validate

Steam deck and wurm online. Anyone try yet

Anyone try it yet I’d love it to work so I can play at work.  I’d spend 500$ to do that.  

• Like 1

couldn't you just bring a small laptop? its going to just as obvious your playing a steamdeck pretty much with how big it is and its even less stealthy because least on a laptop you 'might' be doing work lol

Edited by Jeston

Last i heard a decent number has been shipped out, but i would be surprised anyone here has one.

Would not mind hearing how it works though as the steam deck already had my interests and the desire of having a handheld console with wurm on it is not lost on me.

• Like 1

Wurm's UI can be rearranged fine, but input is going to be a huge issue. You'd have to do some intensive remapping in Steam input.

You may or may not have to run with some launch options to work around Wurm's horribly outdated runtime, but in general the game should run fine.

6 hours ago, Jeston said:

couldn't you just bring a small laptop? its going to just as obvious your playing a steamdeck pretty much with how big it is and its even less stealthy because least on a laptop you 'might' be doing work lol

Lol true. But my boss has one. So as long as my work is getting done. I might get away with it. Lol.  Although big risk of getting stolen.  

Biiiig difference between a laptop and a steam deck in terms of setup 

On 3/18/2022 at 7:26 AM, Batolemaeus said:

Wurm's UI can be rearranged fine, but input is going to be a huge issue. You'd have to do some intensive remapping in Steam input.

You may or may not have to run with some launch options to work around Wurm's horribly outdated runtime, but in general the game should run fine.

Given that the steamdeck has a more expanded controller scheme then the steam controller and I have made a steam controller profile for wurm in the past that let me play wurm properly and do everything ingame that i wanted to do while still feeling reasonable I highly doubt it will be a big issue given we got way more buttons to map and multiple types of inputs that can act as a mouse or wasd or arrow keys.

As for the second part wurm runs fine on linux steam os is a linux disto with proton and ui optimizations for a controller scheme but that is pretty much it, steam os can run on a normal device and wurm runs fine on steam os on pc/vm so im sure it will run fine on there too.

If steamdeck can play doom at high frame rate and new racing games at proper frame rates at high settings it can run wurm fine.

I want to get my hands on a steamdeck but living in nz makes it hard but when I do i will be sure to test wurm out on it properly and update my controller profile for the steamdeck button setup and share it too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wipeout said:

As for the second part wurm runs fine on linux steam os is a linux disto with proton and ui optimizations for a controller scheme but that is pretty much it, steam os can run on a normal device and wurm runs fine on steam os on pc/vm so im sure it will run fine on there too.

The Wurm launcher crashes on Wayland with a failed assertion (also within gamescope). Wurm crashes with ambient occlusion enabled on the version of mesa shipped on the deck. There's a race condition that opens the settings window 1px wide most of the time when run in desktop mode.

The launcher does run when launched from Steam even under Wayland thanks to the Steam runtime, but that doesn't help anyone with non-Steam accounts.

Also, gamescope and the settings window really don't get along.

On 4/1/2022 at 8:28 PM, Batolemaeus said:

The Wurm launcher crashes on Wayland with a failed assertion (also within gamescope). Wurm crashes with ambient occlusion enabled on the version of mesa shipped on the deck. There's a race condition that opens the settings window 1px wide most of the time when run in desktop mode.

The launcher does run when launched from Steam even under Wayland thanks to the Steam runtime, but that doesn't help anyone with non-Steam accounts.

Also, gamescope and the settings window really don't get along.

Wurm has always had more issues on amd based drivers so no real surprise on ao not working there.

As for the settings window what i have noticed is that wurm's way of window creation seems weird i have had this happen with streaming software and running standalone wurm via steamlink were it grabs the resolution as 1px as that window is that size before being set to its usual size(This causes issues too on other capture software and overlays) it does this for the launcher too and the updater for the launcher.

It is kinda sad to see those issues though :( but im still going to try when i can

Wurm has issues using OpenGL, yes.

The code for the settings window is pretty bizarre. It is completely unfathomable why it isn't resizable, for example. You can override that and it works fine, but in the code it specifically sets a fixed size for no reason. It is literally one line of code the Wurm devs would need to change…

A bunch of those bugs would be fixed if Wurm just used current versions of Java and JFX.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Batolemaeus said:

Wurm has issues using OpenGL, yes.

The code for the settings window is pretty bizarre. It is completely unfathomable why it isn't resizable, for example. You can override that and it works fine, but in the code it specifically sets a fixed size for no reason. It is literally one line of code the Wurm devs would need to change…

A bunch of those bugs would be fixed if Wurm just used current versions of Java and JFX.

Unless some support and functions are dated, dropped, replaced and it all requires some testing, rewriting, testing, more fixing, etc.. even if PTS client was providing the 'canary' environment where you just get to see and test all new stuff and you had a perk to crash and burn "daily" at the cost to see and try new things where possible in the same world.. idk if there's enough power to handle bug reports.. some of the posts for help in tech issues section have weeks to months/+ without any kind of staff response or vague trace of interest to assist with issues for the released client.

Hopefully there's improvement and reorganization for that in the future.

i own a steam deck, has anyone figured the best way to go about installing it? should i just try downloading via steam client

You don't have much choice there. The Wurm client installed by Steam uses Steam accounts, the standalone one uses original Wurm accounts. So the account you use determines what client you have to use.

You can make the standalone Wurm client open in "steam" mode, but the required invocations are pretty arcane.

