Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Development Update 2022-04-07

Keeping communities isolated from one another is just a death sentence for one cluster or the other. See what happened to Epic when the one way skill transfer kicked in (and the mechanic is still in place. Freedom skills copy to epic but nothing gets transferred back now). These days maybe 24 people still play on Epic. 

Point is, keep those SFI and NFI separated for too long, it's only a matter of time until one of them starts dying off, and the remained of the population will most likely migrate to the other cluster to actually have players to play with. It's normal human behavior for an MMO. 

As for the updates, I am very stoked but also cautious. I am curious how those treasure maps will be implemented and what options we'll get for journal goals. But this is the type of content that will keep a vet like me in the game. So hope for the best ! 

• Like 9

Does the second update reward actual exploration?

Because it sounds like the first update will not.

• Like 3

On 4/8/2022 at 1:56 AM, Keenan said:

goblin camps,

This will break the game for sure lol. 

Quite ambitious!

21 hours ago, Maiya said:

Harmony (Founded July 24th 2020) server are currently cut off from all other servers 
Melody (Founded July 26th 2020) server are currently cut off from all other servers 
Cadence (Founded August 21st 2020) server are currently cut off from all other servers 
Defiance (Founded July 24th 2020) server are currently cut off from all other servers 

Technically you are incorrect, as these servers are all conncted to each other. This is how it was intended :)

My own personal opinion is the two clusters must be united, but maybe one year from now. The economy of NFI is still youngish.

Edited by CistaCista
  • Like 1

This sounds awesome! Very excited about the journal changes, especially being able to skip some things. I really did not want to build a colossus! Thank you for hearing us :)

Is the treasure chest like the archaeology cache where you use the clue to pull it out of the ground, or is it a chest sitting out in the wilderness that anyone can claim if they happen to see it?

10 hours ago, elentari said:

Point is, keep those SFI and NFI separated for too long, it's only a matter of time until one of them starts dying off, and the remained of the population will most likely migrate to the other cluster to actually have players to play with. It's normal human behavior for an MMO. 

The remaining players would most likely quit, not move.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, griper said:

Does the second update reward actual exploration?

Because it sounds like the first update will not.

Sounds like it encourages exploration and leaving the deed. 

1 hour ago, Archaed said:

Sounds like it encourages exploration and leaving the deed. 

It encourages leaving the deed, but that isn't the only element of exploration.  As currently described what it encourages is travel; explorations is then assumed but not actually encouraged.  

Picture the difference between someone IRL who puts a point of interest into their GPS navigator & then simply drives to it following the prompts, and someone who heads off that way just to see what is of interest to see and is happily sidetracked or waylaid because that is kind of the point.

Those who already leave the deed to explore get nothing from treasure maps because they don't get treasure maps or treasure by exploring.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TheTrickster said:

Those who already leave the deed to explore get nothing from treasure maps because they don't get treasure maps or treasure by exploring.

I already like exploring, and I'm still super excited about treasure maps. It's another reason to go out exploring and a way to get more out of it. What's not to like?

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

Hopefully we dont have to dig or mine to find the goblin camps.

We might just run into them while exploring.

I'd like to see some cross server treasure hunts for us that like to travel and take a week or so to do.

• Like 1

Will this journal entry addition an update mess up the amounts of journal completions any given player has at the moment?

10 hours ago, griper said:

Hopefully we dont have to dig or mine to find the goblin camps.

We might just run into them while exploring.

Yeah. Hopefully people that are priests can participate and aren't restricted because they can't do something.

Really nice changes, looking forward to all the exploration updates! Especially the journal redesign, as I've been working on the goals lately and have found it very restrictive and forcing me to grind things I would never do otherwise for way too long.

Being able to skip some tasks in a journal goal was the obvious solution I thought of, so I'm happy to see you're considering this, though I would perhaps suggest either being able to skip at least 2 tasks and have more of them in each goal (e.g. more farming/woodworking/nature-skill related tasks) or remove/rework some of the tasks. In one goal you e.g. need to both get a very high mining skill and a very high armour smithing skill, which discourages anyone who isn't focusing on metalworking-related skills to work on this goal. More flexibility would make the journal a more pleasurable experience, allowing players who want to pursue the journal goals to specialize rather than all become jacks-of-all-trades and I like the path you have planned.

