Sign in to follow this  
Zachariah

Remove Old Teleportation Bulletin Boards

As most of you may remember, GMs and Devs used to use GM made signs that when examined they would teleport you to a specific location. These signs where used to teleport players with ease to specific locations across the servers for specific events. Those events could be treasure hunts or player made events (ie, Factional Fight Puzzle Labyrinth). 

I vote for removal of these old signs. They are great for the sentimental feel, however, they prove to be dangerous for newer Wurm players. An unsuspecting player comes by and examines the sign or uses the sign without knowledge of its purpose and they are stranded possibly thousands of tiles away from their home/village with no way of knowing how to get back. 

Now with that being said. I understand there are signs to teleport players back to the previous locations but what if the player cant find them? 

This happened today. A player over CA Chat had this happen. We where luckily able to help him find the sign back but what if he couldn't find it? He was on Xanadu and would have had to walk all the way back to his deed. 

These old signs no longer have a purpose and are just sentimental to remind us of a time long gone. So I vote to remove the signs or to disable their teleporting functions. 

• Like 1

The FF puzzle labyrinth is still in place and functional, or isn't it? If so, we should not remove the teleports. 

Are there more "magic signs"? 

• Like 5

In either case I'm aware of, there's a second set of signs which teleport one back to their original location, so being stranded to walk or ride back really isn't an issue. I live near the Puzzle Labyrinth, and do occasionally point out the return signs to people, which are then very easy to spot as they're fantastic and shiny. It's never been an issue for those who end up there accidentally, and there is an inn with free beds, food and donkeys hitched for those who want to stay and explore the area or Labyrinth. (The donkeys are "restocked" only so long as people aren't going to simply butcher three poor defenseless hitched donkeys, and need not be returned after use.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Burdok said:

What happened to natural selection? 

lmao

There's only one active set to the ff puzzle labyrinth which is still active. 

yeah, I'd want the ones to the Puzzle Labyrinth kept active as long as that place is active. It's a national treasure, and it should be easy for players to get to to check it out, and as Avaxas points out, there's a easily found sign to get back to where you jumped from.

• Like 1

Actually there is another set which is still active - to the old Labyrinth on Xana which was at the very middle on a hig mountaintop.

That one is also a legit and needed set, I have recently used it to clear the looooong list of unfinished mission progresses related to that event (as you can only do that by teleporting to the site, cancel the missions on the sign located there then teleport back using the designated sign).

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Zachariah said:

As most of you may remember, GMs and Devs used to use GM made signs that when examined they would teleport you to a specific location. These signs where used to teleport players with ease to specific locations across the servers for specific events. Those events could be treasure hunts or player made events (ie, Factional Fight Puzzle Labyrinth). 

I vote for removal of these old signs. They are great for the sentimental feel, however, they prove to be dangerous for newer Wurm players. An unsuspecting player comes by and examines the sign or uses the sign without knowledge of its purpose and they are stranded possibly thousands of tiles away from their home/village with no way of knowing how to get back. 

Now with that being said. I understand there are signs to teleport players back to the previous locations but what if the player cant find them? 

This happened today. A player over CA Chat had this happen. We where luckily able to help him find the sign back but what if he couldn't find it? He was on Xanadu and would have had to walk all the way back to his deed. 

These old signs no longer have a purpose and are just sentimental to remind us of a time long gone. So I vote to remove the signs or to disable their teleporting functions. 

That's 1 case.. if it happens again, and then once more.. or more after that.. then you have a problem to fight to lower frustration, right now you have 1 lost new player, aren't all new players lost by default anyway? :) 

The labyrinth teleports are absolutely still useful as you can still do the puzzle and get the reward as far as I know. Without these teleports, features like the labyrinth would be daunting to get to, especially on Xanadu. So please, keep the teleports active as long as the deed persists.

• Like 2

I went back to the old maze on Xan in hopes of finally finishing it excited that I finally had the time to get it done. However not realizing it was in decay I fell through a hole in the floor in the second half of the maze and had to use karma to get out. It would have been nice to at least have a notice of some kind that the maze was no longer functioning. I can see how many new players would easily end up stuck in a similar way. An easy fix would be to remove the bulletin board and send a mission cancelled notice to players like myself.

2 hours ago, Jaz said:

Actually there is another set which is still active - to the old Labyrinth on Xana which was at the very middle on a hig mountaintop.

That one is also a legit and needed set, I have recently used it to clear the looooong list of unfinished mission progresses related to that event (as you can only do that by teleporting to the site, cancel the missions on the sign located there then teleport back using the designated sign).

I tried this and cannot get back to the maze to cancel it so now I'm stuck with the looooong list that will never be finished. It annoys me every time I look at the missions and has often deterred me from bothering with the missions at all.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Katrat said:

However not realizing it was in decay I fell through a hole in the floor in the second half of the maze

I don't think you are referring to the FF Puzzle Labyrinth, which is still completely functional. There is another, older maze that is decaying though, but no teleport is leading to that one afaik. Or is there? 

11 hours ago, Yaga said:

I don't think you are referring to the FF Puzzle Labyrinth, which is still completely functional. There is another, older maze that is decaying though, but no teleport is leading to that one afaik. Or is there? 

Yes still teleports leading to the old one from Xana starter towns, I've used one myself a few weeks ago (to clear the abandoned missions on the sign there).

@Katrat, if everything fails I'm happy to teleport my priest there and summon you, let me know in forum PM if it would help you out.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Yaga said:

I'm referring to the Treasure Hunt maze on Xan that a little while ago I was able to teleport back to after it had already started to decay. I had no way of knowing that is was falling apart at the time until I fell into a hole in the floor that I was forced to karma out of. I did try to teleport to it again last night to cancel it and could not teleport to it anymore so hopefully at least no one else will get stuck that way unless it's just my toon that is blocked now. The point is I was indeed teleported to a non-functioning maze via the bulletin board. So yes I am in favor of the OP.

4 hours ago, Jaz said:

Yes still teleports leading to the old one from Xana starter towns, I've used one myself a few weeks ago (to clear the abandoned missions on the sign there).

@Katrat, if everything fails I'm happy to teleport my priest there and summon you, let me know in forum PM if it would help you out.

Thank you Jaz that is kind of you to offer and I may need that summoning.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Katrat said:

I'm referring to the Treasure Hunt maze on Xan that a little while ago I was able to teleport back to after it had already started to decay. I had no way of knowing that is was falling apart at the time until I fell into a hole in the floor that I was forced to karma out of. I did try to teleport to it again last night to cancel it and could not teleport to it anymore so hopefully at least no one else will get stuck that way unless it's just my toon that is blocked now. The point is I was indeed teleported to a non-functioning maze via the bulletin board. So yes I am in favor of the OP.

Thank you Jaz that is kind of you to offer and I may need that summoning.

Appreciate the kind words. Was just something I was thinking about last night. I was unaware all the old ones where still active and I was also unaware that the FF Maze is still active. And if you need any help getting out of there or anything at all let me know. 

• Like 1