Sign in to follow this  
DemonaNightshade

Valrei International: A Sneak Peek at Exploration!

VI_chess_main.png

Hello Wurmians! It’s been a little bit since we’ve had some news ready to share but with the first part of the Exploration Update coming soon, there are a few sneak peeks I’m able to share with you all!

One of the things I’m looking forward to the most with the Exploration update is the new opportunity for adventures while looking for treasures. While this is a work in progress and treasure maps could look a bit different from this at release, I do have a sneak peek here for your perusal:

treasure_map.png

For those of you who hadn’t yet seen the Development Update posted by Keenan a few days ago, here’s some more information on the Treasure Hunts!

WurmForumDivider_Fancy_Top.png

When getting a rarity roll on actions like mining, fishing, and digging, you will have a chance at uncovering a lost map or clue to lead you to the location of a lost treasure. These clues come in several difficulties and types, each less common and more challenging than the last. The clues will include maps to nearby or farther away locations, hot and cold clues where you are told if you are getting closer or not since your last time checking, challenging clues leading you to a specific task, etc. The map clues are items that will visually lead you to a location and will come in varying quality levels, whereas the more challenging older maps may be missing sections or have been smudged or distorted by the hands of time. More difficult clues can have more than one step and may have creatures guarding the locations ready to pounce on anyone who dares to claim the rewards. Some rewards will be given at the end in a chest of treasure that can contain some new cosmetic items, rare metals like seryll, glimmersteel, or adamantine, and other valuable items.

WurmForumDivider_Fancy_Bottom.png

You can view the rest of the Development Update here:

WurmForumDivider_Plain.png

Another new feature coming with the Exploration Update may be an exciting one for those of you who enjoyed the ability to play checkers: playable chess, featuring some of your favorite critters and deities in the lands of Wurm

chess_black.png

chess_white.png

Which side do you like best, White or Black?

community_hosted_events.png

We do have an Easter themed impalong happening right now, located on Deliverance and hosted by VelvetSun. Those of you on the Southern Isles are welcome to attend and enjoy the holiday weekend surrounded by fellow Wurmians! 

Deliverance Renaissance Festival will be holding their Second Easter Weekend Impalong,

April 15th 2022 (Good Friday) 18:00 CET / 12pm EST until Easter Sunday April 17th 2022 22:00 CET / 4pm EST. For information about the event, check out VelvetSun’s post on it here:

WurmForumDivider_Plain.png

That’s it for this issue of the Valrei International. I hope to have a lot more to share with you as the Exploration Update nears completion, until then Happy Wurming, and a wonderful Easter to those of you who celebrate!

• Like 38
  • Cat 3

16 minutes ago, DemonaNightshade said:

When getting a rarity roll on actions like mining, fishing, and digging,

What about farming? Heard it was about farming as well...

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, elentari said:

What about farming? Heard it was about farming as well...

Farming was suggested by players but I don't believe it's been decided yet.

• Like 2

When could we expect this to be implemented. Very excited to load up my caravel and go on a vast treasure hunt across the lands. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zachariah said:

When could we expect this to be implemented. Very excited to load up my caravel and go on a vast treasure hunt across the lands. 

You know that's not going to happen. Whatever this is, it isn't that.

• Like 2

No easter eggs this year or skill gain bonus :( Rip

• Like 1

Anyone got clues on the place of this treasure map already?

Pretty sure they are not sailing on cadence because sharks are rare on cadence. 

Nice! That should be both fun and bring out the never-satisfied types... Like the chess board, and the treasure thing looks like it'll be interesting. Nice job

Please consider adding a sextant to the game that gives map coordinates and add a map making skill that allows players to make their own treasure maps...  and a way to bury your own treasures... to allow players to come up with their own future narratives..   while also being able to play along with the AI ones the developers have programmed in...   
Ultima online had a great example of a sextant.

A Sextant
Sextant - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Coach said:

oh i didnt know about the sharks! ty for info.  as per the fishing i thought its a rare even if it is a minnow.  i mean mining doesnt have to be exactly one type of vein or digging one type of resource.

unless I'm mistaken and each of those instances a minnow may be the ultimate rare map because it is overlooked...

ARR I'm just tickled pink yarr!

1 hour ago, Coach said:

that is a very good question. wish we had all the other animals.

Treasure maps will be such a great way to get players to explore. Would love to see this be emphasized a bit more in Fishing as right now fishing could use a little bit more. Maybe like 5-10% more likely to get maps/clues from fishing than other activities. 

1 hour ago, DaletheGood said:

Nice! That should be both fun and bring out the never-satisfied types... Like the chess board

Nah, someone will be upset fo is missing

• Like 2

This is a good opportunity to add value to MOIs that players generally think are wasteful. If I had my way, every single hourly window MOI would create a map drop chance. I would exclude MOI resulting from doing continue action with rare part and rare coin drop.

If these maps aren't tradable, please make them be so.

Be warned, folks are going to use computer vision AI to look for matches, or close matches, between a treasure map and a map dump. Wurm, I hope your prepared for this aren't going to get upset when players aren't actually exploring to find x-marks-the-spot.

• Like 1

Ooo I do love a nice chess set. Having one in Wurm will be enjoyable.

With my luck in fishing, I'll probably just keep getting boots... and not dragon armor boots 😭

I am glad to see that some of the ideas from Mods of Wurm Unlimited are making it over to Wurm Online.

The treasure map mod is a lot of fun and makes us get of deed and explore.
The way its done in Unlimited is you get a general direction and distance (think locate soul) so the map version for Online may be a bit easyer.
I know the Online community will enjoy it.

I also hope that the chess set saves the position of the pieces so you all can pick it up and play later.

Edited by axeblade346
  • Like 3