Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

Dead cared for creature

I recently returned from a lengthy absence just to find one of my cared-for creatures no longer here. It was definitely cared for and I had 0 slots left before going inactive. 

When I returned, I had one slot open again and the creature was dead.

The creature was a Venerable Fat Champion Werewolf.

I'm not sure at what point it died due to my inactivity but coming back to this, I was told to make a bug report since cared-for creatures shouldn't perish.

Edited by Yldrania

They shouldn't, but I have been warned before that sometimes there's a glitch when server resets happen - I know a few people who've lost cared for creatures that way (I lost a GM-named wildcat that way too, once). It sucks, but might explain what's happened here assuming it didn't starve (which caring for doesn't prevent).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Homestead said:

But they can still starve to death.

All my animals were still Fat when I returned, so I think starvation as cause here is highly unlikely. Of course I can't dispute it 100% but given the circumstances I don't think that's what happened.

On 2/25/2022 at 11:02 PM, Homestead said:

They do not die of old age.

But they can still starve to death.

I don't think this is supposed to happen

3 hours ago, vince77 said:

I don't think this is supposed to happen

Caring for a creature only prevents death by old age; so they can absolutely still starve, die from combat, lava etc.

In this case, though, Yldrania's deed covers an island and she has no immediate neighbours (people in local affects how fast animals go hungry) so it's unlikely to be starvation.

• Like 2

If a cared for animal dies, it will show the cause of death in the mouseover of the corpse, such as (damage) or (starvation). As crimsonearth said, caring for only prevents death by old age, it has no effect on other causes of death.

It's well-known too that cared-for pregnant females can die from misscarriages, especially if the deed ratio is bad (or they're off-deed).

Some info:

the cared for creature was a male, so miscarriage is not an option.

I wasn't around when it died so I can't see the reason for his death on his corpse, I can only notice that he's gone.

He was kept in a large enchanted grass meadow with his girlfriend, who is still Fat right now. Only he died, and I don't think it could have been starvation due to the female being Fat upon my return.

This leaves a bug which caused the animal to die despite cared for, which is why I reported it here.

On 2/25/2022 at 11:32 AM, Homestead said:

They do not die of old age.

Does anyone have a link to where a developer posted that indeed Cared For Animals absolutely will not die of old age ever thereby making them immortal?

Bug report created. Thank you for the information provided!

• Like 1