Sign in to follow this  
Ajala

Fishing missions

"Vynora commands you to catch 200 herring"

That kind of thing.

Surprised they don't exist already to be honest.

• Like 5

but why....

fish is useless

fishing kills fatigue and is slow

it's just not fun and not useful

in addition is one of the most complicated wogical messes in wurm

why do you want to put people into a trap to do it to get sleep bonus

• Like 3

have a feeling that would be the kind of mission that wont get done.

Just now, Stinboi said:

It'll get done quicker than anything involving tracking down a single mob on Xan.

• Like 5

Yes please! I like this idea. Could also add missions to forage/botanize for specific things :) 

Edited by Vorticella
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stinboi said:

sadly.. will be.. as it's easy, but definitely not fun or warding, etc..

---

not like making 50 chairs is better, but at least you wont be making a rishing rod/pole, reel, lines, lines, hooks, maintain all that .... and find some bait to use.. 

1 hour ago, Vorticella said:

Yes please! I like this idea. Could also add missions to forage/botanize for specific things :) 

that's already a thing with sacrifice 2-500 flowers(not for/bot); it's gardening and requires quite insane amount of flowers to be gathered and tossed in the trash from existence

similar with acorns, SEEDLINGS for ivy and something else, woad, I think these were part of such missions, most of the supply for these is purely foraging/botanizing

one of the worst new additions is .. hay.. something disgusting to produce, watching a starting high number, that only drops lower and lower and lower and LOWER, no matter what your skill is or what you do.. you just get penalized or looks that way all the way until you get some hay; add in addition the nerf/bug or w/e that 3x expanded the timer to cut grass, mmhh adorable state of that mechanic

Edited by Finnn

Why not add this? I don't see how fishing would be any more tedious, time consuming or boring than most of the other missions. As Ajala stated:

3 hours ago, Ajala said:

It'll get done quicker than anything involving tracking down a single mob on Xan.

And I have to agree. The only traitor mobs I've dispatched on Xan were not the ones I spent far too much time trying to hunt down but the ones I happened to randomly chance upon while doing other things.

With a few exceptions, traitor missions and slay x number of this creature are about the only missions I have done.  I gave a shovel to an avatar once, but even that as because I already had spares and he was right next door.  Even traitor missions are on a "well, it looks nearby" basis for me.

Most Valrei mission and journal tasks (beyond the basics) have this in common; you wouldn't do them except to the mission reward because there is no reward, or only marginal reward, apart from that.

Fishing is needlessly complicated for little reward.  Its mission reward would probably not be sufficient to make it worth doing for me.

Edited by TheTrickster

1 hour ago, Katrat said:

Why not add this? I don't see how fishing would be any more tedious, time consuming or boring than most of the other missions. As Ajala stated:

And I have to agree. The only traitor mobs I've dispatched on Xan were not the ones I spent far too much time trying to hunt down but the ones I happened to randomly chance upon while doing other things.

Have you done any fishing in wurm?

add huge % of the time to spawn a fish or bait on the hook for spear/pole fishing and scale it more with player's skill than the place where it's done, and you'll have it more fun as it takes less time to progress and get to do something more than (MAINLY)stare and wait

remove fatigue from fishing, completely or reduce it to something like 20%; currently .. a simple throw of fishing net takes 1 minute, woa doesnt affect the timer afaik; in addition the pole/rod fishing takes some nutty time of 20-30-40 seconds before a fish appears, similar or identical time with spear-fishing; if somebody can call that fun and entertaining.. good for them, just them🙁

20 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

With a few exceptions, traitor missions and slay x number of this creature are about the only missions I have done.  I gave a shovel to an avatar once, but even that as because I already had spares and he was right next door.  Even traitor missions are on a "well, it looks nearby" basis for me.

Most Valrei mission and journal tasks (beyond the basics) have this in common; you wouldn't do them except to the mission reward because there is no reward, or only marginal reward, apart from that.

Fishing is needlessly complicated for little reward.  I mission reward would probably not be sufficient to make it worth doing for me.

Some of the give x to y.. might need an update to be 50-75% done, and have 80-90% of the time or at 100% to still credit the participants, instead of failing the mission... but that's QoL for another time ..5-10 years from now..

Small servers and looking at 20 participants could be serious task, even when several keep bringing alts in carts or boats to do the mission or summon literally anybody online, some days are slow and with low population to cover these requirements.

Fishing missions would be a good mission in my mind, personally i like fishing and my pigs like the fish as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Finnn said:

Have you done any fishing in wurm?

Yes I have Finnn and I find it very relaxing when I have the time to do it. Pole fishing has always been a practice of patients. And the proper hooks and bait tend to trim the time down a little bit.

6 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Fishing is needlessly complicated for little reward.  I mission reward would probably not be sufficient to make it worth doing for me.

Honestly I don't feel any of the missions are worth the little reward for the time and energy they consume. Certainly not on Xan. With the exception of the "dig and investigate" items that are easily found on the waterways that is.

