Sign in to follow this  
Kiama

Stormfall: Low Tide

Update: This server has fallen into disuse. I had told the remaining active players that it would stay up for as long as they wanted it but they are also taking a break now. So this server will go offline on August 13th unless something changes.

la9RU9L.png

A freak storm leads your humble fishing boat to run aground on an unfamiliar island in the dead of night. In the distance you see flames dancing, but it is too far tonight. You tip your small boat over and shelter inside until morning.

You wake to the smell of smoked fish, a gift from the natives for you, along with some basic supplies to fix your boat. You are grateful, but need to find your way home.

You right your boat and drag it into the water, then look out into the vast ocean. Your jaw drops at how empty it isn't.

----------------------------------

Last night, Dynara had joyously celebrated the return of the Low Tide, as had all Stormfallers. Now a sadness filled her. She wished she could explain to you your bad luck. You will not be returning to your family. Every other century, the Low Tide protects this island from the Storm, but also seals off all but the 8 closest islands with walls of perilous shards raised from the seabed.

You start with a rowing boat, a tent, and crude tools. You are on the island of Stormfall, and there are 8 other islands to be explored on this 8k server, all with unique resources. Navigation, however, will not be the simple feat you may be accustomed to. It will be hard just to find somewhere you are content to start, and you are advised to not be picky to begin with. Remember: you have a boat, so much of whatever progress you make can be taken with you.

Expeditions

Starting on April 16th, 2022, at 2pm GMT, I am leading an expedition around the islands. We'll be a party of adventurers entirely made up of new characters made on the day, and of course you are welcome to create an alt to join in. We will be moving camp for 2 hours every other Saturday at the same time and we'll see how far we can get before 4pm GMT. Each time we move camp, a different person will decide where we go next. Let me know in the expeditions channel on discord if we should expect you to join. Please be there early if possible. And please be warned: we will probably be making do without clay for a long while.

The expedition will go on as long as there are people who want to move camp. Once there are no longer people who want to move camp again, I'll probably start a new expedition. The next expedition would be at a different time to cater to a different group of people. But we'll only have one expedition going at a time to consolidate players as much as possible.

Discord: https://discord.gg/QA8snwcabp

Settings

1x/1x

PvE

Characteristics start at 19.1

No religion

Alchemy

Only 5k animals across a huge 8k server

5% aggressive animals

Crop growth once an hour

20 hits per wall

Passive income of 2c per 10 minutes

Sorted Bulk Storage

Better Dig

Better Farm

Crops don't decay

Check fire burn time

Edited by Kiama
  • Like 3

I've been lost on my own server for hours. It being winter doesn't help. Nothing but shards as far as the eye can see.

reuUA63.png

Fortunately the terrain is very conducive to climbing. I am going to try to climb this and see what I can see.

UIoJ3Qv.png

• Like 2

So you shut down your other server and created.... an almost identical one? 

Judging from how many servers you owned and deleted so far, i'd highly advise anyone from putting too much effort into this one or into any other (future) server made by this person. 

As for "I obviously can't justify that with this level of activity." Let's face it, WU is dead, and i cannot see this or another one of your pet projects faring any better

Edited by atazs

6 hours ago, atazs said:

So you shut down your other server and created.... an almost identical one? 

Judging from how many servers you owned and deleted so far, i'd highly advise anyone from putting too much effort into this one or into any other (future) server made by this person. 

As for "I obviously can't justify that with this level of activity." Let's face it, WU is dead, and i cannot see this or another one of your pet projects faring any better

from my understanding the other server was connected "islands" so multi servers connected via boat travel,  didn't play the other server so maybe I am wrong?

this one is one large map, with some interesting and quirky areas, spiky land and the dreaded "shards"

Its always a risk, that a server goes down, but so far on this sever I am personally having a blast.

• Like 2

@atazsLet me get this straight, you are advising people to not try a server you know nothing about?  Talk about drawing a long bow.

I was on the previous cluster (which was NOT a series of launches and closes, despite what you ignorantly imply) and I am on this server, and I can state categorically that they are are not similar except in a very broad sense.  I had a great time on the other and I am having a great time on this one.

• Like 2

Many of us who still play the "dead" WU are perfectly fine playing on new servers, knowing they will not last forever. Personally, I almost always fizzle out before a server shuts down. I move on to the next fun new start and dig in :) Or take a Wurm break as I currently am.

• Like 4

On 4/8/2022 at 2:27 PM, TheTrickster said:

I was on the previous cluster (which was NOT a series of launches and closes, despite what you ignorantly imply) and I am on this server, and I can state categorically that they are are not similar except in a very broad sense.  I had a great time on the other and I am having a great time on this one.

I believe they are talking about how I have had servers before the original Stormfall. But yes, surprise, hardly used servers eventually go down. There's plenty of good servers and not many players to go around so my options are:

1. Pay for a mostly dead server indefinitely (in the last case, 6 servers)
  2. Give up
  3. Try to make something with a better unique selling point than the last time

When I started out hosting, I did idealise [1], but I eventually concluded it wasn't benefitting anyone.

I believe all my previous servers made me a better creator and a better host. Look at the first Stormfall: a concept that complex and involved and yet coherent could not have come from someone's first attempt at hosting. Yes, I have failed many times, but it seems clear to me that those failures have taken us to more worthwhile places.

• Like 3

Starting next Saturday at 2pm GMT, I am leading an expedition around the islands. We'll be a party of adventurers entirely made up of new characters made on the day, and of course you are welcome to create an alt to join in. We will be moving camp for 2 hours every other Saturday at the same time and we'll see how far we can get before 4pm GMT. Each time we move camp, a different person will decide where we go next. Let me know in the expeditions channel on discord if we should expect you to join. Please be there early if possible. And please be warned: we will probably be making do without clay for a long while.

The expedition will go on as long as there are people who want to move camp. Once there are no longer people who want to move camp again, I'll probably start a new expedition. The next expedition would be at a different time to cater to a different group of people. But we'll only have one expedition going at a time to consolidate players as much as possible.

Edited by Kiama
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Kiama said:

Yes, I have failed many times, but it seems clear to me that those failures have taken us to more worthwhile places.

<sigh>  I dislike that I am referencing Disney, but here we are.  There is a good concept in the "Meet the Robinsons" movie.  "You failed!  Congratulations!"

• Like 2