Sign in to follow this  
Joshh

Plans for population growth?

On 3/4/2022 at 2:12 AM, validate said:

agree  too many servers, and keeping whats left apart. is making it worse.   join the servers.  and put up more sales. exp weekends. events and advertise the game.  give out gifts for simply logging in X amount of days.  vet rewards like other games do.  give us reasons to get in the game more.   my main has over 350 days in game over 10 yrs. but 320 of those days were the first 5 years alone.  I find players to spread out. we need easier travel double the wind speed for boats.  portals to starter towns. add more starter towns to the old servers that only have one.   maybe do something like allowing players to ride with wagoneers. hitch a ride from deed to deed. could be fun riding around the servers that way.

i wish i could win the lotto and invest in the game ,  

I approached the owners to see if they are interested in selling, but got no response

• Like 1

On 3/30/2022 at 11:06 AM, griper said:

Long time player here that has been on a long break.

I sometimes think I should get back into this game and starts browsing the forums. But then I realize there is nothing to do besides building a new deed for the gazillionth time.

Treasure hunting is definitely new

3 hours ago, Rihanna said:

Treasure hunting is definitely new

built on top of broken bottable mechanic, so far still unaddressed

On 4/24/2022 at 1:36 PM, Finnn said:

nice, 

Premiered 10 hours ago

free advertising

I returned because of this vid, but disappointed that a lot ot the issues raised on that video still left unadressed or fixed after several months

6 hours ago, Joko said:

I returned because of this vid, but disappointed that a lot ot the issues raised on that video still left unadressed or fixed after several months

That video was from 23. April, so about 2-3 months by now... putting it as if so much time passed where all of the issues Josh pointed out should have been fixed feels weird to me.

Not to mention that sometimes what to us looks like a quick and easy fix, is not just a quick and easy fix and once changes have been made there needs to be testing and so on and forth...

Also, anyone who ever played Wurm knows how slow progress is made because the Team is small and mostly volunteers.

Right now they are working on stuff as they planed, just cause someone throws a video on YouTube does not mean that the team will put their announced plans on hold (Exploration Part II) and shift to work on the points mentioned in a video.

I am sure changes will be introduced sooner or later, but things need more time than roughly 3 months... also it is easy to point out a flaw, but coming up with an idea to fix it and the fix itself can take quite some time.

Don't get me wrong, I like the video, I like Josh and I do think he has many valid points in the video, but in terms of Wurm people need to ground their expecations and be a bit more real.

Things change, but slowly - some people may say it is soooo slow that by the time we have the badly required changes the game will be dead... then again, people said Wurm is dead already years ago and here we are still playing. ;)

• Like 1

It's a rule in programming that things take at least two or three times longer than you initially think, and more like ten times if you think it's something small. When you know about this rule and overestimate the time accordingly, it will still take longer than you think.

• Like 4

Solving a problem is not binary. Not everything needs to be solved in one patch. Instead, you can make progress towards the solution and roll it out in smaller stages.

Question is: Has that happened?

On 7/6/2022 at 5:21 AM, Joko said:

lies, that one window with weird text is now fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plenty of other windows with odd sizing exist.. one of the odd ones is mailing items.. and that's probably often used but ignored.

If there's time for small qol fixes to such features, maybe that needs a thread for quickfixes.. and a mod/dev/ or somebody to filter what is really this and what is that.... to pile up a list of such small fixable things

we had several patches about AH trait windows and sizes.. I think they are still messed up.. but I've given up using them.. we still lack the keybinds and option to quick preview traits without opening windows and closing them manually... try to review a huge herd without 3rd party program and a spreadsheet to make sense of your ingame herd.. it's practically impossible without generating a headache(sure, you could kill most to save yourself from it)

Content is still developer focused, planned and implemented - working, but experience from using it.. is not part of the design process or end goal, and... ehh.. we mostly get to experience the content... that's what it's all about.. 

On 3/12/2022 at 4:36 AM, sweatygopher said:

Ultimately we can have this discussion all day but we're already here, so our point doesn't matter.  Anyone who likes the game in it's existing form doesn't have any input to give as they enjoy the existing game.  They really need to reach out to the other 10,000+ that tried it and left.

Clearly all those users wanted to like it, they wanted to find a home here.

Well I tried out the game about a decade ago and quit after two days, and recently started with Wurm Unlimited so I feel like I have a foot in both doors so to speak. My worthless 2 cents:

1. "the game feels old" as a lot of people would say. Half of that is the kinesthetics are garbage. You can't jump, walking is slow and it feels like you're floating above the ground, the animations barely exist. The basic feel of the game walking around and fighting and doing things is very thin. As someone who is just old enough to have played a MUD briefly right when they stopped existing, this game feels like a thin graphical interface over a mud and this isn't a deal breaker to me but it's an instant turn off for a lot of people who have simply either gotten used to the improvement in this regard or are younger and take them for granted. The other half is the graphics which I probably don't need to elaborate on.

2. There are significant barriers to getting started in this game. I don't know what the tutorial is like now versus ten years ago when I tried it but needless to say for a game that demands so much of you in terms of time and learning the complexities of the game the on ramp needs to be as smooth as you can possibly get it. A lot of players who would otherwise enjoy the sort of game this is are going to quit because they can't figure out what to do or there are too many hassles to getting started (finding empty space, mobs spawning everywhere)  and other games are more accessible. I spent a year of my life playing nothing but Dwarf Fortress and I still thought this game was too hard to get into. 

3. A core aspect of the game, the building, is simply done better elsewhere. The terrain modification and building was probably revolutionary when the game released but there are a ton of survival/crafting games now that don't deal with the square grid limitations, and they also let you toss up servers so you can play those multiplayer too. I don't know if the online half has more content than unlimited but I was frankly shocked at how little options you have in terms of furniture and decorations in this game, this seems like one of the simpler sorts of content to add and for a game that has existed so long it's legitimately weird there aren't more options.

Given that I don't play the online version of this game, I actually have a question: What is the value added to this game being an MMO? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is a persistent world where the long grind to skill up holds value, essentially being a game for people who have a very high tolerance of delayed gratification. If the game had better core gameplay (combat/building) I think more people would tolerate the long grind to mastery. Alternately if you ditch the grind and go all in on an accessible and decently quick creative sandbox I think people would play that too, but the combination of an outdated sandbox with a long grind is going to be a very niche thing.

Edited by Sarandosil
  • Like 1