I don't have the N-Gabe (yet), but the workarounds I posted in the tech issues forum should apply on the Deck as well.

If it's possible it's certainly not trivial yet.

The WurmLauncher for the standalone version requires installing gtk2, which requires disabling the read only mode on the filesystem, setting up pacman, and then installing the gtk2 package.  You'd also need to repeat this process every time the Steam Deck OS updates, since I think the file system gets overwritten except for what's in the home folder.

After installing that the WurmLauncher generated a few single pixel width windows on me which I had to right click on the task in the taskbar to get to the resize option to be able to even interact with them.

Once past that the launcher does seem to function fine.

Upon launching the game I briefly get the loading screen followed by a NullPointerException crash.  I assume when trying to draw the game world or something.

Edited by Theodis

Try replacing the Steam launch options with:

GDK_BACKEND=x11 MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.2 %command%

The NullPointerException is probably from the ambient occlusion shader using a thoroughly deprecated OpenGL function.

7 hours ago, Batolemaeus said:

Try replacing the Steam launch options with:

GDK_BACKEND=x11 MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.2 %command%

The NullPointerException is probably from the ambient occlusion shader using a thoroughly deprecated OpenGL function.

Awesome that did do the trick.  I think the Steam Deck actually runs Wurm better than my laptop.  I wish I could figure out what's causing the zero width window popups from the launcher though.  It makes it impossible to use the settings window.

• Like 1

You know I originally didn't think it would work out that well.  But I got a shortcut set up in Steam and gave it a shot without the keyboard and mouse and it actually plays decently well and was hitting a solid 60FPS for me with the default settings.  The on screen keyboard popup shows up at the bottom so I had to move the chat to the top of the screen so I could see what I was saying but it worked.  I haven't played too extensively yet but just sticking with wasd for the left analogue and the right analogue being the mouse with the left and right triggers being the mouse buttons(one of the default control setups for steam), it's pretty clean to move and look around and do mouse based interactions.  I imagine it would work even better after binding the many other buttons to useful hotkeys.

The setup process really needs to be smoother for the standalone version though.  I'm comfortable with Linux so it's not really a big deal for me.    But either the launcher needs to update to modern GTK or there needs to be an easier way to get GTK2.

The 1px-width windows are a bug in JavaFX. I haven't had them running with OpenJavaFX 17, but to run Wurm with a different runtime is a can of wurms. Keenan announced some movement on that front, so it should get better. And honestly, the GTK dependency is weird. Dynamic linking a game launcher is just not a good idea.

Also yes, Wurm on Linux runs really well if you get past the bugs caused by the woefully outdated runtime. Even with the weird controller mouse emulation Steam does.

i tried the simple instal via steam and press play, it crashes on load screen all the time.

I am playing on Steam deck and it works out of the box (at least the Steam version). However, Wurm unlimited require you to disable GLSL from settings (otherwise it will crash).

Here is my settings what I using. With these settings deck uses around 12watts (+2 hours when on battery).

In-game: medium settings, far view distance.

Deck: 40fps lock and 40hz refresh rate. 8 TDP cpu and 800mhz gpu.

While you are doing bricks change fps lock from 40 to 10. With this you can play on battery +6 hours.

There is a really good community made layout "Wurm Online Steam Deck V11" by Tobe.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am using CryoByte33/steam-deck-utilities mod to increase my swap file + chaning swapiness. Here is good video about this mod 

downloadfile.jpg

Edited by Vanni
  • Like 4

I bought a nintendo switch for now.  I read about the steam deck batteries not lasting long.  so I plan to wait 1-2 more  yrs. they plan to improve the battery.  

9 hours ago, validate said:

I bought a nintendo switch for now.  I read about the steam deck batteries not lasting long.  so I plan to wait 1-2 more  yrs. they plan to improve the battery.  

Battery complaints are from people who think you should be able to play 5 hours of triple A games on ultra. My battery life is better on the steam deck than it is on either of my gaming laptops. The performance on my msi is equal to my steam deck and obviously the alienware performs much better but also has inherently more battery drain.

With my  $40 battery pack I get about 3-4  hours of gaming most games. For pixel games or just using the PC function I get far more and if I am playing Elden Ring or Planetside2 in a large (100+) battle I get less.

• Like 1

I've been using the poor man's version of steam deck Wich is steamlink on my phone and a gamesir X3. Controller mapping works fine for wurm that way for those looking for other options.

The game runs fine out of the box for me. Highest settings, 60 FPS, all game features seem to work.

The only things I miss are proper touchscreen support and the virtual keyboard opening automatically. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the touchscreen to behave correctly. So it would be nice if a WO dev could spare some time to implement proper touchscreen support, maybe not only for the Steam Deck but also for Laptops. Without it the game is very hard to play, as you can't even drag/drop items correctly without using the control stick or trackpad.

On 8/1/2023 at 8:34 PM, Army said:

The game runs fine out of the box for me. Highest settings, 60 FPS, all game features seem to work.

The only things I miss are proper touchscreen support and the virtual keyboard opening automatically. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the touchscreen to behave correctly. So it would be nice if a WO dev could spare some time to implement proper touchscreen support, maybe not only for the Steam Deck but also for Laptops. Without it the game is very hard to play, as you can't even drag/drop items correctly without using the control stick or trackpad.

i wonder about adding a controler or those small keyboard and mouse.  i'd just want to be able to take it to work during my lunch, dont mind having a small keyboard to use.