Sign in to follow this  
Ajala

Help for Ukrainian players?

I play Eve Online sometimes, and I saw today that some players there are organizing to defend Ukrainian players' property from attack, during a time where obviously their play time may be limited due to circumstances beyond their control. It's a full PvP game, and being offline is a surefire way to lose your hard-earned stuff.

It struck me as a great idea, and I wondered whether something similar might be warranted in Wurm. 

Wurm is obviously a much smaller game than Eve, with not much PvP going on, but it's still possible to lose your stuff if you're offline for an extended period.

I don't know whether we even have any Ukrainian players, but it seems possible, and I think it would be a nice gesture if there was a way to support them.

I don't know if game mechanics allow for people to do stuff like feeding animals, donating to deed upkeep, or keeping stuff repaired, but I assume Code Club AB has a rough idea where its customers are based.

Maybe if there's a Ukrainian player who suddenly stops logging in during the war, their deeds could be grandfathered so when things hopefully get back to normal at home they can come back to the game to find all their stuff intact?

Just an idea.

(I'm not going to engage in any IRL political debate and I've nothing against any Russian players out there.)

• Like 4

I think this is something the GMS can intervene on, for players that have repeatedly logged in from Ukraine. From what I know the team can verify IP sign in location. 

GMs could potentially "freeze" deed upkeep until the Ukraine <> Russia war is over. 

+1 for an honourable suggestion. Personally I would also add the same rule applied to our russian wurmians. God knows the average citizen in Russia isn't to blame for this horrible reality, especially if some are conscripted and the sanctions now imposed on their country will render many citizens poor by the end of the year. 

• Like 11

I think they are more in need of real life help right now and I can't help but wonder how many on both sides are never coming back. :(

• Like 5

Why only now? I'm just curious.

The war in Ukraine has been going on for 7 years now. 14k Ukrainians died in the civil war since the military coup in 2014.

All these initiatives are commendable, but a bit too late I'm afraid.

• Like 2

Well it's a difference between Russia backing separatists with resources and money in east Ukraine vs launching a full scale invasion while calling it a "military operation". My own country has already taken in half a million refugees by now and more are pouring in every day. 

I know they need help with a lot of things. Just saying that every minor gesture can still count. Not all of us have military training and gear to pick up a rifle and fight against a dictator's madness. 

• Like 2