Sign in to follow this  
Shagsfamily

NFI / SFI Portal similar to Epic Portal

There has been alot of discussion about weather or not  NFI and SFI servers should be connected.

there are some players that feel strong on the verdict either way and creates alot of heated arguements by times.

ppl are worried about crashing the markets, while others worry about being overwhelmed with the changes.

I do have a suggestion to make and its quite simple actually....

Why not make a NFI ? SFI  Portal similar to the original " Epic Portal " . Anyone may use it to choose a steam server to teleport to and start with no skills as was originated for " Epic ". This would prevent any high skilled player from taking advantage of new players but we could still visit our friends or start a new.  we would still have access to all our money between servers as " Epic " allows but can't take anything back and fourth as set in the original Portal system allows.

we could visit our friends as ourselves and not need to make a new Alt causing ppl not to know us .

Please let the Devs know what ya think of this idea.

Edited by Shagsfamily
  • Like 2

i had been thinking about this very subject, and that just solves that handedly in my mind. amazing idea - +1

• Like 1

-1 as it would create a ton of issues. At the moment, bank systems of both clusters are divided by the namespace only. Once a player can cross over like to/from Epic, he or she could spend funds on both sides. This would allow SFI veterans to transfer funds to NFI, and the ruthless profiteers on NFI who amassed funds there using their experience over newcomer crowds could cash in their prey in SFI. 

Not that this can be avoided in the long run. But there is no point to grant this privilege to the silver wealthy while hindering normal NFIers to explore the larger Wurm world using their abilities and belongings earned there, and SFI players just to extend their travels and meet the other community.

And any complicated rules compromising banking and account management, certainly introducing new bugs and crashes before stable, please NO.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

-1 as it would create a ton of issues. At the moment, bank systems of both clusters are divided by the namespace only. Once a player can cross over like to/from Epic, he or she could spend funds on both sides. This would allow SFI veterans to transfer funds to NFI, and the ruthless profiteers on NFI who amassed funds there using their experience over newcomer crowds could cash in their prey in SFI. 

Not that this can be avoided in the long run. But there is no point to grant this privilege to the silver wealthy while hindering normal NFIers to explore the larger Wurm world using their abilities and belongings earned there, and SFI players just to extend their travels and meet the other community.

And any complicated rules compromising banking and account management, certainly introducing new bugs and crashes before stable, please NO.

Even if we couldn't use our currency there and Just teleport would be nice

it will probably be merged in the near future. I dont buy any hypocritic stuff regarding this anyways, as there are more skilled players in NFI that SFI has due to unlimited sleep bonus, coffee and other stuff that was exploited big time. 

I think it would be good for the game — if not for individual merchants — for the servers to be merged. 

I'd like to see an intermediate map where the north side connected to NFI and the south side to SFI, lots of dangerous stuff in the middle, and no deeds or starter town. This would make the journey non-trivial, and the launch of the new server could be an interesting event. But that's just me.

• Like 4

-1 If players on both servers agree to, I would suggest for a proper connection, like the servers are connected now, without any unnecessary twits that won't accomplish anything else then annoyance

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tor said:

-1 If players on both servers agree to, I would suggest for a proper connection, like the servers are connected now, without any unnecessary twits that won't accomplish anything else then annoyance

I suggested that before as a unification event: A temporary server (call it Atlantis 😎) accessible from either side but only southern part for NFI, and northern part for SFI, not deedable, no teleport south-north or vice versa, with eastern/western end not sailable, and steep mountain ridges across all of the continent. Either side would have to mine, dig, surface mine, bridge in order to create a connection. Once that is achieved, the cluster borders would vanish, and the continent become unstable and sink to the ground of the ocean (aka being removed). That was the idea. Making lot of PR noise before start ofc.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 11:23 AM, Shagsfamily said:

Why not make a NFI ? SFI  Portal similar to the original " Epic Portal " . Anyone may use it to choose a steam server to teleport to and start with no skills as was originated for " Epic ". This would prevent any high skilled player from taking advantage of new players but we could still visit our friends or start a new.  we would still have access to all our money between servers as " Epic " allows but can't take anything back and fourth as set in the original Portal system allows.

The only downside to this that a friend mentioned to me is that say you have level 90 in all skills and transfer over to the other cluster with no skills, you then spend a large amount of time getting all your skills to 50, now the Wurm devs decide to merge the clusters and all your stats jump to 90, I guarantee that most players who experience that will complain about wasting time. I think the devs are scared of that outcome and don't want to risk it even though I think they should just disclaim that this could happen and not worry about it.

Now you can say well then lets have the portal log you into another character that's on SFI. I think that'll be more inconvenient than closing the client, so ideally I think Wurm should just have a character select in the Esc menu that allows you to hop over to an SFI character in an instant without needing to close the client. 

-1, It would make the future merger far more complex if accounts can have differing stats on both clusters. And then there's the bank, this would allow money to suddenly flow freely between clusters even though items can't. There's a pretty good chance that one of the two clusters will then see a drop in silver as it flows to the other (most likely from north to south), potentially leaving one of the two economies starved for currency. At that point you'd do far more damage with this suggestion than with a full merger and might as well just go all the way to begin with.

• Like 1