Sign in to follow this  
Schiann

Road re-route proposal, east Crystal Lake/Eastern Plains area

I'd like to extend the small section of W-E highway that runs from Land's End (where the Orient Express tunnel comes out) straight to the new(er) highway across the Eastern Plains. In the process, some of the dead-end highway (the squiggled out bit) and some reduntant pathways could be eliminated, making for a much more direct route to the steppe.

I live in the area, so I've scouted around, spoken to some neighbours and I don't see any settlements near that would be affected, but I wanted to raise it to the community before just barreling through.

If nobody has any problem with the road being made, I'd love to have help getting it done quickly so we don't put anyone out.

The thick red line is the proposed new stretch of highway.

Any thoughts? Objections?

VSJdfoY.png

• Like 3

If it's a catseye highway at East Plains Highway, then I'd suggest you leave it in place and just build your new highway instead.  Just riding around looking for settlements by itself really isn't enough to say you have permission from current residents in the area that may or may not use it or have deeds positioned where the current course is more convenient for them.  The change isn't just a simple reroute and the destruction of the existing highway isn't necessary for you to complete your new planned highway.

Gud'morning folks,

Sunday, Feb 27th, 2022 at 14:34 GMT

+1 ......  I do own a deed in the area and I vote YES to what Schiann proposes.  Great Idea  !!!

Once Schiann and friends get the new route installed, we will be moving the East Plain Hwy name down to the new more direct route.

The old zig-zagging northern route will then become an unnamed minor side road highway.

FYI - Some history...

This is not the first rerouting proposal to straighten out the East Plain Hwy the Albia Map Team has seen.

Someone did propose this a few years ago but then took a Wum break and the project stalled and nothing happened.

FYI ... the current East Plains Hwy it is Not an operational Cats Eyes Highway.

It just dead ends at 54x - 39y/40y in the middle of no where as a string of Blue CE's.

Also the East Plains Hwy does not go all the way though to the East Coast like it used to as it was cut in half by parties unknown to us west of Devil's Shadow several years ago which is why that name is only on the western part of this route.

So the re-route Schian is proposing will actually improve access to the East Plains hunting area as well as providing a better connection and shorter travel time for travelers and wagoners carrying cargo to deeds on the East-South-East coast of Indy.

We wish her the best with her project as it will be benefit all travelers in eastern Indy.

Kindest regards,

Hughmongus

Cartographer of Indy

Co-Administrator - The Albia Roads Map of Indy and The Albia Cats Eyes Hwy Map of Indy

19 hours ago, Tristanc said:

If it's a catseye highway at East Plains Highway, then I'd suggest you leave it in place and just build your new highway instead.  Just riding around looking for settlements by itself really isn't enough to say you have permission from current residents in the area that may or may not use it or have deeds positioned where the current course is more convenient for them.  The change isn't just a simple reroute and the destruction of the existing highway isn't necessary for you to complete your new planned highway.

You're right, Tristanc - riding around looking for settlements isn't really enough, because it doesn't take into account the folks that are in the wider area that might be affected though increased traffic, exposing "hidden" settlements, etc. That's why I wanted to put it on the forum, as well. Anyone who knows me knows I am quite anti-road, especially on steppes, so I definitely wouldn't want to approach a highway lightly. :)  (@Brash_Endeavorscould speak about my views on roads in the area, lol. We got a bit of a talking to from Enki once.... ;))

I just figure if we're gonna have roads, they may as well be as straight as we can make them, and reduce reduntant/dead end/unused ones.

I've been in the same spot (Oak Harbour) a long time, and I'm pretty familiar with folks all around the area, including the east coast, and have talked to most of them.  
LordLouis and I had planned on doing this years ago, but a settlement popped up right in the way of the planned route, so it was scrapped. That settlement is long gone now.  Part of the reason I thought this might be a good time to do the work is because there aren't many folks settled around here these days.

Hughmongus is probably the closest neighbour to be affected by this change, so I'm glad to see he's OK with it. As he noted, the part of the highway I squiggled out is a dead-end now, that just stops in the middle of the woods. There's a hunting cabin out there (and I certainly wouldn't remove their road access), but the 1 deed that was nearby disbanded some months ago. 

Anyway, just to reiterate, I promise I care about how the other folks around the coast/steppe area feel, and I'd never make a highway without their input.

• Like 5

As the owner of 2 deeds, one on the steppe, and one just by the edge of the steppe, this project has my wholehearted support. As far as i am aware there is perhaps only one other deed in the area, by the northern end of the steppe that's already on another highway anyway.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2022 at 6:10 PM, Schiann said:

I just figure if we're gonna have roads, they may as well be as straight as we can make them, and reduce reduntant/dead end/unused ones.

[snip, snip]

LordLouis and I had planned on doing this years ago, but a settlement popped up right in the way of the planned route, so it was scrapped.

Yes, I now remember, it was LordLouis who 1st contacted me to advise me that he was going to drive a straight line East Plains Hwy.

Thank you Schiann for explaining what killed that project.  Nice to see it will now be executed.

Reducing the amount of unused paving (like abandoned village sites) does encourage newbies as it gives them "blank slate" to work with when they find a place they like.

We regularly get msg's from folks who are going around removing old pavement from abandoned village sites.

