Sign in to follow this  
Hazelspider

Did someone introduce you to this game, only to abandon you later?

I'm curious if other ppl had a friend or family member get them into this game only to run off later on.  My kid did this.  He may come back, he often does that with games. I seem to be left playing the games long after he loses interest.  Anyone else out there find themselves as the "last man standing"?

Started in 2009 with two of my brothers and a handful of the eldest brothers friends.

I'm the only one that has actively played the entire way through - two of the brothers come and go often enough.

I've gotten about 10-15 irl friends into it and only 1-2 still play, the rest all have put in a year or two and now I just recommend to friends not to bother unless they really have nothing else to do. 

YES

Mother######ers asked if I wanted to build a castle, I said yes, then they abandoned me. 

Still don't have a castle *grumbles*

• Like 5

While sad, this isn't unique to Wurm. Or to gaming.

I found the game by luck and i did introduce it to many people but at the same time, i do have lapses in attendance. This is perfectly normal.

We are not tied to one game, new games come out, we burn out, we sometimes have more important things to do than gaming all together.

I have never sold an account though because i always know that i will be back after a hiatus, however short or long it might be.

• Like 2

I'm glad I'm not alone.  I was afraid the title might be seen as pure negative when I meant it as more of a "were you able to survive after losing your initial game mentor and/or support person?"  I'm glad others have been available to fill this job, as I rely on getting pointers often.  I think this game can be brutal to a person who wants to go it entirely alone.  It really underscores that "everyone needs someone at some point". 

I started playing this back in August 2019, at first i bought the Unlimited to try it out. It was pretty complex and rough to start out with. Tried few starts to see if i can stick with it, but i decided to get Online, heh same thing. Then one day i had plenty of time to play, etc. Decided to make a Wildelf and roleplay it out. Did pretty well, but unfort i came across some bad players that i was mistreated or harassed, etc. Wasnt doing well for couple of months. Had issues with some players and decide to pack and go some place else and do the hardmode, like starting all over. So far i did enjoy playing that elf, but i just couldnt go back to her, after what i been through.

But i still like to play Online, but my biggest issues is crashing time to time, no one was able to help :(

We are not alone - been here since 2015. similar story, however i completely understand why my friend goes back and forth. Im glad for when i see him, and sad when gone. more glad now that i know im not the only one in the same situation.

I joined many years back, with a group of 6, after about 6 months most drifted away and sold the toons they had. I'm the only one from that group that logs in anymore, or in some years. I would love to see them come back, but I know it's not going to happen, though I speak with them occasionally. :(

I brought my friend in Mexico to try wurm a few years ago, because his computer struggled with modern games.

He struggled to get through the tutorial and joined me, and the last thing he said for weeks was "oh my god" while laughing and "I think my laptop is on fire"

Which was accurate, and he's not gamed since.

So kind of the opposite

The guy I was dating at the time introduced me to Wurm and the alliance I still call home, then abandoned it for more shiny games. We broke up a few months later, and I moved away with my daughter, but I kept up with Wurm and even tried introducing other folks to it. I barely remember my ex, but I'm forever grateful that he introduced me to Wurm.

• Like 3

I was introduced to Wurm by lovely local friend@Arsenicin 2013. 

He no longer plays.

Edited by belacane

Yes, he told me do you want to play Wurm Online? I was like, what the hell is that? Thinking it was something to do with worms. He lasted 6 month before leaving so now I play solo although I have another friend living close by which is nice.

I used to play Wurm Unlimited also though but coming back to Wurm Online is a wake up call when you see the timer on the actions you do. I enjoy building and adventuring out mainly, it keeps me busy but I can understand people who don't last long in Wurm, it is the most grindiest game I have ever played.