Sign in to follow this  
Polojordan

Who Picks The Monthly Skin

I generally try to be optimistic, choosing to see the better side of things, or at the very least not view things negatively.  So I wont give my initial reaction to the new monthly skin, as some people would take it negatively. Instead I would like to say, I'm not impressed.

All 4 of 4 skins this year have been cosmetics for deed decorations.... Add some variety for the love of god.

If you need help with ideas for skins I'm sure the community would be more then happy to help give suggestions.

• Like 6

Personally I appreciate that they're adding more variety to the available decorations in the game

• Like 3

I like that there is more statues in the game, but I wish we had more just in the base game. Not requiring a skin that can only be got with prem tokens.

Would also be cool if there wasn't so many statue skins in a row lol.

But I like them either way.

Edited by Enuf
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, Aeris said:

Personally I appreciate that they're adding more variety to the available decorations in the game

I would agree, but the decoration skins aren't really being added to the game when they are just monthly skins. If only we could craft them!

With the current system I'd rather it was only for weapon and armour skins, just to avoid the pain of seeing gorgeous new decorative items locked up in the marks shop for a few weeks before they disappear forever.

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 2

I am hoping for a great helm skin is coming out in next 2 years and there's option i can chose a skin from wide selection of past monthly ones.  Other that, i don't mind and appreciate whatever is released, it's better then nothing

This will always be up to each individual player whether the skin is liked or not. 

Sofar there's been 4 shield skins, 8 weapons, 3 tools, 5 armour (other than shields), 1 storage and 3 decor like statues. Is every skin for every one? ofc not, not even close, to do that the dev team would have to speak to every single player and then the monthly skin would change to a 5 yearly skin at best. It's a skin, love it or leave it, thats what happen in other games, even in Fortnite. Their system is even tier based too, nothing wrong with that, thats how they partly base their income. Here atleast you got a chance to get that skin in one purchase - and thats it:) No never ending money sink, task sink etc

It's easy to always complain, i do it too. Let's not forget though - a skin is an extra for any game, Wurm too. 

It does look like these skins seem to come in "clusters".  Decorative items this year sofar, but lets not forget that when skins we're launched armour / weapons had an upper hand for 15 months (minus a hatchet in the middle - but even thats a tool/weapon too).

Sofar in skins there's a few in 2-handed swords and long swords. I want them all, i want to master all weapons - eventually. 

Dev team - just keep going as you do regarding skins, great job :) 

Edited by Elrohiir
  • Like 1

I wear that one all the time Trash :) Feathers and all  :) 

Ahoy !

4 minutes ago, Elrohiir said:

I wear that one all the time Trash :) Feathers and all  :) 

Ahoy !

that's not a leather cap, just an adventure hat or a "cloth hat made of leather".

Odd, are there patch notes hiding somewhere? I can't find any.

need more shield skins :(

poor shields being left out

• Like 1

Are skins easier to handle for the devs than adding new items altogether that can be crafted in a traditional sense?

Like some of the opinions above, I do wish there were more base items being added instead of a steady flow of "skins". By tradition, Wurm has simulated realism of items by requiring them be made of realistic materials per those items - not a "skin" slapped on an old item to drastically change its appearance. What is a "skin"?

It makes me wonder if skins are going to increasingly become the go-to for development instead of normal items that are crafted in their own specific ways.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Polojordan said:

I generally try to be optimistic, choosing to see the better side of things, or at the very least not view things negatively.  So I wont give my initial reaction to the new monthly skin, as some people would take it negatively. Instead I would like to say, I'm not impressed.

All 4 of 4 skins this year have been cosmetics for deed decorations.... Add some variety for the love of god.

If you need help with ideas for skins I'm sure the community would be more then happy to help give suggestions.

from my experience and the people i talk to, it seems like most people like them including me, not all of them offcourse but i do like that theres some special decoration out there that cant be found on every deed.

Give us your best idea, im courius :).

