Sign in to follow this  
Keenan

Development Update 2022-04-07

4 hours ago, Keenan said:

Treasure Hunting

When getting a rarity roll on actions like mining, fishing, and digging,

When you say digging, does this include dredging as well ?

For the "And Beyond" section, can we have skill gain/affinity for using a trowel? 🙃

Edited by RAWRsillydinos

I agree to the pleas to include farming into the actions triggering an exploration event. It perfectly fits immersion wise, pulling something out similar to digging. Moreover, while digging and mining (not sure about fishing) may produce more or less sensible rare items (rare dirt for large planter, kiln, and charcoal pile, some rare ores/lumps for certain clothes etc., rare shards at least for last bit imping), farming MOI are but a source of frustration or amusement, else completely useless. 

Edit: And thanks a lot for the information, Keenan. Great work.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 4

The exploration update sounds good, but I have a couple of questions:

1. How are these goblin camps and religious sites going to spawn in the servers? 

2. Will the camps/religious sites alter the landscape permanently when they do spawn?

3. Can you deed over them? 

4. Will these camps/religious sites change locations periodically or be stationary in the same spot when spawned?

1 minute ago, Nukacola said:

The exploration update sounds good, but I have a couple of questions:

1. How are these goblin camps and religious sites going to spawn in the servers? 

2. Will the camps/religious sites alter the landscape permanently when they do spawn?

3. Can you deed over them? 

4. Will these camps/religious sites change locations periodically or be stationary in the same spot when spawned?

Given it's the "and beyond" I'm sure the answer is "we don't know this yet, it's still in design" 

• Like 1

Thanks for new information, Keenan.

Pease to include all now useless rare rolls,  what we get now when we  do example,  praying or first aid into the actions triggering an exploration event.

Since the technical basis of Wurm is atrophying with every passing month:

Java/JFX 17 when?

(fixes several causes of crashes on Windows and Linux)

• Like 1

I really like the idea of the treasure hunts - what I suggest there is to not just "create-and-forget" it as I'm sure that it will be keeping it interesting on the long run only if from time to time new types of challenges are introduced.

Perhaps a very long shot but I really really very much enjoyed the GM created treasure hunts in the past, those multi-step events were incredible. Of course we cannot expect a similar depth logic-generated hunt but a simplified version maybe?

In addition to the map/clue rewards from actions is there a chance to trigger them by passing a random tile / entering a cave? I mean the way how the surprise tile trigger rewards already work.

The Journal sounds great. I allways found it a bit to generall/do everything if you want to fit it in your playstile and it helps if you can skip at least one task to be a bit more open.

Tressure hunting sounds good. It will highly depend on the reward/time investment if it will be picked up so I guess we will run in a lot of reward balance after the releas. My suggestion is to have it a bit lower at the start and when to few people do them to increess it. If they are to good people feel forced to do them and if they nervt after wards people will complain about you "taking" away a good thing (even if its way to good for the time investment) or complain that old player are over prefared since they got the shiny reward and new player not after the nerv.

I think the people that suggestet Farming and Prayer are right since this are two realy often used actions without a reward for a MOI (if its still work like WU code a MOI on praying have a 1/49 chance of a prayer relatet reward insta of a 1/50 so yeah it techicly dose "somthing")

And beyond well I guess you will implemnt the camps similar to HotA on defiance I guess? Since everything decays I would say you could also include some building structures in realy low QL to leav some marks of past camps for a few month.

I wonder how it will end up but I wait for more infos on that one since its propably not coming befor autum I will not think about it to much.

1 hour ago, Batolemaeus said:

Since the technical basis of Wurm is atrophying with every passing month:

Java/JFX 17 when?

(fixes several causes of crashes on Windows and Linux)

Do they have to buy licence for those versions to use or is free?

9 hours ago, Keenan said:

We are splitting the Exploration update into two updates to get everything done.

These updates will be related, with the second one building on the first,

but this way, we can give you all a reward for your patience and take the time needed to make something that we can all be proud of.

As I suspect Exploration will push into late spring or early summer for the second update

I hope this post helps shed some light on what is coming in the future, and as always, please let us know what you think!

Happy Wurming!

This updates we will get here sounds all great :)

BUT

The biggest exploration wurmians can get to do is merge  NFI with SFI 

So please dont forget to include that, atleast in the second part

And if not, then be open with if you intend to merge servers or not

it soon be two years we al lived apart from each other, so its really time to merge now

Spoiler

Pristine (Founded Dec 12th 2012) wasn't connected to freedom cluster 1 for one and a half years
Release (Founded Dec 18th 2012) wasn't connected to freedom cluster 1 for one and a half years
Xanadu (Founded June 3rd 2014) was isolated from the other servers for a few weeks

Harmony (Founded July 24th 2020) server are currently cut off from all other servers 
Melody (Founded July 26th 2020) server are currently cut off from all other servers 
Cadence (Founded August 21st 2020) server are currently cut off from all other servers 
Defiance (Founded July 24th 2020) server are currently cut off from all other servers 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Maiya said:

