Sign in to follow this  
rangerklypf

Classic Wurm Server (2004)

Roast me... This is kind of a thing that lots of games have been doing lately (EverQuest's Project1999, World of Warcraft Classic, Runescape's "Old School RS or 2007scape"). I'm not talking about a re-master but a single old-style server that will see very sparse updates if any at all, where the game is as it was since its most stable release in 2004-2006. I'm talking "everyone has the same avatar", trolls were a solid green color, only single-storey buildings, we rode our horses like surfboards back then... make it Premium only if you want to discourage new players from going there, I'll pay to play 😛 would love to see something like this, even if it were only one chaotic PvP no mans' land with no deeds allowed or literally anything at all in a "vanilla" Wurm. Now, I understand that it would be a buggy nightmare, probably a PR fever dream with all the since-patched exploits, but I can dream!

• Like 1

if we can make fountain pans again i'm in....   i thought the same thing a portal server NFI and SFI could all join and play like the old days.  buildings on 8 slope since only single stories.  i used long buildings as walls.  i'd hate if it was forced pvp though.  opt in pvp i'd be good.    asherons call had  /pklight  feature you can toggle on and it stays on for 1 hr i think till you can toggle off  

• Like 1

I don't think anyone realises how bad wurm was back then 

+1 free rose tinted glasses 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Archaed said:

I don't think anyone realises how bad wurm was back then 

+1 free rose tinted glasses 

2006 Wurm was prime Wurm

• Like 3

The introduction of oldschool, while it produced a momentary uptick in popularity of runescape, in the long run divided the community and effectively killed the game

1 hour ago, Yggdrasil said:

The introduction of oldschool, while it produced a momentary uptick in popularity of runescape, in the long run divided the community and effectively killed the game

tbf the game hasn’t changed that much since then mechanically other than the fighting system, boats and horses. 

6 hours ago, Eyesgood said:

Do you think that code-base actually still exists?

yes… one can learn these powers if the look up emulators of Wurm. It’s an ancient Dark Side study that once should be careful.

3 hours ago, Yggdrasil said:

Make it a time-limited one then. Will just give a timemachine feeling to have us a glimpse of where Wurm came from. I'm too noob to have any experience of those times like anyone else who started playing Wurm when boats were already in ...

• Cat 1

meh, if you want to play that old-style, go ahead. Just don't ask our small dev team to invest any portion of their workload in making it for you.

Counterproposal. Wait long enough and just play WU

• Like 2

On 4/16/2022 at 7:25 PM, Jaz said:

Make it a time-limited one then. Will just give a timemachine feeling to have us a glimpse of where Wurm came from. I'm too noob to have any experience of those times like anyone else who started playing Wurm when boats were already in ...

Okay, that's a happy compromise I can get 100% behind 👍

On 4/16/2022 at 2:49 PM, Yggdrasil said:

The "combat evolution" while still using the older iteration's tick system killed the game. Made it like a WoW clone with 6 seconds between abilities in a game where combat is the only reason a great many players play, effectively revamping the entire system and alienating players.

"Private servers" where players could play for free on unofficially hosted worlds allowed people to experience the game as it was in 2007, and the most popular was actually called 2007scape lol Jagex didn't introduce the idea of bringing back the older version of the game. It was suggested by the players and ran with, because if someone's willing to pay money for something so easily produced, you know they're going to make an effort.

I'm not saying it would be easy to create an old school Wurm server because I doubt they keep backups handy for iterations that old, just that it would be neat.

On 4/16/2022 at 4:14 PM, Holar said:

tbf the game hasn’t changed that much since then mechanically other than the fighting system, boats and horses. 

It's true. It's the horse surfing and old models that I'm really missing. This could be as easy as adding optional settings that allow showing the old skin for all the mobs. Not easy per se, but easier than resurrecting ancient server backups