Sign in to follow this  
Rockmodd

Petition to shorten rifts

Remove a wave from rifts?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Petition to remove a wave from rifts.

This is a petition to shorten rifts  by one wave. So 3 waves and rift master instead of 4 and rift master.

Edited by Rockmodd
  • Like 5

I say nay... Soooort of.

Four waves, but depending on the amount of people there the fourth wave could be a little shorter. People usually don't just show up at that wave so it'll be safe to curve it just a tad maybe depending on the people in local/within a certain amount of tiles when that wave begins.

However I can totally understand why people'd want to eliminate a wave.

1 minute ago, Samuraifishploo said:

I say nay... Soooort of.

Four waves, but depending on the amount of people there the fourth wave could be a little shorter. People usually don't just show up at that wave so it'll be safe to curve it just a tad maybe depending on the people in local/within a certain amount of tiles when that wave begins.

Yeah that could work too. I just think the rifts are a bit long. 2-3hr to commit to a rift is a lot, especially when its not during peak hours.

The current effort vs reward for rifts is very underwhelming, the only real reason to attend is to knock them off for your journal goal, so anything that improves this failed concept of game design is a bonus.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Samuraifishploo said:

5 hours ago, Rockmodd said:

Yeah that could work too. I just think the rifts are a bit long. 2-3hr to commit to a rift is a lot, especially when its not during peak hours.

There's already player scaling for rifts and it seems designed to keep it going for that 2-3 hour mark.

+1 to shorten rifts. One of the stand out requests for rifts last rework was for them to not go on so long, and instead they were made longer with a bad boss fight.

• Like 2

I don't mind the quantity of the wave's but i see the argument for having existing waves thinned out a little.

As (to me at least) the first wave and sometimes the second wave feel like a horde you are mowing in on for a little longer then is interesting.

The waves with more interaction and stuff like the turrets i enjoy and actually do not mind.

IMO: Half the time, increase the volume. Waves one and two are always a fart in the wind. 

7 hours ago, Madnath said:

+1 to shorten rifts. One of the stand out requests for rifts last rework was for them to not go on so long, and instead they were made longer with a bad boss fight.

Honestly I never understood whose decision was it to increase their length to wave 4 but clearly that person either doesn't play the game or doesn't understand the timesink and utter boredom rifts offer. 

30 mins or more to go to a rift and 30 mins back + 90 minutes (if you get lucky) , that's basically 2 and a half hours of your life for a measly moon metal lump and a few rift mats. Not to mention for those wanting to complete their journal goals, that's 100 x the same experience. 

Speaking as someone who did 100 rifts, I hate em. I hate em with a vengeance and I hope they get nerfed to hell or increase their rewards since the rift content is just trash at this point. There's no risk, the reward is minimal, they are boring as heck, and to make matters worse someone at one point made the arbitrary decision to make them worse....Yeah...Just cause I am so vitriolic on the subject I'll sarcastically suggest to add wave 5. Since when people collectively and overwhelmingly give you feedback on a certain topic, the management decision seems to be to ignore it and do the opposite at times. 

Add wave 5 . And six. This sentiment btw comes from a lot of things, such as the botched AH update which still has an insane amount of RNG and is still disliked by a majority of players. Probably 1/10 people actually like it. But 9/10 still see it as broken. So yeah. 

rift is indeed to time consuming and extremly booring so a big yay from me.

Looking at rewards we get from rifts, should be not 3 or 4 phases but one and only phase shoud be enough.

If you afraid that in this case people would farm rifts too quickly for lumps, then just extend time between rift spawns.

Rifts are boring, time consuming, poorly rewarding and leave some scars on the land. And you cannot even get decent skill from fighting mobs.

Edited by Wilczan
  • Like 3

I'm voting yes because rifts need to be shorter, but.

Halve the number of spawns in each wave.

OR

After one wave has been defeated, delay the appearance of the next wave by six hours

Edited by Sheffie

5 hours ago, Sheffie said:

After one wave has been defeated, delay the appearance of the next wave by six hours

What? no?

• Like 1

My vote is No, Until there are more ways for us psychopaths to release our dark desires to murder wurm mods this is the best way we have of doing so, Sure there can be some changes made maybe to improve the experience a bit like adding a wider variety of mobs and drops, but I don't think rifts were ever designed to be quick and easy. It is what it is, no one is forced to attend them.

I feel if you want to share from the benefits endure the grind like the rest of us, and if you don't then just don't go. More mobs for the rest of us to kill. 

I'm voting yes, and also think rift rewards need a redo.

As someone who arrived to a rift the other day just as it finished due to work after several players spent a couple hours closing it, and I sacrificed some hearts to help close it, I mined and prospected some crystals and shards as a player was asking why we were mining it. I explained why and he said he didn't have a pickaxe or a hatchet. Mid way through gathering I asked him to trade me, so I gave him a mixture of low-mid ql materials because he'd managed to get close to 100 points and received a single lump for his effort. Lower skilled players have no chance of getting any rift mats at rifts when a player like myself can show up and gather 30+ crystals, shard and wood in a fraction of the time it took him to help close it.

