Sign in to follow this  
gorgian

Cross sever bridges + Wagoner system

Cross sever bridges + Wagoner system

This would be an end game feat for the community to come together and build.

Plus this gives plays use of the delivery system of large goods.

- This might affect shipping. To off set this. Have cross server shipments be costly like the mailing system. Couple extra silvers should off set this just fine.

Players would need a place to connect to on the boarder. Just before the jumping to an other server. I think this could be achieved. Along with the wagoner/highways system.

Just the back end code might be fun.

Cross server wagoner system would be nice to trade without jumping servers. Decrease the workload of solving ship stuck/disappear while jumping servers. Trades increase.

However, cross server bridges might make people to build loads of bridges, which look like an octopus map from a bird's eye view. A sea trip circle around the map will not be smooth because of the bridges abutment blocking.

Edited by Coach

shipping inter-server, a definite yes.  Packet ships, anyone?

Not keen on the bridges, though.

We've built land bridges/land masses that take you across to other servers before and the way it spawns you in isnt always a 1:1 - if they can fix this, then it would already be possible for cross server bridges.

Tbh I'm torn on this one, I'm all for more options to trade cross server, but at the same time I think its too easy already to just spend all day on deed and not go out and explore and make the world feel alive. I don't think the option to go there on foot is going to encourage more people to be out in the world, they'll just use the Wagoner system for deliveries that otherwise had to be done in person.

I'm also curious to know how this would work on the very server limit as there will be a point where the bridge will have to abruptly end and you go through a loading screen. Presumably there would need to be some overlap between the bridges on each side, then theres the issue of "plotting a course" as I would assume its going to be impossible getting these bridges to match up in positioning on every server. Maybe thats where a background mechanic would need to be involved that puts you onto the closest bridge when you load in, regardless of alignment with the bridge you've just come from.

On 3/12/2022 at 4:08 PM, Coach said:

However, cross server bridges might make people to build loads of bridges, which look like an octopus map from a bird's eye view. A sea trip circle around the map will not be smooth because of the bridges abutment blocking.

With any luck a lot of people would be put off by the sheer cost and time required. That being said though I can see competition between coastal deeds who want their place to be the landing point for players coming to their server.

Edited by HawkHawk

If going to have cross server wagoner, then should have to build a port where the wagoner would bring your stuff to, load up your stuff in a Caravel and that would travel across server to another port where it would continue it's wagon trails.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, nicedreams said:

If going to have cross server wagoner, then should have to build a port where the wagoner would bring your stuff to, load up your stuff in a Caravel and that would travel across server to another port where it would continue it's wagon trails.

Yeah, this. No need for bridges... Althoug I imagine determining path for caravel would be nightmare without having equavalent for catseyes on the water...

let the wagoner control specific boat and pay some price to use it while it's between x and y condition(ql/damage), cause z damage per trip or 2... or w/e..

you keep the need of boats and maintenance, tie boat speed to it's ql.. with or w/o a boost or debuff for sending it as 'drone' with "AI" controlling courier or w/e sense tied to it.. there's plenty of mumbo-jumbo lore to explain how it all works and fits in the world as it is

end result is .. either boat appears from A to B after some time.. or it actually moves and you can see it like the wagoner system movement while it delivers..

• Like 2

20 hours ago, kochinac said:

Yeah, this. No need for bridges... Althoug I imagine determining path for caravel would be nightmare without having equavalent for catseyes on the water...

11 hours ago, Finnn said:

let the wagoner control specific boat and pay some price to use it while it's between x and y condition(ql/damage), cause z damage per trip or 2... or w/e..

you keep the need of boats and maintenance, tie boat speed to it's ql.. with or w/o a boost or debuff for sending it as 'drone' with "AI" controlling courier or w/e sense tied to it.. there's plenty of mumbo-jumbo lore to explain how it all works and fits in the world as it is

end result is .. either boat appears from A to B after some time.. or it actually moves and you can see it like the wagoner system movement while it delivers..

On 3/14/2022 at 8:40 PM, TheTrickster said:

Packet ships, anyone?

(Yes, I quoted myself)

Separate but not necessarily exclusive ideas;

• Have a "waterways" system using buoys that functions like the highway system that uses waystones and catseyes.  No need to for a buoy on every tile; just have a maximum allowable distance between them - essentially way points.  Have one end at a landing etc, and the other in the open "sea lanes' bordering the server.
  • Require a wagoner camp and a packet dock on adjacent tiles.  Have the wagoner use the dock and its ship as per Finnn.
  • Treat spawn towns as "port towns" and allow wagoner cartage to the port towns on other servers.  (The idea being that there is then only needed a list of a few destinations that are not on the current server, rather than trying to deal with multiple server databases.)  The recipient gets a letter that their item has arrived at the port and can select additional delivery or go get it themselves.
  • Have the packet dock list items that need delivery and players with ships can opt to cart them.  Could mean slow deliveries, but that would fit the general period of Wurm.  

i'd like to suggest merchant ships.  wagoneer goes to a merchant ship dock.and transfers to the ship. the npc ship sails off to other server and offloads there at a dock. wagoneer takes it from there.  just need to code the wagoneer has and add it to a ship. then code the server jump.  

edit

lol just saw post above.   .ya  like that

Edited by validate

On 3/14/2022 at 1:59 PM, HawkHawk said:

With any luck a lot of people would be put off by the sheer cost and time required. That being said though I can see competition between coastal deeds who want their place to be the landing point for players coming to their server.

Haha good joke. Like any Wurmian would think a small benefit for huge effort is off-putting. I alone have pu together 2 3x21 marble bridges from resources gethering, terraforming and stone cutting was it a week work? Yes was it necessary? No a small one would have do the trick for big ships and the land bridge was good enough for month. But enough people would do it if it's a option

Maybe similar to a weagonear there could be a port option. Ports are connected to other ports even across servers. You need boijes like cat eyes for inter server transport but they are always linked to ports on other servers.  Then interlock the port system with the weagonear system and have you cross server option without like the feeling that it's to easy and powerfull.

I'm going to necro this one cuz I think it's still a good idea even though it takes a lot of work but I had heard through the grapevine that ports were actually a part of a development that was going to take place and then Wala game chess Dev team change did it get buried somewhere under the chair I'm just curious

this is likely easier to achieve by dumping 1 portal at spawn town for the purpose or only 4 possible points.. where players could create platform and tie them to highways etc(have gm/dev work on implementation to teleport player/mount/vehicle).. as in RP context... but essentially well, whole thing to work as stargate portal with or without border-hopping, unsure how amazing this will actually be with the wonky wurm features... like mailbox senseless design for receiving items(only on one server) or hitched creatures and age/caring-for/branding being weird even tho all pve servers share same king/dom etc.. for common travels around;

this will certainly bring havoc to hunting grounds on servers, no ####### doubt about it(that's just # symbols btw, do not mean anything in particular) 

I'm not against an extension of the wagoner system with the addition of ports and cargo ships, just don't see the benefit versus cost in developer time being worth it. I am, however, very against building cross-server bridges. There's already too many land bridges clogging up the inner waterways, since a certain percentage of players find it easier to build a land bridge across large parts of the span rather than add additional segments of bridge. It's just so much easier to dig several K of dirt and make a land bridge than to mine and make bricks and mortar and then make the bridge. So, I could see centipede arms/legs radiating out from every point on the servers, with half of those being just spits of land stretching out blocking travel along the coast where someone started a bridge but then abandoned it for whatever reason. No thanks.