If possible, it would also be great to have a UI redesign of the journal system, as currently it feels hidden and inaccessible, just because of the UI and the journal feels like a feature where a better UI could easily make it so much more attractive for players to take part in (and find in the first place). Displaying the goals in a more modern way (with graphical depictions etc.) would help, but also something as simple as displaying progress on the tasks that require an amount of something to be completed (e.g. 12/15). But of course a more balanced journal would be more important first.

Thank you for the update and I'm happy to see the new approach of more frequent smaller updates, both for the dev team and the health of the game!

Edited by Limewood
Added some more suggestions.
  • Like 1

My only request is that any exploration feature takes into account how big Xanadu is. Any "search nine map squares" treasure hunt ain't going to get done.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ajala said:

My only request is that any exploration feature takes into account how big Xanadu is. Any "search nine map squares" treasure hunt ain't going to get done.

Never live on Xanadu :) Let it be for weirdos. (I love it)

Anything new at this point is great, i guess.

We kind of have a "rift camps" already that's been pretty much waste of time. Are we getting the same thing but with different mobs now and with better rewards? if so, why didn't increased the rewards for the rift camps already by now

7 hours ago, Tor said:

We kind of have a "rift camps" already that's been pretty much waste of time. Are we getting the same thing but with different mobs now and with better rewards? if so, why didn't increased the rewards for the rift camps already by now

Those were just appearances though? I strongly hope that the goblin camps are an infrastructure.

Rift scouts give rift points, pretty much the only way I get them haha. 

Tbh I'm keen and hopeful for all of this, I'm not expecting perfection at launch, and all the really good mechanics have gone through rounds up tweaks, but I think this is going to be great for getting people out and travelling! 

On 4/9/2022 at 8:37 PM, Vorticella said:

I already like exploring, and I'm still super excited about treasure maps. It's another reason to go out exploring and a way to get more out of it. What's not to like?

Oh, I definitely like the treasure maps, but I don't believe that "another reason to go out exploring" is necessarily true.  You can't find treasure by exploring, or maps.  You get maps from non-exploring stuff and you follow directions/hints/clues to go get the treasure.  I think "leaving the deed" is a bit conflated with exploring.  We exploring types will still explore, and likely use treasure maps as an excuse/method to explore particular areas.  Those who aren't currently inclined to explore will probably treat this in a vaguely grindy way (not a criticism, just an opinion).  I think part of the problem is that "exploration" is itself a very nebulous concept in Wurm.  I love exploring, but found I really don't like archeology much because to me it seems to be just grinding while outdoors.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Oh, I definitely like the treasure maps, but I don't believe that "another reason to go out exploring" is necessarily true.  You can't find treasure by exploring, or maps.  You get maps from non-exploring stuff and you follow directions/hints/clues to go get the treasure.  I think "leaving the deed" is a bit conflated with exploring.  We exploring types will still explore, and likely use treasure maps as an excuse/method to explore particular areas.  Those who aren't currently inclined to explore will probably treat this in a vaguely grindy way (not a criticism, just an opinion).  I think part of the problem is that "exploration" is itself a very nebulous concept in Wurm.  I love exploring, but found I really don't like archeology much because to me it seems to be just grinding while outdoors.

I guess it depends what you mean by exploring. If you're thinking of aimless wandering just to see what can be seen, I'm not sure any game mechanic would encourage people to do that if they aren't already inclined to. That seems like a personality thing.

When I leave the deed for whatever reason I usually do some kind of exploring along the way. I do enjoy aimless wandering just to see what there is to see, but I don't often go out without some other reason first. The map would act as a nudge to get off the deed and some exploration would be a likely "side effect" of the treasure hunt. Of course some people will have tunnel vision and just go straight to the treasure and home again, but they will still end up visiting different parts of the world on the way and for some that counts as exploration.

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

I hope you figure out how to do a "claim" button.

Im not a very active player and doing journal is pretty much a waste of SB for me because I have too much of it usually.

Exciting😄