We look forward to doing the Tile count survey and adding it to the Indy Roads Map.

Kindest regards,

Hughmongus

Cartographer of Indy,

Co-Administrator - The Albia Roads Map of Indy

• Like 1

Got started on the road yesterday. I've managed to get it to the edge of the steppe so far. No catseyes down just yet, but it's a useable route straight out to the Eastern Plains.

• Like 3

Sunday,March 6th at 06:14 GMT

Thank you for the heads up Schiann.

IF I can get Wurm to work I will try and get over there to give it a Tile count for the upcoming map update.

It has been crashing on loading multiple times for the past two days and the only solution so far is

1... restart my laptop    2... deleting and reloading the Jar files....    each time I want to log in.

Kindest regards,

Hughmongus

Cartographer of Indy

My apologies to anyone put off by the round cobblestones. I just happened to have several crates of those, so that's what I used. 😛

Quite an epic ramp up the mountains to avoid cutting up the steppe...
FLprPDc.png

Edited by Schiann
  • Like 8

Got catseyes down, so highway now all done.

@HughMongus - the waystone at the west end of the highway is one of yours, and I think might be redundant now. I didn't want to bash it, since I know you'll be over to count tiles at some point. Figured I'd leave it to you to check and see if that waystone can be removed or not, since you can just swap it with a catseye and move signs around as needed.

Edited by Schiann
  • Like 1

Gud'morning Schiann,

Wednesday, March 9th, 2022 at 16:37 GMT

We were going to post the delayed a few days Sunday Map update (still unpacking from our RL move to our new home), but we will hold off for a few hours whilst I get a Survey Crew over there to tile count the new Highway.

BTW, photo looks wonderful. Great job and no objections to  the rounded cobble.

As for the Waystone at the west end of the old highway turn off, I would be inclined to leave it as Waystones "along the way" give people a chance to read "how many tiles left" until my destination as they travel.  This why there are sometimes Waystones in the middle no where along a stretch of highway.

As for the Highway Destination Arrow signs, my alt at Albia Crystal handles those and he can definitely retrieve those for you.

Per the Highway Lamp Lighting Etiquette, named street lamps Will STOP at where the highways breaks out of the woods into the Eastern Plains.

Thank you for an excellent piece of Wurm-geneering.  IT looks great.

Warmest regards,

Hughmongus

Cartographer of Indy

41 minutes ago, HughMongus said:

As for the Waystone at the west end of the old highway turn off, I would be inclined to leave it as Waystones "along the way" give people a chance to read "how many tiles left" until my destination as they travel.  This why there are sometimes Waystones in the middle no where along a stretch of highway.

Makes sense to me. Because of the way the main Crystal Lake highway shifts over at the crossroads, there are 2 waystones close together, but they're certainly not hurting anything. (Did have to shift the new one around a bit, because it was pointing in exactly the wrong direction for Lindsay's Last Resort. Would have been a very confusing time for anyone looking for them!)

• Like 1

Gud'morning Schiann,

Sunday, March 13th, 2022 at 08:14 PDT (or 15:15 GMT)

Apologies for the delay, been RL busy, but finally found the time to do the tile count survey of the relocated East Plains Highway.

Nice job on the 2nd Waystone at the junction of East Crystal and East Plains on the west end.  Perfect solution!

A very nice "rolling through the hills" drive you have done there on the western part, reminds me very much of the English midlands countryside.

Very, very nice job on cleaning up that old town site half way along as well as the removal of the dead end stub on eastern part of the old EP highway that went no where.

BTW, that waystone where the old highway ended is not one of mine.  I did not do the Cats Eyeing of that highway.  From examining it, someone called Kalamazoo made the old EP highway.

Now all that needs to be done is join the two highways at the east end so wagneer's can use it.

https://prnt.sc/LiVSaujY9qBp  An easy fix, 1st remove your waystone on the end, then using a new one, do a Replace for the Cats Eye marked by the blue rectangle on the hwy you are joining into.

Doing that will automatically tie the three together diagonally making a right angle three way corner.

Sorry but the mayor of the Albia Crystal Hunting Lodge is a Non Prem so he could not it fix up and connect the east end to the existing north south Shinra Hwy.

What a lovely piece of Wurm Engineering,  Well Done!

Kindest regards,

Hughmongus

Cartographer of Indy

Co-Administrator - The Albia Roads Map of Indy

Everything should be linked up now.

Also removed the defunct waystone at the old junction. Will pry up old catseyes eventually.

Still working on removing old pavements around that large, old settlement, and "re-wilding" here and there in the area.

• Like 1

Gud'morning Schiann,

Thursday, March 17th, 2022 at 09:47 PDT (or 16:47 GMT)

Magnificent job Schiann.  Everything does link up nicely.

https://prnt.sc/KI_5cu-1v_TT

While I was out their tile counting for the map up date, I Fixed the east end junction with Shinra Hwy for you Schiann by replanting two cats eyes to make a nicer looking corner.

I am sure Skyefox would love to hear from you via a Note in the Albia Roads Map forum topic when you finish "de-paving" that old mess of concrete straddling the highway at the abandoned site.   Would help us with map updating.

Keep up the good work!

Kindest regards,

Hughmongus

Cartographer of Indy

• Like 1