you want to play on NFI make a character there if you don't want to spend money to keep your SFI toons alive then don't but I don't think that they should merge both clusters together at least not anytime soon. SFI still has way more items overall in the economy and way higher skilled accounts than are on NFI. Your choice was to play on NFI but wanting a merger from the start meant that you wanted to bring your already high skilled toons over rather then working towards that again. Just because Rolf stated that there would be a merger means nothing since he is no longer the owner and has stepped away from anything administrative with the game. 

I'm sorry didn't i state in every post that i suggest that no tools or items would be able to be transferred ? 

No items at all will be transferred with you i think this would be the best option and just keep the boarders closed off 

Edited by wsrich
  • Like 1

It should all be about what the players want. If the majority of players want the unrestrained ability to frequent the various lands of Wurm, they should be able to do that. It's then up to the devs to figure out how to make it happen and it be a fair and workable system. There has been lots of discussion about if it would be good for Wurm and its players and how it could be done, much of which I have also taken part in. Eventually though, I feel like let the devs figure out how to make it all work if the players want it.

I don't know how to setup polls like I've seen in other posts in the past, but I bet the majority would vote "yes" to questions like:

- Would you like to visit friends and other players despite the cluster they live on?

- Would you like to go and see the land and development and explore the lands of Wurm unrestricted by cluster?

- Would you like to be able to take part in events such as slayings, impalongs, and other community gatherings unrestricted by cluster?

- Would you like to be able to conduct trade with players unrestricted by the cluster they live on?

- Would you like to be able to help the player needing something that you can specifically aid with despite the cluster they live on?

So, despite concern for semantics on economy and how it would work and if it would be healthy, if most people answer "yes" to questions like those above, then the devs should make it happen and then go on to handle the how-to part of it all. Also, would it really be unhealthy for the game to drop the invisible barrier between NFI and SFI if the majority of players answered yes to the above?

• Like 2

So, let me shed some light on the possibility of a merge and what it will actually take.

There are technical challenges here that haven't been present in other clusters:

• NFI has a number of changes that have yet to be implemented on SFI. This was done intentionally to see the results long-term. I won't list them all here, but we need to review these changes and see what the results are.
  • These changes have caused disparity in the code base making NFI and SFI currently incompatible with each other. A merge isn't as simple as opening the borders.

Then there are other concerns:

• What of the effects on the economies? In particular, SFI's economy would literally transform NFI's economy overnight - for better or worse.
  • What of the effects on the people in both clusters? This thread is a testament to the fact that opinions are split.

These concerns and challenges are the primary reasons why a merge is not in the plans for the short term. Long-term remains to be seen, but we'd be talking beyond a 6-to-9-month timeframe if we do this. The sheer code work involved alone will require scheduling, and we have a lot of work on our plates already.

With regards to conducting a poll, one thing I've asked of the development team is to dust off the in-game voting mechanic and figure out a way to deduplicate votes from alts to have a more fair and accurate account of what the player base wants. I do not want a person with more money or silver to weigh more heavily than a person who simply keeps a single account going, so it's important to me to get that right. This isn't our highest priority at the moment, with the coming update taking precedence.

Edit: One other thing I would likely see us do before a merge is to allow travel to Epic first. Again though, there are code complications that must be handled first. This is why it isn't possible right now.

I hope this clears up my intentions with regards to a merge. The TL;DR is "it's not a 'never', but it's certainly not any time soon".

• Like 25

Thank you for the update, and now knowing its not just a simple flick of a switch it and will require more work it does make sense that this is not the priority at the moment. I personally feel a merge would be nice but its not essential at this stage.

One question I do have though, regarding the range of PvP items like banners/wagons etc that are available on SFI thanks to the current mechanics.

Is there any plans to give NFI the freedom to craft these in some capacity? Even if its making us buy a one time use skin from a trader or something.

Just so we have a bit more variety and the option to make these items SFI has access to.

Edited by HawkHawk
  • Like 1

Thanks, Keenan, for the clarification.

4 hours ago, Keenan said:
  • NFI has a number of changes that have yet to be implemented on SFI. This was done intentionally to see the results long-term. I won't list them all here, but we need to review these changes and see what the results are.
  • These changes have caused disparity in the code base making NFI and SFI currently incompatible with each other. A merge isn't as simple as opening the borders.

