Sign in to follow this  
Pandalet

RMT Scams and You

It has come to my attention that there is an RMT scam doing the rounds.  If you've recently posted a WTB or similar thread, you may have been contacted by a brand-new account, saying he knows a guy who has the thing you want, and you should contact his friend by email.  If you do, you'll get a bit of to and fro, and then be offered something for real-world cash.

THIS IS A SCAM!

Needless to say, if you send any cash, you'll never see whatever it is you thought you were buying, and a similar warning goes for any personal details you share.  The best is to report the PM (on the forums, you can use the report link) and then delete and ignore it.  You can contact moderation staff for other channels as well.  Please be careful out there!

I have recently cleaned up one such account - if you received a PM notification email (with something like "I know a guy who has the XXX you want, you can email him at blahblah@gmail.com"), but then couldn't find the PM, that's because the spam account got nuked off the forums, along with its PMs.

It's also worth noting that trading any game assets for real money (i.e. real money trading, or RMT) is explicitly against the rules, and will get you banned.

• Like 47

If you have received a PM that sounds like the above, please contact the forum team, so that we can investigate - this will be something inviting you to email someone directly because they have a thing you've advertised for.  You can report the message directly (using the 'Report Reply' link at the top right).

• Like 4

Sign in to follow this