Sign in to follow this  
Synjor

Allow Runes to be Reclaimed

Attaching runes uses soul depth, why not give soul strength a small use in removing runes?

It'd have a lower success rate than attaching, with a failure destroying the rune. Even upon a success, attaching the "harvested rune" to a different item could still result in it being destroyed.

This would give more PVE value to soul strength, as well as archaeology by allowing players to potentially recover highly valuable Scavenger runes from otherwise trash items.

Would mostly just be another little thing to min-max equipment with

Edited by Synjor
Title
  • Like 8

+1 It is cringe worthy to see an improvement rune stuck on a pottery item that cannot be improved.

• Like 3

You can dispel runes, if you need them removed. Or you can attach other runes to switch them out.

@Nordlys 

I think the aim is to re-use runes that you find on archaelogy items but in a useless combination, like the mentioned improve rune on a pottery item shard.

+1

Edited by Bekador
  • Like 5

Maybe retrieve rune fragments from the items? That way it would not be OP hopefully

9 hours ago, Jaz said:

Maybe retrieve rune fragments from the items? That way it would not be OP hopefully

I feel like two separate high chances for the rune to be lost is enough balance, especially if reclaiming is made an even lower rate than attaching

This would give create such a great use for scavenger runes! I love it!! Could even make it so the ql of the item effects the removal chance, so that player's are incentivized to improve the item before removing the rune. Therefore, giving them a reason to skill too. 

cool to reuse 1-2 cool runes.. but still sad if we cant by no mean / skill and chance to apply more than 1 rune or replace runes on items with existing runeset of 2-3-4 runes(add whatever chance around skill and lunar alignment, rng jesus and so on to the actions)

I'm concerned that being able to generate runes outside of using rift materials would devalue rifts considerably.

48 minutes ago, jaytoo said:

I'm concerned that being able to generate runes outside of using rift materials would devalue rifts considerably.

Fair thought, though rift mats are not all too valuable on their own to begin with, considering how many players have managed to stockpile; even on NFI. 

That said, it is still important that scav runes wouldn't become the only thing used if they were too easy to remove and attach. My initial idea was tying the rate of removal to Soul Strength, and making it a more difficult action than attaching thus making actually retrieving scav runes a feat in itself. Then, having the chance of losing it upon failing attachment as well. If that wouldn't be enough perhaps removal of a rune would result in fragments rather than a whole rune, further increasing the overall difficulty of getting the desired rune.

Was just an idea I quite liked after getting frustrated over getting good runes on bad archaeology items haha. Now, this would just be a cherry on top of the balancing and reworking coming in the update.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jaytoo said:

I think you're overestimating rifts value tbh. Like previous comment said, ton of rift mats are already hoarded, don't plan on going to any rift and i have rift materials for life... Beside it doesn't need to be 100% success,  with having removal chance based on soul strength and then attachment chance based on soul depth would at least make same difficulty as making them of mats yourself... I believe there is nothing wrong with having multiple sources of some things, as long as one source isn't overpowered by second one

I'm unsure. I know that on NFI a single 90ql rift material can go for upwards of 80c. That leads me to believe that while there are those with a lot there are those with little or none. As late game players you would have a good amount as you probably have high skill to gather them and high end tools. But we still want to encourage newer players to attend rift events to help them get integrated into the community. Rifts need a rework in general and that is a different, longer discussion. I'll discuss the merit of this with other the devs but at this time I do want to keep doing everything we can to encourage players to go to the rifts. Integrating players with other the community is what makes the difference between someone picking it up and playing for 2 months vs someone playing for 20 years. For me at least, improving player base is the primary goal.

• Like 3

I don't know about on NFI. But SFI I don't really see a huge market for rift materials. Not the ones that make runes. We have a pretty big stockpile of the from the few rifts we have been to. 

I think you are missing how this could actually increase runes value and in turn rift materials value. Right now I mostly dispell runes off arch items and don't bother with them on tools i plan to use. 

Why? Because to get best enchants I have to dispell them. Which normally eats runes doing. So I don't bother. 

If I could remove runes with only a chance to destroy them I'd use runes more on my every day tools. 

That is assuming you guys aren't going to fix enchanting and dispel anytime soon.

With there being a chance for runes to be destroyed removing them I'd eventually need more. Ie use more than I currently use. Just a thought. 

On 7/27/2022 at 6:44 AM, jaytoo said:

I'm unsure. I know that on NFI a single 90ql rift material can go for upwards of 80c. That leads me to believe that while there are those with a lot there are those with little or none. As late game players you would have a good amount as you probably have high skill to gather them and high end tools. But we still want to encourage newer players to attend rift events to help them get integrated into the community. Rifts need a rework in general and that is a different, longer discussion. I'll discuss the merit of this with other the devs but at this time I do want to keep doing everything we can to encourage players to go to the rifts. Integrating players with other the community is what makes the difference between someone picking it up and playing for 2 months vs someone playing for 20 years. For me at least, improving player base is the primary goal.

Keeping rune salvaging as a high-end player endeavor would likely imho help this.

It keeps Rifts as a viable source of gaining runes, and it provides even low level archeologists with an additional source of revenue. They can now sell items with good runes to salvagers. Currently many such items are disposed of with little gain.

On a related note, I'm unsure if there really is even need for concern over the player market being flooded with runes. Granted past devs like Rolf have in the past attempted to keep enhancements (Enchants specifically) rare.

Edited by Karrde

For the Gods runes extracting runes sounds reasonable to me, as there are existing alternatives (dispel + new rune). For scavenger runes I fear that being able to extract and reuse these would become a new meta, where the point and RNG of Archaeology in itself would become obsolete.

4 minutes ago, Rishy said:

For the Gods runes extracting runes sounds reasonable to me, as there are existing alternatives (dispel + new rune). For scavenger runes I fear that being able to extract and reuse these would become a new meta, where the point and RNG of Archaeology in itself would become obsolete.

What if a scavenger rune always split into two runes when extracted, each with one of the effects?