167 members have voted

1. 1. How old are you?

• Under 18
    • 18 - 34
    • 35 - 44
    • 45 - 54
    • 55 - 64
    • 65+

Having a chat about the average age of Wurm players, and whether or not it's a bit higher than that of general gaming.

So, here's a poll. Feel free to share it!

Please don't share your age on the replies if you're not an adult yet, just for your own safety and security.

• Like 5

Currently 24, been here for a while now. Feels like i have always been the youngest in any group here i happened to be part off over the years.

Don't mind it though gave me some interesting perspectives.

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

6 hours ago, PotatoOnStick said:

Currently 24, been here for a while now. Feels like i have always been the youngest in any group here i happened to be part off over the years.

Don't mind it though gave me some interesting perspectives.

Is that in Potato years? I cant imagine a potato lasting 24 years.

• Like 1

Hey @Schiannwhat an intresting thread!

This would be interesting to see more accurate results. 
Maybe something like this?

15 - 18
19 - 24
25 - 28
29 - 34
35 - 39
40 - 44

And so forth. I think then we will definitely see where the spike is.
I'm 32 turning 33 this year -- and while i know there are a few more mature wurmians,
this definitely is a very interesting poll. Will be great to see the final stats!

Edited by SirEvo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Nicrolis said:

Is that in Potato years? I cant imagine a potato lasting 24 years.

Anything, even my unusual acts and moments of maturity can be dragged through the years given it is properly refrigerated.

Back to topic though, from my experience over the years, most people are from what i gathered 30-40 years old but there are clusters of people that are my age. 

They usually maintain a distance or hold to there own groups(me included). As truth be told, spending most of your spare time among people who age-wise could have been your father/mother just feels odd and it does lack a certain connection.

• Like 1

Closing in on 61 here, i'm normally older than the average no matter what games i play, which tend to be survival, exploration solo games, just now hopping between Astroneer, Valheim and Wurm. Age or lack of it is no barrier to enjoying games though, even when the average age is sometimes early 20's or so, (Black Desert, yes, you are immature at times),/ Thing is, as a predominantly solo, mildly misanthropic gamer, Wurm is a perfect world for me, i can be as much of a hermit as I like, yet part of the overall game as well.

I began playing games in 1981/82 with a ZX81, moving on to the Spectrum 48+ not long afterward, then an Atari STE before finally getting my hands on a PC. I'm still not an adult i suppose ...

• Like 7

I started when I was 12, I turn 29 this year.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Rudie said:

Glad I am not the only one who started at such a young age lol. I started at 12 as well in late 2007. Now I will be turning 27 this year and it will be 15 years since I got addicted to wurm...... I mean started playing wurm lol. 

Edited by brattygirl
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Archaed said:

I was born at a very young age

1/1 Benjamin Buttons are offended by this statement

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 9:19 AM, brattygirl said:

Glad I am not the only one who started at such a young age lol. I started at 12 as well in late 2007. Now I will be turning 27 this year and it will be 15 years since I got addicted to wurm...... I mean started playing wurm lol. 

On 3/10/2022 at 7:18 AM, Rudie said:

We're all youngsters! I was 14 when I started, turning 30 this year!

On 3/10/2022 at 7:41 AM, SirEvo said:

15 - 18
19 - 24
25 - 28
29 - 34
35 - 39
40 - 44

I'm 32 turning 33 this year -- and while i know there are a few more mature wurmians,
this definitely is a very interesting poll. Will be great to see the final stats!

I originally thought to use narrower groups, but this graph was shared in GL chat, and I thought it would make a great comparison chart:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/189582/age-of-us-video-game-players/

So far, it does look like Wurm may have a slightly older playerbase than average. At least of forum users, anyway. 😉

• Like 1

A majority of my wurm friends are older than 50, majority of them do not use the forums either, or rarely interact on them when they do..this graph at least shows the current vocal age of the community is millennial in essence, somewhat explains the absolute aggression in the forum threads ;0 

Editing to add that this is humour, seeing the 60+ are older, thought id make it obvious.

Edited by Blazecraze
memes
  • Like 3

While certainly not scientific, getting 95 respondents just from the forum is a pretty impressive sampling for Wurm.

@SchiannEven having 95 users on the forum for a game that probably has less than 400 unique players these days is impressive! Good job man.

On 3/10/2022 at 5:41 PM, SirEvo said:

15 - 18
19 - 24
25 - 28
29 - 34
35 - 39
40 - 44

You mean more precise.  A single group of 0 - 120 would be perfectly accurate but uselessly imprecise.

Definitely into the "picking up speed" age groups. (as in, "over the hill and")

On 3/10/2022 at 10:13 PM, Zenity said:

Wurm is a perfect world for me, i can be as much of a hermit as I like, yet part of the overall game as well.

This.

I also started on a ZX81, as well C64 and Acorn Electron.  Mostly the 64 - with tape deck storage.

Ah the C64 days.Games on Tape... and you would need the below tool for emergency rewinds!

mvaaVFM.jpg

and £1 would get you a copy of Zzap64!

hxoaySY.jpg

Back on Topic.... im old!

• Like 5

I appreciate this question because I have often felt that WO's audience skews older than the average game.  Even if the results can't be rigorous, I applaud the spirit of inquiry.

And while it is considered impolite to ask a witch her age, she'll give you a hint.  And if you know, you know. :)

X6tMbEN.png

• Like 5

Voted. Turned 57 today.

Wurm is a perfect world for me, i can be as much of a hermit as I like, yet part of the overall game as well.

This also.

I started on the US version of the ZX81, the T/S 1000, and a TRS-80 from Radio Shack.  The first real "PC" with DOS (PC DOS 1.0) we had was an IBM 5150 with a serial number under 1000. I wish I would have saved that PC instead of cannibalizing the parts for later PC's, it would probably be worth something these days.

32 currently but I keep on forgetting how old I am when people ask me in person.  As in I actually fully forget. Like,  age does not matter much anymore.

• Like 2