So sure, I could have not shown up, not gathered any mats, but neither would the player who forgot his tools.

Edited by Rudie

It's closer to 1+ hours there, 1+ hour back on Xanadu; which doesn't help improve things!

Only the great rifting community on Xanadu kept me turning up; but nearly 4 hours for a single event?  By the end I'm definitely just slogging it out and waiting for the end.

Here's a fun thought; instead of making rifts harder by adding more damage sponges, how about adding in some extra critter variants that either ignore certain armour types, or even disable enchants within a short radius?  Mechanics that would challenge established players (who rely on their uber-gear) while still not massively disadvantaging newer ones.  Critters designed to take down endgame armour would definitely spice things up.

Drop wave 4 for a special spawn - a giant one-off boss with decent loot that only spawns if a certain number of players in local have over a certain undisclosed participation threshold.

• Like 2

I'd rather do rifts on epic than xanadu 😃

• Like 2

On 3/15/2022 at 3:43 AM, Wilczan said:

Rifts are boring, time consuming, poorly rewarding and leave some scars on the land. And you cannot even get decent skill from fighting mobs.

I 100% agree.

2 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

It's closer to 1+ hours there, 1+ hour back on Xanadu; which doesn't help improve things!

Only the great rifting community on Xanadu kept me turning up; but nearly 4 hours for a single event?  By the end I'm definitely just slogging it out and waiting for the end.

Here's a fun thought; instead of making rifts harder by adding more damage sponges, how about adding in some extra critter variants that either ignore certain armour types, or even disable enchants within a short radius?  Mechanics that would challenge established players (who rely on their uber-gear) while still not massively disadvantaging newer ones.  Critters designed to take down endgame armour would definitely spice things up.

Drop wave 4 for a special spawn - a giant one-off boss with decent loot that only spawns if a certain number of players in local have over a certain undisclosed participation threshold.

I don't even do rifts anymore since there is not enough incentive for the scheduling and time involved. (Yes I am on Xan.) But they've also become quite boring for me at this point. Always the same thing every time. Nothing exciting, new or even really challenging anymore. Basically just a time suck with little to show for it.

• Like 2

rifts HAD good concept of rewarding new items, sadly useless non-improveable(personal opinion), all items are now old and things could be spiced up with a whole bunch of new ones, or upgradeable versions of the existing ones, with same or different looks, or entirely new items; gem-socketing system was introduced and buried as useless with only few items using it, runes could use some bump and allow runeslots to be carved into gear based on ql... and chances off the ql, maybe causing damage to the items on fail to socket/attach/replace/remove.., etc; there are existing mechanics that were hinted and left as such instead of used as building blocks to make better items and seek improvement of current gear we have for years

I always recognize old, experienced players damning rifts for a lot of grounds, some of them even reasonable. And of course, the usual Xanaduphobia must not miss. Of course, many old players hate the 100 rifts goal which is in the center of their preoccupations. Not that I do not understand it, but I think that the devs and GM have listened, and seem to have decided. I would welcome a solution anyway, maybe an alternative, comparably hard goal. *)

On the other hand, I saw, over the last years, and now with close to 150 rifts, always new players coming to rifts being impressed and excited, some of them becoming more or less addicted to these combat events.

As to shortening, I do not see much of a point. Waves 1 and 2 are in no way complicated, but allow to familiarize with the terrain, and, for newcomers, to get used to the mobs' tactics and behaviour. Combat density is then increasing, so is variety of mobs, like summoners, casters, and ogres, arriving in increasing numbers.

Anyway, going back to the old 3 wave scheme would not be unreasonable, making 1 and 2 in one while increasing 3 a bit, shortening 4 somewhat, and offering significant reward for defeating  the warmaster. Crippling rifts to half time, or half number of mobs would be a shame. Rifts, as they are now, can be done in bit more than 2 hours even by combat parties of five or so, if shunning the WM, as proven again yesterday on Xanadu.

There are already too few mob combat challenges in PvE, rifts are the only halfways serious one. It would be good to have some more of that kind.

*) Edit: A nasty alternative 😎 would be: only 25 rifts, but in addition skill 50 prayer for non priests, and something comparably terrible for priests 🤑.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ekcin said:

and something comparably terrible for priests

This is the design philosophy that has made me hate many of Wurm's mechanics. Goals have to be grindy....they have to be terrible. They have to be ugly. 

None can be fun though, oh lord, heaven forbid that. Everything has to be atrociously boring. 

Is Wurm really the only game that has a particular hatred to fun? To fun mechanics? To easy things? Or at least if not "easy" at least rewarding? 

• Like 1