Tbh, that sounds frightening to me, as the changes due to the NFI merge so far were often to the worse, e.g. the mining and woodcutting nerf, or hasty priest changes promised to be temporary. Yet those affected both clusters. I would be curious which NFI "progress" (hm) should or could be implemented on SFI in addition.

And yes, there is obviously dissent about the merge in the community. Personally, if I would see that an overwhelming majority of NFI players, and not only SFI expats and profiteers on NFI, reject a merge, I would respect that vote, and not insist anymore as I do not intend to press a "SFI opinion" on then NFI players.

Yet I would plead to remove all unfair restrictions against new players to freely choose their cluster, mainly disadvantaging SFI. At the moment, there is still a "sticky" post strongly dissuading settling on SFI or "the old servers" in steam discussion forum, that should go (as non sticky) now, as it is from June or July 2020.

Further on possibly (I saw them last I made an alt which is some time ago) there are still "advices" e.g. to prefer Cadence even over Harmony, without any fair mentioning of SFI. As player count on both clusters is practically on par there should be no informational post favoring one cluster over the other. Rather, there may be an informational "sticky" post in steam forum as well as here in CA help forum explaining the differences of both clusters in an impartial way to all beginners wanting to learn about the choices. 

I see the poll problems. Personally, I would prefer a simple declaration when voting, declaring that this vote is the single one from the RL person in this poll. Cheating the vote should have consequences, e.g. all accounts participating in voting fraud, and all accounts known to be related to being excluded from any further voting, other disciplinaries reserved. It should be clear that such conduct would not be taken lightly.

It would be similar to the account sharing rule. To my knowledge, it is not policed excessively so that friends can sometimes give access without a lot of bureaucracy. But abusers can never be sure not to be caught and punished. Given that the waste majority of the players complies such policy might suffice and make complicated changes unnecessary

I hope this clears up my intentions with regards to a merge. The TL;DR is "it's not a 'never', but it's certainly not any time soon".

Ok understood 😎, thanks again.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Yet I would plead to remove all unfair restrictions against new players to freely choose their cluster, mainly disadvantaging SFI. At the moment, there is still a "sticky" post strongly dissuading settling on SFI or "the old servers" in steam discussion forum, that should go (as non sticky) now, as it is from June or July 2020.

Further on possibly (I saw them last I made an alt which is some time ago) there are still "advices" e.g. to prefer Cadence even over Harmony, without any fair mentioning of SFI. As player count on both clusters is practically on par there should be no informational post favoring one cluster over the other. Rather, there may be an informational "sticky" post in steam forum as well as here in CA help forum explaining the differences of both clusters in an impartial way to all beginners wanting to learn about the choices. 

This is certainly doable. I'll bring it up internally so we can address it.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Keenan said:

So, let me shed some light on the possibility of a merge and what it will actually take.

There are technical challenges here that haven't been present in other clusters:

Then there are other concerns:

• What of the effects on the economies? In particular, SFI's economy would literally transform NFI's economy overnight - for better or worse.
  • What of the effects on the people in both clusters? This thread is a testament to the fact that opinions are split.

These concerns and challenges are the primary reasons why a merge is not in the plans for the short term. Long-term remains to be seen, but we'd be talking beyond a 6-to-9-month timeframe if we do this. The sheer code work involved alone will require scheduling, and we have a lot of work on our plates already.

With regards to conducting a poll, one thing I've asked of the development team is to dust off the in-game voting mechanic and figure out a way to deduplicate votes from alts to have a more fair and accurate account of what the player base wants. I do not want a person with more money or silver to weigh more heavily than a person who simply keeps a single account going, so it's important to me to get that right. This isn't our highest priority at the moment, with the coming update taking precedence.

Edit: One other thing I would likely see us do before a merge is to allow travel to Epic first. Again though, there are code complications that must be handled first. This is why it isn't possible right now.

Yes i understand that but skill transfer to SFI from NFI can be really nice if ppl want to move back to souther servers to their main accounts. some ppl start playing on NFI because think it will be something other with steam release(big numbers etc) but it comes to the same like on SFI and i know a lot of ppl they will be happy if can move their NFI toon to others accounts they got.