Sign in to follow this  
Skatyna

Funny idea regarding fires

Probably the longest shot ever, but why not:

Would be nice that environmental fire was added to the game. Like if you are camping in the woods, have a fireplace etc, and leave fireplace unattended (move say 20 tiles away from it while its still burning) there is a high chance that the woods will catch fire. If that happens you can use buckets of water to extinguish it or if you dont - the fire spreads and destroys all trees/bushes. Fire then stops on itself if there are no more trees/bushes 5 tiles around the fire tile to spread.

Update: 

On second thought, maybe 5 tiles spreading radius is too much, say 2 tiles from the fire tile is enough. Plus it would spread to nearby tree/bush tiles in the radius say every 3-4 irl hours, once it spreads, the old tile stops burning and tree/bush disappears. The burning tile could become temporary lava tile with the tree/bush animation on it that damages items/characters if standing on it like a lava tile and return to dirt tile once the fire stops or is extinguished. The smoke and burning sounds in local could be added much like lava spiders have.

To prevent the abuse and grief, it would either not spread into deeds, or if it does, spirit templars could be set to extinguish the fire on deed, so this way people with personal plantations would be safe. Also, skill dependant, so noobs with low firestarter skill could never do this, but skilled players with higher skills can, as they should know better lol.

As for the probability rate, winter months would be impossible, spring/autumn season very unlikely, but during the hot summer days it would be risky. 

Edited by Skatyna

Great idea, I'll just burn down the forest so I can raise my log prices!

• Like 3

Nobody who has ever played Don't Starve with me would EVER play Wurm with me if this were possible.

• Like 1

I remember a story from very long ago that something like this existed at some point (during alpha?) and that most of the server burned down.

Sounds like it would make for a very powerful griefing tool on PvE servers.

• Like 2

I see too many areas for trolling and griefing with this tbh

• Like 2

Sure, if they enabled pvp on all servers so consequences can work.

I like the idea but would be put off by the potential for griefing or genuine mistakes causing too much damage.

Maybe if the effect of setting light to the forest was either super rare or had a cooldown so it could not be repeated over and over?

Also limit it to only spreading a few tiles.

Edited by HawkHawk
  • Like 1

Would love for this to be an option; though, thats the old pvp in me talking.

Recal it being all kinds of fun in Minecraft. Dont recal it being in Wurm even when Notch was an active dev.

Offhand too much of an issue for pve; though, that can be handled various ways.

Update: 

On second thought, maybe 5 tiles spreading radius is too much, say 2 tiles from the fire tile is enough. Plus it would spread to nearby tree/bush tiles in the radius say every 3-4 irl hours, once it spreads, the old tile stops burning and tree/bush disappears. The burning tile could become temporary lava tile with the tree/bush animation on it that damages items/characters if standing on it like a lava tile and return to dirt tile once the fire stops or is extinguished. The smoke and burning sounds in local could be added much like lava spiders have.

To prevent the abuse and grief, it would either not spread into deeds, or if it does, spirit templars could be set to extinguish the fire on deed, so this way people with personal plantations would be safe. Also, skill dependant, so noobs with low firestarter skill could never do this, but skilled players with higher skills can, as they should know better lol.

As for the probability rate, winter months would be impossible, spring/autumn season very unlikely, but during the hot summer days it would be risky. 

Edited by Skatyna