Sign in to follow this  
Saya

Project: Underground Highway

Hello people of Cele!

I am planning to start work on a underground highway system, in a grid, connected with bridges throughout the server.

Please post below any suggestions / changes you would like to see.

See my proposal below: please note I have not done any land surveying yet so am not sure if these cross through deeds.

o161YOB.png

• Like 1

Hey Saya,

This is an ambitious project and one that may try your patience. Doing such long tunnels would take a long, long time. There have been a number of people who have started long tunnels in the past on Cele (although nothing remotely as massive as you are proposing), and pretty much all of them gave up half way through. The resulting problem is that we now have a bunch of unfinished tunnels from nowhere to nowhere, which are half collapsed, but which severely hamper people's private mines under their deeds. It's an issue. There are also a few other issues that you would encounter. For instance:

• The lines you drew go under a number of deeds (including mine). All those deeds have private mines underneath and you would have do to a large number of complex detours. Those detours may be trickier than you realize, as you would have to carefully weave between deeds, most of them you may not even be aware of. Such detours would then play havoc with new deeds, where people would claim land only to realize there is a highway underneath and they can't have a private mine.

• You would have to reinforce every single cell of the tunnel, or the tunnel would simply collapse. Shortly after making it, it would be increasingly unpassable in more and more locations. Reinforcing such a number of tiles is... let's say... a job that I would not wish upon my worst enemy. It would take forever and require tons and tons of materials.

• The amount of veins you would have to mine out on the way would be staggering. And many of those veins are probably high quality veins that people of Cele could use instead, when they need them.

A project of such a scale would need a community to accomplish. Have a quick look at other projects on Cele (which you can find on this board) and how much time they took and how many people worked on them. And none of them were remotely of the scale you propose.

I would argue that before such a project is undertaken, you ask Cele inhabitants whether there is actually a NEED for such a highway system on the server. In my view, connecting the opposite shores is not something we would need here on our server. Hardly anyone ever makes such trips. The disruption of land under the server would not be worth it, especially since there is a strong possibility that a project of such a scale would be quickly abandoned, leaving scars under the land in wrong places.

I am sorry to be a party pooper here. But I honestly don't think Cele needs such a project. That's my view, of course. Others can chime in.

However, I do applaud your enterprising spirit. May I redirect your attention to perhaps improving the highway system on the surface of Cele instead? You can find out who needs better connections and help the server that way. People would actually use a good highway system much more often than long tunnels from one shore to another. There are also some water passages around the server that desperately need dredging. We don't mind traveling around the Cele. We don't need massive tunnels. The outdoors are fun to experience as we travel. But admittedly, there are quite a few sea passages that cannot be navigated properly and having them dredged to allow all ships would be a great, useful boost to getting around.

Edited by Valdor
  • Like 9

I know the area around p24 pretty well, including below ground. There are extensive reinforced tunnel systems around, there's no way you can tunnel straight through. Some of them are mine, including existing boat tunnels. Two highways pass through the area, one of them partly through tunnels, and there's really no need for more. I'd be extremely nonplussed by someone cutting through my mine network.

I'd strongly suggest a different project.

• Like 1

I  have to concur with Batolemaeus and Valdor. This project would've been a good idea in the early days of Cele, but I know of 2 places the grids go through that don't want highway through their deeds at all.

I have to add to this here the area that i circled around is pretty much offlimits for such a kind of mining for 1 the area north of it has its rock layer underwater for starters and 2 i am in the process of hollowing out this mountain and digging a canal around it

c8zd5yS.png

The entire forest of m13 to m17's rock layer is either 2-7 above water or underwater and similarly to a lot of the steppe as well as nice of an idea this might seem it isn't viable due to low rock to water levels in many of the area's you planned out for let alone the countless deeds you are going to hit.

I have spend a lot of time prospecting and making mine entrances before collapsing them around the sw and west mountains in my hunt for gold and let me tell you there are so many spots where you hit water before you hit a ridable rock tile once mined out.
On deli the underground highway system works because of its high rock layer but cele is just too low on too many places, yes we can do small stretches for sure but just looking at the map dump and comparing it to your roughly drawn lines it is not going to work in the way you are hoping for it sorry to say.

Edit: If you really want to make a underground highway system go fix deli's or go make one on xanadu but please dont try it on cele I have planned for one before and it does not work

Edited by wipeout
  • Like 1

iQaiKYu.png

New open for knarr's carts Wagons 

Edited by deskjet
update screenshot
  • Like 2

I am going to echo the words of Valdor, Batolemaeus, Pandylynn and others who live on cele.

I've lived, explored and been all over cele.

The rocklayer is at best low short of the mountains and a few key places, Deeds are all over the lines you've drawn and the people of Cele don't want or need another system that we wont use.

Start small, work on fixing the highway system, improve that and ask those on Cele if they need connections or want more before such an ambitious and extreme project.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Blacklotus said:

I am going to echo the words of Valdor, Batolemaeus, Pandylynn and others who live on cele.

I've lived, explored and been all over cele.

The rocklayer is at best low short of the mountains and a few key places, Deeds are all over the lines you've drawn and the people of Cele don't want or need another system that we wont use.

Start small, work on fixing the highway system, improve that and ask those on Cele if they need connections or want more before such an ambitious and extreme project.

This is a fair point as are the others that have given input.  A much better project would be to remove old roads and highways in favor of updating to a newer central highway system which currently used roadways could be linked.

• Like 3

Is it possible? Yes

Is it needed? No

Would it be wasted effort? Most likely

The only real cost to such a project is man-hours, since dirt and rock are free. Unfortunately the usefulness is questionable at best.

We already have a pretty robust highway system, at least in the South and SE parts where I live. The fact that it usually needs to go around bodies of water instead of through because there aren't enough long range bridges is just one of the quirks of Cele. There's plenty of other islands with a large landmass dumped in the middle of the map. I came to Cele because it isn't.

Yea, I also chose Celebration because of the water. I like sailing and everything to do with water, and the main roads in Cele are actually our waterways. A sailing boat here is as important as a decent cart. This is why I settled on Cele and I love that to this day.

• Like 2