I would not mind reasonable fishing missions at all. Having finished the fishing goals for journal I've not gone out fishing again, but I actually did enjoy the time I spent on that. It is a complex system but it is not that hard really, it would be a bit like getting a mission to cook specific recipes (which would also get me back in the kitchen again lol). 

The main thing to me is that whatever the mission, the numbers needed seriously need to be adjusted to more realistically reflect the population now. Making, killing, saccing hundreds of whatever is a non starter most of the time now, and I rarely do missions at all now the journal goal on them is done too. I'd actually enjoy doing them again if they had any reasonable chance of success.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tilda said:

a mission to cook specific recipes

This too.

5 hours ago, Tilda said:

The main thing to me is that whatever the mission, the numbers needed seriously need to be adjusted to more realistically reflect the population now. Making, killing, saccing hundreds of whatever is a non starter most of the time now, and I rarely do missions at all now the journal goal on them is done too. I'd actually enjoy doing them again if they had any reasonable chance of success.

Sac 525 decent lanterns mission on Release...yeah, that's not even 2% completed atm. 

And it will never be. Would realistically require about 20 players cooperating together to make 25 lanterns each, and that's a generous stretch. Know how often those 525 decent items get done? I have rarely seen it happen in years of playing. Realistically missions would be more fun if they were at least half decreased in difficulty. 

I challenge any dev to play for a month with the goal of just completing missions, or attempting to do them. Then please tell me how this is good game design. Was it fun? Was it rewarding? You feel all that karma amounts to anything? 

Now imagine a mission with "catch 25 marlin".  Let's see, you need a good rod, bait, high ql fishing reel so it doesn't snap, high ql hook so it doesn't break either, a pendulum with LitD, and a lot of time to be lucky enough to find the required tile.... no thanks .

I never made it a secret that I despised the fishing update with all my bones for a very simple reason: you took a simple working system with a simple reward (fish) and transformed it into a complicated nightmare that gives the amazing reward of ... fish. 

How about we reassess how difficulty is rewarded in Wurm? Because I have the feeling a lot of people avoid a good chunk of Wurm's content for the simple reason the rewards are simply shitty for the amount of effort they require. Just my 2 cents. I don't want Wurm to be easier. I want it to be more rewarding considering the huge timesink some things require. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, elentari said:

you took a simple working system with a simple reward (fish) and transformed it into a complicated nightmare that gives the amazing reward of ... fish. 

That's kinda why I made this suggestion in the first place.

Personally, I prefer fishing to other stuff other people seem to enjoy, like imping.

As for overall mission design, I'd be interested in seeing a comparative analysis of missions between servers. Here on Xan, any mission that includes "located within X map squares of Y" will almost certainly never been completed, unless the X happens to be within the draw distance of somebody's deed or a traveler randomly kills the named mob. It would be challenging enough if we were just given one Xan map square to search, but NINE?!? ###### that.

1 hour ago, elentari said:

Now imagine a mission with "catch 25 marlin".  Let's see, you need a good rod, bait, high ql fishing reel so it doesn't snap, high ql hook so it doesn't break either, a pendulum with LitD, and a lot of time to be lucky enough to find the required tile.... no thanks .

Lol I hear you, I'd pass on that too! I was thinking more of 'regular' fish caught with net, spear, pole for example instead of 'special tile' fish which require the more high end equipment and skill. Might lead to more actually finding enjoyment in fishing, might even make some kind of a market that doesn't really exist right now in fishing gear and supplies. Also agree the rewards for the effort and cost involved in a lot  of things needs some serious rebalancing :)

• Like 1

Yes, please - add fishing! I appear to be one of the few who do all sorts of missions. Although I rarely need the sleep bonus, I do like getting the karma to fuel my sorcery. I am often the one on Cadence who recruits people to give items to the gods, at least on the south side of the island. Besides, it is the only thing I know of in game that feels anything like a quest. ❤️

Fo demands you sac 100 *type* fish.

• There should be some mission fishing pools you have to find that change each mission. Then try to catch a certain amount of mission fish in total with the server.
  • Use fishing pendulum to help find these pools.  Add a new graphic for the mission spot in the water.  Maybe make the mission tile have fishing jumping out of it or have a strange glow.
  • There would be certain amount of different special fishing tiles and not require high fishing skill do to mission.  Can be along the shoreline or middle of lake/ocean.
  • Have to sacrifice the fish for the mission which means you need a keep net or a way to keep the mission fish alive until you can sac them.
  • Add a random bait needed during the mission to catch the mission fish to make it a little more interesting.
  • Maybe have the tile be used up and have to hunt for another mission tile to fish.  Might be a little too much work though at this point.

Or just have (insert your God here) demand you sac a random amount of a specific fish.  I'd like to hunt for a mission fish tile though.

I like how World of Warcraft did their random fishing pools and weekend quests.  Should do something fun like that.

Edited by nicedreams
Formatting

10 hours ago, nicedreams said:

I'd like to hunt for a mission fish tile though.

Not on Xan, are you?

On 3/6/2022 at 9:31 PM, Archaed said:

Can they be called fishions? 

Oh, woe,  I think like Archaed!