This updates we will get here sounds all great :)

BUT

The biggest exploration wurmians can get to do is merge  NFI with SFI 

So please dont forget to include that, atleast in the second part

And if not, then be open with if you intend to merge servers or not

it soon be two years we al lived apart from each other, so its really time to merge now

Hide contents

Pristine (Founded Dec 12th 2012) wasn't connected to freedom cluster 1 for one and a half years
Release (Founded Dec 18th 2012) wasn't connected to freedom cluster 1 for one and a half years
Xanadu (Founded June 3rd 2014) was isolated from the other servers for a few weeks

Harmony (Founded July 24th 2020) server are currently cut off from all other servers 
Melody (Founded July 26th 2020) server are currently cut off from all other servers 
Cadence (Founded August 21st 2020) server are currently cut off from all other servers 
Defiance (Founded July 24th 2020) server are currently cut off from all other servers 

I don't think sfi and nfi should ever be connected. Let the communities be their own unique ones. 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Archaed said:

I don't think sfi and nfi should ever be connected. Let the communities be their own unique ones. 

This tbh

• Like 1

@ Maiya 

What would change in the exploration sense if the clusters would be merged? Almost nothing ! People are rarely leaving their deed at all. Server crossings happen for unique slayings and getting additional sleep bonus when a rite is cast. Let them first set up a reason to go out of your save deed zone so people actually have a reason to explore. And then there is the issue with Epic and Defiance. Give both cluster acess to both and how? They work on a different ruleset. Not to mention the economic difference which separate both cluster.

Better never merge them.

Edited by Bekador

Yes dont merge! Is more fun to complete this challenge: have the playerbase split in as many isolated clusters and then try to have them all be the same pop as Epic at the same time :) We can do eeeet!

Game needs content more than mergers/non mergers so i am guessing they are doing the exploration update as content for early game (since they said newbie journals and stuff) and the pvp update as a way to set up content for end game which in the context of having a small dev team makes perfect sense.

Now let them work.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cipacadrinho said:

Do they have to buy licence for those versions to use or is free?

Depends on the vendor. JFX was spun out by Oracle and is developed separately, but it's GPL licensed with commercial support available from Gluon. OpenJDK is also GPL and a large chunk of the mindshare has moved to the Eclipse Foundation. So the two major dependencies of Wurm have escaped the taint of the Oracle JDK.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this update Keenan, this is going to get folk excited again!

There are so many playstyles, I would like to see as many people involved as want to be, but no-one should be forced to fish! ;)   

Map fragments should be found everywhere there is interaction with the terrain, or focus on the ground, as well as digging and mining, please consider:

• Foraging as @TheTrickstersays
  • Botanizing
  • Archaeology - I don't buy the excuse that Archaeology has enough 'fun' in it or is enjoyable enough already - if something even more enjoyable such as treasure maps can be added cheaply and is fun to play - let's jump on the opportunity!
  • Tracking - currently sadly lacking
  • Farming as @Spacysays
  • Grass cutting / haymaking
  • Levelling - not just digging, many of us don't just dig.
  • Dredging - as @perjisays
  • Surface mining (not just underground) in case this is not obvious! :) 

I am sure you can think of others, lets include as many different kinds of players and playstyles as possible! :) 

Edited by Muse
  • Like 10

This is perfect thank you adding this new feature. Been along time waiting. Always did enjoy quest in a game. You guys rock 

3 hours ago, Archaed said:

I think sfi and nfi should be connected in future. Having split communities and seperate worlds is dumb.

• Like 4

Wow that sounds amazing -- looking forward to seen it all come together!

Regarding the merge:

Do keep in mind that all MMOs, but especially small ones, rely on network effects and the perception that there are other people playing.

Encouraging people to travel is generally a good thing. It means more people interact and meet.

Dividing a small player base into two smaller chunks means there is less potential for interaction in both populations. For a small MMO, this is a disadvantage. For Wurm, it's already exacerbated by the large count of servers and the huge land mass players are spread across.

Keeping the barrier between SFI and NFI is simply inadvisable for a small MMO like Wurm. It's a self-inflicted handicap.

Lifting the barrier may lead to a short-term reduction in premium characters as people let superfluous alts lapse, but I'm very confident that it would be a long-term beneficial decision.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, kochinac said:

I think sfi and nfi should be connected in future. Having split communities and seperate worlds is dumb.

I totally agree on a merge.
Or else separate GL also so we don't get to interact in chat either if we are not going to be one community.

• Like 10
  • Cat 1

6 minutes ago, Cecci said:

I totally agree on a merge.
Or else separate GL also so we don't get to interact in chat either if we are not going to be one community.

I agree +1

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Bekador said:

@ Maiya 

What would change in the exploration sense if the clusters would be merged? Almost nothing !

then it doesnt matter for you if there is a merge or not   

BUT for us that want one it DO matter alot  :)

• Like 4