14 hours ago, Vorticella said:

I would agree, but the decoration skins aren't really being added to the game when they are just monthly skins. If only we could craft them!

With the current system I'd rather it was only for weapon and armour skins, just to avoid the pain of seeing gorgeous new decorative items locked up in the marks shop for a few weeks before they disappear forever.

Thats the whole point, hopefully they never make them craftable.

4 hours ago, Stinboi said:

Thats the whole point, hopefully they never make them craftable.

One of the things that eventually killed WoW for me was that every time I saw someone with a particularly nice mount or pet, I could immediately tell that it was one from the shop. I used to enjoy collecting mounts and pets, and when I saw a nice one I could find out what was required to get it and then go to work on that goal. That inspired countless hours of gameplay and huge satisfaction when finally getting the item. After a while, the best mounts and pets were always just shop items. That constant letdown killed collecting for me, and I lost interest in the game since that was one of the main things I enjoyed doing. Wurm is all about crafting and decorating our deeds, and we often get inspired by looking at what other people have done. As we get more and more of these limited skins on decorative items it's creating a situation where players are going to feel surrounded by things they can't have, just because they weren't there at the right time or they can't justify the price for the items. That disappointment adds up, and it's not good for the game.

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 9

Skins are a way to attract sales.  That's all they are for.  Developers develop things.  I think they have a program, database script, or such that picks a random item from a fixed sub-set of game objects decided upon years ago.  The picked item becomes the item someone focuses on to create a skin.  The list doesn't change to allow for repeat variances.  I would be surprised if there were an actual thought process that goes into picking the one for each month.  Having a monthly Skin meeting would quickly get old, I think.  Developers typically hate meetings.  But running an .EXE to see what gets picked is interesting and fun.  That would be my guess.

I'm not a fan of the statuettes skins, as until now different forms of statuettes each were their own craftable item. Adding some new ones as skins instead of craftable items doesn't feel very consistent to how this category worked so far.

Honestly the entire skin system is starting to annoy me the longer it goes on because so far, no matter how long ago the skin was introduced, none of the options have been added to the crafting system, while one of Wurms strengths is that players can pretty much make everything that you see in game... And I do have a pretty good stockpile of the skins I found interesting, so it's not like I want easy access to more skins, the current way things are run just doesn't feel like Wurm to me.

• Like 1

I don't think they should be added to the crafting system, but they should be available again on some rotation 

They should be available, you know that thing which is opposite of unavailable, for the benefit of your current, future or past customers and not much for resell value, or i am wrong about that? As it is right now, they are another "window of opportunity",

• Like 2

Our art developer decides and chooses on his own which to create. He's got an awful lot on his plate at the moment with the upcoming update, so give him a bit of slack until he's got a bit more time to come up with some more ideas :)

• Like 3

I don't mind the statuette skins at all. Better to have household decorative items than a tool skin that you'll hardly ever see, or a skin for a weapon hardly anyone uses.

1 hour ago, DemonaNightshade said:

Our art developer decides and chooses on his own which to create. He's got an awful lot on his plate at the moment with the upcoming update, so give him a bit of slack until he's got a bit more time to come up with some more ideas

I can personally appreciate what being overloaded feels like, and I for one am sincerely cheering the art director on with their heavy work load. But when I hear that I (or us as the customers/players) need to cut some slack, it's like....  ugh... How many times have we been told that over a wide variety of issues over the last year or better? It's just nails on chalkboard hearing that over and over... (just being honest)

I understand though that it's not staffs' fault that the world's best game is underfunded and understaffed.  😕

Thanks, Demona, though for giving some info on how it works. Appreciated.

Edited by MordosKull

On 4/15/2022 at 6:06 PM, DemonaNightshade said:

Our art developer decides and chooses on his own which to create. He's got an awful lot on his plate at the moment with the upcoming update, so give him a bit of slack until he's got a bit more time to come up with some more ideas :)

Please

Please

PLEASE

Just rerun the old skins for a bit instead then

• Like 3